As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So, I just got an unsollicited text message from Québec Proud. Is there anything I can do beyond blocking them? Reporting them to my phone company or the cops?

I’m guessing your best bet would be to report the text to your phone company. The cops probably won’t do a thing or even have an answer for you.

Maybe talk to your MP / MLA (aka their staff) about it? Sometimes interesting things come of that.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't talk to my MP if they and I were the last two people on Earth.

And I've talked to my MP, good natured guy, Gord Johns. Oh well, sorry to hear FPTP fucked ya on having an MP you don't feel comfortable talking to.

steam_sig.png
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Doug had to demote Fedeli, he has to run a bulldozer remember?

'Ford is promising to develop infrastructure to access the remote mining area in the James Bay lowlands.
    "If I have to hop on that bulldozer myself with Vic on the other one, we're going to start building the roads to get to the mining," he said.
    "There's over $60 billion up there. It's going to benefit local people but it's also going to benefit everyone in Ontario."'

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

I'm sure she's happy to have carried water for a party that actively fucking hates women.
    How any women exist as members of the party is a mystery to me.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

I'm sure she's happy to have carried water for a party that actively fucking hates women.
    How any women exist as members of the party is a mystery to me.

Women are too oft some of the fiercest defenders and perpetrators of their own oppression.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Oh geez yeah, I've had business clients in the past who were staffed all female and hooooly shit they were fucking vicious to each other.

So two of Dougie's recent appointments got scuttled less than a day later when it came out that one was a friend of his chief of staff's son, and the other was second cousin to the same chief of staff's wife.

https://theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-premier-ford-revokes-two-new-appointments-after-personal-ties-to-chief/

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    So two of Dougie's recent appointments got scuttled less than a day later when it came out that one was a friend of his chief of staff's son, and the other was second cousin to the same chief of staff's wife.

https://theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-premier-ford-revokes-two-new-appointments-after-personal-ties-to-chief/

Hasn't he learned anything from the US? He could have doubled down and appointed them anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Doon't worry there's always more:

bgQ1RdG.jpg
    Text:
    Renata Ford will be a candidate for Maxime Bernier's People's Party of Canada

Renata Ford is stepping into politics. She will be running in the October federal election as a candidate for the People's Party of Canada, CBC News has confirmed. (Sebastien St-Francois/Radio-Canada)

Renata Ford, the wife of late former Toronto mayor Rob Ford and sister-in-law of Ontario premier Doug Ford, is running as a candidate for Maxime Bernier's People's Party of Canada in the October federal election, CBC News has confirmed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/renata-ford-will-be-a-candidate-for-maxime-bernier-s-people-s-party-of-canada-1.5184851

God these people are all assholes.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, here in AB, the UCP are being as classy as ever:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/premier-jason-kenney-earplug-stunt-1.5183189
    A spokesperson for Alberta Premier Jason Kenney is dismissing complaints that he disrespected the legislature and public sector workers by handing out earplugs to his caucus during a debate on Bill 9 late Wednesday night.
    Bill 9 delays wage reopener talks for 180,000 thousand nurses, teachers and government workers until the end of October. The NDP Official Opposition and labour leaders call the legislation an illegal attack on workers' rights.

Edmonton-South NDP MLA Thomas Dang watched from across the aisle as Kenney handed out earplugs to his MLAs.

"I heard him say 'this is so you don't have to listen to Thomas and the others over there,' " Dang said. "And I think that's something that is truly disappointing and unbecoming of a premier."

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, here in AB, the UCP are being as classy as ever:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/premier-jason-kenney-earplug-stunt-1.5183189
    A spokesperson for Alberta Premier Jason Kenney is dismissing complaints that he disrespected the legislature and public sector workers by handing out earplugs to his caucus during a debate on Bill 9 late Wednesday night.
    Bill 9 delays wage reopener talks for 180,000 thousand nurses, teachers and government workers until the end of October. The NDP Official Opposition and labour leaders call the legislation an illegal attack on workers' rights.

Edmonton-South NDP MLA Thomas Dang watched from across the aisle as Kenney handed out earplugs to his MLAs.

"I heard him say 'this is so you don't have to listen to Thomas and the others over there,' " Dang said. "And I think that's something that is truly disappointing and unbecoming of a premier."

He's such a fucking tool.

MAC11_PROVINCES_VS_TRUDEAU01-810x445.jpg

I mean.... Just look at these chuckle heads. Pasty bloated old white guys with carbon copy opinions and they are going to be in charge....

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Huh, something I didn't realize we were slowly approaching: Budget 2019 had in it a change to the federal student loans program wherein the Interest Rate for Floating was changing from Prime+2.5% to just Prime. This applies to all loans through the NSLSC apparently.

Sure as hell looking forward to that.

Edit: These changes will be taking effect November 1st.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    There's really no pleasing you people.

The right-wing shits all over single mothers with tons of criminal associates and substance abuse problems - you're not happy. They make a single mother with tons of criminal associates and substance abuse problems a candidate - you're still not happy.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Don't mind horse racing. I wouldn't protest to keep it or anything but I don't mind it.

It's not going to die out though as it's been happening for thousands of years.
    Like thousands of years pre-colonization kind of stuff here...

It's gonna mostly die out without support afaik. It's a whole industry that depends on government funds to keep it afloat because it's just not profitable. And it's got a surprisingly large "supply chain" as it were.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Like, fundamentally the problem here is y'all seem to want some sort of first principles kind of ruling here. But that shit is stupid. The law (as in, the law in general not this specific bill) is not a mathematical axiom and exists to take specifics into consideration. The argument y'all are floating is the same kind of thing you see thrown around when it comes to banning certain kinds of speech. As if the law can't make a judgement on what is and is not acceptable.

Except it isn't taking specifics into consideration. Someone choosing to dress a certain way is inherently different from someone being forced to dress in a certain way. That consesual nature is, to my mind, key. And it is completely ignored in outlawing particular dress.

The question isn't whether or not someone can be told how to dress but what specifically you can or cannot dress as.

It's not about whether someone can be told what to wear but whether some can be told what they are allowed to wear? That's the exact same hair.

Not even slightly, as I've already pointed out multiple times. There is a fundamental and obvious difference between the question of "Can you tell someone what to wear?" and "Given you can tell someone what to wear, what types of things can you say are inappropriate?". The idea that it's all or nothing is absurd. We can say yes to some things and no to others.

I'm saying it's doesn't have to be about choice vs lack of choice.

Basically one can think that the law telling a woman she can't wear a hijab is wrong and also think the law telling that same woman she can't wear a shirt that advocates for the genoicide of the jewish people is fine. These are not incompatible ideas because the question is one of the specifics of what is being banned and not the question of whether the government could or could not do that.

Okay, and the specifics of Bill 21?

This wasn't about Bill 21 specifically. It was about this quote:
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    Yeah, my co-worker's family came over from Iran. She and another Persian co-worker were pretty happy with the ban. They're both pretty down on religion in general, having watched it ruin their previous country.

edit: they don't wear the headscarves unless they go back to visit family, they both view it as bullshit basic misogyny to keep women down.

So they're OK with a law that prevents them from wearing something they don’t want to wear and unhappy when dealing either a law that forces them to wear that same thing. Nice.

Which you and others try to frame as an issue of either you can or can't tell someone what they can wear. ie - trying to frame this as a hard line issue where it must be all one way or the other. But it's not. We can view this in terms of specific instances of what it is and is not acceptable to control the wearing of.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Ford has cancelled Canada Day celebrations at Queen's Park, a tradition that has gone on since 1967, presumably because he was afraid of being booed again

https://globalnews.ca/news/5417859/canada-day-cancelled-queens-park/

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Jackass.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Holy shit. A Conservative cancelling a thing about patriotism out of fear of getting booed?

Obvious "what a snowflake" joke aside, this is probably something he should have just sucked up. Getting booed for an afternoon would suck but it's an afternoon (though if he keeps trying to show his face in public while being a shitfuck, it's going to keep happening). Cancelling Canada Day celebrations is something people might actually remember.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Holy shit. A Conservative cancelling a thing about patriotism out of fear of getting booed?

Obvious "what a snowflake" joke aside, this is probably something he should have just sucked up. Getting booed for an afternoon would suck but it's an afternoon (though if he keeps trying to show his face in public while being a shitfuck, it's going to keep happening). Cancelling Canada Day celebrations is something people might actually remember.

Conservatives will remember this. Positively. Because "Canada Day" is clearly a liberal attack on FordFest, which is the real Ontarian celebration.

Liberals might remember, but you know, the Liberal candidate's plan to reduce carbon emissions will be 5% below what we would really like and the NDP candidate will gaffe during the debate, so why bother voting when they're all really the same?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

Conservatives will remember this. Positively. Because "Canada Day" is clearly a liberal attack on FordFest, which is the real Ontarian celebration.

Liberals might remember, but you know, the Liberal candidate's plan to reduce carbon emissions will be 5% below what we would really like and the NDP candidate will gaffe during the debate, so why bother voting when they're all really the same?

Honestly, Ford Fest likely only really matters to the hardest core of Conservatives that are in range to attend or donate, with the majority of anyone outside of that area probably not even knowing it exists

I don't think this is really accurate, when Ford is down to something like 18 percent approval in the polls

Cancelling Canada Day celebrations that go back 60 years is not really defensible and makes him look weak, he'd have been better off just not attending

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Can Toronto or somebody just pop in and say nope, it's still on just at this other park now?

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    There are without a doubt other Canada Day celebrations in Toronto. Queens Park is where the ontario parliament resides. So by definition anything there would be run by the provincial government.

Cello wrote: »

Honestly, Ford Fest likely only really matters to the hardest core of Conservatives that are in range to attend or donate, with the majority of anyone outside of that area probably not even knowing it exists

I don't think this is really accurate, when Ford is down to something like 18 percent approval in the polls

Cancelling Canada Day celebrations that go back 60 years is not really defensible and makes him look weak, he'd have been better off just not attending

Yeah, but he's off for six months so what is he gonna say? "I was busy"?

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    "canada is canceled because you
    So, I just got an unsollicited text message from Québec Proud. Is there anything I can do beyond blocking them? Reporting them to my phone company or the cops?

Mxa52Uul.png

yeah this shit is infuriating

They keep using different faked numbers, so blocking is difficult

Brolo on
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The phone companies and police won't be able to do much about those, between indifference and the fact that a whole lot of them are originating from outside the country to begin with.

I wonder if Elections Canada has any kind of stance on this stuff. If not, they, uh, really should by now.

(Also, I love that they've already dumped "(insert province here) Proud" for "(insert province here) Strong" now that the lustre's worn off the former.)

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Can Toronto or somebody just pop in and say nope, it's still on just at this other park now?

Chances that volunteers would have a Canada Day celebration anyways that also does double duty as a protest?

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2019
    On the bright side, FordFest this year was apparently much, much smaller. The people attending are still pretty awful and selfish and just want to see the right people suffer, though.

Here's the first tweet of a Twitter thread from a non-Ford-supporting reporter with CityNews who attended.

Shadowen on
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Happy Saint-Jean-Babtiste Day Quebec! No doubt many Québécois will state it’s a totally cultural holiday, but it’s weird that it’s got a religious name and origin, yet still gets public funding for its events.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    The phone companies and police won't be able to do much about those, between indifference and the fact that a whole lot of them are originating from outside the country to begin with.

I wonder if Elections Canada has any kind of stance on this stuff. If not, they, uh, really should by now.

(Also, I love that they've already dumped "(insert province here) Proud" for "(insert province here) Strong" now that the lustre's worn off the former.)

It's absolutely a violation in CASL law so the telecoms should definitely care.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

It's absolutely a violation in CASL law so the telecoms should definitely care.

Doesn't CASL explicitly exempt anything even vaguely political?

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Happy Saint-Jean-Babtiste Day Quebec! No doubt many Québécois will state it’s a totally cultural holiday, but it’s weird that it’s got a religious name and origin, yet still gets public funding for its events.

It's to celebrate the birth of John the Baptist.... You know, the totally secular guy who just happened to baptize Jesus.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

It's to celebrate the birth of John the Baptist.... You know, the totally secular guy who just happened to baptize Jesus.

They are celebrating the first rinse and scalp massage, Jon was a stylist.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    I'm a devotee of Saint Vidal-Sassoon. Tragically killed by a stylist who was texting and snipping.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

It's actually a celebration of the fact that the English haven't exterminated our culture and way of life yet.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

It's actually a celebration of the fact that the English haven't exterminated our culture and way of life yet.

You are kinda missing the problem. At least it got officially renamed a while ago.

Kinda wish they would stop putting the Société Saint-Jean-Baptiste in charge of any of it. Not just because of the name, also because they keep making very clear that as a francophone federalist, I don't count.

edited June 2019
    People in this thread will be happy to know it's referred officially to as the "fête nationale", not "St-Jean-Bapthiste".

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    I'm normally very pro any goddamn excuse to shout at the English (I have to, or they revoke my passport), but celebrating St-Jean-Bapthiste and then claiming to be super secular gets a fair bit of well deserved side eye.

sig.gif
    Lots of our holidays started off religious superstition and hocus pokery, but now we celebrate them as crass consumerism and chocolate eggs. I might be an atheist, but I sure love getting easter monday off.

"By making it a statutory holiday, the day became a holiday for all Quebecers rather than only those of French-Canadian or Catholic origins. Celebrations were gradually secularized, primarily due to actions taken by the MNQ, and June 23 and 24 became as they are now known. Many festivities take place on the night before the holiday proper.

While the religious significance of the civic celebration is gone, the day remains popularly called la St-Jean-Baptiste or simply la St-Jean (notably by businesses), and is still observed in churches."

This argument reminds me of when I hear people argue that Canada is not a democratic country because we have a Queen.

sig.gif
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I agree that most official holidays no longer have the overt religious significance, I feel like that just shows how much that religion has been accepted by that culture.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
This discussion has been closed.