As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neighbors are the worst

123457»

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    All it took was a complete disregard for human life

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

It also took a little ingenuity.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    It's still mad impressive to me that they built that

That's the Ming dynasty reboot of the wall

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    e
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

It also took a little ingenuity.

And Ancient Aliens?

Professor Criise Xelovia says yes

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Did it even work? I mean eventually China got conquered by the Mongols anyway right?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Did it even work? I mean eventually China got conquered by the Mongols anyway right?

They went around it

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

They went around it

So yeah, the wall was a successful deterrent everywhere it was! Good on you wall.

• Options
    Kinda reminds me of the Maginot Line. You go to all this time and effort to construct a barrier and instead of dashing themselves upon your fortifications the enemy has the gall to just circumvent them completely

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Hoo boy our neighbor situation just escalated dramatically last night.

Our immediate neighbor for the past few nights has been playing his music so loud, the walls shake and you can hear the lyrics like you're in their house. The first night I let it go, then he did it again Sunday night after the kids had gone to bed, so I went over and knocked on the door. 4 times, normal volume knocks. No answer. So I got progressively louder. Eventually I was full on banging on the door as hard as I could, still no answer. So I go back to my house.

A few minutes later, I go back outside to go help my brother with taking something out of his car, and he pops his head out suddenly, "was someone just knocking on my door?"

"Uh yeah.... My kids are sleeping, can you please turn down your music?"

"Oh sorry, man I was just testing out my new sound system."

Okay, first of all, that's a lie cause you were doing this last night, too. But whatever, I let it go.

Last night, starts up again, but this time it's EVEN LOUDER. So I go over, knock on his door again. It opens after the first knock, but this time it's his wife.

"Call the cops. It's him. He won't turn it down, I've tried, just call the cops."

Well unfortunately, noise ordinance in our county only kicks in after 10pm, so the cops won't do anything, so I go back to sit on the couch.

2 minutes later, we hear a banging so loud on our door it sounds like it's being broken down with a battering ram. I go to look out, and there's nobody there.

However, we have a Nest doorbell, so I pull up the video and it's the neighbor. He ran over to our house, banged on the door as hard as he could, then ran away. Like a teenager leaving a flaming bag of shit on our steps.

About twenty minutes later, his kid knocks on our door and apologizes for his dad.

I haven't seen any of them since, but what the fuck

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Well that sounds like there is a lot more stuff going on in your neighbours' household.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Well that sounds like there is a lot more stuff going on in your neighbours' household.

Yeah but don't fucking take that shit out on me and my family and act like a godamn teenager, and then be a coward and send your child over to apologize for you

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Yeah but don't fucking take that shit out on me and my family and act like a godamn teenager, and then be a coward and send your child over to apologize for you

Most def, id just be worried for the wife and kid. That dude is either having some internal troubles some stimulant based troubles or both. Sucks for everyone around him.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, there's a fair chance that jerk is turning up the music so you don't hear them beating their family

• Options
    Yeah, there's a fair chance that jerk is turning up the music so you don't hear them beating their family

Oh thats definitely it. He clearly has a poor temper.

Id call CPS and explain that your worried about the kids

• Options
    Hmm I'm not sure based on what I saw last night that it's necessarily physical assault, but it's something I'll keep an eye open for for sure.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

My read of the situation was that the kid came over of his own volition and without the dad's knowledge

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

My read of the situation was that the kid came over of his own volition and without the dad's knowledge

Yeah a guy that does shit like that would make the kid take the blame.

• Options
    The partner begging you to call the police and the kid feeling they have to apologise for their parent are huge flags of abusive behavior, at least the sort of abuse I have experienced

• Options
    Reading that again if your brother hadn't been there he would definitely have tried to start something. He saw he was outnumbered.

Ive dealt with shitheads like that before. He'll probably escalate to petty vandalism before to long

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think it would be a good idea to call and explain the situation and let CPS decide if they need to visit.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Some new neighbors moved in to the apartment next to my bedroom at the beginning of the week. They seemed nice when I met them both individually, and they've got a pair of cute and friendly dogs, but boy are they arguing something fierce tonight.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    The apartment next door to mine is empty and available to rent. Apparently it's a studio for 1,050 a month.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bargain. Get it and use it as a home office/dojo.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    The apartment next door to mine is empty and available to rent. Apparently it's a studio for 1,050 a month.

that's 47 dollars more than i pay!!!!

this city is gonna bury me alive

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    If instead of moving we could just rip a hole into the wall to the next appartement, that would be so great.

honovere on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    My closest neighbor is 1/4 of a mile away and I can’t see their house through the trees.

For the first year they lived there we could never remember the husband’s name so we referred to him as Billy Joe Jim Bob because we were pretty sure one of those was the right answer.

One day this last winter our dog started going apeshit. This was not his attention bark, this was his “I see something I want to kill” bark which he normally reserves for UPS drivers.

So I go outside to see what’s going on. And there in the driveway are two terrified horses. I quickly realize they belong to the neighbor but before I can do anything he comes tearassing onto our property on his ATV, spooking the horses into the woods. I honestly thought the poor things were going to break their legs because the spot they went in was a bunch of fallen trees covered in 3 feet of snow.

Luckily his wife came along with a bucket of oats and calmed down the horses and the neighbor so everything worked out.

That same house, about 20 years ago, the previous occupant was moving in and she needed some help. She was a Californian who had sold a single-wide on a corner lot down there for some ungodly amount of money and was now looking for a nice place in the country.

She had a lot of heavy, ugly furniture. And three large freezers, the standup kind that are easily mistaken for fridges if you don’t look too close. I start wheeling one of them into the house and one of the other dudes she has helping says, “nah, those all go in the shop/garage. Near a power source.”

Now these fuckers are heavy. And I’m like, what? Did she bring up a bunch of food she didn’t want to part with? The dudes give each other a look, and make sure the lady isn’t nearby. “Go ahead, see what’s in there.”

I open one up, and it’s filled from top to bottom with dead pets. Wrapped up nice and neat in white towels, like those mummified cats from Egyptian tombs. Except here there are birds, hamsters, cats, dogs, lizards. Dozens and dozens of little dead animals. All of them in these 3 freezers and trucked up from California.

I’m pretty sure she buried them all somewhere on the property and I always wonder if the next occupant ever found the pet cemetery.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    what the fuck

that's some true detective shit right there

• Options
    what the fuck

that's some true detective shit right there

She was a former police cheif of Raccoon city

• Options
    Someone in my building let their dog piss all over someone's package that had been left by the mailboxes. A little bit got on a package for my roommate but it doesn't look like enough to get through the cardboard.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Someone in my building let their dog piss all over someone's package that had been left by the mailboxes. A little bit got on a package for my roommate but it doesn't look like enough to get through the cardboard.

Disgusting. Sure they're not strays or was someone just that inconsiderate?

• Options
    Kaplar wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

Disgusting. Sure they're not strays or was someone just that inconsiderate?

The mailboxes are inside our building, if it was a stray it would have had to have slipped in around someone coming in our out of one of the gated entrances. Not impossible but pretty unlikely.

There are cameras in our building so it should have been caught on video.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My neighbor's dog got loose. I know that dog is desperate to socialize. {ignoring your dog and generally treating it like crap is not a way to train a "guard dog"} So while my brother tried to usher it back to it's yard the owner just yelled at it scaring the dog even more.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    bargain. Get it and use it as a home office/dojo.

I mean, I could. Or, I could kick my sister out of the current place and convert her room in to a studio, and the living room in to the dojo.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I think I've ranted about the person(s) living underneath me before. He is horrible. Constant very loud music (this is not hyperbole: he once played a techno remix of the GoT theme on a loop for days). Weird, loud banging (he uses his flat as a makeshift garage, and works with power tools. Which is loud, and not safe). He deals drugs. I don't care what people use, but I do care about desperate assholes knocking on the building doors at all hours while he ignores it. Oh, and he beats his girlfriend, and constantly screams at her. And various other fun things. It's been an experience.

Had to call the cops yesterday for the nth time since he was knocking her around. They arrive, and I heard her go, "yeah, he hits me, but so what? I don't mind", and the cops basically had to leave. But first they came up to my flat, knocked on the door and were basically, "dude, what the hell?", which was unusual cop behaviour. I sort of just went, "yeah, I know". But hey, they were nice and told me to call about whatever, whenever, as they'd very happily drive out and keep things in check.

So I fired off yet another annoyed message to my landlord, expecting nothing, and didn't get a reply. Until I suddenly just now heard the unmistakable, very loud voice of said landlord downstairs, fucking chewing them out. Followed by a short message to me that just went, "they're out within 3 months".

So, yay? I'm super happy that there are strong protections and safeguards for renters, but this has been wild. Amusingly, I said to the cops yesterday that I should probably just move and one of them said that they're very familiar with this guy, and that "if he follows his usual pattern, he'll move/be kicked out soon, so hang in there".

The next three months could be, uh, interesting, of course...

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options

I feel badly for the victim there

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    In some places cops don't need the victim of domestic abuse to press charges. It should be like that everywhere.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I feel badly for the victim there

It really sucks. It's a total no win for her.

A while back she actually packed her bags, and a couple of cops gave her a ride to wherever. She was gone for a long time, and I had hoped that she was done, but yeah.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.