As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Holy shit, this clip is kinda all over the internet at the moment. That is gonna be a real strong start to my commentary reel, I tell you hwat.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Nice, blow up, so I can say I knew you when back in Evo 2012 lol.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    I picked up Samsho 5 Special during the PS4 flash sale, cause under $8 is pretty worth it even if I only play this weekend. I even managed to win a couple games! Those wins were against some guy who switched characters every match but whatever we take those. The game's pretty fun but there's no match-making unfortunately, you just pick a lobby from a list and the lobbies only hold two players, kind of lame but the netcode got updated with roll-back recently so that works well.

• SunrizeSunrize Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Holy shit, this clip is kinda all over the internet at the moment. That is gonna be a real strong start to my commentary reel, I tell you hwat.

This totally fucks my headcannon that you sound like Hunter S. Thompson.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    v important Spawn vs. Scorpion pre-fight dialogue.
    h559gzlc623m.jpg

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Is anyone else going to get Samurai Shodown on Xbox?

Anyone?

(crickets)

Damn.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Is anyone else going to get Samurai Shodown on Xbox?

Anyone?

(crickets)

Damn.

I will eventually, I just don’t have time to play so can’t justify buying it at release. Earthquake is the best, dumbest thing ever and I must support that.

You still might want to buy it soon even if you won't play for a while, since if you buy it before the 30th you get the season pass for free.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    So a question I asked a long time ago was, "when people get backturned involuntarily, is blocking actually a good idea? Is it even doable?" along with "wow, when people are backturned there's scaling pushback on hits like it's a combo!"

So someone actually did the legwork which I didn't and documented the frames on backturn states in Tekken 7. I recall at the time that one particular thing I noticed was that as Josie, if I sidestepped and did 1,2,2 and that connected on a backturned opponent, I could do a d/f+2 that seemed literally impossible to block, and the result was that I got a hilariously juiced up punish. Because 1,2,2 is +9 on hit, my guess was that going from backturn to blocking must take around 6F for the 15F d/f+2 to seem "unblockable".

https://youtu.be/I1cypK7uRzg

The d/b from backturn has a lot of peculiar properties, and you can even block 1F faster by doing a trick of going forwards and then backwards! 1F doesn't sound like a lot, but in my particular case, it would've been enough to make the difference between getting a free d/f+2 and seeing that d/f+2 get blocked! Another thing I didn't know was just how long it takes in order for a backturned person to be able to block low! If you can make a person get backturned at the wall through a sidestep, you might be able to put them into a situation where they actually can't crouch block snake edge and instead have to jump over it or parry it, and that's wild.

I also think it'd kind of hilarious that one of the better answers to Lucky Chloe's throw where she gets behind you is to just jump at her. It's just an answer that I never considered!

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    The season pass DLC characters announced:

SabreMau on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    To Wan Fu,
    Thanks for Everything!
    Julie Newmar.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    im not sure when I'm getting samsho now due to $ priorities womp womp

hopefully soon

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i love the art style i also love playing snk games and having literally no idea who any of these characters are

edited June 2019
    My ancient Qanba stick that I had moded to work on modern consoles has started double registering up. Push up once, it comes out twice.

What do I need to replace?

WAN FU, yessssssssssssssssssssssssss.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    No sign of Amakusa Shiro makes me sad.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    I'm a Hanzo guy, but a buddy is a hardcore Wan-Fu fan and NOW is super psyched.

Give me back Neinhalt Sieger and it'll be perfect.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I was hoping Wan Fu has a completely different weapon again, but looks like he's keeping his stone pillar.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    quietly glad iroha fans have been left wanting

liEt3nH.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ah, the mai shiranui of samsho

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    So what is Shiki? Leona?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP5541-CUSA15915_00-SAMSHOSEASONPASS

SamSho season pass is showing up as free, even if you don't purchase the game yet. Might be a mistake? If so, jump on it. (Didn't see it listed on the Xbox store)

SamSho netcode is not great.

It makes me sad.

6-2 on my completely blind first night of samsho ranked

conceptually feels very good. the online play is a war crime though. pretty much cut and paste out of SNK heroines. Hopefully if this game gets a following, they'll... maybe try doing something about that

very interested in trying this game offline... tbh i can't envision the counters and dodges ever really factoring in online, eh, maybe with a little more matchup experience

edited June 2019
    The game is old school as fuck, it's great.

Online feels weird. I'm not sure how much of that is just how slow the characters move or what, but even in training mode it feels like there's a delay to the inputs. Like I'm playing it via Stadia hardy har har...but seriously, it's weird.

I did counter a guy online and super'd him and it felt OH SO GOOD....

Bizazedo on
    In about two hours of screwing around online I had a handful of playable matches, and they still felt slow.

Several were again the guy with 5(?) swords. He kept clipping me with the attack that starts with a big slash and then hit four more times. Even when I blocked it I could not punish it. When it was over I went into the practice room to figure out what the hell the move was. Went through the specials, no, not there.

It was his heavy slash. One button, five hits.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i was promised a game where heavy slashes do 30% damage and by george I got it

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    My ancient Qanba stick that I had moded to work on modern consoles has started double registering up. Push up once, it comes out twice.

What do I need to replace?

Assuming all the connectors are plugged in tight, chances are it's the stick itself, you can just buy a lever for not that much. Qanba uses Sanwa JLF I believe, though you should double check. 25~ bucks from wherever, though you might get a discount code from CEO this weekend.

iG3kv1d.png
    In about two hours of screwing around online I had a handful of playable matches, and they still felt slow.
    I think the game itself is just slow (except for when you run). I'm going to run through the Story today to see if it feels the same as online.

Bizazedo wrote: »
    I think the game itself is just slow (except for when you run). I'm going to run through the Story today to see if it feels the same as online.

You aren't kidding about the running. I fell for run up - throw so many times.

i would do more runup throw if I knew how to actually get damage out of my throw with charlotte

her K moves though... insane. Her slide seems really strong, and her knee hop thing seems really strong

Charlotte has a problem in that all her long range pokes hit high, so she can be countered to oblivion.
    No one really knows how to play yet, though, not to mention a mega punishing footsie game is foreign to a lot of people, so it won't be an issue early on.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Putting this here as well as the Nintendo thread:
    Uniqlo has a sale on their Mario Bros and Street Fighter shirts. Super good prices, nice designs, and free shipping if you have it shipped to a Fedex store. I like how some of them are subtle nods to things, instead of the typical white-text-on-black-shirt GAMER stuff.

kuxs2drzuvf8.jpg

edited June 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYKq5OnZ2dk

BAYANI – Fighting Game is filled with historical inspirations, taking famous figures from the Philippines and having them duke it out in one-on-one matches.
    https://indiegamesplus.com/2019/06/bayani-fighting-game-casts-filipino-historical-figures-as-its-combatants

neat!

Brolo on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Oh I had high hopes for samsho online

Who am I kidding, I'm gonna buy it and play it for a month anyway

Recommend for everyone to play story before playing online in Samsho. Online slows it down even more, but a lot of the "lag" is the game itself plus it demanding exact motions.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    my first game was a laggy mess but then I remembered I was on wireless, hooked up my ethernet and set the connection to 3+ bars and it seems fine? my only complaint is that the online modes don't seem very good - ranked lets you choose your opponent which sucks but endless rematch so woo, and casual puts you into rooms that I couldn't figure out in 2 seconds so I immediately ragequit

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    One thing I noticed is there seems to be no way to cancel a DP motion when you want to do a quarter-circle instead. Slipping in an Up or Back input before the quarter-circle doesn't do anything. Makes doing dash attacks into quarter-circles pretty much impossible, and you need to be real deliberate throwing out fireballs in neutral.

This discussion has been closed.