As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life of [Raspberry] Pi

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    samba in general is a bitch with windows shares

Exactly why I hate corporate NAS with a linux based OS. If it's "ALL ACCESS ALL THE TIME" and not tied to a domain, it's fine though.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The files I'd like to stream would be made available from a Windows 7 workstation, I suppose I can host NFS with freeNFS or the built-in support (I have W7 Ultimate)

For remote control going to check if I can use my android phone over Wireless LAN.

So I suppose out of all the extras all I really need is SD card (going to check which size/class recommended) and an extra cable for audio on composite. Can the SD be used for intermittent storage?
    To get the audio through the TV as well as the video then a 3.5mm to phono adapter is required to connect between the audio out on the Raspberry Pi and the red and white leads on the component cable.

Alegis on
  • Options
    It could be, you're better off not using it and using a USB Hard drive or something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    I think I might finally have a reason to pick one of these up. My mum picked up an old gutted record player box on a whim and asked if I wanted to do something with it.
    jobl2r7.png

I don't really have any interest in restoring it for reals (like I said, most of the components have been removed anyway), so I figured it could be a nice wee project for some sort of streaming device.

I keep all of my music on Google Play at the moment. Last night, I had a play around with gmusicapi which is reasonably solid and mostly works as advertised. It shouldn't be an issue to stream tracks through wifi. I even found an example of someone doing this using mpd.

I have no problem dealing with software - the hard part will be putting the hardware together, since I really don't have any experience with wiring electronics up. I'm not really sure what's practical in that regard. Since I have three front knob-holes to use, I thought I could do something like:
    1) Volume (0 = off?)
    2) Scroll up/down through menu
    3) Selection button

Then maybe draw the current menu to an LCD screen mounted in the current gap, which would look something like this. Alternatively I could keep a small keyboard where the turntable used to be, and use that for full-text-search etc (which would probably be a lot more useful).

Luckily I work with a guy who is an electronics nut, so will be able to get some advice and help assembling everything. Still in the early planning stages, but really looking forward to working on this :D

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    I think I might finally have a reason to pick one of these up. My mum picked up an old gutted record player box on a whim and asked if I wanted to do something with it.
    jobl2r7.png

I don't really have any interest in restoring it for reals (like I said, most of the components have been removed anyway), so I figured it could be a nice wee project for some sort of streaming device.

I keep all of my music on Google Play at the moment. Last night, I had a play around with gmusicapi which is reasonably solid and mostly works as advertised. It shouldn't be an issue to stream tracks through wifi. I even found an example of someone doing this using mpd.

I have no problem dealing with software - the hard part will be putting the hardware together, since I really don't have any experience with wiring electronics up. I'm not really sure what's practical in that regard. Since I have three front knob-holes to use, I thought I could do something like:
    1) Volume (0 = off?)
    3) Selection button

Then maybe draw the current menu to an LCD screen mounted in the current gap, which would look something like this. Alternatively I could keep a small keyboard where the turntable used to be, and use that for full-text-search etc (which would probably be a lot more useful).

Luckily I work with a guy who is an electronics nut, so will be able to get some advice and help assembling everything. Still in the early planning stages, but really looking forward to working on this :D

I will be super disappointed if you don't also add a record or the wheel part or whatever on top that just spins when on and does nothing else. Got to be authentic man.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    exis wrote: »
    jobl2r7.png

1) Volume (0 = off?)
    3) Selection button

I will be super disappointed if you don't also add a record or the wheel part or whatever on top that just spins when on and does nothing else. Got to be authentic man.

The on/off switch needs to be moving the player arm to over the record. and then yes you need to have a record glued into place that spins when it's on.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    We'll see. I'll likely try to leave the top area intact while I work on the rest. A moving record could be a nice post-project project, once the basics are sorted out. I do like the on/off switch idea, though this is quickly getting to the point of exceeding my abilities ;). I'll try and get something simple up and running first, and then maybe look at how I can extend from there. For the core functionality I guess I'll need:
    - Pi
    - Amp
    - Speaker
    - LCD monitor

As well as all the bits in between. Just putting that together should be plenty of work for now.

• Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    I use my RP as a link between my laptop and my used and battered sound system that I bought to play vinyls. I originally wanted to use XMBC, so I could also watch videos, then I realized my TV is old and I usually stream. So I went for a music-only set-up with RaspyFi. It is marketed for audiophile, which I am not. What convinced me was its native browser-based user interface.

I tried to get my RP to find the music on my laptop (so I could access all of it, all the time), but that didn't work, so I settled for a usb stick until I get an external HDD. It works great and I don't have to carry my little speakers all around the apartment when I want to listen to my digital music !

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Technical question time! Should I post this in the linux thread instead?

So I'm suddenly playing with an RP at work, trying to get this thing to display a web interface to our network management software. The pages we need use java, so I need the browser to work with java.

I'm using the latest version of raspbian which comes with java out of the box, and java -version shows that it's running. However, Midori says it's missing a plugin when I try to load java content. I've tried installing icedtea but it's horrifically slow and never actually loads the applet.

I shouldn't need to install icedtea though, right? Shouldn't the java that's already installed work for me? How do I get Midori to "see" it?

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    Technical question time! Should I post this in the linux thread instead?

So I'm suddenly playing with an RP at work, trying to get this thing to display a web interface to our network management software. The pages we need use java, so I need the browser to work with java.

I'm using the latest version of raspbian which comes with java out of the box, and java -version shows that it's running. However, Midori says it's missing a plugin when I try to load java content. I've tried installing icedtea but it's horrifically slow and never actually loads the applet.

I shouldn't need to install icedtea though, right? Shouldn't the java that's already installed work for me? How do I get Midori to "see" it?

The version of Oracle Java that runs on the Pi is the embedded version. It doesn't appear to come with a browser plugin, unfortunately.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Necroing this for new development:

RPi 4 announced (and available for order; shipping in July)

2x microHDMI (word is this connector standard can be fragile) -- 1x 4K60, or 2x 4K30
    2x usb3.0 ( :+1: )
    2x usb2.0
    1x Gigabit Ethernet(!)
    Onboard wireless 802.11ac with 5GHz support
    Power via USB-C (PD)
    New chip: Broadcom BCM2711 (64 bit, ARMv8, 1.5 GHz)

3A (15W) power supply

1GB RAM - $35
    2 GB RAM - $45
    4 GB RAM - $55

Initially, it was said these wouldn't be seeing the light of day for another year.

If Windows on ARM was in a better spot, I'd seriously consider using something like this to build a PiTop for my mom. I wonder if they'll make a "B" version eventually, with better/different HDMI ports.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Happy to see the extra ram and new chip but micro HDMI suuuuuucks.
    It breaks when you breathe on it or touch it.
    Maybe they've bulked it up for this but I doubt it.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    The bit which makes me most potentially curious in picking one up is the hardware support for h.265. The one I was tinkering with to try to make a cheap front-end for a media server choked on some of those files.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Literally a week after I bought a 3 to flesh out a cluster zzzz.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Kyle at BitWit used one as a proof of concept for an entertainment PC on a plane. It worked quite well but he ultimately ended up switching to NUCs so .

I don't think this announcement would change his decision, but this update makes a potential game system with, say, WiNE, at least a possibility

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Literally a week after I bought a 3 to flesh out a cluster zzzz.

We thank you for your sacrifice.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Kyle at BitWit used one as a proof of concept for an entertainment PC on a plane. It worked quite well but he ultimately ended up switching to NUCs so .

I don't think this announcement would change his decision, but this update makes a potential game system with, say, WiNE, at least a possibility

There's absolutely no reason not to go with a NUC other than sheer geekery, really.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to hook a graphics card up to a Pi, at all?

• Options

there are usb video cards technically, but I don't think they'd fare much better than the onboard one in whatever you're probably hoping to attempt

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Nice spec bump, shitty micro-HDMI aside. Might upgrade my main Pi server that runs some services to the 4-gig one.

• Options
    I wonder how well this could handle minecraft servers

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

there are usb video cards technically, but I don't think they'd fare much better than the onboard one in whatever you're probably hoping to attempt

I just figure if it's possible to connect something that can run older DX9 and DX10 games smoothly at up to 1080p then you could have a really good "old-school" gaming rig for cheap. Instead of having to try and source an old Core 2 Quad DDR2 rig to run older games like Fallout 3 on, you could do it with one of these with brand-new hardware.

• Options

I just figure if it's possible to connect something that can run older DX9 and DX10 games smoothly at up to 1080p then you could have a really good "old-school" gaming rig for cheap. Instead of having to try and source an old Core 2 Quad DDR2 rig to run older games like Fallout 3 on, you could do it with one of these with brand-new hardware.

The ultimate issue is you need to emulate x86 on ARM CPUs which is possible but eats a lot of power to do. You could probably emulate dos and win3.1 but 95 or higher you'd probably run up against a wall, since I think you'll eat something like ~60% of the CPU's power just to emulate x86 on ARM before you've even gotten something up and running.

• Options
    Looks like Windows 10 supports x86 emulation on arm64, I have no idea how good that is on a pi, but I imagine it's not very good at all.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

Considering the Pi is running on an ARM processor and not x86 trying to emulate older Windows games on it probably isn't a thing that's going to happen.

Also, while the Pi 4 will vastly out perform the Pi 3, lets not kid ourselves about performance here. This is a CPU benchmark from Ars Technica

klm3o5vvulk3.png

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    You'd want to compare an A72 to a Pentium 3 or low end Pentium 4/AMD k8, that's the equivalent CPU architecture IIRC.

bowen on
  • Options
    yeah. Like, I'm sure the Pi 4 model with 4GB of RAM would make a good Web browsing machine, or kodi box, or media streamer, but people still need to keep their expectations in check.

I'd love to see Microsoft port Windows on ARM to this though, because I really do think it'd make an acceptable web browsing machine.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Windows 10 does have an ARM version, Maybe I'll buy a pi and give it a shot and see how well it handles x86 stuff. It might be able to handle something like civ3

• Options
    Windows 10 does have an ARM version, Maybe I'll buy a pi and give it a shot and see how well it handles x86 stuff. It might be able to handle something like civ3

There is, but it's built for Snapdragon 8xx parts. I'm not sure it'll run on the Pi. The version Microsoft does make for Pi is the IoT version, which is not a full Windows 10. It's basically just an OS back end that you can put a UWP app on as a UI/front end.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    wunderbar wrote: »

There is, but it's built for Snapdragon 8xx parts. I'm not sure it'll run on the Pi. The version Microsoft does make for Pi is the IoT version, which is not a full Windows 10. It's basically just an OS back end that you can put a UWP app on as a UI/front end.

looks like it's "working"

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=233017
    https://pi64.win/

bowen on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Fairly well, I have to assume. A 3 can run MMO emulation with up to 10 players before you notice performance issues. It wouldn't scale well, but if it's just you and some friends, it'll be enough.

The 4 also has crazy heat issues with that new chip, and the non-spec USB-C install. Plan for cooling.

I have a 3 set up in a mobile situation in my backpack. I use it as a wifi bridge for unsecured networks, a radio broadcaster (wife sewed an antenna into my bag so the entire thing can radiate FM), and wifi jammer (rarely used). The 4 seems fun, but I haven't ever come up against performance on my raspberry projects.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The 4 seems fun, but I haven't ever come up against performance on my raspberry projects.

Yeah, that's pretty much my take on it.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Fairly well, I have to assume. A 3 can run MMO emulation with up to 10 players before you notice performance issues. It wouldn't scale well, but if it's just you and some friends, it'll be enough.

The 4 also has crazy heat issues with that new chip, and the non-spec USB-C install. Plan for cooling.

I have a 3 set up in a mobile situation in my backpack. I use it as a wifi bridge for unsecured networks, a radio broadcaster (wife sewed an antenna into my bag so the entire thing can radiate FM), and wifi jammer (rarely used). The 4 seems fun, but I haven't ever come up against performance on my raspberry projects.

Be super careful with that. The FCC can fuck your day right up if you spill into protected frequencies.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Oh I know, it's entirely a "I wanted to know how" thing. I think I've used it in the wild once at a buddies house as a proof of concept/hilarious annoyance.

I got pretty deep into the possible issues when I first started. It originally started as a GPS jammer, but that's even more of a no-no.

• Options
    .......username checks out?

Sorry, it's my Redditing bleeding over.

Part of me wants to try setting up a couple of these as a mesh wifi solution; except that the wifi chips are substandard compared to what's in modern routers. I still wonder if it would be worthwhile just for the added frequency boost (ignoring the speed hit, for now)

• Options
    it might be fun to do as an experiment but if you're living in an enviornment where there are people who aren't tech-savvy, I'm always weary of those hacked together DIY solutions. My girlfriend already has enough trouble if something goes sideways with the harmony remote, I couldn't imagine a raspberry Pi as a mesh wifi solution.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    PiHole is pretty cool y'all, also I over-clocked my 4B to 2.1Ghz (stable but probably too hot for most people) with the latest firmware update:

ybefpwy14zsr.png

It's a teeny-tiny super nippy desktop/home server machine now, that fits right in your pocket. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I've been aware of Raspberry Pi for a long time, but never got into it. My coworker just showed me his RetroPie and has convinced me to build one.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff! I really like his rig where he's got an Ipega game controller with a screen built into it. I want something similar but without being a total copycat.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I've been aware of Raspberry Pi for a long time, but never got into it. My coworker just showed me his RetroPie and has convinced me to build one.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff! I really like his rig where he's got an Ipega game controller with a screen built into it. I want something similar but without being a total copycat.

Maybe copy it for the practice, then apply the techniques to a more original project?

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I think for now I'm just going to wait. It sounds like RetroPie support for Pi 4 is really close. I just really don't need another project right now anyway.