As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Panarin contract is 11.6M per year for 7 years... holy shit that's a load of money

Duchene signed in Nashville at 8M AAV / 7 years. 28M in signing bonus.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bobrovsky to the Panthers for 7 years x $10 million per. Good luck with that one in a few years.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Spezza signed a 1-year with Toronto for 700k. That should be a good signing for a young team that kind of scares me.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Spezza signed a 1-year with Toronto for 700k. That should be a good signing for a young team that kind of scares me.

Yes, playing for his childhood team could well inspire Spezza to finish his career with a bang. Low risk, high reward signing by the Leafs I have to say.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    Canadiens signed Aho to an offer sheet, and it’s not even outlandish. No way the Hurricanes don’t match. $8.454 million per for 5 years. Cowards.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    While it's cool to see someone actually use an offer sheet, Montreal really half-assed it, and Carolina is laughing

I would absolutely wait the full seven days, forcing the Canadiens to sit. It would be the Jerk thing to do.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    That Panarin contract 100% anchors the Marner talks. It makes 8x10M almost an insult (depending who you ask)

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    That Panarin contract 100% anchors the Marner talks. It makes 8x10M almost an insult (depending who you ask)

the Panarin contract does? Panarin is better, and a UFA.

If anything anchors it it's the Aho contract, as Aho is a direct comparable in terms of age and contract status, a Center (worth more) and better goal scorer (also worth more)

Why does it matter if Carolina takes their sweet time to match Montréal's offer? I must be missing something here.

Jean wrote: »
    Why does it matter if Carolina takes their sweet time to match Montréal's offer? I must be missing something here.

It matters less after that tweet, because of course Carolina is matching

but technically Montreal currently has $8.5M of cap space in limbo, and if they were to go sign someone else with that space, and then Carolina opted not to match, they'd be way over cap

edited July 2019
    Jayricho on
    holy shit what a trade

I wonder if Sakic didn't think he'd want to pay to re-sign Barrie next summer? In Kadri the Avs are getting 3 years of a player that would be a 2C on 3/4th of teams in the league at a steal of $4.5M, and Rosen is really promising - SHL rookie of the year a couple years ago, and probably the best defenseman in the AHL last year when he was healthy.

I'm going to miss Naz though
    not as much as I would have before he cost the team two first round series' with stupid suspensions, but still

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Barrie is going to cost a fortune to re-sign in a year. This lessens our backend offense for a season, but I like it longterm. Especially if Makar can step up.

And I liked Kerfoot, but he was infuriating to watch. Pass, pass, pass, still passing, and the puck is turned over. If he has a killer sniper finisher he might do fine.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Barrie is going to cost a fortune to re-sign in a year. This lessens our backend offense for a season, but I like it longterm. Especially if Makar can step up.

And I liked Kerfoot, but he was infuriating to watch. Pass, pass, pass, still passing, and the puck is turned over. If he has a killer sniper finisher he might do fine.

so you're saying the Leafs should put him on Auston Matthews' wing?

hm, the Leafs defense contracts past this season look a little... sparse
    49g7701yg4xf.png

That said, even if they let Barrie walk, there are two top-4 D prospects in the AHL that might be ready later this upcoming season, and should be ready for the one after that

In addition to Makar, it sounds like Timmins is on track to finally get back on the ice. Then there’s Byram, who I’m sure will be up a lot sooner than later. But man I love Barrie and it hurts to see him go.

Wish I could be one of those guys with no attachment to players.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »

So does Colorado actually have to pay up 5.5m for this, or is it just held against their cap for a season?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited July 2019
    Brody wrote: »

So does Colorado actually have to pay up 5.5m for this, or is it just held against their cap for a season?

that's awkwardly worded, his full salary is $5.5, they're paying half of it and the Leafs are paying the other half, and they're splitting the cap hit

Unless there's signing bonuses already paid. Let me check.

edit:

No signing bonus, but his salary this year is actually $6m. So each team is going to pay him $3m over the course of the season, and he'll count for $2.75m against each team's cap.

UnbrokenEva on
    Remember folks, it could always be worse. You could have a GM patting himself on the back for having 3 of each left and right-handed defensemen.

strong contender for 2019s version of "We're a team."

“We’re a team” is timeless.

I see you haven't read Fenton's quote about Zuccarello yet

Sorry for the post spam but these are all separate thoughts.

After all the positive press I heard/read about Sheldon Keefe, I'm a bit surprised the Leafs signed Hakstol as an assistant.

March 22nd: Senators owner Eugene Melnyk takes a shot at the Toronto Maple Leafs, claiming that when they were building the team, "somebody forgot about defense"
    May 23rd: Senators hire Leafs Assistant Coach in charge of defense/penalty kill DJ Smith to be their Head Coach
    July 1st. Senators trade for and sign the two most over-played players on the Leafs defense from the year before

Fenton's quote is just weird rather than pathetic. Between that and his comments about smiling every time a potential draft pick they met with was taller than him... he's a weird dude and the Leafs really need to fleece him in a trade.

As for Keefe, it seems he'd rather be Head Coach of his own team, even in the AHL than someone else's Assistant Coach, at least for now. There's a lot of pressure on Babcock this year, and Keefe is waiting his turn (for now, at least)

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I'm guessing the joke with 6 defensemen is that you're spending a lot of money on players who aren't optimally scorers?

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    I'm guessing the joke with 6 defensemen is that your spending a lot of money on players who aren't optimally scorers?

the joke is that some of those defensemen are really, really bad (Jack Johnson and Erik Gudbranson in particular) which Rutherford is very much in denial about, and the best he can say about his D is that there's 3 of each handedness which... okay sure.

Moving away from defense, Brandon Tanev at 6x$3.5m is almost as insane as the Jack Johnson signing. GMJR is signing bad players to long-term deals, and then trading away actually great players like Kessel to stay under the cap. Absolutely incredible stuff.

Mugsley wrote: »
    I see you haven't read Fenton's quote about Zuccarello yet
    Here it is, for everyone’s enjoyment

anyway the Leafs are apparently going all in on "you don't need to play defense if you're always in the other team's zone" and I am excited to watch it. They now have the #3 and #7 top scoring defensemen from last year and the idea of a Rielly-Barrie pairing is kind of terrifying

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

In addition to Makar, it sounds like Timmins is on track to finally get back on the ice. Then there’s Byram, who I’m sure will be up a lot sooner than later. But man I love Barrie and it hurts to see him go.

Wish I could be one of those guys with no attachment to players.

Yeah Byram will be a stud. I have no expectations for Timmins, he was injured all year. And I had the awesome chance to watch the Eagles farm team just an hour north of me. Kaut will be ready soon on offense. He looks solid.

Barrie will be a blow but man I'd expect him to seek a huge contract right when we'd need to lock up Rantanen.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Also best of luck to Varly on the Islanders. His style just couldn't keep up with our run and gun play. He could have a second renaissance with a more defensive minded team.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I'm guessing the joke with 6 defensemen is that your spending a lot of money on players who aren't optimally scorers?

the joke is that some of those defensemen are really, really bad (Jack Johnson and Erik Gudbranson in particular) which Rutherford is very much in denial about, and the best he can say about his D is that there's 3 of each handedness which... okay sure.

Moving away from defense, Brandon Tanev at 6x$3.5m is almost as insane as the Jack Johnson signing. GMJR is signing bad players to long-term deals, and then trading away actually great players like Kessel to stay under the cap. Absolutely incredible stuff.

Like, he's Tanner Pearson, but instead of running away because his 2x3.75, we signed him for 6 years at the same price.

And now we're going to probably move Bryan rust, who is also Tanner Pearson/Brandon tanev, but we need cap space because we signed tanev

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Unfortunately Luongo's cap recapture was not enough to prevent the Canucks from signing Tyler Myers to a long term deal. Love to pay a middle-pair guy who's mediocre in his own zone and can't run a power play like he's one of the 30 best defensemen in the league until he turns 34.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Jean wrote: »

It matters less after that tweet, because of course Carolina is matching

but technically Montreal currently has $8.5M of cap space in limbo, and if they were to go sign someone else with that space, and then Carolina opted not to match, they'd be way over cap

While it is a very good chance that Carolina does match, it is not 100%. Aho is going to get paid $21M by this time next year in signing bonuses. The revenue that Carolina had last season was $21M so it really depends on whether the owner wants to cough up $11.3M now and another $9.87M next July 1st. Montreal can afford it but Carolina may not, especially if they go to a lockout next year and that signing bonus still has to be paid.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27

also, I'm curious where that figure for Carolina's revenue comes from. I've seen it or similar quoted a few times but no idea of the original source. Either way, Dundon is a billionaire who bought the Canes when they were losing money so a $21M investment on top of the $420M he already spent, to try to keep the team competitive and the growing fanbase excited is not a hard ask for him. Also it may be $21M over the next year, but then it's only $21M over the next 4 after that.

just looking at average ticket price from 3 years ago ($63) and home attendance figures (587,222) would give revenue just from ticket sales of roughly $36M, and that's ignoring that ticket prices probably went up, not counting playoff ticket sales, league revenue sharing, TV deals, merchandise (they sold a whole lot of Bunch of Jerks shirts this year) and who knows what else. Hell, they own the arena too, so in-arena advertising is theirs as well.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Also, expansion fee. That's been a big one the last couple years

League expansion fee is also 'non-game revenue' or whatever it is classified as, so it doesn't go into salary cap calculations so it's just money straight into the owners pockets.

Burtletoy on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Unfortunately Luongo's cap recapture was not enough to prevent the Canucks from signing Tyler Myers to a long term deal. Love to pay a middle-pair guy who's mediocre in his own zone and can't run a power play like he's one of the 30 best defensemen in the league until he turns 34.

i'm not too worried. as a "physical presence" he'll be an easy trade after the first few years if he doesn't fit and he's as terrible as all that, like gudbranson was. i don't think he will be. one of the blogs ran an analysis today that suggests his advanced stats have been dragged way down by kulikov, and he's much better with other partners. he can also score goals: he had 9 last year, one less than edler and 4 more than hutton - our next best goal scorer on defence. he also did that with half of edler's powerplay time.

even as a pure depth pick-up i think it's fine, but this could wind up a little more important than that

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    bsjezz wrote: »
    shalmelo wrote: »

i'm not too worried. as a "physical presence" he'll be an easy trade after the first few years if he doesn't fit and he's as terrible as all that, like gudbranson was. i don't think he will be. one of the blogs ran an analysis today that suggests his advanced stats have been dragged way down by kulikov, and he's much better with other partners. he can also score goals: he had 9 last year, one less than edler and 6 more than hutton - our next best goal scorer on defence(!). he also did that with half of edler's powerplay time.

even as a pure depth pick-up i think it's fine, but this could wind up a little more important than that

yeah, Leafs fans are trying to talk ourselves into Cody Ceci not being that bad, too

This discussion has been closed.