As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA!Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
edited September 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
So there have been a lot of Marvel movies. They're overall pretty dang great. They're broken up into phases, like this (links go to trailers):

Phase 1:

LqO37wm.jpgQWsUCea.jpg11A8ml3.jpg7aEVTIu.jpgw3Xwgi8.jpgRO86zaL.jpg

Phase 2:

7XU2ky9.jpgPaxPejz.jpgI1gB5PC.jpgADRCjtK.jpgRiubaEH.jpgpBArNLY.jpg

Phase 3:
SopMFqM.jpgmd7JFee.jpgDDtqHva.jpgIL24nmj.jpgPMAABhj.pngPyxaQ9P.jpgaaKC4fH.jpg5KMnAnW.jpgMw3tMYS.jpg

Upcoming!

DqwBLJH.jpgQvEgE2B.jpg

April 26, 2019=========================July 5, 2019

ChaosHat on

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I really hope we hear about a MCU boxset coming soon. I haven't bought any MCU movies aside from Infinity War, and while I'm probably gonna snag Endgame when it drops, I'd rather get them all at once if I can.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I really hope we hear about a MCU boxset coming soon. I haven't bought any MCU movies aside from Infinity War, and while I'm probably gonna snag Endgame when it drops, I'd rather get them all at once if I can.

I feel like they could release that around Christmas. Gives the die hards a chance to buy Endgame separately here in a couple months and then oops super deluxe billion disc box set that's packaged in an infinity gauntlet.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    There are Phase 1/2/3(part 1) sets (up to Ragnarok), and a ten years collection (up to Guardians Vol 2).

Phase 3 part 2 will presumably need Endgame and Far From Home, too.

I wouldn't hold out for a single box containing everything until they finally stop making them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'd guess that the phase 3 part 2 boxset (at least the blu-ray edition I've been getting) will be next year and not this year. Are they going to want to cannibalise nice and pricey Endgame blu-ray sales by offering it much cheaper in a boxset the same year it's released?

• Options
    You're probably right but I'm trying to give them my monies now damnit

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Looking at the three phases I noticed something. It's strange that civil war is part of the same phase as endgame. It seems that phase 4 should have started with infinity war. If guardians 3 had been scheduled just a little earlier and dealt with the aftermath of endgame on a galactic scale it would give full closure to the infinity saga. The movie could tie up the lose ends with thor, guardians, gamora, given more development to captain marvel, and hinted at earth's new role in the cosmos and what threats lie ahead. We'd be pretty much at a clean slate with the only avengers really left being spiderman, captain marvel, dr strange, and black panther. Because the first thing guardians 3 is going to have to deal with is the galaxy post decimation/reversal and thor/guardians/gamora being directly involved in it. (or worse, it comes out in 2021 and they just hand wave it away)

But most importantly, we'd then have 4 symmetrical phases with 6 movies each instead of 6,6, and 11.

furbat on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    I'm planning on waiting for a box set with everything from Iron Man 1 to Endgame, maybe with Far From Home in there too. That feels like a good, complete box set to me, that I won't feel like is missing anything by not having future movies included.

I'd also be shocked if it isn't out by Christmas this year. They can release Endgame on home video in September, FFH in October/November, then the Infinity Saga (or whatever they want to call it) in December.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Winter SOldier is the best Stand Alone MCU movie of the lot,

but damn does Black Widow bother me on that poster.

Also, Avengers 1 is by far the worst poster of the bunch.

Ninjeff on
  • Options
    Ninjeff wrote: »

Iron Man 2 has the worst poster

Note how ScarJo is the only one with her body in frame, so they can have her butt prominently in view

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »

Iron Man 2 has the worst poster

Note how ScarJo is the only one with her body in frame, so they can have her butt prominently in view

I mean, that IS Russia's ass.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Wasn't Widow facing the opposite direction on the original poster for Avengers? I remember that being a thing.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I also remember a fan poster that had all the men showing their asses while Widow was facing front and being looking badass, but I can't find it now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I also remember a fan poster that had all the men showing their asses while Widow was facing front and being looking badass, but I can't find it now.

https://www.deviantart.com/kevinbolk/art/Avengers-Booty-Ass-emble-270937785

sig.gif
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

https://www.deviantart.com/kevinbolk/art/Avengers-Booty-Ass-emble-270937785

I always wonder why the Hulk is trying to goatse the camera with his pants on

I also just noticed Black Widow's side-eye. Pretty good.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    A friend of mine who knows I've been waiting forever on Mysterio to show up in a Spider Man movie told me that if there was a scale of "Getting A Character Right" where 1 is the Phoenix in Fox's X-Men movies and 10 is RDJ as Tony Stark/Ironman that Far From Homes Mysterio sails to past that to a number you can't quantify because he's so fucking Mysterio that you don't even know what's what.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Got around to watching Into the Spiderverse, does that go in this thread?

Anyway, it was great. The after-credits scene had me dyin', and my roommate looked confused because I guess he somehow missed that reference.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    That's definitely impressive because RDJ has actually shaped the comic character over his run of the character.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'm about to leave to watch Spider-Man!

• Options
    I just came back from watching Spider-Man, so there's some brand synergy going on here.
    Before I get any warnings, does spoiler talk about it go here, or in another thread I haven't spotted?

(tldr: It's good, go see it.)

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm so confused why it's coming out today. Has Marvel said anything about it?

I've got tickets for Thursday, and remain slightly baffled that it's not for a pre-release showing.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

I've got tickets for Thursday, and remain slightly baffled that it's not for a pre-release showing.

Sony have been releasing films on a Tuesday to pump the opening "weekend" figures for ages. I first noticed it with Spectre I think

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Yeah I'm going to see it tonight, I'm excited. It's way easier to get tickets on a Tuesday than Friday

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Got around to watching Into the Spiderverse, does that go in this thread?

Anyway, it was great. The after-credits scene had me dyin', and my roommate looked confused because I guess he somehow missed that reference.

It's such a great movie, and I'm super happy it won the Oscar. Absolutely deserved it.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Sony have been releasing films on a Tuesday to pump the opening "weekend" figures for ages. I first noticed it with Spectre I think

Even then, there's a holiday in the middle of the week, so they can get some long weekend viewers too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2019
    Can't release it Friday, nobody will see it early on Thursday night because it's a holiday.

Can't release it Thursday, it's a holiday.

Release it Wed? Sure! But we'll have 'midnight(7pm)' showings on Tuesday anyway.

Fuck it, release it Tuesday!

Either way, I've got tickets to see it for the second time tonight. The hardest part about seeing it a week early is not having pages of discussions to read afterward...

Also, it seems like spoilers are around everywhere today as reviews came out earlier, so watch out.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Eventually, they'll just have the release date rolled all the way back to the Friday before the movie officially premiers and we'll be back where we started.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Legacy wrote: »
    Either way, I've got tickets to see it for the second time tonight. The hardest part about seeing it a week early is not having pages of discussions to read afterward...
    I'll be happy to get the discussion started as soon as someone can tell me I wont get punished for doing so.

klemming on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Legacy wrote: »
    I'll be happy to get the discussion started as soon as someone can tell me I wont get punished for doing so.

Make/find a thread? The latest movie spoiler thing only applies here

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Make/find a thread? The latest movie spoiler thing only applies here
    Yeah, what 'thing' is that? I can't find the rule to know if I'm following it. I could give arguments that the thread title is either not to post FFH spoilers without being clear about them, or not post spoilers period.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Usually there's the general MCU thread with spoilers enforced for the newest movies, and then a specific movie thread. I can throw up a quick Spidey thread in a second here.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/227504/spider-man-far-from-home-the-arachnid-kid-returns-open-spoilers#latest

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    YOOOOOO SPIDER-MAN IS GOOD GO SEE IT MAKE SURE YOU STAY FOR THOSE STINGERS FOLKS!!!!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The general rule about spoilers in this thread is: obey the thread title. Latest movie discussion goes in spoilers or preferably in a different, movie specific, thread. When it's out of cinemas and the movie specific thread has dried up it'll go open spoilers, but there'll be a mod post about it.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I'm going to see Spiderman in RPX tomorrow at noon. I'm getting pretty hyped. Mysterio is one of my favorite characters. I can't wait to see how well they nail him.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Going with 4 friends tonight. T-Minus 6.5 hours and counting!

Seen the trailers, avoiding spoilers, though that one rumour from earlier (*looks pointedly at thread*) will have me waiting to see if it happens or not until well after the credits.

I'm half tempted to just go find out definitively so it's not left uncertain throughout the whole film.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm going to see Spiderman in RPX tomorrow at noon. I'm getting pretty hyped. Mysterio is one of my favorite characters. I can't wait to see how well they nail him.

they nailed it; one of the best villains of the mcu

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Finally saw Spider-Verse. It was pretty good! I was confused at first it seemed to be a sequel to the Raimi Spider-Mans, but that Peter Parker wasn't blonde so I'm guessing alternate universe where largely the same crap happened and Doc Ock is a chick. I kinda wish it had been live action with stuff like Spider-Ham Roger Rabbited in, but you'd lose 90% of the style this flick had going on. Anyhoo. 9 out of 10 radioactive spiders, would thwip again.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Had a thought last night about some character growth off screen before Endgame
    wonder how Pepper came to want an Iron Man suit? Tony has admittedly fucked up with gifts for her before (strawberries...) but it seemed like the Rescue suit is something she actually wanted? She's clearly adept at using it. Last we saw her in IW, she was disappointed that Tony had put a pseudo Arc Reactor thing on his chest again, so she still seemed pretty firmly anti-robot suit before the time skip.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Had a thought last night about some character growth off screen before Endgame
    wonder how Pepper came to want an Iron Man suit? Tony has admittedly fucked up with gifts for her before (strawberries...) but it seemed like the Rescue suit is something she actually wanted? She's clearly adept at using it. Last we saw her in IW, she was disappointed that Tony had put a pseudo Arc Reactor thing on his chest again, so she still seemed pretty firmly anti-robot suit before the time skip.
    She had something she really wanted to protect.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
This discussion has been closed.