As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nba] franken-warriors rise as curse of the brook settles over lakers

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    To be fair Green was a step slower during the regular season because, by his own admission, he showed up fat and didn't get into shape until close to the playoffs. Still his style is likely to be one that falls of a cliff as he ages.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Less fat Green had a LOT of turnovers in the playoffs.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I'm about to get on a flight but was it outsized compared to the rest of the team it his production last year? As a team they always have a horrendous amount of turnovers.

Yes. Last year he had 63 turnovers in 21 post season games and this year he had 83 over 22 games. He had 8 turnovers in game 6 alone and had 5 or more in 8 games.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Curry also gets a lot of hate from players because he didn't grow up poor in inner cities, grew up well-off and his dad played in the NBA, and is "light-skinned", which apparently is prejudiced against in the black community (this is from the book "GOLDEN"). It's happened before too. So they feel he hasn't "earned" his keep, which is complete bullshit. Apparently players gave Grant Hill tons of shit because he also didn't grow up poor and his dad played.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Curry also gets a lot of hate from players because he didn't grow up poor in inner cities, grew up well-off and his dad played in the NBA, and is "light-skinned", which apparently is prejudiced against in the black community (this is from the book "GOLDEN"). It's happened before too. So they feel he hasn't "earned" his keep, which is complete bullshit. Apparently players gave Grant Hill tons of shit because he also didn't grow up poor and his dad played.

I've heard a lot of stories like this from sports and it's sad.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    TelMarine wrote: »

I've heard a lot of stories like this from sports and it's sad.

The second generation hate sucks because 99% of the players that would bitch about that would cut one of their hands off post retirement if it guaranteed one or two of their kids would make it in the league as well.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Blazers swap Evan turner for kent bazemore. Not the most exciting move, but I think it’s probably for the best for both teams.

Bazemore is a bit better fit in Portland since he doesn’t really need or want to have the ball in his hands as much as turner did. And he can at least pretend to be a deep threat (career 35% from deep).

Meanwhile Atlanta could use another penetrating ball handler to take some of the pressure off of trae.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    Meanwhile Harden gets screwed out of an mvp because the award is basically for the most interesting player at this point. I mean, giannis was unbelievable, but harden was doing it all this year.

He was putting up wilt chamberlain numbers in offense while playing decent to actually good defense. He was an unstoppable single man team. But he won it last year and repeat winners are boring, so giannis it is!

It is very common to give MVP to the best player on the best regular season team which is Giannis.

Houston and Harden are boring but that has nothing to do with being repeat anything. They're just boring to watch

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    We’ll miss you, Evan Turner’s Contract. It was fun! (no it wasn’t)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I really like watching harden and feel like a crazy person for it.

I understand why the rockets bore people, I just think what he can do to people in Iso is so pretty.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    james harden is ruining the game of basketball
    he deserves only our disdain

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Harden is exploiting fouls in a way never before seen. The problem is not him its the rules and his teams willingness to exploit them. Specifically rules designed to prevent injuries. If you changed the post jump shot contact rule to stipulate that players moving significantly towards the rim were not subject to it this would reduce a lot of the power of Hardens play.

Alternately you could change the 3pt rule to stipulate that you must return to the court beyond the 3pt line in order for the shot to count as a 3pt attempt.

This is a reason they have struggled in the playoffs (fouls tend to be called a bit looser and the few pts/game that shaves off has big impacts va the best teams)

wbBv3fj.png
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    james harden is ruining the game of basketball
    he deserves only our disdain

I haven’t actually watched much of him but Chiney Ogwumike (WNBA player and ESPN commentator) always cracks me up describing his game as “dribble dribble dribble..dribble dribble dribble...dribble dribble dribble...shoot”

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    If Harden alone were doing it that would be one thing but unfortunately Houston has been playing a numbers game where even 35% shooters are taking 5 corner threes a game trying to draw a foul whenever they are contested.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Kevin Durant opted out I heard on the radio.

I feel like the harden foul thing wasn’t as important this year. I mean his fouls per game was about the same for the last few years, and it wasn’t until this year that he started scoring like he was a one man team.

I do agree though that foul chasing is a huge part of Houston’s game and it drives me crazy.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    If Harden alone were doing it that would be one thing but unfortunately Houston the entire nba has been playing a numbers game where even 35% shooters are taking 5 corner threes a game trying to draw a foul whenever they are contested.

corner threes are broken and i expect to see a rule change about them at some point in the next decade.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    To be fair lillard does the foul chasing way more than I would like too.

The pump fake and the jump into an airborn defender is by far my least favorite play in basketball.

Jebus314 wrote: »
    I feel like the harden foul thing wasn’t as important this year. I mean his fouls per game was about the same for the last few years, and it wasn’t until this year that he started scoring like he was a one man team.

I do agree though that foul chasing is a huge part of Houston’s game and it drives me crazy.

"Fair chance"

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Free agency starts tomorrow at 6PM EST, but given how much blatant tampering goes on, the dominos are already starting to fall in the what figures to be one of the craziest free agencies in recent memory.

Kemba is going to BOS, which means Kyrie is going to BKN, which means KD may be joining Kyrie, which means Dlo is going elsewhere, which means the Knicks may go crazy and offer Tobias Harris the max, which means Jimmy Butler is getting fucking hella paid (possibly by....THE LAKERS?!?!)

It's fucking insane and also it's weird how many names start with K (I left out Klay because as expected he's gonna just chill in Golden State)

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Isn't KD pretty much a scratch for next season with his injury though? I mean I get you want to sign him for future seasons, but its not a guarantee he can even play to the same level and you're waiting a year to find that out?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited June 2019
    I think that's what makes it even more interesting because you don't even know what you're getting (although it is likely grim: the history of players coming back from Achilles ruptures even remotely the same as pre-injury is Dominique Wilkins and no one else)

A franchise is going to be altered and someone is definitely going to get fired over it anyway, either because they signed him or failed to sign him. The Knicks, Lakers, Clippers, and Nets are all thirsty as hell this summer, all of them with room for two max contracts, and I feel like one is definitely going to max like, Bojan Bogdanovic out of desperation

Eddy on
    edited June 2019
    KEVIN DURANT IS JOINING KYRIE IN BROOKLYN

Eddy on
    Eddy wrote: »
    KEVIN DURANT IS JOINING KYRIE IN BROOKLYN

Yes!!! New blood. Hopefully we have new teams coming out of the east now.

Although is it still the awful russian owner? That would be too bad.

Sad to see him go. I was hoping he'd stick around, especially after the way the Finals ended.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I don’t think the Knicks are going to get any decent free agents until there’s an ownership change. Everyone knows Dolan is toxic.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It does seem a little nuts that they picked Brooklyn instead though, it’s not like that franchise has been well run

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    There’s a good chance KD won’t be the same player post injury, so we’ll still be able to say, “LOL Nets”.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    There’s a good chance KD won’t be the same player post injury, so we’ll still be able to say, “LOL Nets”.

Plus if like durant and westbrook was like conflicting egos, Kyrie and durant is going to be fun. I mean flat earthism alone!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Is the ecf gonna be jayz vs Drake now?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Ugh, Aminu to the magic. And his contract is only 29 mil over 3 years. We should have matched that. Our defense is going to suffer, and we weren’t that good to begin with.

Hood resigns with the blazers for 2 yr, 16 mil though. So that’s nice.

And I know we were going to super max lillard, and honestly he deserves it, but 50 mil/yr! Yikes.

Looks like most of the big names are falling into place.

Kyrie/KD/DeAndre to Boston
    Butler to Miami
    Walker to the Celtics
    Tobias Harris stays with Philly
    Horford to philly
    Vucevic stays in Orlando
    Murray stays in Denver

And freaking D’Angelo Russel to GS. I mean he’s definitely no KD, but that team is just rediculously blessed with good incoming talent. KD, cousins, russel, igoudala. Did they have to give up anything to get any of those guys?

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Iguodala was traded away, not to them.

Edit oh you mean when they originally got him

Dhalphir on
    This is the craziest free agency by far in recent memory, right? The hype absolutely delivered. I'm still stricken by that GSW trade for Dlo.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    Iguodala was traded away, not to them.

Edit oh you mean when they originally got him

I did mean originally, but I also missed that the Dlo acquisition was a trade for igoudala. That feels more appropriate. I thought the just signed him in FA for some reason.

Hah! Robin Lopez picked up by the bucks. Lopez bros teamates again! First time since college.

Also saw rumors that kawhi could be headed to the Lakers. I sincerely hope that does not happen. Lebron, AD, and kawhi? I’m not sure that team even needs to start a full five players.

edited July 2019
    the problem with the dlo thing is that gsw gave up too much, he's good but dlo is not really a max deal kinda guy and now they lost Iggy and will have to cut Livingston loose cause they can't afford anyone else, if their bench was depleted this year it's gonna be nonexistent next year

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Harkless and Leonard from the blazers for whiteside from the heat.

I have no idea what to think about this trade. 2-3 years ago it would have been the steal of a century. But whiteside hasn’t looked dominant for a few years, and Leonard finally looks like a real nba player (albeit a backup).