As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Well, bain sidhe are banshees, so they yell at you and you die. Leanan sidhe are like succubi, except if you accept any bargain from one, you're bound to it until it drains all your lifeforce. And they look human!

Something I learned about from a stream the other day are the Icelandic yule lads, and Gryla. Holy shit some of these are incredible.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Leanan Sidhe is a muse. She inspires her mortal lovers to create music or poetry of surpassing beauty, but she also drains them of life and sanity.

I thought the deal with banshees was that if you hear one, it means you're going to die; but you don't die because you heard it. The wailing is a sound of mourning.

Then again, I'm sure there's more than one version!

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Yeah banshees announce someone's death they don't kill people directly. They're adapted from earlier folklore that I'm too busy and foggy-headed his morning to elaborate on.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    The historic documentary Darby O'Gill and the Little People has some pertinent info

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I'd probably deal with a Leanan sídhe

I don't have any particular attachment to this life, and making some art to be remembered by is a good trade

edit: I think they like, have to be your slave if they approach you and you turn them down, though? But I wouldn't want to enslave something, even if it cost me my vitality

Depressperado on
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    IDK man, bain sidhe and leanan sidhe are fucking terrifying, and god help you if you can't find cold iron and have to deal with one.

Unless you're playing D&D cold iron is just iron. Not terribly hard to find.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    The historic documentary Darby O'Gill and the Little People has some pertinent info

!!

The banshee in that scared the shit out of me when I was like four years old, and I'd never been able to figure out what movie it was from because all I had to go on was "scary blue ghost in a movie about leprechauns, I think?" Doesn't help that I probably slept through at least part of the movie.

So thanks! (I think.)

...Google image search confirms that the banshee really is as creepy as I remember, good grief.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Darby O'Gill is annual St Patty's day watching for me.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My grandparents had Darby O'Gill on tape and I had, like, a fascination with that movie for a couple months as a very young child, and I would be hard pressed to recall any specific details from that movie. I know Sean Connery is in it.

That's actually why I watched it the first time! I was like... A little kid, first grade maybe? I was looking for a movie to watch and my grandma was like "well saint Paddy's is coming up, you should watch Darby O'Gill! Sean Connery is in that one!" And I was like "DRAGONHEART IS IN THIS HECK YEAH"

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular

It's spelled Paddy, Patty is a girl's name.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

Patty can be anyone's name really

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Pad Dedede

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

Patty is unisex as it can be derived from Patrick of Patricia. One use has fallen out of favor is all

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Patty comes from Patrick, Paddy comes from Padraic.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Paddy comes from Pub

Patty comes from Cakes.

I'm sad so I'm watching Wishmaster. This movie rules. It's so terrible, in the most earnest and enthusiastic way, like a really stupid puppy

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The best part of Wishmaster is the intro where a skeleton escapes its fleshy prison and starts beating people up

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I

I never heard of this weird film. Connery was in some strange stuff back in the day.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

Unless they're here to pick up some BBQ from Joe's, I have no explanation for floating objects choosing to go to Kansas City either.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So in 1984, the CIA was researching a man named Joe McMoneagle who claimed to be able to do something called "remote viewing", wherein he could see something from another person's eyes anywhere in the world. That's weird enough by itself, but at one point someone gave him a location on Mars, 1 million BC. Joe wasn't told that he was being asked to look at Mars, he was only given the coordinates.

The transcript of what he saw is pretty great:
    https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP96-00788R001900760001-9.pdf

You can also listen to Joe McMoneagle discuss the experience here, and he includes pictures on Mars of where the coordinates were:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlLq7KDU2HY

And a Slate article if you just want a brief rundown:

https://slate.com/technology/2017/03/did-the-cia-really-astrally-project-to-mars-in-1984.html

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    The CIA had a deeeeep interest in remote viewing, ESP, psychic ability etc for many decades. The Russian government had secret projects to the same effect apparently, but I've seen it posited recently that each country's specific programs to investigate these phenomena were actually psyops meant to distract the enemy from actual productive research. Just two dogs chasing their own tails.

UNLESS THAT'S JUST WHAT THEY WANT US TO THINK

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Men Who Stare At Goats was pretty okay

04xkcuvaav19.png
    The Nazis actually famously had an occult science division as well! Granted, Nazi Germany was being run by a meth-addled maniac at the time, but it is interesting that all these major world governmental bodies keep devoting resources to the investigation of the paranormal.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The CIA had a deeeeep interest in remote viewing, ESP, psychic ability etc for many decades. The Russian government had secret projects to the same effect apparently, but I've seen it posited recently that each country's specific programs to investigate these phenomena were actually psyops meant to distract the enemy from actual productive research. Just two dogs chasing their own tails.

I would think any psyops would be around lying about more success than was actually achieved to trick the other side into researching deeper than their own initial tests might otherwise warrant. Otherwise, they're perfectly valid avenues of research. You're still doing science even if the conclusion is no it doesn't work. Such abilities would be an obvious significant benefit to any military or spy agency as a motivation to initially undertake such research. And preexisting stories and rumors about such abilities would be enough for them to at least do their due diligence by looking into it. I suspect the amount of time they looked at it was more about the brain being generally poorly understood leading to long experiment times and sending them off on frequent, weird, time-wasting tangents.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

I would think any psyops would be around lying about more success than was actually achieved to trick the other side into researching deeper than their own initial tests might otherwise warrant. Otherwise, they're perfectly valid avenues of research. You're still doing science even if the conclusion is no it doesn't work. Such abilities would be an obvious significant benefit to any military or spy agency as a motivation to initially undertake such research. And preexisting stories and rumors about such abilities would be enough for them to at least do their due diligence by looking into it. I suspect the amount of time they looked at it was more about the brain being generally poorly understood leading to long experiment times and sending them off on frequent, weird, time-wasting tangents.

When my dad was in college, he and a friend were hanging out one day and got to talking about ESP. His friend suggested they try it out, just for the hell of it. So they sat down back to back, and she told him to think about a person she would have no way of knowing.

When my dad was about 9, long before he met this friend, he was hospitalized with appendicitis. His roommate in the hospital was a little girl whose mother would come to visit, and what my dad remembered about the girl's mother was that she had big feet. So he focused on that.

After a few minutes of silence, his friend said, "I don't know who she is, but she has big feet."

I think mind-to-mind communication is real. I don't think it's common or predictable, but I believe it does happen.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I've always believed that what is commonly thought of as 'sixth sense' or ESP is the subconscious mind sussing out random bits of data from your five senses and giving you a conclusion well before your rational mind has time to figure shit out; for example, I can tell when one of my roommates is or isn't in the house simply because I get a sensation of the air pressure feeling less or more 'vacant' in my immediate vicinity, I can do that within seconds of waking up before I even roll out of bed.

Having said that, there was one instance in particular that honestly felt pretty close to precognition: I was helping a future roommate move out of his apartment and a vehicle turned into the complex from the access road of I-75 southbound in Dallas. Now, the vehicle turning in was at least 200 feet away, but I told my buddy to move out of the way because I felt something *off* about the whole situation; sure enough, another vehicle, a big Ford F350, came tearing ass down the access road and slammed into the first one whereupon it skidded into it's turn, lost traction and spun out into the middle of the parking lot ... right where my friend had been standing.

There were two more near fatal car accidents that day where my spidey-sense would just tingle and I kept all of us out of them because I'm apparently a witch.

So, do I believe in the power of the human mind? Absolutely, no doubt, there's too much raw data that we have on the different categories of human brainwaves alone to utterly dismiss it. Same way with dark matter/energy/forces in astrophysics, we can measure that something is happening, we just don't know what the fuck it is.

Well, humans do have a lot of like tertiary senses beyond the traditional five, our sense of spacial orientation for example. I really believe intuition is an actual thing, whether it's quantifiable or not

I'm with DW on our brains processing a ton more information than we're consciously aware of, and that that accounts for most of the things we call ESP. But then you get things that aren't adequately explained by that, or by sheer coincidence/confirmation bias/fraud.

I dunno!

I've had Spider-sense a few times and ignored it each time, and each time I should have listened. I also have definitely, I think, maybe, had premonition dreams.

and I think I get Déjà vu more often than most people, but that might just be my broken brain. Or I am extra sensitive to changes in the Matrix.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    One time I intaked too many psilocybin mushrooms and was trapped in a very broad deja vu for an extended period

I didn't like it don't recommend

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    One time I intaked too many psilocybin mushrooms and was trapped in a very broad deja vu for an extended period

I didn't like it don't recommend

Damn you played an Ubisoft game?

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I watched the Flatliners remake. Spooky.

I was driving home last night and since it's so humid, it gets foggy as hell at night

and I'm pretty sure I saw a deer standing on its hind legs, and then I was like "oh thank god the part with streetlights" and they all flickered in a row, as I was driving under them.

it was Lynchian. Like, Twin Peaks: The Return style. I was worried I'd drive through reality and crash into the Black Lodge

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Inside Japan's Creepiest Station
    https://youtu.be/XkHMxxuf89M
    Duration: 11:51

Aside: Peas I really appreciate your brief description and duration notice on youtube videos. It rocks and I'm adopting that style.

As to the video itself-- I think my spooky meter is broken because that place didn't seem that spooky to me? The stairs were kinda neat, but that's about it. Otherwise it's a fairly brightly lit place with evidence of regular use by tourists (such as the guest books with drawings of cute bunnies and stuff).

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7AUEklIdtA

i've been enjoying this soundcloud rapper's absolutely terrible videos

this one is 11 videos that skeptics can't explain

are you a skeptic? can't explain these.

liEt3nH.png
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    recommend SirSpooky and Nuke's Top 5

for more can't explanations

also without terrible narration

Xehalus on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    i've been enjoying this soundcloud rapper's absolutely terrible videos

this one is 11 videos that skeptics can't explain

are you a skeptic? can't explain these.

his voiceover is just so bad