As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Latin America Thread: Because North American politics are too dang tame.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    The Vice President of the National Assembly has been arrested on charges of treason.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    For those wondering, Venezuela is still on the status quo. Pompeo was on an "off the record" meeting (in other words, this is a WaPo article) and point blank lays out the fact that it doesn't matter if most of the country opposes Maduro when the opposition is fucking worthless:
    “Our conundrum, which is to keep the opposition united, has proven devilishly difficult,” Pompeo said in an audio recording obtained by The Washington Post. “The moment Maduro leaves, everybody’s going to raise their hands and [say], ‘Take me, I’m the next president of Venezuela.’ It would be forty-plus people who believe they’re the rightful heir to Maduro.”
    That includes most characters on both opposition and chavism, BTW.
    “You should know, [Maduro] is mostly surrounded by Cubans,” Pompeo said. “He doesn’t trust Venezuelans a lick. I don’t blame him. He shouldn’t. They were all plotting against him. Sadly, they were all plotting for themselves.”
    Heh.
    “The sad truth is that too many in the opposition are more interested in setting themselves up to be the Nelson Mandela figure than in finding a pragmatic path forward,” he said.
    Yep, a lot of me-me-me, including "defectors" (can't "defect" if your real side is your own side all along) like Ortega and Carvajal.
    “We’ve been working, and it took this long to get to where we are today, where you have a leader — tenuous as it may be — who could’ve been arrested while we’re sitting in this room, who has managed to cobble together the opposition,” he said.

Jesus fucking Christ.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Is there a reason we’re giving Mike Pompeo even a shred of credibility or authority on this matter, despite his title, given his utter incompetence?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Lanz wrote: »
    Is there a reason we’re giving Mike Pompeo even a shred of credibility or authority on this matter, despite his title, given his utter incompetence?

Because he has been in contact with the people in question, because personalism is a constant on Venezuelan politics, because it perfectly explains why there has been all these issues through the years.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    And all of what he said is true.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

Nothing he's stated about Maduro and Maduro's regime is unique. Authoritarian states have this problem so you tend to see different solutions. In Maduro's case it's relying on an outside party which has an interest Maduro remaining in power, even if only temporary. In many cases, like Syria, the DPRK, IIRC Tunisia had this problem as well, the leader places family members into positions of power. And usually that goes hand in hand with other methods like capturing, in the case of Syria IIRC literally with officer "ghettos", the coercive apparatus. Or they eliminate threats to power prematurely, for example Stalin, which can have the consequence of crippling the coercive apparatus. But Stalin wasn't psychic so he didn't know that absolutely devastating the Soviet officer corps would be crippling heading into WWII.

For dictators security threats just as often come from inside as outside the state.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    For those wondering, Venezuela is still on the status quo. Pompeo was on an "off the record" meeting (in other words, this is a WaPo article) and point blank lays out the fact that it doesn't matter if most of the country opposes Maduro when the opposition is fucking worthless:
    “Our conundrum, which is to keep the opposition united, has proven devilishly difficult,” Pompeo said in an audio recording obtained by The Washington Post. “The moment Maduro leaves, everybody’s going to raise their hands and [say], ‘Take me, I’m the next president of Venezuela.’ It would be forty-plus people who believe they’re the rightful heir to Maduro.”
    That includes most characters on both opposition and chavism, BTW.
    “You should know, [Maduro] is mostly surrounded by Cubans,” Pompeo said. “He doesn’t trust Venezuelans a lick. I don’t blame him. He shouldn’t. They were all plotting against him. Sadly, they were all plotting for themselves.”
    Heh.
    “The sad truth is that too many in the opposition are more interested in setting themselves up to be the Nelson Mandela figure than in finding a pragmatic path forward,” he said.
    Yep, a lot of me-me-me, including "defectors" (can't "defect" if your real side is your own side all along) like Ortega and Carvajal.
    “We’ve been working, and it took this long to get to where we are today, where you have a leader — tenuous as it may be — who could’ve been arrested while we’re sitting in this room, who has managed to cobble together the opposition,” he said.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Wow. Shocking. How could we have seen this coming.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

I personally dont belive a single word that comes out of his mouth that is not official AND can be fact checked. And the fact that nothing of what he says is really unique, as in, other dictators have the same type of issues, makes me belive it even less, like he is just making shit up.

But he aligns with what other posters want for Venezuela, so I guess they belive, or at least want to belive that its true.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

I personally dont belive a single word that comes out of his mouth that is not official AND can be fact checked. And the fact that nothing of what he says is really unique, as in, other dictators have the same type of issues, makes me belive it even less, like he is just making shit up.

But he aligns with what other posters want for Venezuela, so I guess they belive, or at least want to belive that its true.

What's so hard to believe? The opposition being a divided snake pit filled with worthless assholes is not surprising. Neither is chavism being the same, the big public defections like Ortega and Carvajal all have the theme of "everybody inside chavism was corrupt except me".*

So what's the big problem with it?

*Because Ortega totally didn't pushed for the Afiuni and López arrests when she was AG under Chavez, and Carvajal wasn't balls-deep on the drug trade. Sure.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    I dont trust Pompeo because he is a known liar, he lies on record, so of course I think he will lie off record. If he says the political landscape of Venezuela is a hellhole, I belive him, anything else a micron more specific than that, and I need something to back up his claims.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    leaked documents prove brazilian prosecutors worked with right-wing judge to imprison lula and throw the election to bolsonaro

this seems like a big deal? the brazilian election was basically stolen, the supreme court simply decided to imprison the most popular candidate

• Options
    leaked documents prove brazilian prosecutors worked with right-wing judge to imprison lula and throw the election to bolsonaro

this seems like a big deal? the brazilian election was basically stolen, the supreme court simply decided to imprison the most popular candidate

The timing of the sentence makes it obvious that it was a plot to get Lula off the presidential race, on one side its great that the chats and some audios in a cell phone app would seem to prove that it was indeed a plot. Are those the documents you are refering to, or is there some other source that I missed?
    On the other hand, some media here in Arg. are reporting/speculating that the phone tapping was done by north american intelligence agencies, (as a way to give the reporter´s source more credibility), but gloss over the implications of the US doing very illegal stuff in South America and meddling politically, wich is not so cool.(IF those are really the reporters sources)

Hopefully Lula goes free and he can strenghten his party so that they take Brazil back from that troglodite Bolsonaro, regretably I dont think that it will affect Bolsonaro´s term in any meaningful way.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    but gloss over the implications of the US doing very illegal stuff in South America and meddling politically, wich is not so cool.(IF those are really the reporters sources)

Somewhat, but the US is just about literally listening in to everyone at all times. If this source is working in an official capacity to leak these documents, yeah, that's bad. If the source is leaking these without permission, well, that's bad too but in a different way

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    50 million people in Argentina and Paraguay are hit by a blackout. Maybe also parts of some other countries.

https://m.dw.com/en/argentina-uruguay-suffer-massive-power-blackout/a-49225070

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    honovere wrote: »
    50 million people in Argentina and Paraguay are hit by a blackout. Maybe also parts of some other countries.

I don’t understand how entire countries can lose power.

I really need to know how it’s possible when they finish getting it back.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »

Easy: Centralized power generation and distribution. Since power stations are big, long investments, a lot of companies and countries do the short-sighted maneuver of just expanding their current ones.

• Options
    First I thought I had forgotten to pay the electric bill, then I had a serious case of deja vu.

• Options

Me neither, but I was without power for like 10 hours. The official explanation has been missing, we have been told it would take 15 days to do a, and release a report on the subject. Wich sounds like BS to me, somebody fucked up big and someone doesnt wants to throw them under the bus.
    And it was an eye opener, we had absolutely NO information on anything from our government, so in an emergency, we already know we are on our own :/

• Options

Me neither, but I was without power for like 10 hours. The official explanation has been missing, we have been told it would take 15 days to do a, and release a report on the subject. Wich sounds like BS to me, somebody fucked up big and someone doesnt wants to throw them under the bus.
    And it was an eye opener, we had absolutely NO information on anything from our government, so in an emergency, we already know we are on our own :/

Even with my gross simplification, an electric grid is a big, complex system, so is likely that they don't know either what caused the cascading failure, the chain reaction on the first place. Did found this small English source:
    Technical data from the “black boxes” of two companies responsible for electricity supply will be examined in depth, and the results of the investigation would be published in 15 days, Lopetegui said on Argentine radio.

“Thousands of pieces of data” from the two companies, Cammesa and Transener, would have to be analyzed, he said. The government still does not know what caused the problem, more than 24 hours after the outage.

“The two companies have to provide the report of what happened over the next 72 hours, with that information Cammesa will provide a report of what happened until 7:07 am, and in 15 days we will know what was the sequence of events that caused the blackout,” Lopetegui told Radio La Red.
    And remember what I said about centralized generation?
    Argentina and Uruguay have a partially shared power grid centered on the bi-national Salto Grande dam, 450 kilometers north of Buenos Aires

If I were a betting man, I would say that the problem was either on the dam itself, or, more likely, on the main power lines coming out of the dam.

• Options
    Man, that guaidó is a fucking idiot. He's launching a program to help people who have fled the country go back to it.

Why the fucking hell would we want to go back? Is this supposed to be a sick joke? He doesn't even have power... It's like the capriles situation all over again.

I wish the US would invade once and for all, I really don't think it can get any worse with anyone else in power. I have a family members who are suicidal and others can't even afford to eat more than once per day. This is fucking depressing.

• Options
    RockinX wrote: »
    Man, that guaidó is a fucking idiot. He's launching a program to help people who have fled the country go back to it.

Why the fucking hell would we want to go back? Is this supposed to be a sick joke? He doesn't even have power... It's like the capriles situation all over again.

I wish the US would invade once and for all, I really don't think it can get any worse with anyone else in power. I have a family members who are suicidal and others can't even afford to eat more than once per day. This is fucking depressing.

I agree that Guaido is a fucking idiot, he trusted the US under its current leadership would care at all for his plight, and he was left... like we say here, holding his di*k.

• Options
    edited June 2019

I agree that Guaido is a fucking idiot, he trusted the US under its current leadership would care at all for his plight, and he was left... like we say here, holding his di*k.

More important, he trusted the Venezuelan military that has proven over and over again that can't be trusted.

EDIT: Though the "military rupture" was pushed by a lot of the international community, including the US, because is better than the alternative. Now that is clear that the US and allies are all bluster, Venezuelan migrants get to be the Latin American gypsies, being denied entry from most countries. Joy.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/06/27/cocaine-bust-looming-typhoon-add-more-drama-already-tense-g-summit/?utm_term=.f425a8806979
    Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro promised an “immediate investigation and severe punishment for the person responsible” for attempting to bring nearly 40 kilograms of cocaine on one of his government’s planes headed to Osaka for the summit. There appears to be little precedent for such a drug bust on a government jet ahead of one of these summits.

Wooooow. That's alot of cocaine.

• Options

More important, he trusted the Venezuelan military that has proven over and over again that can't be trusted.

EDIT: Though the "military rupture" was pushed by a lot of the international community, including the US, because is better than the alternative. Now that is clear that the US and allies are all bluster, Venezuelan migrants get to be the Latin American gypsies, being denied entry from most countries. Joy.

I havent heard other countries threatening with military invasion, and at least where I live there was no talk of keeping Venezuelans away, unless something like that was kept out of the local news cycle, they should be as welcome as they have been so far. Is Brazil denying entry to Venezuelan migrants? Or wich countries?

• Options
    By "military rupture" I mean the idea that there was going to be an internal military fracture on the Venezuelan military, not speaking of other countries.

Which is not going to happen. And what I mean is harsher entry requirements imposed (more Visa requirements all around) after the failure of this assault.

On why is not going to happen, besides Cuban/Russian intelligence being all over all public institutions and jailing/torturing/killing dissidents, the rot started because the previous governments had very bright ideas:
    1. Venezuelan truancy officers point blank drafted minors to the military, with the so called "recluta". Chavez won the youth vote purely on saying that he would get rid of it. On 1999. Guess how loyal to the country the Army is.
    2. When reports of Chavez and the rest of his Army thugs were conspiring with guerrilla fighters like Douglas Bravo,* and had plenty of links to the Castro dictatorship, those reports were vastly ignored. Been told that an officer said "meh, they are young people". Queue 1992 coup attempt.
    3. Even after 1992, the upper class and the media fawned over Chavez because they saw a manipulatable tool in order to keep looting the country after Carlos Andres Perez tried and failed to do economic reforms. Yes, those reforms were "shock therapy", but it was about their own pockets.
    4. Finally, the upper class had to cut a deal to either support Chavez or leave. Which is why they and the bond holders of national oil company PDVSA finance the "opposition".

*Douglas Bravo, among many things, was the guy that came up with the idea of using referendums to rewrite the Constitution without going through the Legislative Branch.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Chile is going to shit. Massive protests and rioting. The army has been deployed as a state of emergency has been declared.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/20/chiles-president-reverses-fare-increase-as-unrest-continues

Aside: It appears that the Joker movie was really well timed, as you can see with the protester in the pic with the clown mask.

Edit: Pretty much all of the Left thinks that the Chilean protests are being under reported because Chile is the neoliberal poster boy, and I find it hard to disagree with that assessment.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Theyre attacking bank offices last I saw.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I think it is more likely to just be that China is much bigger and more able to throw its weight around internationally so it gets more attention. I am not sure if the Hong Kong protests would have gotten much attention if China did not try to get people fired and go on the offensive about it, and I honestly don't think it has gotten that much attention even then. The US media rarely covers foreign invents much unless the US is invading or Americans died.

With the complaints about healthcare problems, I assume Chile has not improved its system since this 2008 article?

https://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.0050079
    Chile shares with Brazil the dubious distinction of having one of the most regressive patterns of income distribution in Latin America, and the distribution of spending on health is no exception. The private sector accounts for a disproportionate share of total health expenditure (38% of the total health expenditure was spent on 21% of the population in 2004) [9]. This is a basic unfairness, and represents a lack of solidarity, since FONASA and ISAPRES have separate financing [15].
    Here the evidence is clearer. ISAPRES has hardly contained costs, and the ISAPRES companies never intended to do so: they have few incentives to be efficient buyers of health services for their clients. Instead, they work hard to be efficient in the selection of their clients (they are allowed to refuse clients). Their focus is on low-risk, high-income patients, with the goal of making a profit. They spend ten times as much on administration per member [9] and about two times as much on health care per member than FONASA (Figure 3), even though ISAPRES members are in better health and need less care [4]. To deliver care, ISAPRES companies rely on a burgeoning private sector, reimbursed on a fee-for-service basis, which induces an increased supply of unnecessary but profitable services.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Theyre attacking bank offices last I saw.

They seem to have raided nearly every Wal-Mart in the country:

https://www.businessinsurance.com/article/20191021/STORY/912331257/Walmart-closes-all-its-Chilean-stores-due-to-riots

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    English news sources are, as usual, incredibly thin in details.

There has been the suggestion that Maduro and big chavista kahuna Diosdado Cabello are putting the money and the training behind these and Ecuador's protests, given that is a protest for, among other things, a rise on the subway prices....that made sure that the subway won't be working for weeks, if not more.

I know, is only a theory and it sounds crazy and.....nope, they are saying it openly because of course they are:
    Diosdado: "What is happening in Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Argentina, Honduras is just a small wind, a Bolivarian hurricane is coming"
    Alberto News is a news service.

#NOW Maduro: "The plan is perfect, you understand me. All the goals that we have set for the Sao Paulo Forum have been accomplished, so we must continue. We are going much better than we thought"
    NTN 24 is a news channel.

(God I hate those assholes).

So Bolsonaro gets to tell everybody "I told you so":
    SP Forum is more alive than ever! Watch and draw your conclusions.
    Jair Bolsonaro is Brazil's President.

And Chilean President Piñera is taking it as well as expected:

NOW | Surrounded by soldiers, in the Santiago Garrison, Sebastián Piñera declares: "We are at war"

El Mostrador is a Chilean newspaper.

So yeah, this is getting uglier by the minute.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Note, on protests.

I'm a firm believer on the right to protest. But I will never support looting or vandalizing things like public transport or chain supermarkets, because, besides that is wrong, you know who uses public transport or chain supermarkets? Hint: Is not the rich.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Riots are a reasonably effective tool for fighting serious sustained injustice and a deaf ruling class. Theyre not good any more than a fever is, but ignoring the core wound is worse.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Riots are a reasonably effective tool for fighting serious sustained injustice and a deaf ruling class. Theyre not good any more than a fever is, but ignoring the core wound is worse.

Depends on several factors. Public support for the rioters, military support for the government, etc.

If the public backs the rioters and the military/police won't quash them hard, then yeah, riots will scare the shit out of a government.

• Options
    Uh huh. Because a supermarket is an institution of power, correct. /s

The rich and powerful can get their food transported by helicopter and have their gated communities secure. I've seen both things. Trying to paint looting a supermarket like it was the assault at Ceausescu's residence is ridiculous.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Uh huh. Because a supermarket is an institution of power, correct. /s

The rich and powerful can get their food transported by helicopter and have their gated communities secure. I've seen both things. Trying to paint looting a supermarket like it was the assault at Ceausescu's residence is ridiculous.

The rich and powerful have nothing more than the rest of us without societal stability.

But youre also putting a lot of words in my mouth.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The rich and powerful can often profit massively from social instability.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Couscous wrote: »

Can. Like I said, riots aren't in and off themselves good, but sometimes theyre the best tool you have.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Can. Like I said, riots are in and off themselves good, but sometimes theyre the best tool you have.

I don't think you mean that.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    aren't*

Ultimately there comes a point where a violent disruption is morally preferable to an unjust peace.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    aren't*

Ultimately there comes a point where a violent disruption is morally preferable to an unjust peace.

True. But you have to be very careful about that path. Because once you start down that path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Wait wrong thread. But once you start that path, things can go downhill hard.

To quote the authority on the subject.

"A Riot is an ugly thing. And once you get one started, there is little chance of stopping it short of bloodshed."

Yes, it's a funny movie. But it is accurate. Once the blood gets to people's heads, it won't end quick or pretty.