As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Request : Deadbeat Santees

arcatharcath Registered User regular
Seems everyone is liking the idea in the G&T Santa thread and I was asked to post it here to see if this is possible.
Arcath wrote:
Disco11 wrote: »
ArcSyn wrote: »
Figgy wrote: »
Disco11 wrote: »
What do you guys think I should do... My santee got his gift over a month ago. After a few weeks, I asked a fellow forumer to pm him and ask him if he got his gift and he replied that he did. Yet 3 more weeks go by and he has not posted or pm'd me about it. I am not worried about getting banned but I am sort of pissed that I sent someone a gift and I have not got a private thank you at the least. What do you guys think the appropriate responce is ?

This has been the experience of several people apparently. I don't think it should constitute a ban, but I definitely think "deadbeat Santees" should be banned from future gift-giving events. How long does it take to post a thank you on here? 10 seconds.

Seriously. I got soap (which is almost gone) and an awesome calendar and I got pictures up and everything!

BTW: I can't really feel any particular boost from the caffeine in the soap, but then it has lasted longer than 12 washings as well so I'm not getting the full 200mg dosage, not that I expected to anyway since not all of it is going to be absorbed. Whatever, I always wanted to try it and now I have.

Perhaps something where if you do not participate in saying at least "thank you" and listing what you got (pictures are a bonus) you cannot participate in the next one? But then lift it for the one after that if they decide that this time they will? It feels kinda wrong to punish someone for not saying thank you, but it is a bit rude when a stranger buys you gifts..

(And I need to keep bugging ThinkGeek and DHL about where in the world my stuff went to if not to my santee's house!)

I don't care if I get a public " wow look how cool my gifts are " I would have at least appriciated a pm saying thank you. A little courtesy would be appreciated.

I don't know if this is possible, maybe one of the mods can tell me.

You know how you get infractions, goto jail ect ect.

Your icon changes, cant use quotes(old forums i think right?), and got that big "Jailed" in your title?

So I propose this.....

badsanta.bmp

Sorry Silver, I am sure your not a bad Santa, but yours was the first one I found.

Let them keep that for a year. :)

Hybridzerg wrote:
THAT...IS...AWESOME! Do it Mods! Pleeeeaaase?
LewieP wrote:
I heartilly agree.
Henroid wrote:
Ask about it in Tube's Circus. That's a fucking great idea.

It seems there is some interest in this. So mods, is the idea possible?

camo_sig.png
arcath on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The jailed icon is a punishment given to people who act likes jackasses on the forums, why would you do something similar for people who acted like jackasses in your Secret Santa threads? List them in the OP for next year or something, I don't see what the administration has to do with all this.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    SS jackassery should definitely be a ban. People put quite a bit of thought in to the gifts, and in some cases (like with AC's SS thing) considerable effort.

A special jail icon is a weak slap on the wrist.

MKR on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Maybe give them some sort of permanent "bad santa" infraction so that next year the people who run the SS's for a particular subforum can look at their past infractions and know who to let participate and who to keep out.

Marathon on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    The jailed icon is a punishment given to people who act likes jackasses on the forums, why would you do something similar for people who acted like jackasses in your Secret Santa threads? List them in the OP for next year or something, I don't see what the administration has to do with all this.

I think there was a list kept from last year (that is, '06) and there wasn't a terrible amount of people if I remember right. So I mean, that deters them from doing it again next year. I personally didn't sign up for any Secret Santa events this year so I didn't keep track of it at all this year. But then I strolled into it today to see if there were any douchebags who didn't ante up, and first thing I see is the OP of this post.

You're right in that the administration doesn't have any reason to hold people accountable for this shit. I don't think the idea is to offer some sort of prevention status for someone who bounced out of their part in a Secret Santa. I think this is more of a public notification / humiliation thing where people will know if someone acted like a dick during a holiday event. I'm all for it.

Edit - A ban is actually too much. Unless someone gloats about it. But that's all up to the mods and administration.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    This isn't for the people who sign up and don't send out anything. Those assholes should be banned.

This is for the Santee's who get shit but don't let anyone know and leave their Santas hanging in the wind just wondering. Sorry for the confusion on what I was referring to.

Deadbeat Santas deserved to get banned, yes which is already the rule if I am not mistaken. But I think Deadbeat Santees deserve a special jail icon or something.

I clarified in the OP with Lime, and changed to pic to reflect santee instead of santa.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rather than this, which is a bit pointless, just keep a note and have them excluded for next year.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This seems like it's more than a little overboard. Someone isn't grateful enough? Oh, well, too bad, so sad. If you'd like, I'll ship you the world's smallest violin.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thinatos wrote: »
    This seems like it's more than a little overboard. Someone isn't grateful enough? Oh, well, too bad, so sad. If you'd like, I'll ship you the world's smallest violin.

Would you ship me one?

If you do, I promise to thank you.

Also: I agree with Thinatos. Blacklisting people because you don't get a "thank you?" Uhm, okay. I can understand the sentiment, but on the other hand, I didn't realize that gift giving came with a price. It's certainly nice to request a thank you, but to demand gratitude is kind of strange.

I say this without, of course, having participated in secret santa on PA yet so take my opinion for what it is. If I didn't get a thank you from someone IRL, I'd probably be upset, but I don't think I would shun the person thereafter.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thinatos wrote: »

It's not that they are not grateful enough. It's that they are not grateful at all.

You can at least let them know you got it, or just post a simple "Thank you Santa." in PM or in topic.

But when all you got is.....

::crickets::

It's not cool to not know if your gift got there or not because your santee wont let you know or post anything. There are a few of these running around.

Again, just a idea. Seemed to go well in the G&T thread, but no so well here.

Meh.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, this seems a little overboard for not posting the obligitory follow-up in the Santa thread. I mean, if we were talking about people signing up and then not giving gifts, that's one thing, but this isn't that big a deal.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    This is silly. I'm all for banning people that stiffed others though...the jerks.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I would say list keeping, be it thankless people or people who don't send gifts at all, would be more appropriate than administrative action.

This subject just seems more suited to Forumer Justice type things.

Seriously on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Deadbeat is an appropriate term for someone who didn't send out a gift that they signed up to send. Not sending a thank you, not so much. Suggesting that the administration spend time taking action against people who didn't send a thank you seems like a major over reaction.

Given that the administration doesn't run these things, I don't think its their responsibility to do anything about it. The risk of someone being a dick and either not sending you something or not sending a thank you note (maybe they thought the gift they got sucked, who knows), is pretty much something anyone should take into account when signing up for a random gift exchange here. Just keep a list of the people who didn't send out their gifts, and blacklist them from participating next year.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is terrible and you should be ashamed of even considering it. :(

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's in bad taste, son. I didn't get my secret santron gift and I'm not calling for any mofo's head on a pike.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    That's in bad taste, son. I didn't get my secret santron gift and I'm not calling for any mofo's head on a pike.

Ahh but in this case a gift was sent and received, but the Santa did not get a thank you.

Seg on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Seg wrote: »

Ahh but in this case a gift was sent and received, but the Santa did not get a thank you.

Well, verification is alright.

But banning over that? Are you fucking retarded?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Seg wrote: »

Well, verification is alright.

But banning over that? Are you fucking retarded?

Me? maybe, but the guy who tested me a few years back said I was normal.

But then, I wasn't the thread starter or the the complainer that the thread starter quotes.

Seg on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Deadbeat Santa is a real problem.

Deadbeat Santee? Fuck off. You're kidding, right?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Corvus wrote: »
    Deadbeat is an appropriate term for someone who didn't send out a gift that they signed up to send. Not sending a thank you, not so much. Suggesting that the administration spend time taking action against people who didn't send a thank you seems like a major over reaction.

Given that the administration doesn't run these things, I don't think its their responsibility to do anything about it. The risk of someone being a dick and either not sending you something or not sending a thank you note (maybe they thought the gift they got sucked, who knows), is pretty much something anyone should take into account when signing up for a random gift exchange here. Just keep a list of the people who didn't send out their gifts, and blacklist them from participating next year.

I like being referred to as "the administration"

it sounds so mysterious

Monoxide on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    This is completely fucking silly.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is some bullshit in this thread.

Some fools maybe need to turn it off.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Secret Santa OT didn't mention any requirement for Santees confirming their gifts.
    Thus, the contract between Santas and Santee has not been breached, even if the Santee is an ingrate.

Irritating, to be sure, but the best you can do at this point is petition to add an expectation for Santees to confirm their gift for next year, with the punishment declared beforehand.

For now, you'll have to be satisfied with writing really caustic forum posts about the character of people you despise. In fact, I believe that was why forums were created in the first place. Perhaps even the internet. Human speech, most certainly.

In a somewhat related note, I am the victim of a deadbeat Santa, but believe that banning is too severe a punishment. What I would like to see is a public tar-and-feathering that clearly indicates that they cannot be trusted. The $10 gift I got shrifted is nothing compared to what a future forumer may suffer if they, say, agreed to share hotel fees for PAX. Or traded games.

It's trust that makes a lot of the forum interaction work... so hell, maybe I just talked myself into endorsing banning.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hell, I never even found out who my Satan was, no name or note or anything. I guess the entire forum should be banned because fucked if I know who it was and now I can't say thank you to the exact person. Better to be safe than sorry.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hell, I never even found out who my Satan was, no name or note or anything. I guess the entire forum should be banned because fucked if I know who it was and now I can't say thank you to the exact person. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Nobody has said anything of the sort. It was a secret santa, you don't have to be told who sent you a gift. The idea is that you still mention that you received a gift to avoid your santa getting a ban for being a deadbeat.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You guys are reading this wrong.

You guys are posting and/or trying to let your santa/satan know. You guys are awesome, and this is all fine and good.

The problem is the people here who are not saying a fucking word and the people being left in the wind not knowing anything.
    figgy wrote:
    No, the idea was that some Santees have not let their Santas know the package has arrived, yet alone said thank you. It's common god damned decency to say "thanks" when someone gives you a gift, be it a PM or post on the thread. Fuck, I say thank you when the cashier at the grocery store hands me back my credit card.

i) Your Santee is likely wondering if the package has even made it to you or if they need to call the post office and report it lost.

ii) Your Santee is wondering if you actually liked the things you were given.

iii) Saying 'thank you' is just the bees knees. All the cool kids are doing it. It's like huffing paint.

Just going to have to clarify in next years rules that the Santee contact the Santa and let them know the package was received.

Seems that people are not understanding so I guess we can just call this discussion over and done.

::shrugs::

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I definitely don't think there should be any sort of "official" punishment. Why do we need to run to the mods like little boys? we're big enough to keep a list of our own about who to totally revile and reject for the entirety of the year.

Deadbeat Santas, thats a problem.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    arcath wrote: »

Just going to have to clarify in next years rules that the Santee contact the Santa and let them know the package was received.

But then the santa would be not secret.

Wouldn't a PM to the organizer or a post in some kind of loot thread do?

Seg on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just sent my gift today, so I feel like a terrible person. I still haven't gotten my gift yet either, but it's not a big deal. I mean, if it shows up, great! If not, I'm not really out anything. I would have sent a gift to someone on the forums even if I hadn't been in the secret satans.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    arcath wrote: »
    This isn't for the people who sign up and don't send out anything. Those assholes should be banned.

This is for the Santee's who get shit but don't let anyone know and leave their Santas hanging in the wind just wondering. Sorry for the confusion on what I was referring to.

Deadbeat Santas deserved to get banned, yes which is already the rule if I am not mistaken. But I think Deadbeat Santees deserve a special jail icon or something.

I clarified in the OP with Lime, and changed to pic to reflect santee instead of santa.

That's retarded. You're essentially asking people to be jailed for not thanking you.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I mean if being an asshole IRL was infractable here, within a week the only person still posting would be Janson

you don't want Janson to be lonely, do you?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    They should amend the secret santa for next year to have a thread of humiliation. "such and such" is a total cockmonger. I think that would keep them inline. I decided not to participate this year because retail gets hectic for chrismas. I might next year if I pre-plan a gift.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    am i alone in thinking that clamouring for some kind of thank you is a very self-centered and dickish attitude to take towards the act of giving?

i mean, i donate to amnesty international

fuckin' africans ain't sent me shit for that

man please

if the reason you are getting into something like secret santas is so you can get gratitude, you're still being selfish.

and asking for people to get jailed for that?

man listen, when i am calling you a self-centered asshole

take a step back.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    H5

its also pretty shitty to assume that the reason they didn't post is because they are Teh Evil

maybe their house burnt down

maybe their mum died

maybe your gift was crap!

if they're not actually complaining, you should be happy.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Chances are, if the gift didn't get to them, they'd complain and call you a deadbeat.

So they probably got your gift. If they didn't, and they aren't posting about it, then clearly they might have some more important shit to deal with and maybe if you weren't so obsessed with patting your own back for being such an "awesome santa" you'd stop and think about that possibly.

Maybe your gift sucked? Eh?

I know, personally, I'd probably just not say anything if I got a shitty gift, rather than be all like "oh, yeah, thanks, that was awesome!"

I avoid lying if I can, and like good ole Thumper's mom says, if you ain't got shit nice to say maybe you should say nothing.

I mean, it seems pretty bullshit to say to people "don't bitch about getting free shit you ingrate" but at the same time demand they say something. If you got a shitty gift, that's basically demanding a lie. Ballocks, I say.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Chances are, if the gift didn't get to them, they'd complain and call you a deadbeat.

Makes sense to me.

Henroid on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    This is retarded.

I can't even comprehend how people would begin to think about asking for something like this.

A thank-you would be cool, but it is definitely not worth a jailing or banning or any punishment whatsoever if you don't get a thank-you.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The way I originally understood it was that there was an agreement that each end was obligated to reciprocate for their gift with another gift, and neglecting to do so would be extremely cockish.

But banning/jailing for not thanking? Blah!

MKR on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't think banning/jailing should be necessary, but given that I have seen some people with issues with disappearing or lost packages I can see where a quick "I got it" should be part of the agreement next year. I do think it's a really, really shitty thing to do to not post a thank you when someone put in a lot of thought to get you something but I can't say jailing is the answer.

I had two long term forumers as my Santees over the past two years and completely trusted them, but I still put the delivery confirmation on their packages for the extra buck at the post office to avoid any banning on my part.

Lindsay Lohan on
This discussion has been closed.