As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Outer Wilds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/aI__M3Wt6cc

This video made me realise something really amazing about the game
    there is nothing stopping you from "completing the game" on your first loop, except the fact that you don't know what to do yet. the only thing that updates in loops is your knowledge and understanding. And i sort of got that, but it's still really cool

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/aI__M3Wt6cc

This video made me realise something really amazing about the game
    there is nothing stopping you from "completing the game" on your first loop, except the fact that you don't know what to do yet. the only thing that updates in loops is your knowledge and understanding. And i sort of got that, but it's still really cool
    the's an achievement for beating the game in your first try.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Tackling the quantum stuff right now, it very nearly broke my brain, but I'm most of the way through I think
    First off I had a fun moment when I went back to Giant's Deep

"So this signal is on the other side of this storm, eh?"

"Oh"

The second level of the puzzle is what I spent most of the loop tearing my hair out, I figured out that looking at stuff means it stays put, but it took a forlorn look at the corner of the screen and "Equip Little Scout" for it to hit me. The remaining floors were much easier after that.

As for the Ash Twin section, I barely made it through that cave system before either sand or lack of oxygen killed me and I was already freaked out by everything appearing behind me. Switching the light off to travel with the shard was a cool, eerie moment, though.

Question about the quantum towers
    So I know about observing and travelling with quantum items now, is that all I need for the Brittle Hollow tower? Typing this I remembered the poem on Timber Hearth, but I think that was it for that planet. I briefly went back to Brittle before calling it for the night but I'm still stumped.
    this is a real spoiler for the brittle hollow quantum tower, and how to get to it
    That tower is a red herring in terms of how you get there. you do not need quantum knowledge to "ascend" the tower, you just need to...wait
    Ah, I see. The solution made sense in hindsight and is clever, but I don't know if I would have figured that out on my own. I did figure out the quantum moon and the sixth location though, god this game is cool.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Tackling the quantum stuff right now, it very nearly broke my brain, but I'm most of the way through I think

"Oh"

The second level of the puzzle is what I spent most of the loop tearing my hair out, I figured out that looking at stuff means it stays put, but it took a forlorn look at the corner of the screen and "Equip Little Scout" for it to hit me. The remaining floors were much easier after that.

As for the Ash Twin section, I barely made it through that cave system before either sand or lack of oxygen killed me and I was already freaked out by everything appearing behind me. Switching the light off to travel with the shard was a cool, eerie moment, though.

So I know about observing and travelling with quantum items now, is that all I need for the Brittle Hollow tower? Typing this I remembered the poem on Timber Hearth, but I think that was it for that planet. I briefly went back to Brittle before calling it for the night but I'm still stumped.
    this is a real spoiler for the brittle hollow quantum tower, and how to get to it
    That tower is a red herring in terms of how you get there. you do not need quantum knowledge to "ascend" the tower, you just need to...wait
    Ah, I see. The solution made sense in hindsight and is clever, but I don't know if I would have figured that out on my own. I did figure out the quantum moon and the sixth location though, god this game is cool.
    i generally think that puzzle in particular and the end puzzle are both "eh...just look it up" level puzzles. I think the quantum moon/sixth location is probably the best climactic series of puzzles that make you feel like a brain genius in the game.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I actually found the tower (too late to explore it) around the white hole long before even going to Brittle Hollow.

broken image link
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

"Oh"

i generally think that puzzle in particular and the end puzzle are both "eh...just look it up" level puzzles. I think the quantum moon/sixth location is probably the best climactic series of puzzles that make you feel like a brain genius in the game.
    When people say the end puzzle, what do they mean? The whole sequence or some part?

captaink wrote: »

"Oh"

When people say the end puzzle, what do they mean? The whole sequence or some part?
    in my mind it's the sequence of figuring out

how to get to the core
    what to do when you get there
    then getting the core to the ship

you don't need to look up the last bit, that will be obvious, but i just felt the last sequence was lacking in execution.

It felt cool when I did it, and the music is doing a lot of the work there, though.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Interloper spoilers
    Hoo boy, I expected that I was going to find some more corpses when I travelled through the core, but I didn't expect to find the origin of Ghost Matter and its horrible consequences.

Interloper spoilers
    Hoo boy, I expected that I was going to find some more corpses when I travelled through the core, but I didn't expect to find the origin of Ghost Matter and its horrible consequences.

End game spoilers. I think if you’ve explored the interloper and given your other posts this won’t be a spoiler, but feel free to ignore this until the game is over. It’s about the nature of the game/universe.
    The interloper is easily the worst gut punch in the game. At least for me. It seems built to finally show you that you can’t stop the super nova.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Interloper spoilers

End game spoilers. I think if you’ve explored the interloper and given your other posts this won’t be a spoiler, but feel free to ignore this until the game is over. It’s about the nature of the game/universe.
    The interloper is easily the worst gut punch in the game. At least for me. It seems built to finally show you that you can’t stop the super nova.
    I didn't really take it that way, just, "well fuck I guess I know what happened to the nomai now

Finding their ship in the bramble is what made it sink in to me that there was no stopping the supernova

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Interloper spoilers

I didn't really take it that way, just, "well fuck I guess I know what happened to the nomai now

Finding their ship in the bramble is what made it sink in to me that there was no stopping the supernova
    Same for me on the interloper, but the supernova didn't sink in for me until I got to the sun station - I was still holding out hope that the nomai had caused the supernova and I could stop it and then written out clear as day "There's no way we could have ever caused a supernova" just crushed it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Interloper spoilers

Same for me on the interloper, but the supernova didn't sink in for me until I got to the sun station - I was still holding out hope that the nomai had caused the supernova and I could stop it and then written out clear as day "There's no way we could have ever caused a supernova" just crushed it.
    yeah it was the sun station that made my heart sink. I'd been hoping it was the station doing it, but the moment I saw it was wrecked I just knew it wasn't going to be the case, and details there and at the High Energy Lab solidified that.

I kept hoping that maybe the vessel was able to stop it but... not the case

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the sun station just kinda made me go, well what the fuck is causing it if not this thing

And then the ship just made it clear that, oh. It's happening everywhere.

Which made it clear that the only possible hope was at the Eye, and given that it seemed like a misunderstood natural phenomenon at best and maliciously manipulative at worst, it didn't seem hopeful

the sun station just kinda made me go, well what the fuck is causing it if not this thing

Which made it clear that the only possible hope was at the Eye, and given that it seemed like a misunderstood natural phenomenon at best and maliciously manipulative at worst, it didn't seem hopeful
    wait what bit at the vessel made it seem like it was happening to every star?

I liked that sort-of twist. Several places you can find logs about them trying to cause a supernova, if it's possible/wise/ethical. You're sure their hubris damned them. And then you learn, no, they couldn't even get close to causing one. And the ghost matter/interloper was what actually did them in. And THEN it turns out their supernova-powered system is the only thing that's making your whole loop possible.

Yeah, I feel like I'm getting close but I haven't put all the pieces together just yet so I'm going to keep those spoiler tags closed. Soon though, soon.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

there's wall writing in the upper part of the control room about how it was sent specifically because the stars are dying

the ship is still receiving incoming messages from the nomai, it just can't transmit anymore

Sometime before you got there the nomai sent a message explaining that the universe was ending, and they're putting out the call for all nomai to come join up together so they can see each other before everything ends

And then they also talk about an ancient legend about a nomai ship that went missing and was never heard from again, which is the ship you're in

edited July 2019

the ship is still receiving incoming messages from the nomai, it just can't transmit anymore

Sometime before you got there the nomai sent a message explaining that the universe was ending, and they're putting out the call for all nomai to come join up together so they can see each other before everything ends

And then they also talk about an ancient legend about a nomai ship that went missing and was never heard from again, which is the ship you're in
    Yeah they know the galaxy is dying because the rate of supernovas is increasing. Also you can see this by watching the stars. There's a lot of too-bright glows out there.

captaink on

oof I must've missed that context entirely

I missed the context that they were current day nomai, until you talk to the explorer on the hourglass twins. It’s one of your conversations options. “I found current nomai saying the universe is dying”

They then freak the fuck out and won’t talk to you anymore as they look over their research.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

I missed the context that they were current day nomai, until you talk to the explorer on the hourglass twins. It’s one of your conversations options. “I found current nomai saying the universe is dying”

They then freak the fuck out and won’t talk to you anymore as they look over their research.
    Oh fuck I never talked to him again after finding that that's awesome

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

If you talk to them very late in the cycle
    they have figured this out themselves, by seeing the stars in the sky vanishing just over the past 20 minutes. They also freak out over this and won't talk to you anymore.

Aistan on
    Dark Bramble
    Finally revisited this place, now it makes a lot more sense, relatively speaking. Anglerfish are a pain - I know their secret, but I've messed up a couple of times and it's a moderate time-sink getting back there. I've considered bailing out, but I don't have confidence in that plan letting me survive much longer.

• AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    OK so I just started playing this and I have no idea what happened? I think there might have been a bug.
    I was out in space for the first time, and I locked onto what I guess is a comet, The Interloper. I foolishly try to get close to it with the auotpilot, but after a little while it seems like it's just too fast, so I abort. And I start looking around, to get back to the planets and stuff, and everythings sort of there but not there? Like I can see the Sun and it's pretty far away, but then it sort of just blinks off like a graphical glitch with no animation. My ship can still detect it and lock onto it, I can still hear everyone's music with the scope, but I just have a black void there. And after a little while I guess I die because I'm back at the base of the launch tower. I know this game is about loops and the sun but I just, cannot figure out what the heck happened.

ZD98Zka.png
    That sounds like a bug, yeah

• AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Cool game though

ZD98Zka.png
    Given how many interactions there are, I'm impressed by how few bugs I encountered.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Yean, I had a single desktop crash, but I can't think of anything other than that.

Ashcroft wrote: »
    OK so I just started playing this and I have no idea what happened? I think there might have been a bug.
    I was out in space for the first time, and I locked onto what I guess is a comet, The Interloper. I foolishly try to get close to it with the auotpilot, but after a little while it seems like it's just too fast, so I abort. And I start looking around, to get back to the planets and stuff, and everythings sort of there but not there? Like I can see the Sun and it's pretty far away, but then it sort of just blinks off like a graphical glitch with no animation. My ship can still detect it and lock onto it, I can still hear everyone's music with the scope, but I just have a black void there. And after a little while I guess I die because I'm back at the base of the launch tower. I know this game is about loops and the sun but I just, cannot figure out what the heck happened.

For the Interloper, the best time to catch it is very early in a cycle, when it's coming in toward the the sun. I think it comes back one more time late.

ZMFJSS0h.jpg
    This is the picture of the actual sun and ISS but also an Outer Wilds screenshot

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    hmmmm i might get that outer wilds ventures patch...pretty good patch right there

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Brittle Hollow tower
    If you're extremely cool you can also slingshot yourself around the black hole just right and fling yourself up to the second floor.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The timer hasn't been an issue really until just now when I KNEW time was almost up, but I found a new scroll that needed a reader and then I found a new reader with a scroll in it already so had to read the 2nd new scroll and then...game over.

I need waypoints to get back to places....

Xeddicus on
    edited September 2019
    Are you actually supposed to land on (location spoiler):
    Sun Station? I've flown into/been run over by the sun every time so far.

Xeddicus on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Are you actually supposed to land on (location spoiler):
    Sun Station? I've had flown into/been run over by the sun every time so far.
    There's an easier way to get there. Keep doing stuff and you'll eventually get a clue what is it.

edited September 2019
    Well, I found the other way, but it has it's own issues:
    Anyway to remove the thorns? Or just get good with the crappy jetpack? Maybe get there sooner before the sand is all gone?

Edit: Getting there ASAP kinda worked, but the damn sand went down as I was over the thorns so probably ended up as beat up. Oh well.

And of course I end up in the sun again since the first room is very underwhelming...

Xeddicus on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well, I found the other way, but it has it's own issues:
    Anyway to remove the thorns? Or just get good with the crappy jetpack? Maybe get there sooner before the sand is all gone?

Edit: Getting there ASAP kinda worked, but the damn sand went down as I was over the thorns so probably ended up as beat up. Oh well.

And of course I end up in the sun again since the first room is very underwhelming...
    Jetpacking the whole way is possible and what I ended up doing, but I believe the intended route is to run over the only partially-drained sand, yeah.