As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah I noticed that.

My first mini I put in was an Infinity Khawarij, which is fairly bulky for a 25mm base. A single 3mm magnet, which was enough for a metal Infinity mini on a plain sheet of metal didn't hold at all. I put 2 in, and it barely held. I put a single 4.75mm in, and it held a little better. Two 4.75mm magnets held it fine. I put in a more slender Infinity mini, and a single 4.75 held it fine. Both held enough that I could pretty vigorously shake the box and the mini went nowhere.

Then I put a 3mm magnet on a Will o' the Wisp, and shook it. Didn't hold. 2 3mm magnets held. I'll be throwing a third on that one just in case. Put a single 4.75mm magnet on the Voodoo Doll, and it held.

You just need bigger magnets because of that felt sheet. I like the felt, gives it a more luxurious look, so I'll just go with bigger magnets.

• Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    I thought about doing that, but was more trouble than its worth to me, also will make it harder to get the minis off my other case. I have a battlefoam magna rack for bulk storage/transport. The felt is really nice looking, but after peeling it off I'm sure it would be easy and cheap to replace if needed.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I like the l fact that with the felt, it holds enough to hold the miniature, but it's not hard to pick up. That's good for Malifaux models with their slender base joins.

• Options
    Right, agreed on that, but with heavy magnets to go through the felt when I put it on my magnarack (no felt) it's going to rip the model off the base. Plus then I'd have to drill some more holes for heavier magnets in my bases and I'm lazy. The felt is actually fairly standard I think. Peels off really easy, it's almost like a sticker adhesive on the back of it. All in all super happy with the product.

• Options
    Yeah fair enough. My stuff just lives in foam trays/soon a display cabinet. This case will be their primary mode of transport. So it works for me. Good to see you made it work for your stuff, it's too nice a case to not use.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I played a fraction of a turn with a friend over the weekend; I was trying to con him into playing and we managed to move three units in an hour and a half (then had to go to our D&D session).

Is there some good tutorial/learning thing? Or is that starter kit with the little scenarios a good one?

• Options
    edited January 2018
    The 2 player starter set is great for this. It walks you through a series of scenarios that start with 2 models in base contact attacking each other (so it walks you through opposed duels right away), then continues on adding extra models and their intricacies like henchmen getting upgrades and using soulstones, up to a 4v4 match.

The great thing about is is all 8 models are Mercenaries, so if you decide to actually start the game proper and decide on different factions you can still use them. They are however also keyworded thematic choices for certain masters if you want to keep going with them (Neverborn are thematically with Lilith and Guild are thematically with Sonnia Criid.

edit - My brother got me Zoraida for Christmas. Yay more miniatures for the backlog! I actually have all the miniatures I need already to run Mama Z. I've been reading up on her and yeah, the Voodoo Doll can do some bullshittery. One summoned, it Hems a target. Iggy applies 4-6 burning (depending on if you get tomes). Hemmed target gets the same 4-6 Burning. Zoraida Obeys him to put another 2 Burning on the Doll, then hits it with Aetheric Blast to immediately cause 4 damage. End of the turn, the Doll takes 2 Burning and dies, and transfers the 2 Burning damage to the target. Target takes 4-6 Burning damage itself. 10-12 damage.

Or instead of Aetheric Blast, Bad Juju smacks the Doll for 5, triggers Quicksand, Voodoo Doll takes Paralyzed and transfers it to the Hemmed target.

This is going to be a very fun master to learn.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Looks like Wyrd are getting into the 'whole fucking table' market of scenery. Their 'Wyrdscapes' line they teased a while ago with an interior detailed building turns out it's part of a full 3x3 modular hard plastic table (appears to be in 4 1.5' parts, this is one of those parts).

Wyrdscapes.thumb.jpg.932ddb4d6adefd16fdb7e5a89280dbf1.jpg
    Wyrdscapes is our new terrain line coming this year. Featuring detailed, high-quality plastic, the Wyrdscapes line will allow players to build beautiful, customizable tables.

The buildings have interchangeable floors, allowing you to build different looking buildings, all of which will stack on top of each other (well, it's hard to stack on the roof pieces, but you get the idea). The table itself is made up of smaller tiles you can spin and put in different locations. And last but not least, different elements of smaller terrain can fill in the final details.

We are very excited to have this project in the pipeline!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So... Wyrd is finally coming to conclude that my use of Dwarven Forge Dungeon Tiles was indeed the right choice. :-P

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    There's previews for 2 new story encounters, The Undying and Backdraft. Both seem to have 2 little lists with a pair of minion types and two named models each. The Undying is Resserectionists vs Ten Thunders, Backdraft is Gremlins vs Arcanists.

There's fun looking stuff in both. The minion types for Ten Thunders are Katashiro, or japanese paper dolls. They're origami constructs. Gremlins include the long awaited Whiskey Gamin.
    27459662_10156150833416458_1150812731801818672_n.jpg?oh=f12bea84728d2297b486ee54b83bff96&oe=5AEAEB88
    Wyrd_MondayPreview_2.5_2018.thumb.jpg.769c83e0fe3fe76bacd34cf5e4656871.jpg
    Wyrd_MondayPreview_2_12_2018.thumb.jpg.5301107ead12350992863289f861e65e.jpg

27973617_10208816101638286_3477235830236553582_n.thumb.jpg.a2ebf4f57425a6507df6cb32ac2bdb42.jpg

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    ok, getting a pile of gremlins in, any suggestions ?
    Ophelia metal crew (mostly painted)
    Wong (painted)
    Burt Jensen
    Lenny
    Gracie
    Merris LaCroix (unassembled in package)
    Limited Bayou Gremlin
    Giant Mosquito (metal) (in blister)
    Slop Haulers
    Bayou Gremlins
    Fate deck
    Few dice

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Fallen off the Malifaux wagon recently as Shadespire and Necromunda have taken over my local club.

I see the new errata gave me a discount on Dashel and Lawyers so that's nice. Guild Guard down the 3 stones as well so might fill a last hole in a list.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Fallen off the Malifaux wagon recently as Shadespire and Necromunda have taken over my local club.

I see the new errata gave me a discount on Dashel and Lawyers so that's nice. Guild Guard down the 3 stones as well so might fill a last hole in a list.

I'm not a Guild player, but I've been told by my groups Guild players that Guild Guard were in a weird spot at 4ss that they just weren't worth hiring, but at 3ss they're a bargain.
    Draeven wrote: »
    Wong (painted)
    Burt Jensen
    Lenny
    Gracie
    Limited Bayou Gremlin
    Slop Haulers
    Bayou Gremlins
    Fate deck
    Few dice

Weird spot with that - normally I'd suggest So'mer Teeth Jones as your first master, since he's the most versatile Gremlin master by far. But you're getting his whole box except him and one Skeeter. I'd suggest trying to get a hold of him and the extra Skeeter. Gadzooks Gaming sells them as singles - So'mer for $12 and Skeeters for $7.50.

You've got a solid set of stuff to start if you grab So'mer. You might want a pack of Piglets, since So'mer can summon them. I personally like Sammy Lacroix. She can turn enemy Scheme markers into stuffed piglets, for which you'll need to grab Creative Taxidermy, which is a pricey set with 6 Stuffed Piglets and 2 Taxidermists, so depending on your funds, I'm not sure I can fully recommend it. But definitely grab So'mer and an extra Skeeter.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

I'm not a Guild player, but I've been told by my groups Guild players that Guild Guard were in a weird spot at 4ss that they just weren't worth hiring, but at 3ss they're a bargain.
    Draeven wrote: »
    Wong (painted)
    Burt Jensen
    Lenny
    Gracie
    Limited Bayou Gremlin
    Slop Haulers
    Bayou Gremlins
    Fate deck
    Few dice

Weird spot with that - normally I'd suggest So'mer Teeth Jones as your first master, since he's the most versatile Gremlin master by far. But you're getting his whole box except him and one Skeeter. I'd suggest trying to get a hold of him and the extra Skeeter. Gadzooks Gaming sells them as singles - So'mer for $12 and Skeeters for $7.50.

You've got a solid set of stuff to start if you grab So'mer. You might want a pack of Piglets, since So'mer can summon them. I personally like Sammy Lacroix. She can turn enemy Scheme markers into stuffed piglets, for which you'll need to grab Creative Taxidermy, which is a pricey set with 6 Stuffed Piglets and 2 Taxidermists, so depending on your funds, I'm not sure I can fully recommend it. But definitely grab So'mer and an extra Skeeter.
    I was thoroughly surprised to find out somerteeth wasn't involved in this lot since he has a pile of Gremlins to be honest, and ill definitely look into buying him separately, though getting his box couldn't hurt as it has 3 more gremlins, though that would give me another lenny though.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    If you want to run the Gremlin factory, then yeah another box would be better than hunting down So'mer and grabbing another box of Bayou Gremlins.

• Options
    Easter sale!

New Limited Edition miniatures for this sale are the bunny Viktorias and Bob Ross Slop Hauler.

383108cf-56cf-486b-9733-e58e9a8c1c46.png
    ec7b60b2-c1d8-493a-b644-74505d5c7bc5.png

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Played some Malifaux for the first time in ages! The well worn Lucius versus Lillith match to get us back into the groove.

An excellent tight game I took 8-7 in the end. My riflemen got to do some serious blasting and one capitalised on a miraculous survival of a Barbaros charge by filling him full of lead and killing him on turn 2. Swings and roundabouts though. I pulled off the perfect 7 damage rifleman shot on Lillith and she bloody red jokered a damage prevention flip to nullify the entire thing!

Both Lucius and Lillith dead by half way through turn 4.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    More Malifaux! My Lucius vs Shen Long.

Still fuckin' hate Katanka Snipers! Thankfully he pushed him too far forward and I was able to recklessly throw a thrall at him and take him out pretty quickly, but if he'd held back and just dominated his firing lines with all his free focus I don't know what I would have done.

Fun flips. I red joker damage flipped a Witchling Thrall punching Shen Long for 9 damage! With hard to kill and healing from Sensei Wu it still took three more turns to down him but he was stuck on the defensive from that point unable to push for his schemes. I also had an Austringer survive the Lone Swordsman due to a black joker damage flip.

We had both picked assassination, much as mine was difficult due to healing and hard to kill, his was just impossible. Lucius with a nearby hidden Terracotta Warrior can just recycle the same soul stone for damage prevention over and over as long as you have cards in hand.

Next week we have a new guy joining our little scene who has just picked up Misaki. I'm very glad to be Malifauxing again. The best game.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Last time I faced a Katanaka Sniper my opponent thought he’d be funny and place them on a 10” tall tower in the middle of the board.

Lilith had transfixing gaze.

Splat.

• Options
    I did that the first time I played with Snipers....

Then I came back with Shenlong and Snipers, and put them in better positions, and felt like a terrible person :biggrin:

• Options
    Sadly Misaki guy has also picked up Snipers.

Bloody things.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    My intro game for the Misaki player turned into a bit of an unintentional drubbing.

I'd deliberately picked a defensive rather than offensive crew (Guardian, Lawyer etc) but was flipping red hot and kept killing his guys!

In the end I think I managed to subtly throw one of my schemes and allow his in order to make it a closer game for fear of putting him off the game entirely. Seemed to go well though, he's keen for more.

He was nearly entirely ignoring upgrades which wouldn't have helped. I pointed out Recalled Training to him after the game and his eyes lit up as they should!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Misaki is a difficult start. Her Torakage aren't great, and Misaki herself is a complete glass cannon. Once you understand triggers and card management she can cause some massive damage, but the learning curve is pretty high. I'd recommend they get the master upgrade deck though - her two upgrades in that are fantastic. He could also really use the Emissary, it really helps her.

• Options
    Wow, some crickets around here lately.

Anyway, Wyrd have showed off the Nightmare crew for this year - Nightmare Ulix, My Little Pony farmer. Took a while but I've wamred up to it - mostly because Ulix is one of two Gremlin masters I don't have and his normal box is boooooooring. I hope they support it with a couple of other releases at Black Friday, like a box of Piglets and a Sow or War Pig. I'd rather a Sow, since the Easter War Wabbit would fit right in.
    Wyrd_MondayPreview_7.9_2018.jpg.561ab524175e9879a8af7a72dda5a9cb.jpg

• Options
    It's been fairly quiet on the Malifaux front form Wyrd as well. I really hope ToS doesn't end up being a millstone around their neck that does them damage. They seem to have thrown vast weight of resources behind it but I can't really find much in the way of customer anticipation.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    There’s huge anticipation in my area. But like any game it’s going to be anecdotal based on your local area.

I don’t see how Wyrd has been quiet on Malifaux though? They’re still pushing out Chronicles every 2 months, we’re still getting releases every month, we got a sixth book last year. They’ve announced, shown and even done early sales of their entirely HIPS modular board. We’ve even gotten more Limited Edition stuff than usual, with the Christmas Rasputina crew last Black Friday.

We haven’t had a global event this year, but that’s because they were doing one for Through the Breach.

The only disappointment has been some new releases getting pushed back, most notably the two new story encounters. But Wyrd has a new release move months due to various reasons occasionally - downside to getting your casting done by a third party in China.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    So third edition is coming and they've decided to kill off a chunk of masters.

That seems like a bold move.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Free rules and cards once it goes live though

• Options
    I don’t know what their plan is but I can’t imagine it’s just excising some of their biggest names from the game.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    ohboy, maybe Bag o Tools for Seamus won't be a shitshow this time around

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Regarding the missing masters, it’s mostly fluff driven. It’s a very fluff driven game, after all.

Ramos is in prison on Earth. Lilith is down the pit Titania was in. Nicodem is dead. No idea what’s going on with Collodi - last I remember from his Vignette in book... 4? He was going off in search of his makers workshop.

I’m optimistic. The rules need a refresh and some streamlining, and the rules on the cards have been getting more and more complicated. Trimming it back down and tightening up the rules will be good.

Regarding the 4 master that are gone entirely - Mason confirmed they’re going what they’re calling the Dead Mans Hand. All 4 will get Malifaux 3E cards - they just will have their tournament viability determined by the TO.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Some interesting stuff coming out of gencon. Some pretty big mechanics changes - it appears everything costs 1 Ap now except bonus actions. The cards they had at Gencon have no numbers near actions to denote AP cost. Charge is shown on the Quick Reference they had at Gencon to be your Mv stat and a single attack - and again, no number for AP cost. There's still zero actions, confirmed on the Wyrd forum, but they're now called bonus actions and represented by a lightning bolt on the card.

Mason also confirmed how thematic hiring works. If a model, regardless of faction, shares your masters keyword, you can hire them. If they're in faction and don't share your masters keyword, you pay +1ss. Mercenaries are gone, because they were too randomly used. You either had models that were used all the time over and above in faction choices (like Johan, Burt Jebsen and Trappers) or never (like the Hogwhisperer). So the mechanic is just gone.

You can also hire multiple masters. They will have a cost like any other model, so taking a second master is just like hiring any other model with the same out of keyword cost penalty. I'm guessing they're going to be appropriately expensive. You get your main master and their totem for free now, and there's no master cache anymore. You just get whatever ss you didn't spend on your crew as your cache.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Charge is also now a push which could lead to some interesting interactions.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Hmmm this might tempt me back as I never sold my models...

Once more solid info drops I'll update the OP

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Someone at my workplace is trying to sell me on this. He spotted me trying to play these mysterious things people play in the East Coast called Eurogames in mini-heavy territory (Texas).

I must say, the gameplay mechanics look aces, but I'm trying to find a polite way to tell him I'm too old for plastic minis and terrain and measuring tape (when he's older than me.)

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    You could always try Puppetwars Unstitched. It’s a boardgame but has similar mechanics and is set in the same universe.

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Someone at my workplace is trying to sell me on this. He spotted me trying to play these mysterious things people play in the East Coast called Eurogames in mini-heavy territory (Texas).

I must say, the gameplay mechanics look aces, but I'm trying to find a polite way to tell him I'm too old for plastic minis and terrain and measuring tape (when he's older than me.)

Well, third edition is currently in closed beta, it will be open soon enough and while I can't say much, I can say it is MUCH more stream-lined and easy to pick up rather than 2ed when I started.

The game also has a VERY low price point for entry. You can get a crew for about 40 bucks and that's only going to be around 6 to 8 models.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    So my interest in Malifaux dropped off sharply for various reasons, but the 3rd edition rules have just been made public. Anyone planning on giving the new version a spin?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I'm sad to lose Lilith, but the new Nephilim crew looks so much better. All the old Black Blood damage is there, but now they've got a lot of direly needed heals. Of course, they do those heals in odd ways but ways that fit the crew, like Hayreddin turning Black Blood damage pulses into heals, like gaining wounds for killing near Nekima. Speaking of Nekima, holy crap. Not only is she a wrecking ball like usual, but she can throw corpse markers with a trigger to heal a friendly model near the target. Also all Winged Nephilim can transport smaller sized models as their bonus action, making the crew massively mobile. And can drop them for a Black Blood bomb.

Also the Grow system changed from Tot>Young>Mature into Tot>Young/Lelu/Lilitu/Shaman>Mature, which is so much better. Actual choices to be made.

I was planning on maining Dreamer this edition, just for something new, but I think I'll be maining Nekima and the Nephilim. Also the cards have both the old and new Nephilim, so you can mix the old models in which are kinda needed with the higher Rare limits on everything.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Very keen to dive back in!

Though as a Guild Lucius (and thus now Dashel) player there seem to be some ominous character card holes that presumably are related to future release, that being more than two guys to work with Lucius' Elite keyword and Dashel is presumably getting a totem of some kind.

MhCw7nZ.gif