As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Overwatch] Thread: June Joust Starts May 21

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Glad I stayed up for that one!

e: Also this cracks me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5iygQqQiDI

SirToasty on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    SF vs Chengdu was the Vancouver vs Chengdu of stage 3

uc3ufTB.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Oh what a great segment.
    Sideshow hasn't watched any of the first half and he comes out and guesses the score before they show him a few setups from the first match and he has to guess what happens next. Highlights include guessing Jinmu 3k Barrage but he actually gets denied and killed by Choihyobin and guessing that YXL EMPs and wins the fight when he actually hits nobody with it. Sideshow almost falls over when he sees the last one.

They did that with the Houston game too.

steam_sig.png
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Oh what a great segment.
    Sideshow hasn't watched any of the first half and he comes out and guesses the score before they show him a few setups from the first match and he has to guess what happens next. Highlights include guessing Jinmu 3k Barrage but he actually gets denied and killed by Choihyobin and guessing that YXL EMPs and wins the fight when he actually hits nobody with it. Sideshow almost falls over when he sees the last one.

They did that with the Houston game too.

I'll have to back and check it out. I had to watch that one after the fact so I skipped halftime.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Toronto picked up Logix and Mangachu to continue their transition into a mixed roster. I'm excited that a Canadian team finally has a Canadian player!

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Thank Mr. Logix

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    i feel like Mangachu has deserved at least a shot at proving himself in OWL for a good long while, so i'm glad to see him there and hope he does well!

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Mayhem with the galaxy brain strategy of giving away their best players...

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Sometimes, you don't need to do a fancy wallride, or come flying in backwards headshotting everyone over a roof,...

No, sometimes, you just walk up and do the thing.

https://youtu.be/cIxZmH11gM8

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    hahahaha oh my goooood

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    gotta remember to wave goodbye next time

uc3ufTB.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    gotta remember to wave goodbye next time

I will forever regret not saying the boop voiceline. It's even loaded as my hotkey voiceline.

I was a bit too excited tho. Like I just sorta wander away stunned that it worked lol

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Jeff Kaplan in the audience

Some sort of announcement tonight?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    It's Friday night, let the guy enjoy his weekend!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    LAG/TOR
    Surefour pulls a Mangachu against Mangachu's new team. Sadly he didn't get the hammer kill on Mangachu. That would have been perfection.

• AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    So, they changed something in comp play with the last patch.

D-LOi_QWsAMsMw9.jpg

A mod on the OW forums has confirmed this is legit.

ZD98Zka.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Oh my god, someone please report Sansam for spamming voice lines

steam_sig.png
    someone's gotta carry on mickie's legacy

uc3ufTB.png
    Man it was depressing seeing Corey wreck LINKZR on Widow after watching him be a completely useless Zarya all season

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Widow is the thing Corey's known for.

@Baidol @Kana and whoever was playing last night and has recording software, check the replays for that sleep dart I hit on the Mercy that just used Valkyrie on Numbani. It was about 2/3rds of the way through the match and we called 2nd point soon after. I didn't get all of it with the highlight button.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    This is what I got

https://youtu.be/Ab5LOJhPw0Y

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    But you can see my pov in the replay viewer and discover that I wasn't even aiming for the Mercy!

• Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Dallas/New York map 2
    I certainly wasn't expecting Dallas to be up by 2 at the half.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
    there have been so many upsets this Stage, i'd basically believe any scoreline at this point

uc3ufTB.png
    FIRE ZACHAREE MY GOD

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I was really stoked to see Taimou back on stage, and on top of that he got some map wins too.

On the other hand, that second half of the series.... oof.

Carpe is pounding.

Melt Bastion for scrap, slowly

what is.. boston... doing..?????

uc3ufTB.png
    what is.. boston... doing..?????
    You know how if you drop some food while doing something your dog will come back every single time you do that thing again to see if there might be food again? It's like that

Eqo is an incredible Pharah, jesus

Somewhat proud of this Halt I got during a placement match today: https://gfycat.com/sizzlinglonejanenschia

Top 10 Photos Taken Seconds Before Disaster
    E5brGlA.jpg

i don't know who does shanghai's social media but, it's good

uc3ufTB.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    jeez Doomfist / Widow / Pharah is such a nasty triple dps composition

Like you take one step wrong and boom you're dead

And then if you dive against one of the DPS, the other two are just waiting on separate angles to immediately murder you for it

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Geez that last map was just brutal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZzlPGnKdU

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    FIRE ZACHAREE MY GOD

Poor guy gets so much hate, I was actually looking at twitch chat during that match and Zach got so much shit that wasn't even bad. Oh no, he used a Pharah ult that didn't get 5, let's ignore the fact he's still alive and that in it of itself is an achievement, but Zach bad!

His Brig isn't great, but Brig in general is going to be an easy target in goats v goats if you're not careful. Should he be more careful? Yes, his Brig is not good, not quite Jake bad, but not great.

The real question is why the hell did they swap out Taimou? Like okay maybe they wanted AKM for Zarya but dude was on fire. I now completely understand why Jayne was taking a break from streaming. Their coaching staff is going to get so much shit for finally taking him off the bench, just to put him right back after he got a chance to prove himself only to lose. Maybe they lose anyway, but god, just keep him in to give him his moment.

You know how a few of the Overwatch League Pharahs melee a lot (Jinmu, DDing, I forget if anyone else does)? Ever wonder what's up with that? Or if you do know what's up with that, ever wonder what effect it actually has? Would you like some numbers? Question mark?

I'm sure a lot of you know what animation cancelling is, but for those that don't know; animation cancelling is where you cut an animation off with another. Cancelling a reload animation is one of the most common since in Overwatch the most important part of the reload is when the ammo counter goes back up; any animation that's happening after that can be cut off with something else. In the earlier days of Overwatch, animation cancels could actually speed some things up, but I'm pretty sure most/all of those have been fixed.

So I recorded about 5 cycles of shooting all rockets and reloading, no melee cancelling. 60 frames per second. From the frame the ammo counter hits 0 to the time it goes back to 6 is 82 frames. From the frame after the ammo hit 6 to the time it lets you shoot again (the ammo hits 5) is 54 frames.

I also recorded a bunch of shoot/reload/melee cancel/shoot cycles, some of them purposefully late to try pinpointing the timing window. Reload (ammo 0 to 6) was still 82 frames. My earliest melee was 2 frames after the reload, with a total of 54 frames before I could shoot again after the reload. The window seems to be around 20 frames, but with how hard it is to get multiple recordings of the same melee timing, it's hard to tell when the total time is actually increasing or if it's just the occasional "off-by-one-frame" that could be a result of a counting error or some weird recording quirk. Either way, total time was fairly consistently 54 frames whenever the melee happened within 20 frames. Meleeing at 22-25 frames resulted in 55 frames total, meleeing at 26 frames resulted in 58 frames, and meleeing at 32 frames resulted in 63 total.

TL;DR Those OWL Pharah's are cancelling their reload animation with a melee, which doesn't actually speed anything up. However, if you melee within a third of a second of the ammo counter going back up, it doesn't slow anything down either; in that case it's just free damage if anyone walks/flies into your melee range.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I'm probably a severe minority but I loathe animation canceling.

This discussion has been closed.