As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Conan Exiles: Penny Arcade Server Now Online

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    New DLC out today - Treasures of Turan. Indian themed, at a glance. Elephants. New armor/weapons. New building style.

Also, a "Year 2 Season Pass" which basically amounts to buy 3, get 1 free on DLCs, with the next 3 DLCs named:

Riders of Hyboria (mounts?? seems unlikely but one can hope!)
    Blood and Sand (guessing an Arabic theme, maybe Persian)
    Mysteries of Acheron (could this be sorcery? :D )

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The Treasures of Turan looks Persian to me.

In addition to today's DLC update, they also updated their PTR with a new patch with a ton of stuff for the future.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/440900/announcements/detail/3289225878481393347

PTR Highlight bullet points:
    • New Dungeon: The Sunken City - a max level dungeon with a Deep One boss
    • Witch Doctor - a new feat that allows you to have skeletons and wights as pets
    • Frost Giants and Scorpions now tamable as pets
    • Sepemaru, New Asgarth, Summoning Place, and Volcano getting revamps (similar to the Unnamed City revamp)

edited April 2019
    Looks like Turan is a Turkish-Persian hodgepodge. I couldn't see the images very clearly on my tiny outdated phone. :lol:

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    At one point, very late in the Early Access phase of this game's life, Joel Bylos (the game director) stated that the major core features that they mentioned as "wanting to do" during Early Access, but didn't have time or resources, would be free if and when they were ever added to the game in the future.

Pet taming was one of those things. The other two major gameplay mechanics that got mentioned as "want to do" a whole bunch during Early Access were mounts and sorcery.

Assuming they stick to their word, which I would imagine they will, those things will be free to all players.

I'm expecting a big announcement at E3 or around that same time this summer. I'm expecting an expansion (or expansion sized patch) that adds a new biome, mounts, sorcery, and a lot of the other stuff that was left out at launch due to time and money.

They've also said several times that mounts aren't ever coming because they just can't make them work. :(

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Yeah, that's a technical hurdle. They said they would have to rebuild the entire world map to make mounts work.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Still, all that new content would be enough to bring me back. I suppose I'll start a private server this time. Are you on a public server, PP ?

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Looks like Turan is a Turkish-Persian hodgepodge. I couldn't see the images very clearly on my tiny outdated phone. :lol:

Yeah it looks very Suljuk era turco-persian minus the overtly Islamic parts.

edited April 2019
    I think I mentioned that I got a bunch of friends to play when they did their Free to Play weekend on Steam, close to a month ago now.

Funcom seriously owes me a lunch or something. I've contributed at least 8 game sales for the core game, and also my friends are hooked and have been buying the DLC packs.

And anyway, we were on last night, there were 6 of us on, and we had a really fun night. Started the evening with a purge. I've got my server settings set so that a purge only triggers when there are 3 or more players online. And we had a meter that was built up and ready to go. After the purge, we went over to the Mounds of the Dead area and zoned into that one room cave dungeon and killed the boss there for his recipes and quest item.

Then we went up north and I showed a couple of my friends how to mine star metal because they never have before. After that we went into the Frost Giant temple and cleared the place, learned the recipes in there, and mined a whole shload of black ice.

All in all a very fun eve of Conan.

Lucascraft on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Decided to pick this up at a friends suggestion. . .does the combat get any better in this game? I honestly like every aspect of the game but the combat just feels bad to me. Like I had this epic war of Iron Ore Hill with those stupid Rock Monsters and finally got enough iron to make an iron mace because I'm thinking "well they're made out of rock, iron should wreck them." Nope, just does 1 more point of damage to the enemies and still takes about a minute of whacking to get them down. Then I think "OK maybe if I make this two handed hammer, it will stagger the enemy and I'll be able to more efficiently clear out the area." Nope. No staggering. . .at least no appreciable staggers to break enemies out of their attacks (I did see you could sort of chain stun some of the enemies).

. . .I get that combat is not the main bread and butter of the game, but when it's just so plain as this and is required to clear out areas for the base-building features of the game, it's a real bummer.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Trying to think back that unless they rebalanced things, maces were more for high armor targets but that never seemed that much of an issue. Swords and eventually axes with a shield are my bread and butter out in the world while spears are generally an OP weapon when you don't need to tank hits.

But it's been awhile since I played. I'm a big mace/hammer fan so I was saddened they aren't that great in this game.

Oh, and speaking of the Frost Giant Temple, that place is a Frostbite zone. I always have the Vitality perk that reduces temperature effects, and I was wearing armor that gave +1 to cold resist, but even still I was hitting Frostbite status in the temple. I'm pretty sure that part of the map is the coldest place in the game. And anyway, is there better armor for protection against Frostbite status?

I know the Silent Legion armor gives like +5 to heat resistance, so it is pretty much the best armor for doing stuff in the volcano. But I am unaware of any armor that is better for cold resist.

We weren't really prepared last night for the excursion into the Frost Giant Temple. That was just a spur of the moment decision while we were in the region, so we didn't have any spicy food or Fire Water on us.

ED! wrote: »
    Decided to pick this up at a friends suggestion. . .does the combat get any better in this game? I honestly like every aspect of the game but the combat just feels bad to me. Like I had this epic war of Iron Ore Hill with those stupid Rock Monsters and finally got enough iron to make an iron mace because I'm thinking "well they're made out of rock, iron should wreck them." Nope, just does 1 more point of damage to the enemies and still takes about a minute of whacking to get them down. Then I think "OK maybe if I make this two handed hammer, it will stagger the enemy and I'll be able to more efficiently clear out the area." Nope. No staggering. . .at least no appreciable staggers to break enemies out of their attacks (I did see you could sort of chain stun some of the enemies).

. . .I get that combat is not the main bread and butter of the game, but when it's just so plain as this and is required to clear out areas for the base-building features of the game, it's a real bummer.

Some combat pointers:

1) Don't be afraid to respec your character based on your primary activities. The bonus perks in the Strength tree, specifically, go a long way to improving your combat prowess. You can stack a bunch of multipliers and end up doing a ton of damage.
    2) Weapon type matters. Each weapon has a secondary effect, and depending on if you are playing solo or with friends, it will make a big difference on your weapon. (I will cover weaponry down below).
    3) Left Mouse click is "standard attack" and Right mouse click is "heavy attack." Combo these together to get the most bang for your buck. Most combos, as I recall, are 4 hit attack strings. Make sure you're landing all 4 attacks in a combo.
    4) Dodge, dodge, dodge. The default dodge key is Left+Alt key. Make it your friend.
    5) Never run out of stamina 100%. If you get close, back away and let your stamina regen. You don't want to get locked out of actions by being stamina drained.
    6) Lock on to your target with Q. This helps with landing combos and character facing. Q is your friend.

There are a total of 4 weapon-based status effects in the game:
    --Bleed
    --Cripple
    --Sunder
    --Poison

Bleed is produced by daggers. Chain dagger heavy combos together to rack up multiple stacks of bleeds. 1H Axes will also produce a bleed with a heavy combo, but you cannot stack it as high as if you are using daggers.

Cripple is a snare effect, good for kiting and slowing your enemy, better in PVP. Not as good in PVE. Swords and arrow shots to the leg produce cripple.

Sunder is produced by maces, both 1H and 2H varieties. Sunder specifically reduces their armor rating, which enables higher damage from all direct sources. This is best used in groups and with switching weapons. Sunder them, then switch to a different weapon to take advantage of the sunder effect.

Poison is attached to Set Arrows (which are the best arrows in the game). You can also craft poison vials at the Firebowl Cauldron (alchemy crafting station) that can be applied to weapons to give the weapons a temporary poison effect. Lastly, if you max out the Set religion, learning all of its feats, you can craft named daggers called Snakebite that have a very potent poison effect. Poison is very strong against elite and boss enemies, and you should get in the habit of carrying Set arrows on any adventures you do. Basically, all players need to learn the Set religion. It's the best religion in the game.

Lastly, I believe it's the 2nd perk on the Strength tree that gives you a 25% damage bonus against targets with status effects. This is vital to combat. Any status effect counts for this. So Bleed, Cripple, Sunder, or Poison. If the enemy is afflicted by any of these, and you have that perk, you will do 25% bonus damage to them with every attack. There are other multipliers in that tree as well, but the 2nd perk is by far the most important one since it is easily reached.

Hope this helps.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    For solo play, I've always had the best luck with daggers or pikes. I usually go daggers just for the mobility, but pikes are useful against armored targets.

Spears are just stupidly OP.

As for the cold... without mods, there's no cold equivalent to Silent Legion's heat resistance, which is odd. With mods, I do have an equivalent, so I've not had to worry much about frostbite. At work so I can't look it up, but there's a mod called Warrior armor or somesuch thing that adds a shitload of really well done armors to the game.

Also, you can keep eating hot/spicy food or carry a torch to increase your warmth... but I'm sure you knew that already so I'm mostly just throwing it in there for other players who might not.

Also for new players:
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    6) Lock on to your target with Q. This helps with landing combos and character facing. Q is your friend.

Unless they've patched this somewhere along the way, by default target lock is disabled. You have to go into your game settings and enable it. It makes a big difference, though.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Another hotfix today. Dang, these people patch more than anyone else I know not named Blizzard:

Hey everybody!

We’re releasing a new hotfix for the game that should take care of a few critical issues introduced with the last patch. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

One of those issues was the ability to knock out and break some NPC bosses, which is completely unintentional. Since it could result in some critical balancing problems within the game, there will be a targeted wipe of any boss-mob that has been captured: that affects ALL NPCs from the Dagon dungeon and the emissaries from the Volcano area (Emissary of Haon-Dor and Emissary of Tsathouggu).

This wipe will come into action once all official servers are being restarted to apply the patch. This auto-wipe will only affect official servers. We sincerely apologize for the short notice, but we agreed that this would cause an extreme imbalance in the game mechanics if not acted upon swiftly.

Thanks again community for your continued feedback and support.

Please remember that updates can mess with your installed mods. We suggest taking a backup of your current database before updating to any new patch if you have mods installed.

Players can no longer knock out and break the Emissary bosses from the Underwater Dungeon. PLEASE NOTE: Any existing thralls gained in this way will be removed in a patch shortly.
    Inventory of Gazelles is now back from 10 to 20.
    Fixed an issue that made a number of NPCs unavailable in the game.

Fixed an issue that would prevent climbing in caves and other locations.
    Fixed a visual issue in which human NPC corpses would flicker or disappear.
    Nordheimer heart now correctly drops from Tier 4 Nordheimer enemies.

Resources can be harvested in dungeons again (i.e Black Ice in the Temple of Frost).

Conflict option in Server Browser’s Combat Mode drop-down is now functional again.
    Server Settings in menu can now be saved again.
    Fixed an issue that prevented resolution settings from applying correctly.
    The Event log privacy option is available again in the server settings menu.

Fairchild on
    I'm fixing to start playing this again once I finish my run of ARKHAM: Origins and I'm tempted to start a new thread since the PA server no longer exists.

At least I don't think it does.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I've been playing this pretty extensively on the PS4 since it was free for PS+ last month. Is there a place I can go to figure things out? Like, in Terraria there was the Guide that you could drop items into and he'd tell you what you could build with it. They need something like that in this game.

Is there an easier way to get bark over using a pickaxe on a tree? That seems to be my bottleneck on things. Also is there a "friendly" camp? What's the point of the gold/silver coins if not?

urahonky on
    Oh yes, much easier. I haven't played since it went in, but I believe that the Woodcarver will transform raw wood into Bark. Someone who is more familiar with the current state of the game please correct me if I'm wrong.

They took that back out again, unfortunately.

For a while you got bark as a byproduct of crafting shaped wood. But that is gone.

Now you either harvest it like the old days, or you build an improved carpenter's bench and there's a recipe that converts raw wood into bark, but you get no shaped wood or anything else in the process. It's a less good replacement for what they took away.

urahonky wrote: »
    I've been playing this pretty extensively on the PS4 since it was free for PS+ last month. Is there a place I can go to figure things out? Like, in Terraria there was the Guide that you could drop items into and he'd tell you what you could build with it. They need something like that in this game.

Is there an easier way to get bark over using a pickaxe on a tree? That seems to be my bottleneck on things. Also is there a "friendly" camp? What's the point of the gold/silver coins if not?

There are some merchants that sell wildly overpriced things, but the main use of gold and silver coins is to grind down into gold and silver dust for recipes. Gold coins will buy you some pets, though, including camels and spiders.

Bark is a problem if you can't play with mods, until you get the advanced carpentry station, at which point you will get 1 bark every time you craft shaped wood (iirc - my game is modded so I may be misremembering).

Best source for info is a wiki, unfortunately. Everything in game is as cryptic as can be and very much a matter of serendipity and trial/error.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Alright thanks for the heads up. I really enjoy the game even seeing the limitations. I'm playing locally on PS4 so it does give me the ability to spawn any item I want, but I'm trying to avoid cheating as much as possible.

When I last played CONAN EXILES, I had two characters, one with full Admin priveleges so that I could test out various structures and building techniques without burning valuable resources in my "real game".

That's a good idea. I don't know if it's possible to change characters on the PS4 though... and I'm scared to check (although I could use Server Admin to change my level back to my current level).

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Started playing this last week again on a whim, started a new solo play with a new character.
    Decent game, not really balanced for solo play though.
    Or balanced, period.

Combat is bit of a mixed bag, either too easy, or too tedious.
    1v1 most human npc's are easy, with groups it quickly gets slow slog as you hit once or twice and then dodge away and wait several seconds to get back stamina.
    The health amounts go up rather unreasonably as well, plain steel weapons stop being effective once you go north.

The main issue though is the amount of feat points it takes to learn to craft decent weapons, it's not like you can't respeck easily at anytime, but having to do so constantly while building bases and experimenting with weapons is pointless makework.

That said, the game is fun, currently setting up a second base up north near the lake with the ruin (my main one is on an island at the main river, just at the edge of the jungle biome), planning to make a third one north of sepermaru at some point.
    Also experimented with pets a bit, got a greater leopard and it is insane, 9k health and hits like a truck, a tiger with a skull killed me in couple hits and when i got back to the corpse from my base i found the leopard almost unharmed at my corpse, it soloes elephants and rhinoes with impunity.

Good game, bit too married to the multiplayer aspect when balancing crafting.

edit-
    Also, fuck spiders, holy fuck why does this game have so many spiders.

Nyysjan on
    If you're playing solo, you can respec your points if you make yourself a server admin. In case you didn't know! I did it for myself last night because I was initially going to be the archer of the group but all of my friends abandoned me so I had to switch to Strength instead.

I know, but at that point i could just spawn whatever i want on me because all i am doing is saving few seconds of brewing a potion.
    Like, 10 yellow lotusses and you can respec completely.
    I'm constantly fiddling with server settings because i want some challenge, but not pointless busywork.
    I've already moved gathering amounts to x2 and removed wear and tear on weapons (and have a mod to apply that to tools).
    Will probably move the wear to 0.1 of normal because it feels a bit cheaty.

thinking of changing the amount of damage i do to 2, maybe, will consider after i make and test some acheronian weapons.

Ah I didn't realize that you could respec in the game. That's good to know!

edited May 2019
    Yes, that's what the Yellow Lotus potions do. They are relatively easy to farm up.

Fairchild on
    edited May 2019
    There's also new potions to respec only stats or only feats.
    Which is nice, but the materials needed for those are insane considering how easy yellow lotus potions are to make.

Nyysjan on
    Well, tried to solo the arena dragon, got third if its health off and got unlunkcy with a dodge and ate a facefull of fire.
    Decided to try again in medium armor instead of of heavy, and on a whim brought a T4 bearer Peloer, gave him some heavy armor and acheronian waraxe and shield.
    He basicly soloed the dragon, in seconds.
    The combat, and npc's, in this game need some balancing.

• BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    The best way to get bark is from the white dried out dead trees that give you dry wood. Using the pick on those gets you more bark than from a normal tree

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
    Bonepart wrote: »
    The best way to get bark is from the white dried out dead trees that give you dry wood. Using the pick on those gets you more bark than from a normal tree

This is good to know!

New patch out today, plus CONAN EXILES is 50% off for the next two weeks in Steam's Summer Sale. At half price, that's a pretty durned good return on your videogame dollar.

New dungeon: The Warmaker's Sanctuary!
    Population revamp of additional faction capitals and caves!
    New loot!
    Temperature system update.
    Attribute changes to agility and survival.
    Weapon balance changes!
    Epic armors no longer require the basic armor as an ingredient when crafting them.
    A fix for the foundation stacking issue.
    A ton of bugfixes and QoL improvements! (God's Protection, flying thralls and more!)
    PS: A group of BFFs have gotten lost while exploring the Exiled Lands. Can you help them before it's too late?

Nice. I'll have to dig a little deeper into some of those changes.

I kinda fell off the Conan train a month or so ago, when I got back into Final Fantasy XIV to prep for Shadowbringers.

But a new dungeon plus balance changes is always an appealing drawback. I never actually ran the Sunken Temple one or whatever it was called. So I'm a little behind on content right now.

I've run the Midnight Grove on my singleplayer sandbox game with cheats enabled, just to see it, but I haven't run it for real.

I'll be experiencing the joys of WOW Patch 8.2 for a couple of weeks, but once that wears off I am planning on coming back to CONAN. I've missed a couple of content DLC's, I think, so I'll buy those and launch a singleplayer game where I can turn the cheats on if necessary.

• BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Just got back from vacation and saw the update. Was going to hit Lucascrafts server, but its missing.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
    edited July 2019
    Oh, maybe it stopped. I’ll tell it to update and restart.

I haven’t played in a while. Been too busy with Shadowbringers. All my gaming time has been going into XIV lately.

Lucascraft on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Went back to this over the weekend, a friend has a server so I decided to take another crack at it. They're running a few mods, Age of Calamitous notably whose startup screen is just the most... completely wrong art for Conan ever but meh.

Hadn't played for quite a while and finally saw my first purge. Bunch of lizards showed up at a friend's outpost and we all got together and killed them, then a giant croc who was also killed. Seemed pretty easy. Later that day, another purge notice...right at my humble little fort. Vanghouls. Fucking things just showed up and wrecked the place, what a mess. We killed a few and then it said they were defeated....which they weren't, not by a longshot. it was fun to watch one do some twirling, twirling, TWIRLING attack into the corner of my little fort and then see the whole corner and roof come down.

Fuck it, inspired me to build some elevators up to the natural stone arch over my base and will migrate everything up there eventually. In the short term I buggered off for the north and spent the night terrorizing New Asgarth for drops and experience. Those dogs are ... a bit much, with their leap attack.

You'd think that with as strong as the NPC dogs are that wolves would make great pets. But they actually seem pretty terrible in my experience.

So far I've had the best results with any cat family of pet, and also the insect bug things that you can buy their eggs for gold coins. Those are pretty good.