As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=ICnUJl0t0Xw

So, Jon is ranting about McConnell some more. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the band playing Saria's Song at the start of this clip?

Glad he turned his ire on the right people this time.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

So, Jon is ranting about McConnell some more. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the band playing Saria's Song at the start of this clip?

My only real problem is I wish everyone who doesn't have a super strong case for the american people could get this activism. Like in america there are thousands who are dying because they don't have healthcare or money, and there isn't any activist pounding the pavement to save them.

Its not on John Stewart of course, but it kind of bugs me how certain groups in america get special attention "we must help them" while everyday americans suffer and die because they don't have a good enough story beyond "got fucked by america."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

My only real problem is I wish everyone who doesn't have a super strong case for the american people could get this activism. Like in america there are thousands who are dying because they don't have healthcare or money, and there isn't any activist pounding the pavement to save them.

Its not on John Stewart of course, but it kind of bugs me how certain groups in america get special attention "we must help them" while everyday americans suffer and die because they don't have a good enough story beyond "got fucked by america."

In his Congressional testimony Jon does mention no one should have to choose between living and having a place to live, but then goes on to emphasize the 9/11 first responders most of all.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

A lot of the people being helped by this funding are suffering because they helped pick up the pieces in the days after the worst terrorist attack in our nation's history.

And the government lied to them on the spot about the danger their long term health was in.

I've worked with people likely killed by post 9/11 illness.

I've worked with people still currently dealing with it.

I have to wonder if my father or one of my friends is going to call one day to say they are the next guy out of about 250 to get a one in a million cancer or blood illness.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    I'm not saying they don't deserve healthcare, they totally do, but again so do millions of other american who didn't respond to an american tragedy, they are just part of the great growing american tragedy of our shitty healthcare system. Who will advocate for them with late night appearences and congressional hearings?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I get what you're saying preacher but this is different. Everyone should be taken care of, but that's not the world we live in. At the very least we can take care of those that risked everything and responded. Much like how we'really supposed to take care of vets. Everyone should have the services but vets are provided it because of what they had to endure.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I'm not saying they don't deserve healthcare, they totally do, but again so do millions of other american who didn't respond to an american tragedy, they are just part of the great growing american tragedy of our shitty healthcare system. Who will advocate for them with late night appearences and congressional hearings?

This has a very "all lives matter" feel to it. We all agree that healthcare in America is bullshit. But these are people who are first responders and came together during a major attack on our country to try and rescue people and save what property they could. They are suffering and they damn well should be taken care of.

Yes, fix the healthcare system, but in the meantime these people are suffering and that bullshit can be fixed.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I would love to know where McConnell was during 9/11

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    I would love to know where McConnell was during 9/11

DC was in fucking chaos, so probably shitting himself with the rest of us.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Well, the House Ways and Means committee held a hearing on Medicare For All last week. There was plenty of healthcare discussion in 2017 when ACA repeal was on the table, including an impassioned monologue from late night host Jimmy Kimmel. The entire Democratic field is arguing over whether we should have universal single payer health care immediately or over the next five years. Activists like Ady Barkin continue to make sure health care is a top priority for the party. This idea that like, Jon Stewart isn’t giving voice to the voiceless in need of health care is ridiculous. It’s an issue that has plenty of advocates. The 9/11 responders don’t, they’re a small group of people with specialized needs and large financial burdens who can’t afford to wait. Them having someone famous in their corner, who incidentally did argue that nobody deserves to die or go bankrupt for lack of healthcare, doesn’t take away from anyone else. If anything, this corner of the issue reminds people about the broader fight.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I think the thing is that this is an issue that hits close to home for Stewart.

It's like a guy who is talking about how bullshit it is that his family had to chip in to buy his cousin who is deployed in Iraq good body armor and then someone goes "Yeah well the entire military industrial complex in the US is bullshit"

And it's like, ok, they're not wrong but maybe not the best time to try and shift the discussion to that if that makes sense?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've been distracted by a lot of shit this week so I only just now got to Last Week Tonight. People leaving garbage all over Mount Everest is a fucking travesty. What the fuck is the matter with them?

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I've been distracted by a lot of shit this week so I only just now got to Last Week Tonight. People leaving garbage all over Mount Everest is a fucking travesty. What the fuck is the matter with them?

They are simultaneously rich and their brains are leaking out of the bottom of the skull.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

I haven't watched Last Week Tonight yet, but if this is referring to trash left at the summit, it's because your body is literally dying every second you spend, and every single extra bit of weight makes it more likely that you will die.

If this is about trash left at base camp or something, it's because humans are earth's largest parasite.

It's purely just rich people hubris that has people just trashing the mountain.

I've long held if you want a risky cool kid way of risking your life, take up deep sea diving, that shits a lot more dangerous, and I guarantee everyone else on your twitter space ain't doing it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    You know, if they just made you climb 2 of the top 10 highest mountains before getting to go up Everest this problem would completely solve itself.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Rich people (who don't even do the hard work of climbing) dying on Everest gets the same reaction from me as hearing about rich people who get mauled by lions or elephants they're "hunting."

Doodmann wrote: »
    You know, if they just made you climb 2 of the top 10 highest mountains before getting to go up Everest this problem would completely solve itself.

Well last week tonight highlights a problem with this in that two countries let you have access to the slope, and one is strict and one is not. And the one that's not uses the tourism to boost its economy which does good things for the local populace sadly also while risking their lives so middle managers at a forbes 500 company can #squad goals

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Some More News decided to spend a little over an hour on Ben Shapiro's bullshit and it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDMjgOYOcDw

What I was sad about in that video beyond Shapiro being sad, but that Gary Sinise supports him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    What I was sad about in that video beyond Shapiro being sad, but that Gary Sinise supports him.

I was just sad that I couldn't cram it in to my lunch break. That was a very generous serving of news.

I highly recommend the BBC interview as a chaser if you have room for one more tiny wafer of news.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    It's purely just rich people hubris that has people just trashing the mountain.

I've long held if you want a risky cool kid way of risking your life, take up deep sea diving, that shits a lot more dangerous, and I guarantee everyone else on your twitter space ain't doing it.

And if you do it right, you actually leave with more garbage than you came with!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/diving-world-record-clean-up-rubbish-litter-plastic-ocean-sea-florida-a8960691.html

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

I haven't watched Last Week Tonight yet, but if this is referring to trash left at the summit, it's because your body is literally dying every second you spend, and every single extra bit of weight makes it more likely that you will die.

If this is about trash left at base camp or something, it's because humans are earth's largest parasite.

If you're not fit enough to scale Everest and bring your trash back down with you, maybe you shouldn't be scaling Everest.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »

Maybe you shouldn't be scaling Everest.

Sound advice for all of mankind.

sig.gif
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    There was a book I read about Everest in maybe the late 90s about a particularly bad storm on Everest and why people die up there and it is amazing to read about. Into thin air I think? Obviously it has only gotten worth since the book came out but even then there were people being dragged up the mountain by sherpas.

I’m pretty sure the trash up there includes frozen corpses too.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    There was a book I read about Everest in maybe the late 90s about a particularly bad storm on Everest and why people die up there and it is amazing to read about. Into thin air I think? Obviously it has only gotten worth since the book came out but even then there were people being dragged up the mountain by sherpas.

Yes, that was Into Thin Air. There was also a documentary on Everest shot at the same time as the events in the book (by pure coincidence.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

There is a landmark near the summit of a climber who died in a small cave wearing highlighter green climbing boots who is nicknamed Green Boots. He is one of over 200 corpses left on the mountain.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

It does. In fact corpses are sometimes used as guideposts by the sherpas and experienced climbers to find their way up the mountain in less-than-ideal conditions.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2019
    Oh goddamn it. :(

Edit - Looking into it, Sinise isn't a full-on right-wing wacko type. He refused to vote for Trump and has drawn a harder line because he was a huge McCain supporter and hates Trump's constant attacks on the recently deceased senator.

Henroid on
    Oh goddamn it. :(

Edit - Looking into it, Sinise isn't a full-on right-wing wacko type. He refused to vote for Trump and has drawn a harder line because he was a huge McCain supporter and hates Trump's constant attacks on the recently deceased senator.

That's good, but that he still gives pig shit like Shapiro the time of day is bad.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Kamar wrote: »
    Some More News decided to spend a little over an hour on Ben Shapiro's bullshit and it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDMjgOYOcDw
    I've been well aware of Ben Shapiro's horse shit but this video does such a good job of explaining it (with citation).

edited July 2019
    Okay this is pretty good and not American government related!

One of Conan O'Brien's guests canceled at the last minute last week and it was still pretty entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTuQZ_VYM0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-NFd4meW3Y

Henroid on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I liked that. Felt like fun instead of the normal pre-ready standard late night.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

One of Conan O'Brien's guests canceled at the last minute last week and it was still pretty entertaining.

This is why Conan is the best.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

This is why Conan is the best.

I mean really this is why I miss the Kevin Pollak Chat Show podcast because this kind of thing is what it was.

Seth's show is back this week and hoooo boy I didn't know Trump doubled down on his racist shit today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYqelKm5nqA

You mean he put some kindling with that racial energy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Some More News put out a short video on John Kelly's relationship with our border concentration camps a few weeks ago that no one else linked, so I'll link it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siOBkdifgFc

Good timing. While that's an in-depth look on Kelly specifically, they put up a video today on the grifting going on throughout the administration. Kelly gets a passing mention specifically because of the episode above. All of the details in this new episode are shit we've definitely covered on this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wieUja4WYag

I love how stupid this is. The Late Night Democratic Primary Debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiEQpJ6nheM