As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2019 Challenge Coin (Updated August 16th with final designs decided)

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Yes, one is good enough, maybe 6 colors, but only one Orca. The spacing is all over the place I imagine because it is difficult to space, and size. Make it easy on yourself. :)

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    There is a lot of wasted space there. It should mimic the Seattle manhole covers, where the entire space is filled.
    https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-R-Ebz4PAiCw/UBdUP2zjbXI/AAAAAAAALPk/ANGLTKYxJFg/s1600/DSC09189.JPG

IhtGIyi.png
  • smashilatorsmashilator Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    I think this picture might have a better angle on the same thing SkeleVader is trying to show.
    https://live.staticflickr.com/28/55769288_c9fb340f91_b.jpg

• Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. Sorry for the lack of pictures lately. I'll try only making one orca with multiple colors. I'll also see if I can implement the manhole cover whale design into something. Thanks again for all the input.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
    Nfan10039 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Sorry for the lack of pictures lately. I'll try only making one orca with multiple colors. I'll also see if I can implement the manhole cover whale design into something. Thanks again for all the input.

No worries man you are rocking it! For a job that gets very little love, and recognition other than the few of us that own them, we love you for it!

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Here's the version with the grate and no changes. I'll see what I can do to make other designs with one whale fit inside(with multiple colors). In my opinion, this one doesn't look too bad either. I love how it says Seattle on the grate and therefore gives context. I've been super busy with getting ready for a technical interview and game development(still wanting to get to Seattle by year's end). Hope you'll be patient as I work to try and make this year's coin for PAX West one of my better designed coins. Thanks again.

v5:
    0bg1bs58z5nn.png

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    LOVE.
    IT.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    Honestly I would go with that

• Captain Ironsides Captain Ironsides Registered User regular
    Yeah, that looks pretty damn good right there. I'm still curious to see what the other version would look like, but this looks to be the likely winner.

zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
    Maybe see if you can color that image above but I love it as is to be honest

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    I like it, some color would be goo to try and fit in.
    Seattle has a lot of artistic manhole covers that were commissioned in the 70's. They get moved around the city from time to time as needed as far as I know. Right now this one is in front of the Sheraton Hotel, will probably still be there during Pax if anyone wants to see it.
    There are a lot of cool designs that could be used in future coins as well. One of the flower designs in right in front of the convention center as well right now.

IhtGIyi.png
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah I like the idea of just focusing on one orca.

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
    edited July 2019
    Slowly but surely getting this done. Sorry for the lack of progress on my end. Been dealing with a ton of stuff lately (refreshing my memory of MySQL, C#, inheritance, polymorphism, doing this, looking for work, etc.), but I finally put some effort into the colored coin of the whales. If you like the color, please let me know and I'll fill in the rest of the whale. If not, well not too much time wasted. The first draft of the gaming side is also posted below. Thank you for your patience everyone. Gaming side will likely need some revisions as the first draft is usually the weakest. Thanks everyone.

Whales v6:
    h4ulnm7e3u8z.png
    Gaming Side:
    qma97l1tvgco.png

Nfan10039 on
    ajor19ru24j1.png
  • ThornkinThornkin Registered User regular
    What about dropping the Nintendo controller and going with just the switch? It might be more balanced. That section seems a bit cramped right now.

The gaming side looks crowded, also East 2014 already did a similar design, so we might want to try and change up the layout a bit:
    http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/wiki/images/0/0a/East2014Coin2.jpg

IhtGIyi.png
    edited July 2019
    I would say drop the KB as well. Make it just the XBOX/PS4/JOYCONS/MOUSE.

I mean you usually only use like 5 keys anyways, why let the whole keyboard take up so much space.

Would look really clean, and easy to balance out.

Bluemeane on
    jj0mqt5d2a94.png

edited July 2019
    Sup dudes. It's your bro here, once again bringing you a new version of the coin(the gaming side at least). Thank you so much for all of the input. It really helps me out. I took out the Switch Pro and also dropped the keyboard. I also changed up the coin design from East 2014, so that this could be an original idea. I have other ideas if you still don't like this version, but thought I'd share this one too since I think it adds a bit of pizzazz. Let me know what you think.

gaming v2:
    ed6f8n6ma7m0.png

Nfan10039 on
    ajor19ru24j1.png
  • Cypher3754Cypher3754 Registered User regular
    I'd have to say V4 of whales and V2 of gamer look awesome

• guyatthecounterguyatthecounter Registered User regular
    I think the whale side shouldn't be so smooshed like the SCL man hole covers. I've always found it hard to see the image since its not colored. So unless you can color it more in the style of native art I'd rather see it changed to something like one of these images, so you can easily see the whale and appreciate what it is.

https://pinterest.com/pin/162270392798108809/

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/c4/58/11/c458113999d2727b7f3d1902c98ff379--indian-artwork-haida-art.jpg

https://pixels.com/featured/haida-northwest-coast-native-american-orca-painting-unknown.html

V2 of the game side is great improvement but I'm worried it won't translate very well to the coin, might be to busy. What if instead of going smaller you went bigger and just showed distinct parts of each of the controllers in V2? Like if all of the controllers were arranged closely next to each other and looking through a camera lens up close, the controllers would fill up the view but you only saw parts of each controller.

• Aardvark VulgarAardvark Vulgar Registered User regular
    For the gaming side v2, can we remove the screen for the switch and just have the sticks? I feel like the screen grabs a lot of the attention.
    Also for the Seattle side, I think we could get away with just a single whale. The cluster of whales of all PAXes is a really cool idea but I think it gets too smooshed together. Looking at Guys links above, some of the killer whale images look pretty cool solo.

70xnyzr.png
    edited July 2019
    Sorry for the delay everyone. I have updated the gaming side as per your kind advice. Please let me know what you think of this updated version.
    Whales have also been given two new versions.

Gaming v3:
    5kr5zp91utk1.png
    Whales v7:
    btklcf98zj3o.png
    Whales v8:
    bll2c261xy8c.png

Nfan10039 on
    ajor19ru24j1.png
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I like V7 whales

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    V7 whales is awesome, and I'm also enjoying the gaming side as well. Nice work!

• guyatthecounterguyatthecounter Registered User regular
    @Nfan10039 fantastic job! I agree with @Dracil and @Croatian Sensation Whales V7 is awesome. I hope Kidder can make the whale raised (same level as the edge of the coin) and background around the whale recessed. I'm liking Gaming V3 as well. Maybe just a few more tweaks if others have suggestions?

• Cypher3754Cypher3754 Registered User regular
    I would love to see the final product of Gamer v3 and Whale v7.

• S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    v7 whales looks pretty good! But v3 gaming looks too cramped imo.
    Personally i still think the controllers concept is boring and a battle royale theme would have been more interesting and im not even a big battle royale fan haha.

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    For Gaming side would a Pyramid stack be too wonky? Like putting both controllers side by side, Switch in the middle and the mouse at the top?

Otherwise I would say to shoot for a circular style but that may be too difficult given the shapes of each item.

• Captain Ironsides Captain Ironsides Registered User regular
    I'm still in favor of V5 for the whale side of the coin, as I feel like that looks most appropriate for a challenge coin in general, and fills in the space nicely. It should have it's own PAX twist, though, so it doesn't look like it was taking straight from a sewer grate, or wherever that design comes from. I'm not too in favor of a lot of flashy colors, either, but am open to different options.

As for the gaming side, I agree with Aardvark about the Switch screen on V2, which is my favorite so far. I think the general layout you already made for that version works nicely, and I prefer it over V3, but without the Switch screens. They just take up too much space and look out of place. Filling in the empty white space behind them would be nice, too. V3 is a close second for me, though, so I'm fine either way.

zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
    For Gaming side would a Pyramid stack be too wonky? Like putting both controllers side by side, Switch in the middle and the mouse at the top?

Otherwise I would say to shoot for a circular style but that may be too difficult given the shapes of each item.

Oh god please no. This just adds to the BS about PC master race/superior blah blah blah garbage lol

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

Bluemeane wrote: »

Oh god please no. This just adds to the BS about PC master race/superior blah blah blah garbage lol

Lol the thought did occur to me but I thought maybe the symmetry would win out. Could easily swap to keyboard and mouse at the bottom but yeah, it could end up making folks bicker and that's no fun.

I'm loving the evolution on designs NFan! V5 and V7 of whale are great and I would honestly be fine with V3 gaming.

We are nearing the end of July my fellow PAXers. Sorry about the delay in getting this off to Kidder. I'd like to do one more design for the gaming side and then hold a vote to determine which design is preferred by the community. If you have further suggestions, please let me know as I'll try to be posting the last iteration of the gaming side this weekend. Again, thank you for being patient with me this year. Was hoping to get the designs to Kidder by the start of July, but it's now looking like it will be beginning of August(so probably likely a little late for West). Sorry about that, and I'll try to be more prepared for next year.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Hey all, Nfan here again! This marks the final iteration of the gaming side. You can find that below.
    gaming v4:
    ovau64uk1d7u.png

Also, as per the last post that I made, I have also made a voting form for which all of you can decide which version of the whale and controllers get into the final version. Located here: https://forms.gle/s3G63r6MgPne1D4A9 I will leave this up until July 29th(about a week's time).
    That's it for today. Have a good one.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    The voting form is now closed. Thank you to everyone who voted. Kcoin has been emailed and I am waiting on confirmation from them. I shall update all of you once I hear more.
    Thanks,
    Nfan10039

ajor19ru24j1.png
    What was the final tally?

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

The final results were
    40% of people said they wanted option 7 for the whales
    25% of people said they wanted option 5 for the whales
    10% for each of option 2, 4 and 8 for the whales
    5% for option 1 of the whales

36.8% for option 2 of the controllers
    31.6% for option 3 of the controllers
    26.3% for option 1 of the controllers
    5.3% for option 4 of the controllers

Kcoin has also emailed me the proof of concept for these designs and I am once again including this in a spoiler. Please let me know if you see any inconsistencies by August 5th.
    Thanks to everyone who participated in the voting and I look forward to getting these coins out to all of you later this month(hopefully!)
    8c18ukd55s0i.jpg

ajor19ru24j1.png
    With all the different varieties that were created, I'm actually really digging this combo. Thanks for all the hard work @Nfan10039 !

• rotaerc4rotaerc4 Registered User new member
    Is it too late to get a coin?

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I don't think orders have started. I assume we're gonna get it after PAX

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    They could still come before PAX. Just depends on if this happens this week or not :)

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

edited August 2019
    Have yet to start the order form. I have not heard back from Kcorp regarding their pricing scheme and whether it has changed from last year. Once I hear something, the order form will go live.

Nfan10039 on
    ajor19ru24j1.png