As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    This argument reminds me of when I hear people argue that Canada is not a democratic country because we have a Queen.

Okay but the neat thing about that is that the Queen isn't being used as an excuse to repress religious rights of Muslim people in Quebec right now

So yeah, I'd say the two are probably a bit different in terms of the ironies presented

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    This argument reminds me of when I hear people argue that Canada is not a democratic country because we have a Queen.

I feel that if your government chooses to make "secularism" a main point of their platform and specifically craft laws that target non-white religions they deserve every single drop of criticism they receive.

Can't remember the last party to campaign on how awesome the monarchy is....

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    BC people, there is a survey from the provincial government on if they should keep changing the clocks for daylight savings or not. I'm not sure if anything will come of it if the majority want to do away with time changes or not, but you may as well vote early and vote often. News article and the link for the survey.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/bc-day-light-time-survey-1.5188401

http://feedback.engage.gov.bc.ca/818369

steam_sig.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    You better believe I just completed that survey telling them that we should get rid of time change.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Yep, same.
    It's just a needless hassle.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    YES JOIN ME COMRADES

TOGETHER WE CAN DESTROY LINEAR TIME

AND CROWN OURSELVES IMMORTAL GODS

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I just saved 15% or more daylight time by switching to Geiko.

sig.gif
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    And the war on Canada persists with China no longer importing meat from us.

https://business.financialpost.com/commodities/agriculture/update-1-china-to-stop-all-imports-of-meat-products-from-canada-on-wednesday-media-report

well, I am going to do my part and buy a bunch of meat for the freezer, my smoker has only been used once so far this season and perhaps I can get some briskets etc on the cheap.

and sadly I had mentioned this to a coworker who is also a friend and he goes on about how this all could have been prevented if Trudeau did blah blah blah...

I forget sometimes that even some really good friends of mine have some really "interesting" political views, which makes me very happy we don't talk about politics. When you hear stuff like, oh yea Rachel Notley and Trudeau are corrupt and lining there own pockets and the world will be better when Trump and Trudeau are voted out you have to wonder what sort of "news" they listen to. While I am no a big fan of Trudeau lumping him in with Trump is just mind boggling, especially since I know they aren't meaning Trudeau isn't liberal enough. Guess when you are upper middle class, white, straight and work largely with oil and gas related companies you have to form whatever opinion you can that protects your status quo.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

https://business.financialpost.com/commodities/agriculture/update-1-china-to-stop-all-imports-of-meat-products-from-canada-on-wednesday-media-report

well, I am going to do my part and buy a bunch of meat for the freezer, my smoker has only been used once so far this season and perhaps I can get some briskets etc on the cheap.

They really ought to find the people who issued the fake vet certs and kick them in the head for fucking it up for the whole country.

Nosf wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »

They really ought to find the people who issued the fake vet certs and kick them in the head for fucking it up for the whole country.

While yes, let's not kid ourselves. This is China attacking us, and using the fake certificates as an excuse. If not that, they'd have found or made up another reason.

sig.gif
    https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/for-the-first-time-canada-adds-white-supremacist-neo-nazi-groups-to-its-list-of-terrorist-organizations

For the first time, Canada adds white supremacist neo-Nazi groups to its list of terrorist organizations
    The Criminal Code list of terrorism entities now includes Blood and Honour, an 'international neo-Nazi network

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I thought some of the nouns of Odin groups were already on that list?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/rcmp-hate-elections-canada-canadian-nationalist-party-1.5193358

"Oh man, we sure do hate those je….uh, parasitic tribe who totally aren't the jews."

Nosf on
    Suck it Ford

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-court-appeal-carbon-tax-ruling-1.5192914?fbclid=IwAR3uyUYDDKuuxbayQjVTYfroSqeubLexnaqWGIDUhKunFgPJN8Savr36b7s

Ontario's top court has ruled the federal government's carbon charge is constitutionally sound.

In a split decision, the five-judge panel rejected a challenge from Premier Doug Ford's government to the validity of the carbon-pricing law.

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Hopefully the Supreme Court tells Saskatchewan the same thing in a few months and we can put this damn thing to bed and I can keep getting my carbon tax monies back each year.

Lorek wrote: »
    Hopefully the Supreme Court tells Saskatchewan the same thing in a few months and we can put this damn thing to bed and I can keep getting my carbon tax monies back each year.

Didn't Sask already lose their challenge? or was that just the provincial court?

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

Didn't Sask already lose their challenge? or was that just the provincial court?

That was provincial and they appealed up. The Supreme Court of Canada announced a few days ago they'll hear it in December.
    https://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/news-and-media/2019/june/25/supreme-court-of-canada-to-hear-carbon-tax-case

That was provincial and they appealed up. The Supreme Court of Canada announced a few days ago they'll hear it in December.
    https://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/news-and-media/2019/june/25/supreme-court-of-canada-to-hear-carbon-tax-case

Ah well hopefully the ruling is the same and the provinces can stop with this bullshit.

Ah well hopefully the ruling is the same and the provinces can stop with this bullshit.

Spoiler: They won't stop.

steam_sig.png
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Happy Canada Day Everyone!

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    It's the most important day of the year.
    Moving day!

sig.gif
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Here's a teen singing the Canadian anthem in Cree <3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjNLnxQ4IRY

steam_sig.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    They provide a transliteration of the lyrics in the video description, but unfortunately I can't find an online translation program that does Cree (e.g. Google translate doesn't provide it as an option).

I mention this entirely because I saw a Twitter thread today noting that the French and English versions of O Canada are not the same song at all. Though they could be described as Protestant (English) and Catholic (French).

So I'm wondering if they did a direct translation of either version or the Cree version of O Canada has different lyrics still.

Shadowen on
    Shadowen wrote: »
    They provide a transliteration of the lyrics in the video description, but unfortunately I can't find an online translation program that does Cree (e.g. Google translate doesn't provide it as an option).

I mention this entirely because I saw a Twitter thread today noting that the French and English versions of O Canada are not the same song at all. Though they could be described as Protestant (English) and Catholic (French).

So I'm wondering if they did a direct translation of either version or the Cree version of O Canada has different lyrics still.

Let me know if you find one. I didn't even know there was an official Cree version of O Canada. I'd love to know what it says.

sig.gif

You want to save democracy? Ban the Conservative platform, imprison all corporate lobbyists, implement proportional representation, break up the newspaper empires, tax the rich until they're middle-class. Only the state, commanded by a democratic government, should wield great wealth.

Shadowen wrote: »

Let me know if you find one. I didn't even know there was an official Cree version of O Canada. I'd love to know what it says.

After a few minutes of googling, I found this YouTube video with two Ojibwe versions of O Canada, both with translations in the video description. Neither is "official", but both have a very similar theme running, about how precious our land is and how we should be thankful for it and take care of it.

I find it oddly fitting that every nation in our Confederation should have a different version of O Canada, that follows the same melody and beats but injects its own unique core beliefs.

sig.gif
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    In a metaphor for the housing crisis, I can no longer watch Canada Day fireworks at Parliament from my balcony because of a single condo building perfectly placed to obscure them:

je6kxx9cwehw.jpg

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Happy Canada Day, Canada Thread.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

Yeah, that's pretty damning on the part of the NB papers. deAdder is consistently one of the best political cartoonists in the country.
    His cartoons are published in Halifax's largest paper fairly regularly (including the one at the center of this dust up). I certainly hope they keep publishing him.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    There's a front page article in the Chronicle Herald in Halifax today, directly addressing the Michael deAdder situation. Among other things, they talk about the importance of a free press, and how important it is to be able to criticize someone like Trump and not let his actions be normalized. They re-printed the cartoon at the center of this as part of the article.
    Separate from that, the paper's main political cartoon today is also by deAdder.

There was also this;

Glad to see the Herald being vocally on the correct side of this.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Honestly, it's not even close to controversial cartoon. In fact, when I first heard he'd been fired for publishing it, I thought it was manufactured outrage. I've seen more 'cutting' ones that use his daughter as a punchline as a joke.

Hateful american anti-abortion propaganda flick to screen in Canada. In case anyone still thought Scheer and his kin weren't planning on curtailing abortion rights if they win in the fall.

sig.gif
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    "Hi it's Sarah from the Conservative Party!"

Blaaagh. At least they've finally stopped making up fake organizations for those mass-texts even if they're still fake senders...

I've resolved to tell every poller that calls that I'll be voting for Bernier and the PPC. I suggest everyone does the same. Falsely boosting their polling results may encourage actual conservatives to leave the CPC for them, splitting the alt-right vote and helping left-wing parties. And as a bonus, watching support for the PPC collapse on election night will just be hilarious.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.