As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Schlitzkrieg 2019 - PAX Community brewery tour!

JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
edited August 2019 in PAX West
Date: Wednesday, Aug 28 – Early to Late
Tickets: Too Late! (But seriously, contact JobiwanKenobi if you want to go.)

Washington State has over 400 craft breweries, many with small-scale artisan brews that you're not going to find anywhere else in the world. Seattle is truly Beer Geek Heaven. The SchlitzKrieg is a beer tour for locals and out-of-towners alike, and focused on tiny up and coming nano-breweries that you probably won't find in the store. Throw in a little local history, an interesting scenic ride, and you've got a great way to spend a day outside of the Convention Center, where you can see more of the city than just the downtown.

Washington State Brewery Map

2012 was the first ever SchlitzKrieg at PAX Prime, where 30 Beer Geeks were loaded onto a big yellow bus and we toured 12 local craft breweries in the greater Seattle Area in 12 hours. You can check out that year's thread here and photos courtesy of @courtneyj from the first year here.

2013 was a Cycle Saloon tour around the breweries in the Seattle neighborhood of Ballard. It was fun but too much work.

2014 was a little strange, as we didn't get enough people to fill up a full bus so we all crammed into a van and a car. It wasn't terrifically comfortable.

2015 was the year we got a motherfucking party bus, bitches!

2016 was our Fifth Annual Schlitzkrieg, where we headed South and threw in some cideries and distilleries to mix up the beer a bit. Also, party bus.

2017 we didn’t get enough people for the party bus, so this was a walking tour.

2018 we didn’t get enough people for the party bus, so we rented a van and I was the designated driver.

2019 - This will be the final Schlitzkrieg, so I am planning for it to go out on a high note.

Transportation
Depending on how many people we get we may get the badass party bus. If not then there are other options.

22 – 27 people = Party Bus with a driver and a banquet permit so you can drink on the bus. AND there's a gaming laptop hookup to the video screens on the bus so we can play while we're traveling again. It's seriously an amazing time.
10 – 21 people = We may be able to get a party bus with a driver, but it may be more expensive…
~ 10 people = Jobiwan Kenobi will be your designated driver… we will get a rental van that can accommodate this group comfortably.

Itinerary
When putting together a Schlitzkrieg route, I try to find a route with a good mix of breweries, cideries, meaderies, and distilleries. This year we will be heading to Everett, Whidbey Island, Port Townsend, Poulsbo, and then back to Seattle. It will be a route with mead, cider, beer, distilled spirits, wine, and three ferry rides! Ending with fantastic views of the Seattle skyline as we take the ferry back to downtown Seattle.
  1. Æsir Meadery
  2. Whidbey Island Distillery
  3. Whidbey Island Winery
  4. Double Bluff Brewing (* Lunch stop)
  5. Propolis
  6. Discovery Bay Brewing
  7. (Poulsbo) To be relevealed! (* Dinner stop)

Costs
Assuming that we will get the party bus, tickets will be around $100 per person. However, if I am your designated driver prices should drop and there would be a refund at the start of the trip.

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
JobiwanKenobi on

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Questions? Answers!

What is it?
    A tour of an area around Seattle for beer lovers - whether you're local or coming in from out of town. Some more unusual, hidden gems will be included for any locals who might want to tag along and find new spots. It will also include some awesome area history, scenic rides wherever possible, restaurant stops, and the opportunity to see more than just the city.

What isn't it?
    This is not a low-budget event. Also, much like the Pub Crawl, this is not a frat boy event. We're trying to pace the liquor so that everyone has a good time, including the guy that you didn't puke on.

When is it?
    Wednesday 8/28 from early to late (exact times TBD)

What's included for the price?
    • Transportation
    • Happy Hour snacks
    • Driver Gratuity (assuming that we get a driver, if Jobiwan is the designated driver then no gratuity is required.)

What's not included?
    • Pints and Tastes
    • Dinner & snacks
    • Souvenirs
    • Brewery Swag, bottles or Growlers
    • Pre-Funk Breakfast, Lunch

Where are you/we Going?
    If air quality permits, we will be going east across the mountains. If not, then we'll go elsewhere... See the itinerary section above for specifics.

How much will it cost?
    $100 to reserve.

If we reach our quota of 25 people, the price will drop to around $88 or less and I'll refund you the difference or you can donate it to Child's Play. Most of the price is based on splitting the cost of the bus evenly and I'd rather give people money back than ask for more if we don't make our quota.

How is the cost calculated?
    Here are the cost details from two years ago… this year’s details are coming in the next few weeks.
    Bus - $1850
    Happy Hour Snacks - $11 per person
    Water and snacks on the bus - $20

There simply aren't any inexpensive group transportation options in Seattle anymore. In 2015, we discovered that the approximately $25/per person increase in price between a school bus and a party bus made a HUGE difference in the comfort and fun of the ride. Just the bus costs $1800 for the day but it's worth the money, trust me.

Can I change my mind/plans/existence and get a refund?
    Yes, but it's discouraged after August 15. People change their travel plans to attend this tour, so it's tough to fill in vacancies at the last minute. Also, since the ticket price is largely dependent on dividing the cost of the van between everyone on the tour, cancellations that we can't fill with a warm body makes a huge headache for everybody on the day of the tour, as I try to recalculate the cost and figure out exactly who owes what. Of course, I understand that shit happens but please make every effort to stick to your reservation.

Can I attend just a portion of the tour?
    Sure, if you have your own car and designated driver. We'll be in a rural area pretty far out of the city and won't be accessible by bus or taxi.

I have a better/different stop/place/brewery to suggest:
    Suggest away! All suggestions are welcome but keep in mind that stops will be decided on the following criteria:

- Proximity to the tour route
    - Hours (they need to be open, or willing to open for us)
    - Size (macro breweries are discouraged)
    - Willingness to accommodate the tour

How do I sign up and/or pay?
    The ticket link will be posted at the very beginning of the thread.

Do you need any helpers?
    We always need helpers.

Why a Beer Tour?
    Seattle loves its beer. There are a ridiculous number of macro, micro and nanobreweries in and around the Seattle area, from small garage operations that sell growlers on the weekends, to large factories pumping out nationally distributed brews. Most Seattleites either home brew or know someone who does and the options here are amazing.

I can't go/It's out of my budget: Will there be another event later?
    If you can't make it to any of the tours, just check out the Washington State Beer Lovers (WABL) Brewery map and make up your own tour.

Is this really the last Schlitzkrieg?
    Yes. Unfortunately we don't have as much time as we would like to dedicate to planning the Schlitzkrieg, so this will be the last one. (At least the last one the JobiwanKenobi runs.)

JobiwanKenobi on

PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Me and my friend WILL be there.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Seriously folks. It is worth the money. Sign up!! Let's get that party bus!!

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Per tradition, we gather for a nice greasy breakfast before the tour starts. Gotta get a good base established before you start throwing booze down at 9 in the morning.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Totally worth it! We are in...so me +1

• Options
    acaraba2acaraba2 Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    This was fun last year even though I dont drink much and didnt care for many of the drinks I tried. I hope I will be able to do it again, but that going to depend if I get my time off request approved this year.

jf7bixxxlknz.png

• Options
    And for any new people, it really is a chill time. No frat boy (WOOOOOO!!!! OHMUHGODIMSODRUNK!!) b.s. allowed. *I'm* probably the most extroverted person that will be on the trip. Just a nice day riding around Washington State maintaining a nice buzz.

If we're going north again, I'd be down at stopping at that one roadside ice cream place.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Captain Ironsides Captain Ironsides Registered User regular
    Sounds like an amazing good time. If only I could afford it and get to Seattle a couple days earlier, I'd go for sure. I used to work at a craft brewery and they are pretty amazing.

I have my own homebrew recipe, too, if anybody is interested. I may not be able to attend, but I still like to participate in the craft beer and homebrew community when and where I can.

It's just a shame this will be my first year hearing about this event and also the last year it will take place, at least under the same host. Hopefully you guys get enough people.

zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    It is now way more feasible for me to attend again so:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82E7vhtLxNs

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    I attended the first SchlitzKrieg in 2012. My, that was an experience. I honestly could say I felt done drinking beer by the time we'd gotten Silver City Brewing, which was the 5th stop I believe. And we still had 7 more stops to go.

Good times.

6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    SkeloticSkelotic Registered User regular
    There's a high chance I'll go this year. Last year was my first West (and first time in Seattle) so I had a lot of sightseeing to do around the city. Now that I've done most of that I should be free for this. Woo!

jokfidrftcm4.png

• Options
    QuickSnap wrote: »
    I attended the first SchlitzKrieg in 2012. My, that was an experience. I honestly could say I felt done drinking beer by the time we'd gotten Silver City Brewing, which was the 5th stop I believe. And we still had 7 more stops to go.

Good times.

Yeah, we toned it down a bit after the first year, twelve breweries in twelve hours was a bit... much. Last year we had eight stops: six breweries, a meadery, and a distillery.

• Options
    TheTechOfTacosTheTechOfTacos Registered User new member
    I want to go.

• Options
    By my count (if @LexiconGrrl is going too) we have six firm and potentially ten just in this thread.

If @Psiberian is going again too (yes, please), that would put us halfway to Party Bus.

If @vespachica goes again (yes, please) we're over halfway.

This trip is always expertly curated, and between Joe, me, and Psiberian, we'll have a full staff of large Viking types who can swiftly deal with troublemakers.

Beautiful drives, good drinks, and lots of laughter. It really is my favorite part of PAX week.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I can't go. :( My kid has taken up 4-H with horses and, alas, state fair is that Tues-Thurs before PAX.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    WuShock wrote: »
    ... between Joe, me, and Psiberian, we'll have a full staff of large Viking types who can swiftly deal with troublemakers.

Two important details to note:
    1. The Schlitzkrieg has a policy on how to handle cases of egregious douche-baggery.
    2. In eight years, we've never had any problems that would force us to make use of that policy.

To date, everyone has followed Wheaton's Law while on the Schlitzkrieg. PAX'ers are generally a good bunch of people, and being upfront about the pacing of the Schlitzkrieg tends to weed out people who are just looking to be drunk and rowdy at 9 AM.

• Options
    I've run in to trouble before...trying to finish all those beers!

Excited to be going, sad this may be the last one. Let's make it count people!!

• Options
    davobahdavobah Registered User regular
    I know @LexiconGrrl is local and also works in the industry, so you probably already know this...but a large number of breweries and tasting houses have opened up in Ballard recently. Maybe they're too close together if you want some time between stops?

ewk6x7oeylli.png
  • Options
    MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    I'm getting into Seattle on the 25th, so definitely in for this again.

• Options
    davobah wrote: »
    I know @LexiconGrrl is local and also works in the industry, so you probably already know this...but a large number of breweries and tasting houses have opened up in Ballard recently. Maybe they're too close together if you want some time between stops?

The Schlitzkrieg has gone to Ballard twice as a walking tour (once involving a conference bike). It is a terrific neighborhood for breweries.

• Options
    MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    I did this in 2015, time to do it again. Let me orchestrate a plan to stay an extra day and I'll sign up. Would prefer party bus category.

• Options
    Quick update, tickets will probably go on sale the week of July 29.

• Options
    Current informal count is 12-13, which is over halfway to the bus.

Get the word out to the cool people you'd like to day-drink with! ;)

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    triodugtriodug Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Y'all gonna be hitting up Reuben's? Such a great brewery. Chuck's Hop Shop is also a great stop for a beer tour since they have so many different beers from the PNW on tap. Not actually a brewery though so might be irrelevant.

• Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Wish I was in town earlier! Sounds like a blast

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    Gettin' a little late into the "week of July 29"....

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Yeah yeah yeah, shut yer yap. I'm working on the ticket link and game night stuff nao.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    triodug wrote: »
    Y'all gonna be hitting up Reuben's? Such a great brewery. Chuck's Hop Shop is also a great stop for a beer tour since they have so many different beers from the PNW on tap. Not actually a brewery though so might be irrelevant.

Reuben's is YUUUUUGE now. They have three production facilities and a massive new taproom. They do great beers but their enormous size has now more-or-less made them ineligible for SK stoppage. The tour tries to focus on smaller, up-and-coming (read: nano) breweries and places you haven't heard of before. The caveat of course, is that if the group is in a neighborhood and there's overwhelming interest in going to a big micro or macro brewhouse, or if the tour is in an area where brewery pickings are slim and the only option is a big place.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    My travel has all been adjusted for a wednesday schlitzkrieg

• Options
    Tickets are now on sale!

• Options
    I bought mine!

• Options
    mrwaileemrwailee Registered User new member
    Would highly recommend E9 in Tacoma if you have time. Would’ve loved to go but work...

• Options
    We actually went to E9 last year. It was the dinner stop.

• Options
    Got 'em for me and my +1.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Where did July go...in for +1.

• Options
    miepanda316miepanda316 Registered User new member
    If only my liver didn't crap out on me; This sounds pretty fun. Shameless plug for my hubs' workplace, but if you head up north to Everett, try Crucible Brewing. They have an awesome Vietnamese restaurant next door, Basil.

• Options
    Couple quick updates, I will be driving this year and we will be renting a vehicle big enough for everyone who has expressed interest so far.

Regarding the route, we have a couple of cool options. I'll put together a survey describing our options and send it out to everyone who has bought tickets so far.

• Options
    Registered. Look forward to the schlitzkrieg.

• Options
    Starting to update the OP with the details of the route. It should be a fun route this year.

• Options
    Blueberry Saison at Double Bluff sounds good.