As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Air Conditioner issues

MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
Last night my AC stopped working.

Looked up troubleshooting tips and did the following

Checked breakers, none tripped. Flipped ac/furnace one off and back on.
Replaced air filter
Set thermostat to off and back to cool
Flipped switch at furnace off and back on
Checked cutoff box outside. Pulled out and plugged back in the switch.

The furnace pushes air through the vents and the thermostat turns it on and off correctly. Thermo doesn't use batteries, gets power from the wall.

Did not notice any ice build up.

Don't know how to find the float tray so can't see if it's full but water seems to drain outside just fine.

Condensor is my guess. Doesn't make any noise, not even the buzz it usually does before kicking on.

Pulled the side panel off. No family of mice or chewed wires. Capacitor seems ok but i'm thinking it's the culprit.

Anyways, have a tech coming out friday afternoon. But is there anything I can try or check before that to try and get it working sooner?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    You’ve done everything I could think of. Sucks it takes that long to get someone out to look at it. We are definitely in the heatwave portion of the weather pattern right now. Good luck. :bro:

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I was going to point to the capacitor, since I've had issues related to that myself, but then you checked that box. That being said, it's entirely possible that the capacitor could be shot internally without any external indication. Still, you're better off having the tech check at this point.

Even though you don't have frosting/icing, it's probably worth giving the insulation for the tubing a good check and try to plug up any holes in the insulation.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Are you getting power to the compressor when the AC should be running?

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    I don't have any testing tools so i'm not sure :?

Another piece of info, the AC was running fine when I got home yesterday at 76 degrees. Dropped it to 74 and about 30 mins lates was when I noticed warm air from the vents. Not sure if that means anything past coincidence though.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Is your thermostat the old kind with the spring and mercury level? Make sure the contacts are touching. Sometimes they can get messed up with age.

You said you changed it so make sure no wires or anything are loose inside.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Is your thermostat the old kind with the spring and mercury level? Make sure the contacts are touching. Sometimes they can get messed up with age.

You said you changed it so make sure no wires or anything are loose inside.

It's a newer digital model. I did not check to make sure all the wires were tight behind it though. Going to do that.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oooh, did you recently wire it? On my ecobee I had to make sure I got the wires exactly right because my first attempt made the auxiliary heat go on at the same time as the ac and that was screwing it all up.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Your furnace is acting as the heat exchanger and fan and is functioning, you don’t appear to have a cooling line leak or issue, the other part is the condenser. That’s all of the parts of an ac system, heat exchanger fan cooling line and condenser. Check to see how old the condenser is and see if it’s under warranty. You’ll still have to pay for the install, but you can save about 2k on the unit itself.

• Options
    Going to find out in about 8 hours what the real trouble is. Hoping it's something simple like the capacitor and that I won't have to replace the unit

• Options
    Tech diagnosed problem.

Bad contact switch and it's leaking freon.

Gonna replace the switch, refill and do a leak seal

$800

oof

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Tech diagnosed problem.

$800

oof

This is good. The last time I had a situation like your happen, it was capacitors over and over, then the fan motor, then finally a new unit for twelve thousand dollars.

Cheap part and a maintenance is so much better than it could have been.

spool32 on
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    $800 seems like a lot for that. We had our air/heater replaced last year, I think our air conditioner cost about about 2k.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Tech diagnosed problem.

$800

oof

This is good. The last time I had a situation like your happen, it was capacitors over and over, then the fan motor, then from Nally a new unit for twelve thousand dollars.

Yeah, i'm finding out it's better than I thought with the costs other people have incurred.

Think a wise choice on my part would be to add major appliance to my insurance.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Tech diagnosed problem.

$800

oof

This is good. The last time I had a situation like your happen, it was capacitors over and over, then the fan motor, then finally a new unit for twelve thousand dollars.

Yeah, i'm finding out it's better than I thought with the costs other people have incurred.

Think a wise choice on my part would be to add major appliance to my insurance.

if your unit is older than the warranty, definitely.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    furbat wrote: »
    $800 seems like a lot for that. We had our air/heater replaced last year, I think our air conditioner cost about about 2k.
    That’s the compressor.

800 isn’t bad during the summer, unfortunately getting an AC repaired during the summer or a furnace/boiler repaired during the winter coats about 50% more.

I’ve seen full systems go 10k+ during the summer, if it’s a weekend it’s even more expensive.

If your A/C is fucking up get it fixed during the winter.

zepherin on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    Plus if it's an older system R-22 keeps increasing in price as it's replaced with R410a

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Tech diagnosed problem.

$800

oof

I'd be concerned about the leaking; depending on where it is/how bad the leak is you may need to totally replace that part of the unit. Trying to find pinhole leaks can be tedious.

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    Tech diagnosed problem.

$800

oof

I'd be concerned about the leaking; depending on where it is/how bad the leak is you may need to totally replace that part of the unit. Trying to find pinhole leaks can be tedious.

Tech did a 'leak seal' so i'm hoping that takes care of it. I also don't know what that process is.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »

Freon is super expensive due to regulatory taxes on it. My father worked with commercial A/C units on container ships as well as home units, so i was dragged along with him as his helper on many jobs. I remember one story he told me about a job he was called to and found a large pipe was broken and all the freon in one of these huge units just escaped into the air.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Tech diagnosed problem.

$800

oof

Heres the tedious and expensive method to find leaks:

a bottle of soap water and an eye dropper. Look for bubbles around the weld seams.

(Again, i watched my father do this endless times. it sounds simple but it works.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum