As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Far From Home Is Close At Hand (Endgame Spoilers All Up Ins)

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I bet it's going to be the resurrection of Black Widow.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I don't think it can be? That's a massive status quo shift that a fraction of the audience is gonna be aware of.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    My guess is that it'll be some sort of teaser based on some of the stuff they got from Fox. They've probably cast some people in some roles by now.

reVerse on
  • Options
    I don't think it can be? That's a massive status quo shift that a fraction of the audience is gonna be aware of.

I feel like it has to be since she's got a movie coming out. "come see a movie about this dead character you'll never see again" just doesn't sell me.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Xaquin wrote: »

I feel like it has to be since she's got a movie coming out. "come see a movie about this dead character you'll never see again" just doesn't sell me.

The Black Widow movie in production is a prequel. Practically an Origin Story, if what I've read is accurate. (edit: not that I've gone looking for spoilers, but as you noted, it being about a dead character seems to make it vastly more likely to take place in the past, maybe we'll finally find out about the clusterfuck that was Budapest?)

"The (previously) Untold Tale of ______" is very Comic Book'y in and of itself, so as a premise I'm okay with it.

Plus it's about time she got her own movie (yes I'm aware of the conflicts that reportedly made that timing difficult, plus bullshit behind the scenes, nobody needs to @ me)

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

I think the Black Widow movie has been 'leaked' if those leaks can be trusted it's
    a prequel about Nat training the new Black Widow to be her successor. Unsure if this takes place during the 5 year gap or not but that makes the most sense.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I would be shocked if it were anything related to the Fox merger. The audience for the re-release isn't nearly big enough for something like that. You want people hyping that up on opening night.

And they've said they wanted Endgame to be The End and let that have its moment instead of using it to tease new shit.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh christ, I hope it isn't something about the interminable "did Cap go to another tineline" stuff.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Apparently Feige says it's "a deleted scene, and some extra surprises" we don't know if it is a stinger yet... I think? Is the new version in theaters yet?

hopefully it's a funeral for black widow

She had a spy funeral. If you don't know where it is, you aren't invited.

• Options
    Apparently Feige says it's "a deleted scene, and some extra surprises" we don't know if it is a stinger yet... I think? Is the new version in theaters yet?

I payed!

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I figure it'll be:
    Gag Reel
    Stan Lee Tribute
    Deleted Scenes

The deleted scenes may have something totally 'out there' that wasn't in the final cut, but I doubt it'll be anything momentous. Best case would be some conversation between characters that was cut for pacing but was still really interesting. Maybe something with Peter and little what's-her-name after the funeral... assuming they actually told Holland that Stark stayed dead before opening night.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Oh christ, I hope it isn't something about the interminable "did Cap go to another tineline" stuff.

amzvix269518.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If there's one thing I would have loved to see, it would be Cap
    handing off the Soul Stone to Red Skull.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    I would be shocked if it were anything related to the Fox merger. The audience for the re-release isn't nearly big enough for something like that. You want people hyping that up on opening night.

And they've said they wanted Endgame to be The End and let that have its moment instead of using it to tease new shit.

Sure, for the original, but this is a "re-release". It could be teasing all the new shit.

(Also Far From Home is the actual end of the Infinity Saga.)

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Usually there's a new trailer for the next marvel movie right when one comes out.

We have nothing at all past Far From Home, which is strange.

My bet is its the trailer for whatever is coming after that - Eternals or Widow or whatever - and it will be widely available online once the Avatar record is broken.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I payed!

Spies recognize no currencies except blood and secrets.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

It's those kind of shenanigans that lead to disaffected generals stealing VX gas and taking over island prisons

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

It seriously is crazy to me that the credits didn’t have a smashcut of cap taking care of things

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

It seriously is crazy to me that the credits didn’t have a smashcut of cap taking care of things

I suspect they wanted to maintain the feeling of finality and completion through the credits. That audience sense of "what now" that everything is over. Having a smash cut of Cap is a bit like tacking on a "here's what happened next" chapter after the last chapter in a book.

I think the signatures did a great job of carrying the "end of the story" feeling.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    That makes me want an 80s movie ending version now with freeze frame scenes and "here's what they went on to do" text overlays

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

It's those kind of shenanigans that lead to disaffected generals stealing VX gas and taking over island prisons

And? That shit is awesome, there's clearly no downside here.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Do you want Bayformers? Because that’s how you get Bayformers.

• Options
    Look, I don't care where things went, I entirely seriously love The Rock as a movie, so I'm onboard.

• Options

Do you want Bayformers? Because that’s how you get Bayformers.

I am suitably chastised.

Though The Rock is still a fun film.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    That makes me want an 80s movie ending version now with freeze frame scenes and "here's what they went on to do" text overlays

Endgame aside, for some reason i really do love that in movies.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    According to the scoop extraordinaire at MCU Cosmic, the second release will feature a deleted scene, a Stan Lee tribute, and a "short tease" for Spider-Man: Far From Home. Better yet, the report suggests the deleted scene will feature Mark Ruffalo's Hulk, though no details beyond that were available.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/06/25/avengers-endgame-re-release-deleted-scenes-post-credits-stan-lee/?fbclid=IwAR2SstUF574LQULSuSdRKzqjypDVjP06MTNIKSzaoz1TLNcVfS3cKScuCYQ

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It had better be Mark Ruffalo's Hulk. I mean, the other options are what, Edward Norton and Eric Bana? The former was a dud and the latter isn't even canon!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Likely that scene they talked about doing showing the Bruce/Hulk reconciliation that they thought didn't end up working.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I really hope the Back Widow movie isn't a prequel, but they wrote themselves a nice excuse to make it one so woe is me most likely.

But poor way to start the next phase- reminding us what we lost.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So, I read today that if you add up the official runtime of all the movies, inc. Far From Home, it's 3000 minutes exactly

We miss you Tony... :(

spool32 on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    So, I read today that if you add up the official runtime of all the movies, inc. Far From Home, it's 3000 minutes exactly

We miss you Tony... :(

Pity the deleted scene they’re adding to Endgame probably ruins it.

• Options
    It's not exactly 3000 minutes at the moment, it's somewhere just under 2900, with Far From Home adding another 100+ minutes to that. But yeah, that's where the line comes from.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Double dose of Far From Home scheduled for this Friday. Wife wanted to go late Friday night, but haven't told her I'm skipping out of work early to go watch with coworkers too.

Don't tell her I'm cheating on her.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm still all worn out from Endgame, so weirdly I don't feel particularly excited about Far From Home at this point. I'll go and see it, not least because cinemas are a great place to cool down when it's 35°C outside, but if I happened to miss it because there are too many other things on, I wouldn't really mind all that much. It's not so much that I'm burned out on the MCU, I still want to know what happens next, it's more that I wouldn't mind a break before whatever happens next actually happens.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a break before whatever happens next actually happens.

Well, the next MCU film comes out in 2020, so you’ll get one.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Just got out of Far From Home and...pretty happy with the whole thing.

General feelings spoilers(no story spoilers or anything):
    I wasn't fully feeling it until the second half or so, the pacing felt all off kilter and some scenes went on too long or felt rushed. But it's a pretty good time. I really wish I was able to see it in 3D, but an early screening is always a win. Cant wait to see more reactions as it gets a wider release.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm pretty miffed, pretty sure I saw an ad on Instagram that just straight up showed a portion of the film near the end
    it showed MJ hitching a ride with Peter for the first time and not enjoying it, but... It was very clearly in NY and he's wearing his newer suit

What is it with Sony, Spidey, and making ads featuring the end of their films?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty miffed, pretty sure I saw an ad on Instagram that just straight up showed a portion of the film near the end
    it showed MJ hitching a ride with Peter for the first time and not enjoying it, but... It was very clearly in NY and he's wearing his newer suit

What is it with Sony, Spidey, and making ads featuring the end of their films?

Almost all films do this. There are some films that use the literal final shot in their trailers. It's why some deride trailers as showing the entire movie.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Endgame trailer showed the Big Three walking up to fight Thanos.
    The important part is context. In that case, I never considered that it wasn't the one who'd killed half the universe they were about to fight, so the spoiler was just 'the heroes will fight the villain', which didn't exactly ruin things.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Most of the MCU films seem to do pretty well about not letting trailers fuck over the the movie content, up to and including a variety of shots that actually don't even end up in the final film or are significantly different in some way. Sony being shitheads about Spidey trailers is no surprise, but I can't remember a single time I was ever concerned about watching other MCU trailers and having things spoiled.

In fact, I have to wonder if the people actually making MCU films intentionally feed incorrect scenes to the generally-shitty trailer-makes in order to actively sabotage their attempts to put the big movie moments in the trailer.

This discussion has been closed.