As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

QUILTBAG: It’s Pride Time

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I went to a wildflower identification workshop yesterday. At one point the instructor was talking about plants with male flowers and plants with female flowers, and then referred to 'transgender' flowers that exhibit some combination of traits. It was clearly intended as a joke.

I can't decide if I want to email and say something about it. It was such a minor thing. I can't tell if it's actually a problem or if I'm just so hypersensitive to anyone whose character I'm not sure of even mentioning transgender that I'm putting too much into it.

I mean.. it's poor science anyway, if the flowers have a combination of traits then surely intersex or nb would be a more apt word to use, but it still comes across as being a bit shitty.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    I went to a wildflower identification workshop yesterday. At one point the instructor was talking about plants with male flowers and plants with female flowers, and then referred to 'transgender' flowers that exhibit some combination of traits. It was clearly intended as a joke.

I can't decide if I want to email and say something about it. It was such a minor thing. I can't tell if it's actually a problem or if I'm just so hypersensitive to anyone whose character I'm not sure of even mentioning transgender that I'm putting too much into it.

Your feelings are valid, and if it distressed you to this point where you're questioning/posting about it, it is absolutely sensible to write in and request they do better

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Radio DJ once made some weird sarcy comment- "I suppose we're all transgender these days", or something like that- so I sent an email explaining how that kind of ignorance can be harmful. Never got a response but it felt better having sent it.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Best wishes @Erin The Red!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    pimento wrote: »

I mean.. it's poor science anyway, if the flowers have a combination of traits then surely intersex or nb would be a more apt word to use, but it still comes across as being a bit shitty.

Hermaphroditism is the technically correct botanical term here.

Edit: which, of course, is never the correct term when describing humans.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure the professional botanist knows what the actual correct terminology is. It was intended as a joke.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Erin is still in surgery. 9 hours and counting.

Kaplar on
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I hope she's okay and it's just clerical delays

Just got updated after that post. Looks like they're close to finishing!

I hope nothing serious happened. I think my surgery was done in like two and a half hours

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    It’s variable from my understanding. When my friend went in for it we got to the hospital at 8am, and between surgery prep, the surgery, and post surgery stuff she had just finished up a little after 5pm.

never die on
    edited June 2019
    The range that she was given was 4-12 hours so it's still within the expected time frame. I just don't like how large of a range that is.

e: I'm her brother btw. Getting updates from our mom who is with her.

Kaplar on
    I genuinely had no idea you two were siblings
    That's very cool

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Kaplar wrote: »
    The range that she was given was 4-12 hours so it's still within the expected time frame. I just don't like how large of a range that is.

Sorry I wasn’t trying to imply that you shouldn’t worry or your worry was unfounded. I was a ball of nerves for my friend at the hospital until the nurse came out to tell her fiancé that she was fine and they were wrapping up. It’s a big surgery and stressful. We’re all rooting for her.

never die on
    edited June 2019
    never die wrote: »

Sorry I wasn’t trying to imply that you shouldn’t worry or your worry was unfounded. I was a ball of nerves for my friend at the hospital until the nurse came out to tell her fiancé that she was fine and they were wrapping up. It’s a big surgery and stressful. We’re all rooting for her.

I didn't get that at all from your post. No worries. I'm glad that she has such a great support system with y'all.

Psykoma wrote: »
    That's very cool

She posts in the good food thread. I post in the bad food thread. It's a strained relationship.

Kaplar on
    She's out of surgery and in recovery! Likely she'll be there for an hour or two before she gets to go to her room if all goes well.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    '

I didn't get that at all from your post. No worries. I'm glad that she has such a great support system with y'all.

That's very cool

She posts in the good food thread. I post in the bad food thread. It's a strained relationship.

She posts some really intimidatingly good food. I don't blame you for joining us in the Totino bunker.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Jedoc wrote: »
    '

That's very cool

She posts some really intimidatingly good food. I don't blame you for joining us in the Totino bunker.

I'm sure she'll post some more soon. She was showing me pictures of a place that does stuffed Turkey legs near where she's staying and mmmboy.

She's out of recovery and in her room. Don't know how many more updates we'll get, but I'll post if anything major happens. Hopefully she'll be on here herself soon enough. Despite being under for so long, I wouldn't be surprised if she was tired.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    She's out of recovery and in her room. Don't know how many more updates we'll get, but I'll post if anything major happens. Hopefully she'll be on here herself soon enough. Despite being under for so long, I wouldn't be surprised if she was tired.

She's sure to be exhausted for a day or two. Anesthesia isn't rest, and surgery takes a lot out of you as your body diverts resources to heal the cuts and so forth.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Morning, friends.
    I have a vagina now.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    perhaps the only time on the forums where people have been able to go "please keep me updated on your vagina" without eating a ban

liEt3nH.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I'm heading off to a queer dance thing called Unicorns with the quad and it's gonna be cool

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Do you only have to have the one op Erin? When do you get to go home?

Do you only have to have the one op Erin? When do you get to go home?

Yeah they did it all at once. As far as going home,: no clue!

I tried to get up and walk and passed out so that's something

edited June 2019
    That sounds pretty normal.
    They had us try and get up maybe six or eight hours after surgery and I think one of the four people there didn't pass out.
    Within two or three hours all of us were up and stumbling around the nurses station

Psykoma on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    having worked in a hospital there are the occasional superhuman oddballs who can just get up and shake off a surgery pretty easily but it is very rare.

for most folks it's "hey can you move around?" "oh let me c-nooooope"

This made me remember one thing, they put these things on our legs while lying in the bed. They were water filled and applied pressure in different areas constantly. They were a little bit noisy but not too much to sleep and they were comfy and apparently prevented DVT.

This made me remember one thing, they put these things on our legs while lying in the bed. They were water filled and applied pressure in different areas constantly. They were a little bit noisy but not too much to sleep and they were comfy and apparently prevented DVT.

Yeah it's like a weird ongoing leg massage?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    That sounds nice, wish I could have had some of those leg massage thingys when I was in the hospital for surgery.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Those are really good. Most places use them now as far as I can tell.

A friend of mine has been hospitalized for a while now without them and he developed a thrombus in each leg so... yeah. Use the leg things.

fuck gendered marketing
    The pride thing I went to was nice. Just maybe a couple of hundred people having a picnic with some bands playing. Nice to see so many different folk in one place, and loads of kids which was cool. Considering going to Bristol pride next month now but that will be so much more hectic and crowded so I dunno.

The pride thing I went to was nice. Just maybe a couple of hundred people having a picnic with some bands playing. Nice to see so many different folk in one place, and loads of kids which was cool. Considering going to Bristol pride next month now but that will be so much more hectic and crowded so I dunno.

I'm glad you had a positive experience! My first pride was real nice and together-y

Maybe give the Bristol one a shot but have escape options handy?

I don't think I'll bother with the main events because it will just be too busy, but there's a couple of trans specific meetups on Saturday so I might go along to one or both of those.

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Imagine being so disconnected from your history that you threaten to call the cops on a black trans woman at Stonewall on the 50th anniversary of the riots. It's like an ill-conceived parody.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Time to update our "40,000 dollars" shitposts.

YL9WnCY.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So i gotta put on makeup and smooch people and look handsome with my bfs and meet lovely people and have a good time

And it was a v nice place w nice vibes

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I went by pride fest on the bus after work, and lo and behold the god hates gays contingent were out on the busiest corner on Broadway. A battalion of bicycle cops showed up in preparation for some kind of conflict, but most everyone was ignoring those assholes and having a great time.

It took a good 15 minutes for my bus to take a right turn, but the people watching was so good that I didn't mind at all.

Happy Pride, everyone.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
This discussion has been closed.