As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Dota Overlord

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Dota Overlord

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    If you love someone enough, you're gonna fork them eventually.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Zomagic wrote: »

Well yeah, when spooning isn't enough, you gotta fork each other.

• Options
    FriendFiveFriendFive Registered User regular
    After years of occasional LoL strips, I am just glad to see the guys do something DOTA related. :-)

• Options
    ZenigataZenigata Registered User regular
    As someone who never cared for MOBAs, the buying items part was always one of the biggest things I disliked about the genre. Probably why of those HotS was the one I disliked the least.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Edit: good job posting nothing, phone. Just trying to hit agree on the above post.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I see the tables have turned.

i-BV9JrK7-2100x20000.jpg

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    From the first time I played LoL I was very intrigued by the idea. PvP in MMORPGs is always kind of weird because either everyone fights at the same level and/or gear, which removes the RPG aspect, or everyone gets to use their levels, in which case it's just a test of who has played longer.

So MOBAs are kind of brilliant for actually making a game of competitive leveling: how efficiently can you grind monsters, how well can you choose talents and spend money on the right gear. It's the entire MMO 1-max level experience distilled into a "short" hour with everyone on the same playing field.

But then playing the game I realized that I really don't want to be tested on how efficiently I grind. I'd much rather level at my own pace, and make whatever mistakes in talents and gear without being judged.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I haven't played LoL or DotA, but I've tried a couple times to get into HotS. It never seems to hold my interest for long. But I'm sure they are great fun for many gamers. :)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Is this some kind of Moba resurgence? I don't know what is going on anymore.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Auto Chess is like a new thing. You basically just buy your guys in between rounds, and then they auto-battle with minimal interaction by the player.

Seems like a dumb gaming trend to me, but it blew up overnight and got huge and now all the cool kids are playing it. (I'm not a cool kid.)

I did, however, go to Twitch once and watch a guy play the DotA version of Auto-Chess. I didn't really understand it after about 2 minutes of watching, so I left.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Auto Chess is like a new thing. You basically just buy your guys in between rounds, and then they auto-battle with minimal interaction by the player.

Seems like a dumb gaming trend to me, but it blew up overnight and got huge and now all the cool kids are playing it. (I'm not a cool kid.)

I did, however, go to Twitch once and watch a guy play the DotA version of Auto-Chess. I didn't really understand it after about 2 minutes of watching, so I left.

Sounds like Clash Royale type games but with even less agency. Pass!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Being yelled at by your teammates who want to stab you with a fork is a pretty universal MOBA experience.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    I tried it last night because of this comic. It’s like one of those euro board games. Buying heroes with matching colors gives you bonuses. Buying three of the same hero consumes them and gives you a higher level version of that hero. You play over about 40 rounds (there are 8 players who duel each other in a round robin) and the goal is to be the last one standing. You’re offered 5 heroes from the shop at random each round but you can also pay 2 gold at any time to reroll what’s in the shop

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    It's functionally a Roll and Write/Deck Builder turned digital.

There's strategy in valuating team comps and managing money correctly but mostly it's just a really good game to put on while watching Netflix in the other window and relaxing at the end of the day.

• Options
    So is it a good euro? Like, if they made a tabletop version would it be good?

• Options

I struggle to see the comparison to euros (which I play a lot). I'd say it's way more like a deckbuilder. And Triple Town.

It's one of those games that's all about synergies and build strategies and stuff. Like you could read page after page about tips and strats for playing it right.

So in many ways, like Overwatch/DOTA2/LoL/etc.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    These auto chess games feel like a cell phone game with even less agency.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dennis wrote: »

I struggle to see the comparison to euros (which I play a lot). I'd say it's way more like a deckbuilder. And Triple Town.

It's one of those games that's all about synergies and build strategies and stuff. Like you could read page after page about tips and strats for playing it right.

I got my hopes up when a couple people said Deck Builder but then I realized it's probably the Magic type and not the Dominion type...

• Options

I got my hopes up when a couple people said Deck Builder but then I realized it's probably the Magic type and not the Dominion type...

Yes, exactly. And even then, the analogy breaks down because you replace units at the beginning of the round when you want to. They're not used up like cards generally are in these games, going back to your discards.

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    These auto chess games feel like a cell phone game with even less agency.

I lost a game purely out of hero choice RNG, so, yeah, this is pretty accurate.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

I think its more like 7 wonders or splendor actually. Since if you pick a unit the chances that other players will get to pick the same unit go down.

And you get way more powerful when you get the same colors.

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I enjoy that Tycho puts his hand on Gabe's injured side in the 3rd panel

Agentflit on
  • Options
    It’s more the Dominion type. In Magic you just make your deck before the game and it stays the same. In Underlords you are developing your group of heroes between every fighting round, and your plans might change depending on what you get offered

• Options
    I don’t mean to be an evangelist for the game, but it’s free. You may as well have a game against the ai instead of making assumptions

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I think its more like 7 wonders or splendor actually. Since if you pick a unit the chances that other players will get to pick the same unit go down.
    I wondered if the game had a system like this to keep everyone’s armies different from each other. That’s good to know

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019

What's to buy? Can you get a Knight with a faster horse or a taller hat for your Bishop?

The Chessmaster series is fine, don't see why you need another one.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

Yes, exactly. And even then, the analogy breaks down because you replace units at the beginning of the round when you want to. They're not used up like cards generally are in these games, going back to your discards.

I mean, the analogy isn't 'this is the exact mechanics' but that both are games where the primary goal is management of a draft pool to outpace opponents you have minimal interaction with outside of the draft.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    It’s more the Dominion type. In Magic you just make your deck before the game and it stays the same. In Underlords you are developing your group of heroes between every fighting round, and your plans might change depending on what you get offered

So it's more like Ascension than Dominion?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Also you can form a party with friends and play with them.

I haven't tried it but its definitely a feature.

• Options
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lttlefoot wrote: »

So it's more like Ascension than Dominion?
    Yeah

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Also you can form a party with friends and play with them.

I haven't tried it but its definitely a feature.
    ah, you click the “person” icon in the top left to form a party. Then you can queue for a public match, play with bots and friends, or have a no bots private game with friends only. I assume if you choose the last option then you don’t need an 8 man party, which will throw off the balance a bit because the game will be shorter, but good to have the option. Thanks

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Aldo wrote: »

I’m terrified to learn what sporking is.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

I’m terrified to learn what sporking is.

Mostly spooning plus just the tip of the fork.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

I was very disappointed when I found out it wasn't a remake of the classic Battle Chess.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”