As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I think we’ve covered Gerudo. Okay, someone sell me on BotW’s Rito, because I honestly feel they’re a bit undercooked compared to the other races.

I’d say the Zora get the best treatment (characters, quests, location design), then the Gerudo, then way, way down are the Gorons, then the Rito.

I’d like to see them return in the future and given a bit more stuff.

This is korok erasure.

I'd agree that Rito could have used a bit more- maybe a nod to WW and give them a mail delivery service? A stronger sense of identity and purpose beyond "we are birds that hang out in tree houses" would be nice. Or maybe, because Kass is there, and they're birds, it would be cool to have more prevalence of songbirds. There's a lot of potential directions that the Rito could go in, and it's a tough comparison because the Goron and Zora have had so much more time to develop and become characterized, whereas this is the second game with Rito.

I for one was really upset that they gave the lady birds pinks and purples and the men were all greys and browns- it should be the other way around! I want to see an ostentatious mating display Rito trying desperately to get the attention of a very bored female.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    I want to see an ostentatious mating display Rito trying desperately to get the attention of a very bored female.
    Why would you call me out like this

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    if you want to learn more about Rito culture just watch Top Gun

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    I think we’ve covered Gerudo. Okay, someone sell me on BotW’s Rito, because I honestly feel they’re a bit undercooked compared to the other races.

I’d say the Zora get the best treatment (characters, quests, location design), then the Gerudo, then way, way down are the Gorons, then the Rito.

I’d like to see them return in the future and given a bit more stuff.

This is korok erasure.

I'd agree that Rito could have used a bit more- maybe a nod to WW and give them a mail delivery service? A stronger sense of identity and purpose beyond "we are birds that hang out in tree houses" would be nice. Or maybe, because Kass is there, and they're birds, it would be cool to have more prevalence of songbirds. There's a lot of potential directions that the Rito could go in, and it's a tough comparison because the Goron and Zora have had so much more time to develop and become characterized, whereas this is the second game with Rito.

I for one was really upset that they gave the lady birds pinks and purples and the men were all greys and browns- it should be the other way around! I want to see an ostentatious mating display Rito trying desperately to get the attention of a very bored female.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That would have been an interesting set of quests, to help him out. Feels like something out of Majora's Mask.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Really though, the Rito deserved better for having one of the best anthro bird designs I've ever seen. Kass barely had to do anything and became one of my favorite NPCs ever, and the rest managed to not do a single thing of interest.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Aw jeeze! It’s so obvious, there’s only Hylians wandering the overworld! The other races stay in their towns. I’ve only just realised.

It’d be nice in the sequel if you could find a Rito explorer up a mountain or a couple Zora merchants on a beach at the opposite side of the map. Perhaps gate it behind doing the plot thing for them, so you don’t ruin the surprise by seeing them too early.

There needs to be a Gerudo on a horse at a stable!

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Aw jeeze! It’s so obvious, there’s only Hylians wandering the overworld! The other races stay in their towns. I’ve only just realised.

It’d be nice in the sequel if you could find a Rito explorer up a mountain or a couple Zora merchants on a beach at the opposite side of the map. Perhaps gate it behind doing the plot thing for them, so you don’t ruin the surprise by seeing them too early.

There needs to be a Gerudo on a horse at a stable!

Hopefully we'll see a lot more diversity around the world and rebuilding villages in the second game.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Gerudo town has a Rito and a Goron in it. And Zora's Domain has a Goron too.

There's a Gerudo walking around Goron City, and I think another Gerudo traveler up in the far Northeast region? There's a few wanderers of each race.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    There are a few Gerudo out and about in the world actually. It would be nice to see more of every race in the world but it makes sense that after a huge world ending event they'd be a little...skittish outside of their communities.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    There's all races wandering about!

except Zora I think

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

except Zora I think

Yup, no vagrant Zora anywhere, not that you’d expect to see them on the road per se but you don’t even get one randomly popping up to throw your bomb back when you go fishing…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Then I am just forgetful.

One thing I do hope they keep is the light ambient music of BotW, but if they’ve got something like shrines, perhaps create a few tracks for each type.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I hope they're a little heavier with the music. The game had a nice soundtrack, not that you ever heard it. Like 2 piano notes every 5 minutes.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I shouldn't have been, but I was expecting the birb robot to break that flimsy-ass rock it landed on, shattering the entire pillar and destroying the village as it all crashed down to the floor of the canyon below.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

except Zora I think

Yup, no vagrant Zora anywhere, not that you’d expect to see them on the road per se but you don’t even get one randomly popping up to throw your bomb back when you go fishing…

There is a couple on the river swamp on the way there and another in the lake in the South.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I mean BOTW Zora can't even seem to ocean. It would have been nice to see one or two in Lake Hylia (and this is fresh water too) or around Eventide. But nope these guys don't do 'salt' water ... eww.

I don't really expect too much to change since it seems like the sequel takes place very shortly after the end of the game. I'm honestly not expecting more than three months to have passed. I am hoping that the majority of the overworld NPCs are now travelling more and that they are cognizant of the fact that the malice has mostly disappeared. Also, as the queen Zelda had better have visited all of the villages to let them know that the world is safer now. Maybe the majority of the overworld enemies have retreated underground. Time will tell.

dipuc4life on
    NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
    It’d be neat if it’s addressed that the Hylians simply can’t accommodate a ruling monarch at this time. Where would Zelda rule from? Is she going to start taxing the incredibly separate villages? For what, she can’t offer them anything in return.

It’d make more sense if everyone thinks she looks a lot like that Princess from the story, just like no one but the Zora know who Link is.

But the more I think about the implications of Link and Zelda existing at all after a game’s completion the more I think the sequel is going to warp us to the dark world after exploring beneath Hyrule Castle.

dipuc4life wrote: »
    I mean BOTW Zora can't even seem to ocean. It would have been nice to see one or two in Lake Hylia (and this is fresh water too) or around Eventide. But nope these guys don't do 'salt' water ... eww.

I don't really expect too much to change since it seems like the sequel takes place very shortly after the end of the game. I'm honestly not expecting more than three months to have passed. I am hoping that the majority of the overworld NPCs are now travelling more and that they are cognizant of the fact that the malice has mostly disappeared. Also, as the queen Zelda had better have visited all of the villages to let them know that the world is safer now. Maybe the majority of the overworld enemies have retreated underground. Time will tell.

There was the one in Lake Hylia you find for a quest. And that quest paints why you don't find them more--they know the world is a dangerous place and like to keep to their own secure kingdom. It's definitely the most insular of the societies in BotW.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    There's rito. Saltwater zora coexisting would conflict with lore. Although design-wise BotW zora look like kind of a mix between oldschool "river" zoras and the ones in OoT with their head fins, so they could be evolving and will have spread out in later games.

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure there's a zora in the ocean to the east of Zora's Domain, but I might be getting it confused with Kass.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    There is one who leads you to one of the DLC shrines, over by the relatively barren and disappointing islands to the east of Zora’s Domain. But she’s on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I’m really struggling with Cadence, not in terms of the rhythm action but just in terms of what the hell I’m supposed to be doing. I’m not getting the structure of it and there are all kinds of level features I’ve no idea what do with. Have I managed to skip some kind of manual or tutorial?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Can you give an example? Other than the intro area as Cadence and the first one/two screens as each character, I think you're largely left to figure stuff out as you go.
    It's totally possible to finish the game without finding all the major inventory items, too.
    Apparently there's a way to navigate the Lost Woods? I just brute-forced it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Like in what I think was a dungeon, there seemed to be some kind of evil looking smiley faces on the floor that did nothing in particular when you stand on them? A quick google only found other people wondering what they do so they might actually do nothing.

That and chests in the overworld which I probably need items to get but can't see how yet. Is there way to climb on one of the pushable rocks without wedging against a wall?

I think I'm just having an old man grump because it's all so alien yet also so familiar at the same time!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Something that helps to know is that on the map, purple chests represent permanent upgrades.

Like for your rock problem, generally I think it's possible to do what the screen wants you to do, but if you're having trouble there is a power glove upgrade that lets you pick up rocks.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Dunno about the faces, but I'd guess nothing.
    In response to your actual question about blocks, no. There are other ways around them, though.
    Float boots can get you around a lot of the chest puzzles.
    And later on you can pick up blocks and boulders, so you may be able to move them in ways you couldn't before.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I do not know what the floor face-button-things do either, but they apparently aren't necessary because I've completed the game without figuring that out. I think that's the only real mystery to me, though.

Some overworld chests need items, yes. Most seem to have multiple solutions. I don't think you can climb on pushable blocks unless they are against a wall, no. But you will find ways to manipulate them with items, and other familiar traversal tools from past Zelda arsenals:
    Hookshot to get across gaps.
    Cane of Somaria to create blocks.
    Flippers to traverse deep water.
    Goron charm to survive heat hazards.
    ...many more...

If anything, there are probably too many tools at your disposal, and you'll unlock them quickly enough that you never really use some of them. I have barely used the trusty boomerang, for example.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Some other stuff it helps to know:

-Grey blocks can be picked up and thrown. The green blocks can't, but are instead pulled.
    -You can freeze water.
    -Button traps (like the ones that just push you back) can be destroyed with bombs.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    How so? I always thought Link was supposed to be a male who also has a very feminine figure.

IIRC every time you go back to the place you have to wear the outfit which I HATE. I also wish you could have upgraded it (again, haven't played it since release so I could be misremembering).
    A bunch of the narrative around getting the vai outfit, putting it on, and sneaking into the town is basically "Isn't it CRAZY that a guy would dress up like a girl? How weird is that?! So weird!"

They keep talking about how there's one guy who figured out how to sneak into the town, and then Link tracks him down to learn the "secret". The guy is wearing the vai outfit, which includes the veil, so you can't see his face. If I recall correctly, at one point the camera is positioned behind him, the wind blows and you can see the veil be blown aside, and then Link sees the guy's face. Link gets a shocked look on his face and then ruefully shakes his head, like "This fucking guy".

So basically a man wearing a woman's clothing is presented as strange and shameful. It's pretty frustrating.

I just had to mention that, when they played this quest on Game Grumps, Dan reacted to it, seemingly unironically, with "wow, how progressive!"

Okay, I think maybe my issue was a duff world seed. Restarted and swiftly picked up much more purple chests and found many more useful map spots. That and before I was getting caught up with the beat and not realising that staying still is often the best thing to do!

Now two instruments in and pretty much loving it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Goron

Stealth

Sequence

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    So I finally went back and started a master mode playthrough. It’s a very different game!

Also, the Sword Trials are now HEAVILY weighted on the front end

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    So, my 5 year old daughter is playing this now. (read: Daddy is playing it while daughter directs him, only occasionally taking the controls, only to give them back when something "scary" happens).

I'm basically living the gamer daddy dream right now.

I'm gonna go on a bit here, so I'll spoiler my experience in two parts

Part one, Background and Lead up:
    Mini-Dead had already expressed a minor interest in gaming via osmosis. She was somewhat interested in Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8, and had passively watched me play Monster Hunter World, but never enough to actually get directly involved.

I had originally bought Let's Go Pickachu for Mini-Dead as she had develloped an interest in Pokemon via YouTube and Netflix, which she played a bit, but would get bored with, especially in the parts featuring a lot of trainer battles in a row.

The lynchpin happened when we got to the part in Pokemon when we encounter the sleeping Snorlax. As many of you will know, the only way to get past the sleeping Snorlax is to first obtain the flute from Mr. Fuji inside the Pokemon Tower. Mini-dead, however, thought the pokemon tower was scary, and didn't want to go back, so she desperatly tried a bunch of different ways to get past the sleeping Snorlax.

These included:

1 - Ramming into him (running down to the other end of Saffron(?) City on her Arcanine and then running back towards Snorlax at full speed - nope
    2 - Squeezing Past him - nope
    3 - Climbing Him - nope
    3(b) - Climbing the fences around him - nope

Nothing works! Frustrated, Mini-Dead asked me why the game wouldn't let her do these these things, which were (rightly) seemed to be perfectly reasonable solutions to her mind.

My answer to her was "Well, some games only give you one way to solve certain puzzles"
    Her response to this: "Oh, well are there games that do let you solve puzzles in different ways?"
    Me: *Lightbulb* "Why yes my dear, yes there are!"
    So off I go to re-download BotW that I had deleted to make space some time ago

Part two, experience:
    As I mentionned in my intro, our sessions basically involve me playing while Mini-Dead directs my movements and action while sitting on my lap in my La-Z-Boy. Once in a while, she'll ask for the Joycons to try something herself, but it doesn't take long before a monster or challenging platforming section comes up, at which point she'll hand them back off to me.

Little by little, however, she's learning the controls and mechanics, and asks to take the controls more and more often.

Basically, all I do is act like Alfredo in Ratatouille while Mini-Dead tells me what to do. I may offer suggestions or point out points of interest on occasion, but that's about it.

A few cute observations:

At first, monsters of Bokoblin strength and above were frightening, and were to be avoided at all costs.
    Chuchus, Keese and skeletons were basically unavoidable at night, but daddy showed here that these things were pretty easy to take down, and were a source of useful resources. That said, Mini-dead soon caught on that Keese and skeletons only appear at night, and once she learned about resting at campfires, and how to build campfires, it became a hard rule that when night falls, we find (or build) a campfire and we wait until morning.

Eventually, I tried to instill in her that, if Link is to become the hero that will save Zelda, we're going to have to learn to be brave. If we can't beat up Bokoblins, then how will we ever become strong enough to beat Ganon?

This actually led to a brief sabbatical of the game, which I thought might actually be the end of our sessions! Then, this conversation happened:

Mini-Dead: "Daddy, Ganon is too scary, we can't beat him"
    Me: "Oh I see. Do you think that maybe if we train Link and get him to become stronger we'll be able to do it"
    MD: "No, he's too strong"
    Me: "Ok sweetheart, I guess Zelda will just have to stay trapped in the castle forever then"
    MD: "No, someone will save her!"
    Me: "But no one's been able to save her for 100 years! The whole reason she put Link to sleep in that bathtub is because she was hoping he would wake up and become the hero she needs to save her! But if you say Ganon's too strong, then I guess there's nothing we can do."
    MD: "But I don't know how!"
    Me: "Remember what the King said, at the Temple? He said there might be someone called Impa who can help us? Maybe we can go see her?"
    MD: "Ok daddy, let's play!"

As of this writing, we have saved the Zora, which required killing a part of Ganon inside of a giant robot elephant and taking control of said elephant, who is now shooting a big laser at Ganon. Also, after we went looking for Hestu in the Korok Forest (because we had collected a whole bunch of Korok Seeds, you see), we made our way through the VERY SCARY Lost Woods, we found the (DUN DUN DUUUN!) MASTER SWORD!

Now that Mini-Dead knows that Link has friends that will help him, and that we know where the Master Sword is, she has become super-determined to FIND ALL THE SHRINES so that Link can get strong enough to pull the sword out of the ground!

Once we get that Master Sword, Ganon better WATCH OUT!

Takeaway:

The game has been a HUGE boon to my and Mini-Dead's relationship. Questions and converstations that have come up naturally over the course of our play sessions included:

- What is a Goddess?
    - Lesson: small conversation on religion, mythology, and faith

- If we put the ball on that end of the platform, the other end will go up
    - Lesson: Physics 101, including Newton's second law

- That monster is too scary! to Ok daddy, we can beat up that monster!
    - Lesson: Bravery and learning to control the fear response

- Me: "Ok sweetie, that man said to go North, which way is that?"
    - Lesson: Basic navigation and learning the cardinal directions

- Her: "Daddy, what's a quest?"
    - Me: "It's what we call helping people in games like this"
    - Lesson: Value of hard work and helping people, including the concept of compensation for good work

And so on and so on

Anyways, just wanted to end by saying that this experience so far has been amazing, and yet another example, in my life, of the rewarding and enriching experience that only Video Games can offer.

Thank you again, Nintendo.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    D'awwwwwwwww <3

Almost makes me want to have kids. Almost.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    D'awwwwwwwww <3

Almost makes me want to have kids. Almost.

My daughter turned a year old last week and I am waiting to see if she expresses interest beyond "ooh, shiny thing I'm not supposed to touch," which is her current level.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Kids can be alright sometimes...

u8zbp4507rwd.jpeg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Wow he got big!

steam_sig.png
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Wow he got big!

Psh, that was months ago. Look at him now.
    3qsncfpmhthr.jpeg

Steam ID
    Twitch Page

Holy shit, am I the only one who didn't know this was a thing.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.