As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I see the nazi loving fucks are trying a new attack on AOC that she was verbally abusive to those poor CBP personnel. Man fuck those guys, you are treating people worse than the taliban you should be verbally abused.

These fuckers are committing human rights violations, and they're complaining about AOC being mean to them? I can't even be sarcastic about it, it's pissing me off so much.

They can all get bent

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Propublica has an article about a BPD facebook page which looks probably like you'd expect.
    https://www.propublica.org/article/secret-border-patrol-facebook-group-agents-joke-about-migrant-deaths-post-sexist-memes#

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It may or may not surprise everyone to learn that Trump tweeted about an hour ago that his administration is in fact "moving forward" on including the citizenship question in the census, contradicting comments from his own commerce secretary and the department of justice. And also in violation of the Supreme Court, I guess?

I know we're discouraged from posting every single dumb tweet the guy manages to shake out of his pant leg, and it could just be more blather for the base, but it seems like something that's worth keeping an eye on.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Oh no, she treated the concentration camp guards badly! the humanity

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I see the nazi loving fucks are trying a new attack on AOC that she was verbally abusive to those poor CBP personnel. Man fuck those guys, you are treating people worse than the taliban you should be verbally abused.

And, as pointed out before, the accusation afaik is coming from a guy who's tried this kind of shit before and been caught lying (he was apparently the "prayer rugs in the dessert" guy).

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Got to make sure only Real Americans are counted and that brown people are reminded of their place.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    It may or may not surprise everyone to learn that Trump tweeted about an hour ago that his administration is in fact "moving forward" on including the citizenship question in the census, contradicting comments from his own commerce secretary and the department of justice. And also in violation of the Supreme Court, I guess?

I know we're discouraged from posting every single dumb tweet the guy manages to shake out of his pant leg, and it could just be more blather for the base, but it seems like somethat that worth keeping an eye on.

I think he's just trying to save face with the maga rubes.

That is assuming any of this is really happening, because he ended one of the census tweets with "USA! USA! USA!" and that doesn't sound like a real thing a person would do; so I might just be in a coma imagining all of this.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This is senile dementia at work. His own administration has already said that they are printing the census without the question. He's closing the gates after the racist horse is already out the door.

The man is not right in the head.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Well gee Chuck maybe you'd have some leverage for this if you hadn't just fucking voted to fund these ass clowns.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Hey, Schumer.

You know what would've been great leverage in a situation like this?

A $4.6 billion funding bill.

You wouldn't happen to know what happened with that, would you?

edit: beat.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Schumer is going to do exactly nothing to make that happen.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    This is senile dementia at work. His own administration has already said that they are printing the census without the question. He's closing the gates after the racist horse is already out the door.

His or mine, though

• Options

Meh. Possibly? But Trump has always existed mostly in his own reality. This is not a new thing. Ironically (as no less a mind as Lex Luthor observed) as President he actually has less ability to dictate what truth is, and more people willing to call him out on it.

That said, he is likely (or has already begun) to go directly from childhood to senility without ever having to grow up in the middle.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

I know we're discouraged from posting every single dumb tweet the guy manages to shake out of his pant leg, and it could just be more blather for the base, but it seems like something that's worth keeping an eye on.

The census is already getting printed without it. It's too late unless they pull a rabbit out of their ass.

Edit: beat'd

Scooter on
  • Options
    Scooter wrote: »

The census is already getting printed without it. It's too late unless they pull a rabbit out of their ass.

Or put a flyer in the envelope...

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

SCOTUS already ruled "nope" on this. So.....

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    They can't add the question to the original form but they can put it on its own form and send it with the census.

They can also add the question to the online census.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    They can't add the question to the original form but they can put it on its own form and send it with the census.

Are you spitballing or is this being reported as a possibility?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

SCOTUS already ruled "nope" on this. So.....

So, which is it?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The intent of the census question was to suppress the minority response rate by instilling fear of government retaliation.

Spreading misinformation about the inclusion of that question is still an effective way to realize that suppression.

He knows what he's doing.

I mean, as much as he ever knows what he's doing.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Are you spitballing or is this being reported as a possibility?

Spitballing. And also not a possibility. The Census is the same for everyone

• Options
    chosenofsotekchosenofsotek Registered User regular

The judge in the Maryland case is about to have a call with DOJ lawyers.

Lawrence Hurley is a SCOTUS correspondent for Reuters

• Options
    So is this a good thing for those of us who don't want that on there or a bad thing?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    So is this a good thing for those of us who don't want that on there or a bad thing?

It's a good thing, because the muddy waters right now are just as effective as actually having the question on there.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

It's a good thing, because the muddy waters right now are just as effective as actually having the question on there.

Also we might get some choice quotes from judge along the lines of "What did I just tell you not to fucking do?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Also judges of all political stripes do not like folks who just ignore court orders. Pretty much all judges agree folks should do what judges say. (Weird, huh?)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Well, hard to say if it's good or bad, leaning toward good, but the judge also isn't making the call open to the press, so.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    My understanding is Judge Hazel has told the DOJ several times that he wants it in writing that the citizenship question will not be on the census. Can't imagine he's too pleased by Trump's tweets.

• Options
    This is also an Obama Appointee, so there's that as well.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    My understanding is DOJ told the Judge the census was being printed w/o the question. Then the tweet. Then the judge asked for a call to basically go hey wtf what's your actual position.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Well, hard to say if it's good or bad, leaning toward good, but the judge also isn't making the call open to the press, so.

Calling a party after the ruling is made doesn't happen a lot. This means the judge is probably pissed.

Also, calls like this shouldn't be open to the press; they are the equivalent of in camera proceedings.

• Options

Looks like Trump's tweets are causing everyone to scramble.

Hansi Lo Wang is an NPR correspondent covering the census

• Options
    This is where Trump's dumb fucking mouth hopefully gets him in trouble. Like you can't be ordered not to do something and then claim "fuck it we're doing it anyway" and not like expect those courts to just go "lol I guess we tried"

He tried to save face with his dumb fan base and hopefully his admin gets fucking burnt from it. Or are we do another "his tweets aren't official policy until they are"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    This is where Trump's dumb fucking mouth hopefully gets him in trouble. Like you can't be ordered not to do something and then claim "fuck it we're doing it anyway" and not like expect those courts to just go "lol I guess we tried"

He tried to save face with his dumb fan base and hopefully his admin gets fucking burnt from it. Or are we do another "his tweets aren't official policy until they are"

A judge actually scheduling a call probably means "oh, you can just ignore that" is probably not going to fly.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Not to be a downer, but if Trump decides "fuck you, were' doing it anyway" and tells his admin to ignore the ruling, what can actually be done at that point? The Senate ain't going to impeach him and the DOJ has outright stated he can't be indicted.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    My understanding of the situation isn't that Trump is saying "We're doing it anyway." Not yet, at least.

News broke that the Departments of Commerce and Justice were each dropping their pursuits of getting the question on the census (probably because there's no way to fit it on while meeting the judge's "it can't be racist in nature" criteria). So Trump tweeted that the news of dropping the fight to get the question on was fake. Which is to say, he still wants to get it on there but hasn't declared "fuck the courts" just yet.

He's tantruming, which is funny in a way as always, but now we see how it precipitates down through our country's institutions that the judge is like "SIGH, let's make this really official because the president is filling his diaper."

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Not to be a downer, but if Trump decides "fuck you, were' doing it anyway" and tells his admin to ignore the ruling, what can actually be done at that point? The Senate ain't going to impeach him and the DOJ has outright stated he can't be indicted.

Contempt of court.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

Probably nothing directly to POTUS, but anyone involved with the census that contributes to creating/disseminating copies of the census questionnaire with that question included could face prosecution.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Probably nothing directly to POTUS, but anyone involved with the census that contributes to creating/disseminating copies of the census questionnaire with that question included could face prosecution.
    It's one of the easier positions he's had RE: pushing to do an illegal thing but other people are technically the ones taking the fall for him. Though it seems like, in this instance, they aren't willing to try.

Unless Barr gets involved on the DOJ end of things.

This discussion has been closed.