As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Mixology

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Mixology

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Weird how the scene seems to suddenly change in the last panel.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Gabe went Over the Top, and, having conquered Tycho, flexed his power arm in all its glory. There's no hat because Tycho must've put up a decent fight, so Gave lost it in the struggle.

• simpliciosimplicio Registered User new member
    The last panel looks like Mike looked up at the clock, realized he had 20 minutes left to finish the strip, and so bailed on the whole arm-wrestling thing and grabbed a picture of Gabe from something else.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I don't know for sure, but I have a guess that there is some art that Gabe does where he thinks of a cool cinematic panel without a comic, then archives it for when they have a comic with no clear art to go with it and he needs a break from drawing. Could be totally wrong, may just be an idea bank, but it'd make sense to do a few comic strips when he has ideas and energy and wait for comic text to come to them.

What is this I don't even.
  • TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    Did... did Tycho arm-wrestle Gabe's hat clean off his head?

• beepbeep Registered User new member
    Erm, is the fact that tumbleweeds were orginally from the plains of Russia the deep joke here?

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    beep wrote: »
    Erm, is the fact that tumbleweeds were orginally from the plains of Russia the deep joke here?

What are you talking about?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

I think it's a reference to the prevalence of Russian bots via the fact that tumbleweeds are not native to this continent.

steam_sig.png
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

I think it's a reference to the prevalence of Russian bots via the fact that tumbleweeds are not native to this continent.

No, it’s just because a tumbleweed blowing past is a symbol of isolation.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

...I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think Mixer has a Russian bot problem.

I also don't think Gabe and Tycho know that tumbleweeds aren't native to North America. I certainly didn't. And apparently, Amaranthus albus is native to tropical America and spread to Eurasia (including Russia) and Africa.

• GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    I did not now tumbleweeds were from Russia.

Gabriel wrote: »

Some of them aren't. There are American tumbleweeds in Siberia today.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

...I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think Mixer has a Russian bot problem.

I also don't think Gabe and Tycho know that tumbleweeds aren't native to North America. I certainly didn't. And apparently, Amaranthus albus is native to tropical America and spread to Eurasia (including Russia) and Africa.

Right, sorry, wasn't clear. I was answering Andy Joe's question about what Beep was implying the hidden joke in the third panel was. Not saying that it actually was the case.

steam_sig.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Gabe went Over the Top, and, having conquered Tycho, flexed his power arm in all its glory. There's no hat because Tycho must've put up a decent fight, so Gave lost it in the struggle.

He took it to the Limit, and then beyond.

H9f4bVe.png
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Gabriel wrote: »

Russia, and cartoons. I know which one of those form more of my knowledge base...

American cartoons have also been spreading to Russia for many years now. Family Guy and South Park are the best known culprits, along with The Simpsons (starting with that episode were Lenin breaks out of his own Mausoleum).

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I'm not up on the streaming lifestyle. Is Mixer actually good, or is the joke here that no one uses it because everyone's on Twitch already?

T-Danger wrote: »
    I'm not up on the streaming lifestyle. Is Mixer actually good, or is the joke here that no one uses it because everyone's on Twitch already?

It works pretty well. The population isn't anywhere near Twitch's, but like how Apple computers aren't anywhere near as common as Windows hardware--I don't know if that removes any possible justification for its existence. Microsoft clearly wanted to have their own community streaming system integrated into Xbox (and eventually Windows 10), separate their Twitch support, the same way they have their own cloud storage support, messaging and voice chat support, apps marketplace, an so forth. So media sharing functionality works "more" natively with Mixer. It's also easier to police social community behavior because, well, it's smaller.

But I too am not up on the streaming lifestyle. I've just used both systems, and even Youtube's game streaming, casually as an audience member.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Mixer has some nice onboard stuff for streaming. And if you wanted to make a name on something its better to try a smaller platform like mixer than just be lost in the sea of twitch.

But ultimately if you're a nobody starting out you just have to do a lot of streams where no one is watching and just make content someone might want to watch someday.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    "This is an era where there is more information than ever but you must rely upon a kind of metastasized phone book to grant you access to it, except this phone book also has opinions about what you should want."

Fantastic. Thanks, Jerry.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »
    "This is an era where there is more information than ever but you must rely upon a kind of metastasized phone book to grant you access to it, except this phone book also has opinions about what you should want."

Fantastic. Thanks, Jerry.

I also liked:

"Imagine musical chairs, less seats every cycle, but for your fucking job."

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • SharpEdgeSharpEdge Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Even if it's a better platform, I wouldn't believe for a second that Mixer wouldn't have all the same controversial problems as Twitch or YouTube if it was the leading platform. They aren't riding on a marketing of "the place where assholes are banned" and if they had that platform, how do you define that? The problems with Twitch are both and and yet are a problem as old as mass media itself.

Their are YouTube channels being cracked down on for swearing now. Like a casual utterance of "shit" or "fuck" can get you demonetized. YouTube networks that have spotless track records but happened to swear a lot are now having to readjust half the personality of it's creators to clean up. It's a lot like the sanitizing of Cable TV once it became the mainstream preference instead of a wild west of niche content.

It's a societal issue, not a platform one. To the platform, it will always be about the more profitable option over the ethical one once you hit a certain scale, and the ethical solution is never a cut and dry obvious answer as much as the profitable one. It's when society deems the ethical option is the profitable one, that the ethical option is taken, and even then, with compromise.

Also, Zune 2 was a superior product to the iPod and no one cared.

SharpEdge on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    No, the swearing thing is because Google thinks it can just do everything via logarithms instead of having to actually pay human beings for things like moderation. And no amount of embarrassment will dissuade YouTube from dying on that hill.

YL9WnCY.png
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    logarithms

:biggrin: