As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleBots] - A New Dawn in the East: King of Bots

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Those kinds of wheels have been around for a bit (not in battlebots though) and from what I remember reading the downside is why bots like minotaur don't use them. You don't get enough traction to push another bot around

And, considering the gyroscopic forces that come into play with a spinner, losing any traction is a bad thing. Even when they're not pushing stuff around, they need as much grip as possible just so they're not shaking themselves across the box.

Just finished watching the latest episode.
    Am I a bad person for really looking forward to seeing Mammoth go up against a nasty spinner? Cause I bet it'll explode real pretty.

see317 on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I like that a wheel just fell off Mammoth half way through. Nothing hit it, Axe Backwards sure didn't have a working weapon, it just... Left early I guess.

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I like that a wheel just fell off Mammoth half way through. Nothing hit it, Axe Backwards sure didn't have a working weapon, it just... Left early I guess.

I guess it was just tired.

Number One Tricky
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I know bot durability is important and not failing because your bot hits hard and shakes itself loose is important but seeing a fight where one robot is clearly dominating only to render itself immobile blows.

At least whatever ill conceived design that makes it through with luck will just get annihilated but the top bots.

Edit:
    Ok at first it looked like Copperhead just failed but during the slomo replay you actually see Skopios break the wheel chain with it's weapon. Skopios needs to work on mobility though, looks really hard to drive like the center of mass is too high and back for the wheel position.

Monsoon vs Ragnarok
    Well that was short. Monsoon hits very hard

Falcon vs BreakerBox
    It almost looked like there was some radio interference for that fight. Falcon looks like and industrial shredder.

Handkor on
    edited June 2019
    Duck vs Cobalt
    Hooooleeee fuckin shit. Jesus Actual Fucking Christ.

After their first fight, I said that Cobalt combines everything terrifying about Bronco and Tombstone. But after seeing what they did to Duck, they're worse. Tombstone didn't do a whole lot of much to that wedge, and it's alter ego Last Rights lost to it. Cobalt almost folded it in half before ripping it off and throwing it into the dead man corner.

Floor scraping wedges need to be hinged or something because it's kinda sad to see a weapon like that saw a spinner breaker in half, throw the pieces twelve feet in the air, and then shit the bed and eat a knockout because they shoved a little piece of steel through the floor joints.

Hevach on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    That big toothy spinner on Cobalt is legit spooky

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Rius wrote: »
    That big toothy spinner on Cobalt is legit spooky

I'm curious how they get so much power into that. The spinner itself can't way anything close to the drum spinners like on Minotaur. It even looks smaller than the another prolific flipper in End Game. I'm guessing they must just have some fancy motor that's running a much higher RPM to be able to flip 250lb bots like they are nothing. The teeth also seem to have a knack for grabbing that some of the other vertical spinners don't. Very rarely does Minotaur flip a bot like that. Mostly they just chew up armor, but rarely find enough purchase to get a big flip in. Then again that front wedge on Cobolt seems designed specifically to feed edges up into the spinner too. Interesting design to say the lease, but I wonder how it will stand up to a big horizontal spinner like Tombstone.

Edit also to be fair to Duck, Duck is designed almost specifically as the anti-Tombstone bot, meant mostly to fight against horizontal spinners.

Simpsonia on
    I can't find much on their design except that the weapon isn't driven like most weapons, its all about energy storage. When it hits, it doesn't expend all it's power instantly, it has follow through. So there's all the impact of a spinner but the follow through is what threw Duck around like Bronco.

It's limited more by angular momentum (the builders actually anticipated the problem that made that giant spinner break the test box because they actually know physics) and the safety rules than the mechanical limits of the system.

Darned safety rules. Where's the Battlebots No Limits fights where everything's remote controlled via CCTV from a bunker 30 floors below sea level?

edited June 2019
    Rius wrote: »
    Darned safety rules. Where's the Battlebots No Limits fights where everything's remote controlled via CCTV from a bunker 30 floors below sea level?

Double Jeopardy goes 4-0 instead of 0-4.

A lot of robots can go past the limits. Not just spinners, either, ever wonder why Bronco claims it can flip a truck but isn't putting robots through the ceiling, or why those clips show it throwing stuff heavier than a robot higher than it does in fights? It only runs at maximum PSI to show off, not to fight.

Hevach on
    If Bronco can flip a truck I want to see footage of that, lol

edited June 2019
    I edited that because, yeah, Ive expressed skepticism on that but they say it every time.

They have shown it throwing 500lb objects a bit higher than their battle box record against 250lb robots, though. Some of that has to be setup and having everything stationary, but some of its because they aren't under BattleBots pneumatic safety limits at home.

Hevach on
    edited July 2019
    Huge vs Jasper
    Huge's driver said, "They're made of plastic so this should be easy."

Uh... Do you want to tell him or should I?

Still, Jasper is cold shit. That hammer is slow as hell. 12 mph is a fraction of Blacksmith's swing speed, and their hammer is a lot smaller. It's telling that their strategy wasn't, "Hit them with the hammer and break them," but, "Try and get the hammer stuck in somewhere important."

Hevach on
    edited July 2019
    see317 wrote: »
    Am I a bad person for really looking forward to seeing Mammoth go up against a nasty spinner? Cause I bet it'll explode real pretty.
    Worth the wait.

see317 on
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Was pretty amusing to see Shatter
    hammer the everloving shit out of Wan Hoo

Xantomas wrote: »
    Was pretty amusing to see Shatter
    hammer the everloving shit out of Wan Hoo

I think this may be the first time I've seen a hammer be effective in Battlebots.
    I mean, there's been a lot of hammers that could theoretically do a lot of damage, but they tend to lack the accuracy to do so.

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    It's great that there's so many effective spinners and almost no boring wedges in Battlebots now, so many entertaining fights.

Seal wrote: »
    It's great that there's so many effective spinners and almost no boring wedges in Battlebots now, so many entertaining fights.

Yeah, the rule that you have to have an active weapon is one of my favorite changes to the newer seasons of Battlebots.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So there's actually a robot battle thing going on at Seattle Center this weekend, in case you want to see this stuff live.

Incenjucar wrote: »
    So there's actually a robot battle thing going on at Seattle Center this weekend, in case you want to see this stuff live.

I'd totally be up for that if I weren't on call this weekend, and also in Denver.

edited July 2019
    Ragnarok: How not to box rush.
    One hit knockout and Valkyrie never left their square. I'm not actually sure Valkyrie was fit to fight the way it was moving and slowly pivoting around their weapon when stationary.

A wedge is a good weapon against any spinner, but Ragnarok's wedge directs impacts straight into the exposed mechanism that drives their craptacular axe.

Hevach on
    Hydra vs Warhawk:
    Easy contender for top 3 fights of the season so far, probably will wind up in top 5 for the whole season? Surgical dismemberment by way of aerial displacement = <3<3

Bronco vs Bite Force:
    What the hell, Bronco? You're covered in defensive wedges and shrouds on your back and sides, and the first thing you do in the fight is feed your flipper's business end straight into Bite Force's ramped up spinner? This fight was over in less than ten seconds.

It doesn't make any sense because last season there were plenty of examples of Bronco leading into spinners with it's ass wedge. They've even driven under other bots backwards and hit them with the flipper from underneath.

Copperhead v. Gruff
    I bet that box smelled amazing after that match.
    Between the burning rubber tires and whatever electronics let their magic smoke out inside Gruff...

Scorpios v. Sidewinder.
    Called that result the moment I saw that tacked on spinner. I thought there was no way that thing would hold together if there was any kind of effective power behind that spinner.

I think I read Sidewinder is like Free Shipping last year, a successful wedgebot from other competitions with an active weapon bolted on for Battlebots purposes.

Remember how that worked out for Free Shipping? Upside down swinging their broken forklift on its cables like a flail with their flamethrower nozle bent back into their chassis melting all their wires.

edited July 2019
    Only just got to finish the episode, and... Man, Bronco,
    SERIOUSLY WHAT THE EVER LOVING FUCK ARE YOU THINKING WITH THE TWANGERS? They're supposed to keep spinners out of range, but A. they're shorter than even Witch Doctor's reach and B. every spinner in the field just breaks them off or bends them out of the way and eats the fucking tires. They did less than nothing last season, at the RE:Mars thing Witch Doctor systematically removed ALL of them to make a point, but they DOUBLED THE FUCK DOWN ON THEM. The rear wedge is replaced with triangular rails or something to free up weight to have four more twangers and do they even have the fenders anymore? Jesus Actual Fucking Christ you are old school veterans at this you know how this works this kind of stuff is how you lose in a split decision to Buddy Lee Don't Play In The Street.

Hypershock, though.
    Holy damn they got over whatever happened last season. Completely disassembled Monsoon in a way that neither driver expected to even be possible. So far away from getting gutted by Bite Force in one hit last year.

And Valkyrie...
    I think Valkyrie has some serious problems going on. They had movement trouble against Hypershock (when they weren't in the screws or the hammers or the air so, you know, forgiveness if you didn't notice) and I don't think they even actually moved in a useful/controlled manner during the Ragnarok fight, they won because Ragnarok has a fatal design flaw and while Valkyrie's ref was saying, "You gotta show me movement," while they were wiggling in the corner, Ragnarok's ref was just counting down because their robot was inside out and clearly not going anywhere until the safety crew came in to sweep it up.

And the Ewart family with Hydra
    I have said some shit about those guys, and I'll admit it hasn't all been fair. Whyachi and Son of Whyachi were demons in the old days, but SoW is literally the same robot it was twenty years ago and nobody else in the field can say the same - even Warhead has evolved (even if they never thought to replace that drum or make a backup in actual decades). It's still a mean spinner, but it's not a dominating force anymore, and it has had some seriously embarrassing losses, and it's got glaring weaknesses that everyone knows about. Lockjaw built a new part just to fight them. Warrior Dragon is almost as old and just as unchanging, and I don't think it has ever in all that time actually kept its weapon working past the first minute of a fight, it's just been a perennial turd. And going through their wiki article on all the stuff they've run in other events or the years Battlebots wasn't on TV, it's a litany of sadness and mediocrity. Even this year, Falcon failed to impress against Breaker Box.

But, ok, credit where credit is due, Hydra is the new doom flipper to make up for Bronco losing their minds. Hydra just joined an elite club of robots that actually cut another robot in half. The clubhouse had a huge, "NO FLIPPERS ALLOWED" sign on the door, and they cut it in half. With their flipper.

Hevach on
    I think I'm in love with
    Rail Gun Max
    after that showing...ignoring the non-traditional finish.

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Railgun MAX > Minotaur.

Number One Tricky
    Minotaur is having a bit of a shit start this year.

I'm interested to see who'll be in he Desperado this year. After what Lockjaw did to it last year, I expect more big names staring at a 2-2 flop to see the value of it than past year when it was mostly potatoes.

edited July 2019
    Monotaur's back motherfu - oh it's on fire again, maybe not.

Edit: Guy said, "Oh it's ok it's the belts we know the smoke of the belts it's nothing," but you could see him hesitate and confer with his te each time it started. I believe him it's the belts (it only happened when the drum was hitting shit and stopped a few seconds after they disengaged) but not that it's nothing, because he sure acted concerned.

Hevach on
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    At least that means if something was going to burn up and fail it was just the weapon and not the whole bot. I love Minotaur and Marco and Daniel Freitas and if they lost to Lucky I was going to actually cry a little.

edited July 2019
    A slipping weapon belt is fixable, nothing like the problems they've had so far. I'm sure they'll be fit to take on Endgame later, and I'm not sure anyone in the desperado field can beat them if they do. And with the earlier problems fixed and this one probably fixed they're on point to be a serious contender.

Hevach on
    I don't understand all these bots with vertical or drum spinners who use a wedge that makes it almost impossible to bring their weapon into effect.

Deep Six
    Traded half their weapon motors for stabilizing bars and now they can juuuuuuust barely move with the weapon spun up. Very poor maneuvering, but incredible power. Cut Axe Backwards in half and then caught fire on one side. Then caught fire on the other side after the safety crew extinguished it.

Seal wrote: »
    I don't understand all these bots with vertical or drum spinners who use a wedge that makes it almost impossible to bring their weapon into effect.

I think the idea is to have the wedge knock the target bot up so the spinner can catch an edge that may otherwise be too low, or get the spinner to the ventral surface.

Black Dragon vs Captain Shrederator
    Physics is fucking awesome, that is all

Desperado final:
    Damn, didn't expect that. Black Dragon lost their weapon but dramatically maintained control of the fight and won on aggression and control. Sucks for Minotaur but that's the drawback to entering the Desperado.

edited July 2019
    Desperado fights do count with the selection committee in some capacity, so Minotaur still probably turned their season around, with two brutal wins and a slugfest decision loss to offset the double knockout. If they get two more wins and can show the consistent power they did here they've still got a good shot.

Hevach on
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Catching up on fights I missed

Sawblaze vs. Blacksmith
    Battle of the irrelevant primary weapons. At the end Blacksmith had cosmetic damage but was working fine, while Sawblaze had no weapon.

But Sawblaze wins because it moved quickly and looked cooler while doing no real damage