As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] We are that guy. He is us.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm getting old and need new glasses I think. It's becoming harder and harder for me to paint detail, I can't hold the models close or things get blurry, but far enough away for focus and I can't easily put brush on detail. I think it's time for progressive lenses. Funny that miniature painting is finally going to push me over the edge to get some.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really do need to get a light as painting on the couch and by the glow of the computer screen is kind of getting it
    1pflg7utwdca.png

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Genestealer Cultists are basically the poster children for contrast paints. A ton of fiddle details and no flat surfaces means you can glop it on and get good results with minimum fuss.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Im thinking of getting into genestealer cults for kill teams, they seem fun.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Regimental Standard was great this week. I love this art.

regstd-jun26-knightpict18dhs.jpg?w=760&h=539

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

I lost three models in three turns to a single genestealer and the Predatory Leap strategem the last time I played Killteam.

I would have been mad if I wasn't so impressed.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Sleep wrote: »

I lost three models in three turns to a single genestealer and the Predatory Leap strategem the last time I played Killteam.

I would have been mad if I wasn't so impressed.

The heavy rock cutter is the thing im lookin at. After I do damage (which is 2 to start) I roll a die, if I roll higher than your current wounds you're out of action.

The fact the model carrying it has a 3+ ws with reroll 1s and the ability to get 6 inches across the board before the start of the game is bonkers.

Sleep on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    If you need to mulch some titans or other anything really, as Eldar Harleequins seem the way to go.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/28/apocalypse-faction-focus-harlequinsgw-homepage-post-4/

That is a ridiculous amount of 6+/6+ attacks on the basic troupe that always rolls its 6+ save on a d12. Compare that to a 10 model strong units of Striking Skorpions that are one Power rating more

I can't watch as I am at work but GW is doing an Apoc game right now it seems on twitch. I show the push on my phone.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    If you need to mulch some titans or other anything really, as Eldar Harleequins seem the way to go.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/28/apocalypse-faction-focus-harlequinsgw-homepage-post-4/

That is a ridiculous amount of 6+/6+ attacks on the basic troupe that always rolls its 6+ save on a d12. Compare that to a 10 model strong units of Striking Skorpions that are one Power rating more

Add in the -1 to hit from the detachment, -1 to wound from a Shadowseer, and rerolls from a Troupe Master and they sound like absolute wrecking balls on paper. Way scarier than their 40k version.

Burnage wrote: »

Add in the -1 to hit from the detachment, -1 to wound from a Shadowseer, and rerolls from a Troupe Master and they sound like absolute wrecking balls on paper. Way scarier than their 40k version.

Tougher than Terminators, more agile than Banshees, and the damage output of a a couple of Bloodthirsters.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So the genestealer cult commanders for kill team includes a Patriarch right? I was planning on getting and subbing in a xenomorph queen if that were the case

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I actually really hate how harlequins are designed across pretty much all of their iterations (with killteam being by far the most dumb). They always just throw out entire game mechanics, which just makes them boring as hell. Terrain interaction? nope. Armour saves? Nah. SAP/SAT differential? Pfft. It's just one number sucka.
    This crap isnt interesting game design, it's just gutting of mechanics without replacing them with any other interactions.

website_header.jpg
    McGibs wrote: »
    I actually really hate how harlequins are designed across pretty much all of their iterations (with killteam being by far the most dumb). They always just throw out entire game mechanics, which just makes them boring as hell. Terrain interaction? nope. Armour saves? Nah. SAP/SAT differential? Pfft. It's just one number sucka.
    This crap isnt interesting game design, it's just gutting of mechanics without replacing them with any other interactions.

I think they're an interesting attempt at answering the question "How do you make a hyper-elite army that's still fragile?", but in practice they're not hugely fun to play as or against. I'd almost be inclined to say they need a rework in 40K - at the very least they need their points adjusted.

And in apoc they're not even fragile. It's not like eldar in battlefleet gothic which also throw out the whole movement rules and get super good saves against most weapons, but once you beat the save or have enough of the right kind of weapons just disintegrate.

edited June 2019
    I think they'd be cool if they borrowed more "do stuff out of sequence" type mechanics, like how warpspiders or old jump-shoot-jump worked and make them really slippery on the table rather than just "iunno... they have a 4++ and -1 to hit I guess."
    High skill ceiling due to a lot of needing to know when to do what types of interrupt sequences, but made manageable by small unit count.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited June 2019
    I think they'd be cool if they borrowed more "do stuff out of sequence" type mechanics, like how warpspiders or old jump-shoot-jump worked and make them really slippery on the table rather than just "iunno... they have a 4++ and -1 to hit I guess."
    High skill ceiling due to a lot of needing to know when to do what types of interrupt sequences, but made manageable by small unit count.

Eldar used to have so many out of turn abilities over the years, like the crystal targeting matrix of old or one edition of battle focus. 8th edition eldar have not much of that.

Which is why I like the warlord abilities of farseers and autarchs. Instead of the usual aura of making people hit more or hit harder they look a lot more interesting, especially the path of command with the double orders. An actual tactical ability.

honovere on
    And in apoc they're not even fragile. It's not like eldar in battlefleet gothic which also throw out the whole movement rules and get super good saves against most weapons, but once you beat the save or have enough of the right kind of weapons just disintegrate.

I tired to get into battlefleet back then getting the Eldar ships was a pain at the time and seeing them in action and the complaint then said people diving into the rule books to see if it was true really made me think twice about it

It was seeing people play around with the yellows and green contrast paint is where I got the idea I can do my harlequins as I wanted the look of the veiled path
    I know the only guide I ever found was these
    brb4ug2hh2qj.jpg
    6lkks7d5s98q.jpg
    I know it's easier said then done but I feel they might be a lot easier to do with the contrast and normal paints now

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well looks like my plans are for naught. The company that made the mini I had in mind stopped selling them like, last month.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Are they in the Swedish fashion business now?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Sister Superior Amalia Novena almost get! My flgs got some in today and I'm getting mine from them tomorrow.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Elaro wrote: »

I suspect I'm missing something here but no, they're Prodos Games and I don't know if they sell anything right now, and worse I can't seem to find any of their alien queens on ebay or anywhere either.

sigh

2wczen1lptt0.png

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I'm sorry, that should be "Swiss fashion". I messed up my line.

Skip to 5:40 for the thing I was making a joke about.

https://youtu.be/jKuxFnVlfOE?t=340

tl;dr
    A company that used to make game products (ie protective sleeves for card games) completely stopped production, much to the consternation of its costumers. Much like Lord_Asmodeus's situation. Therefore, the attempt at levity.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »
    2wczen1lptt0.png
    Man it's weird seeing webcomics leaking in here!

Mayday on
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Like a dog watching TV I'm both confused and excited by this joke.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So I got hands on with the Apoc rulebook for a few minutes today and it looks pretty neat. The core rules are across eight or so pages and actually make sense, mostly. The common special rules are one page only.
    Inferno is, as suspected, auto-hit.
    Infiltrate is the only rule that allows a unit to survive further than 12” from its Commander;
    Deep Strike says nothing about being out of command range
    Cover gives -1 to hit and you don’t have to be in it to benefit, some cover defined as garrisonable or something like that gives a flat 6+ save as well, regardless of your actual Sv.
    I’ll add more if I remember it.

Oh yeah, suggested minimum power level is 300 and they have table size and play time guidelines for up to 900pl in the book.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Rules for the new vehicles are leaked:
    skorpius-datasheet.jpg
    116ish points for the Skorpious looks REAL good. It's a decent alternative to the dunecrawler, trading some raw damage output for more reliable damage and more small-arms fire.
    Dunerider's better than a rhino, so there's that. You could fit 10 ruststalkers in it for a good time.

repulsor-executioner-datasheet.jpg
    300ish points for the executioner seem like a lot, but I'm just naturally averse to eggs-in-one-basket types of units. Especially ones with no invulnerable saves.

website_header.jpg
    edited June 2019
    This model can transport 6 <CHAPTER> PRIMARIS INFANTRY models. Each MK X GRAVIS model takes up the space of 2 other models. It cannot transport JUMP PACK models.

Sounds like we're getting jump pack Primaris marines.

edit: after checking the codex it looks like the regular Repulsor has the same wording, so maybe they were just trying to keep their bases covered.

SmokeStacks on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    This model can transport 6 <CHAPTER> PRIMARIS INFANTRY models. Each MK X GRAVIS model takes up the space of 2 other models. It cannot transport JUMP PACK models.

Sounds like we're getting jump pack Primaris marines.

edit: after checking the codex it looks like the regular Repulsor has the same wording, so maybe they were just trying to keep their bases covered.

Inceptors and Suppressors have the jump pack keyword.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Ahhhh, yeah. I thought they used a different keyword.

I still think it's pretty goofy that Admech can't just use Rhinos. It's an extremely common utility vehicle with a design that dates back tens of thousands of years... but the admech can't ride in them for some reason. They build them! Why use a rugged, reliable, battle tested, T7 design when we could ride around and get sniped in a hovering shoebox instead?

https://youtu.be/TBD24NA9xJI

An actual Apoc game. This is a very interesting system. And it is very much like epic.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular

I still think it's pretty goofy that Admech can't just use Rhinos. It's an extremely common utility vehicle with a design that dates back tens of thousands of years... but the admech can't ride in them for some reason. They build them! Why use a rugged, reliable, battle tested, T7 design when we could ride around and get sniped in a hovering shoebox instead?

Rhinos are just too basic for their tastes.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Rules for the new vehicles are leaked:
    skorpius-datasheet.jpg
    116ish points for the Skorpious looks REAL good. It's a decent alternative to the dunecrawler, trading some raw damage output for more reliable damage and more small-arms fire.
    Dunerider's better than a rhino, so there's that. You could fit 10 ruststalkers in it for a good time.

repulsor-executioner-datasheet.jpg
    300ish points for the executioner seem like a lot, but I'm just naturally averse to eggs-in-one-basket types of units. Especially ones with no invulnerable saves.

Damn links are busted already.

Mayday wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    2wczen1lptt0.png
    Man it's weird seeing webcomics leaking in here!

Speaking of which
    nq6h6jx0l4gq.jpg

An Aos webcomic

I am tempted to get one of the Apoc armies just either the wraithguard one for my brother since he has seen mine in action lately. The Chaos marine one I am interested in since it would cause me to res my forgotten army of old. The Necron I don't have Tomb Blades or a Ghost Ark so I know I could get those for cheap in time
    They finally tell you how many movement trays you get in each box 18 for the 25mm 12 for the 32mm and 16 for the 40mm
    But it looks odd that you can separate the 40mm ones
    3ylxeds9ac0s.jpg

Now it's sleepy brain talking I thought they offered a dark apostle who was raising his mace up standing on a pile of books I don't see it anymore I see one now in a fiery oratory with hangers on. Was I thinking of someone's custom build or?

Minimum unit size for a lot of models on 40mm is either 3 or 5, having movement trays which cater to both of those seems like it makes sense?

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    In the Guerrilla minis apoc video they mention how the rules say to just play normal 40K if you are doing anything less than 300 PL. Is this gonna be the kind of thing where two players can combine their total power levels and it basically ends up as a 2v1 situation? Haven't really heard a lot of the multiplayer aspect of the game.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.

The landing boat looks just so rickety low tech. I'm also not the biggest fan of the proportions. It just seems a bit too short and the round hover skirt isn't great either. And the tank version I like even less. I think this is the first mechanicus release I'm disappointed with.

This discussion has been closed.