As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU] Far From Home Is Close At Hand (Endgame Spoilers All Up Ins)

1939495969799»

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I'm pretty miffed, pretty sure I saw an ad on Instagram that just straight up showed a portion of the film near the end
    it showed MJ hitching a ride with Peter for the first time and not enjoying it, but... It was very clearly in NY and he's wearing his newer suit

What is it with Sony, Spidey, and making ads featuring the end of their films?

Almost all films do this. There are some films that use the literal final shot in their trailers. It's why some deride trailers as showing the entire movie.

<insert Terminator 2 rant here>

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Most of the MCU films seem to do pretty well about not letting trailers fuck over the the movie content, up to and including a variety of shots that actually don't even end up in the final film or are significantly different in some way. Sony being shitheads about Spidey trailers is no surprise, but I can't remember a single time I was ever concerned about watching other MCU trailers and having things spoiled.

In fact, I have to wonder if the people actually making MCU films intentionally feed incorrect scenes to the generally-shitty trailer-makes in order to actively sabotage their attempts to put the big movie moments in the trailer.

Or the Marvel group actually considers the trailer as part of the whole film package and exercises some quality control instead of handing it over to some randos who'll just follow the #Filmname template with whatever material you give them.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Good Marvel movie is good. Much quips, and Jacob F. Gyllenhaal is great.

Spiderman 4 Prez.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    If anyone has a Marvel thread OP in their back pocket they're free to post it now.

Check no one else has done the same before you hit the button.

a nu start wrote: »

Spiderman 4 Prez.

Saw it twice in one day just so I can flex on you nerds for not being able to see it yet.

Number One Tricky
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Captain Marvel is out on Redbox so I went and saw it again. Still a lot of fun! Her discovery and straight out enjoyment of her powers feels unlike basically everyone except Thor, and I had a big ol' grin on my face as she ran around the ship barefoot smacking fools.

The music was by turns on point and a little over the top--they could have learned from the old 90s show Daria in how to use music of the time. Still a fun trip down memory lane. The 90s references are still too in your face. Too bad.

I just love the chemistry between Fury and Danvers. I would watch their buddy cop movie every time. The Skrull commander who is just a misunderstood artist (...in crime) is pretty funny once he starts getting some actual characterization. The kids are pretty good too.

And I still love her wholehearted rejection of fighting Yon-Rogg on his terms. Fuck you I do what I want.

There was a missed opportunity there with Rage Against the Machine's Killing in the Name...

tl;dr: will buy bluray probably

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My only beef with the soundtrack is this:

While I loved every song on the soundtrack, none of them would have meant a thing to Carol seeing as how she was abducted in 1989.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Carol was off planet, she wasn't dead. Everyone seems to know about earth in the MCU, even if they consider it to be a primitive backwater. In the Marvel universe, earth crap has a habit of showing up all over the galaxy. We see a lot of it showing up in Guardians. The Zune Peter gets at the end of GotG2 is a perfect example. I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that the Supreme Intelligence got ahold of all the most popular earth music over the decades. If not from The Collector, from The Grandmaster on Sakar.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    My only beef with the soundtrack is this:

While I loved every song on the soundtrack, none of them would have meant a thing to Carol seeing as how she was abducted in 1989.

Carol is the spiritual totem of girl punk. Little known power of hers is to inspire an entire genre of music. The music is there not because she's thinking it but because it was made possible by her being such a bad ass.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019

Spiderman 4 Prez.

Saw it twice in one day just so I can flex on you nerds for not being able to see it yet.

You, sir, are a theater going madman.

I salute you!

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Carol was off planet, she wasn't dead. Everyone seems to know about earth in the MCU, even if they consider it to be a primitive backwater. In the Marvel universe, earth crap has a habit of showing up all over the galaxy. We see a lot of it showing up in Guardians. The Zune Peter gets at the end of GotG2 is a perfect example. I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that the Supreme Intelligence got ahold of all the most popular earth music over the decades. If not from The Collector, from The Grandmaster on Sakar.

Most if not all of the little doodads that Yondu collected appeared to be from Earth. A troll doll, a couple of those cheap spun glass figures they sell at seasonal mall kiosks, a bobble head, etc.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    It's not exactly 3000 minutes at the moment, it's somewhere just under 2900, with Far From Home adding another 100+ minutes to that. But yeah, that's where the line comes from.

I know this has been going around for a while but the directors shot that down some time ago. Far as I have seen it came from RDJ. His kid says that to him.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    New Endgame post-credit stuff:
    The Stan Lee tribute was nice, it was BTS interviews with him talking about all his cameos.

The Hulk deleted scene was weird and had reginald veljohnson; pretty sure it's a parody of a scene from Die Hard or some other 80's/90's cop/disaster movie, but I can't quiiiite put my finger on it. Not actually a deleted scene. And the temp CG was like early 2000's videogame caliber, if that. Not even close to Unreal Engine realtime stuff from the last 10 years.

The short clip from Far from Home was super short and kinda meh. Robin and Nick Fury meet Mysterio in Mexico.

Hevach wrote: »
    Carol was off planet, she wasn't dead. Everyone seems to know about earth in the MCU, even if they consider it to be a primitive backwater. In the Marvel universe, earth crap has a habit of showing up all over the galaxy. We see a lot of it showing up in Guardians. The Zune Peter gets at the end of GotG2 is a perfect example. I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that the Supreme Intelligence got ahold of all the most popular earth music over the decades. If not from The Collector, from The Grandmaster on Sakaar.

Most if not all of the little doodads that Yondu collected appeared to be from Earth. A troll doll, a couple of those cheap spun glass figures they sell at seasonal mall kiosks, a bobble head, etc.

In my headcanon, whenever you lose something is shows up on Sakaar. Sock goes missing in the drier? Sakaar. Lost your Zune? Sakaar. Can't find your troll doll? Sakaar.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    New Endgame post-credit stuff:
    The Stan Lee tribute was nice, it was BTS interviews with him talking about all his cameos.

The Hulk deleted scene was weird and had reginald veljohnson; pretty sure it's a parody of a scene from Die Hard or some other 80's/90's cop/disaster movie, but I can't quiiiite put my finger on it. Not actually a deleted scene. And the temp CG was like early 2000's videogame caliber, if that. Not even close to Unreal Engine realtime stuff from the last 10 years.

The short clip from Far from Home was super short and kinda meh. Robin and Nick Fury meet Mysterio in Mexico.

Thanks, you saved me some money!

(Not sarcasm, I really do appreciate the info because I'd have been annoyed to pay money to see only that new material)

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Glad to help! I wanted to see Endgame in the theater again anyways, so no big deal for me, but yeah, the extras are pretty meh.

I heard a rumor that
    JK Simmons came back to reprise his role as JJ for Spiderman Far From Home.

I can not wait to go see it next week. I really wish they'd have done a sneak preview at my local Kinoplex like they did with Spiderverse.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Can you please label that spoiler? I assumed it was about Endgame...

• RandomEncounterRandomEncounter Registered User regular
    He starts off vengeful.
    Learns that the person he is vengeful against is the wrong person, hence all that anger and rage is suddenly replaced with a sense of clarity.
    Sees them fighting each other out of revenge.
    Realises that it is destroying them.
    Opts to not let it destroy him as well.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    N
    I heard a rumor that
    JK Simmons came back to reprise his role as JJ for Spiderman Far From Home.

I can not wait to go see it next week. I really wish they'd have done a sneak preview at my local Kinoplex like they did with Spiderverse.

Yeah you really should label that as Far from home potential spoiler

I REALLY hope it’s true but I’d have loved not to know that might be the case going in.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    FFH comes out on Tuesday and my local theater does $5 movies on Tuesday. I assumed that I would still have to pay full price since FFH is brand new, but nope tickets are still just $5.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    FFH comes out on Tuesday and my local theater does $5 movies on Tuesday. I assumed that I would still have to pay full price since FFH is brand new, but nope tickets are still just $5.

Shh not too loud! People will start coming to Tues shows!

But yeah my local theater has $4 shows all day on Tuesday, even for new movies.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Just rewatched Homecoming with the kids and it doesn't hold up for me.
    Ned was irritating even in my original watch, here he's just grating, Peter destroys quite a few lives with his single-minded pursuit of the Vulture, and it's not because of a personal vendetta but just because he is sad that Stark isn't giving him big boy missions, and the main plot for the villain doesn't really work because the only time we're shown the weapons being used practically out in the public is to rob an ATM, and it's only because of Spider-Man's involvement that the deli gets destroyed. It's all just theoretical possible bad stuff happening in a world where the Helicarrier fell from the sky after trying to murder people with AI. It gets better at the end when they know who each other is and it has a more personal connection, but up until that point Peter is just being a dick, and he's a dick afterwards as well when he ditches Liz to go fight her dad and ends up causing a plane crash he only narrowly averts, when he could've gone taken them out later. It makes for drama, but it makes Peter unlikable to me, and I think maybe I glossed over it first time because "yay Spider-Man". I don't really see why they bothered making that character MJ when she's nothing like MJ, but she is the best character in the film.

Oh and on rewatch that Spider-man driving the car sequence stands out, because this time I was like "why the fuck isn't he web slinging? Have we seen him do a good, proper NYC web sling chase in this film? Then I realised that the whole segment is to advertise AUDIs.

Anyway, hot takes and all that.

AlphaRomero on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That is definitely a hot take.

I watch the movie every few months. It's quite possibly my favorite.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Am I the only person who watches movies only once? I keep reading your posts about how movies hold up on second viewings in theatres and third viewings and monthly rewatchings... If I watch a movie a second time it's because I'm at a home hmovie night with friends who never saw it, and I can count the number of movies that happened for on one hand.

sig.gif
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I normally only see a movie once as well. It loses the the punch once I know what's going to happen mostly. Same for games, tv shows, books. Exceptions now and again (if I forget what happened mainly...).

All the MCU films have been one and done so far. May see Endgame again at some point.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I rewatch movies I love, to keep them fresh in my memory.

I've probably watched Infinity War 5-6 times off my home copy, and saw it twice in theaters. I'll probably watch Endgame twice immediately upon buying it, once normal and once with commentary on. I recently bought Spiderverse on digital just so I could see it with commentary.

Games are a different story, usually a much bigger time investment, so I have to really love a game to hop back in (if it's a long one)

Local H Jay on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

Am I the only person who watches movies only once? I keep reading your posts about how movies hold up on second viewings in theatres and third viewings and monthly rewatchings... If I watch a movie a second time it's because I'm at a home hmovie night with friends who never saw it, and I can count the number of movies that happened for on one hand.

I don't often just sit and watch but I'll routinely put them on in the background and stop what I'm doing for certain scenes.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Plot is generally the least of all reasons why I watch films, and if a film mainly has plot to offer it’s unlikely to be a film I remember much. A film is its characters, its moods, the feelings it evokes. Watching a film I like just once would feel like only seeing a friend once or only visiting a place I like once.

There are definitely MCU films that I’ve had my fill of seeing them once, and even the ones I like I don’t rewatch as often as my overall favourite films, but I enjoy hanging out with these characters, and I like hanging out with them at specific times in their stories.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I usually only rewatch whole movies if it’s been a long time or I feel like I’d benefit from a close rewatch; the only ones that really fall into that category for me in the MCU are civil war and the first Avengers.

I have also “rewatched” iron man 2 a few times, but that one’s such a jumble that watching it is almost the same as just diving through random scenes on youtube

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The only MCU film I currently own is The Winter Soldier. I've rewatched that one several times. Lots of great moments in that one. I've also rewatched a few others in the MCU when it was convenient, i.e. Ragnarok via Netflix.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    SteevL wrote: »
    The only MCU film I currently own is The Winter Soldier. I've rewatched that one several times. Lots of great moments in that one. I've also rewatched a few others in the MCU when it was convenient, i.e. Ragnarok via Netflix.

Winter Soldier is great because it's just a solid stand-alone action-thriller, you could get away with it existing independently of the MCU with just a few small tweaks and it's got solid pacing. I don't know how people can watch Infinity War/Endgame multiple times. Maybe when I was a teenager, but who has the time when you've got a job and kids? It's like Lord of the Rings, it's just a huge time investment.

AlphaRomero on
    Most of the time I rewatch a movie it's to provide some background noise. Like I'll play on my Switch or be working on a little project, so I'll put a movie I've already watched on TV that won't require much of my attention.

Endgame, in addition to being the culmination to years of entertainment, is (to me) one of the most well-paced three hour movies there is. I didn't really mind watching that one multiple times in theaters.

Number One Tricky
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Apparently there's a Howard the Duck Easter Egg in Spider-Man: Homecoming that nobody has found yet? Per the end of this interview:
    https://youtu.be/9mjV4iBJQxc

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Here is your new thread. I did not see anyone else do it so I recycled the current OP. I think it holds up.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/227464/mcu-check-your-far-from-home-spoilers-at-the-door/p1?new=1

This discussion has been closed.