As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dwarf Fortress pixelart

2»

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    wonder if you could get away with swirly eyes in such a small space, I think that would read better for "madness", especially since there doesn't seem to be "confusion". It would separate it from "distracted"

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    That's a great idea! Can you tell me if these, ah, register as spirals?

mzRTjuQ.png

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, that looks great!

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m a big fan of those!

I think if you added occasional colour flashes to the word bubbles you’d have a secondary means of seeing what’s going down.

So Melancholy might fade from white to blue slowly, while Berserk would flash red quickly. You could also colour all the Fey Moods differently if you want players to know what they’re getting, or not.

Hope everything is going well with you!

edited July 2019
    Yep, I'm definitely gonna try adding more colours on the moods, though it's difficult to come up with a relevant colour for many of those.
    I got stuck trying to work on trees as they're very frustrating to work with in DF. Here's some sketches from that:
    I3oFu7c.png
    ScfJK00.png

And now a few animals to relax:
    a tortoise and two attempts at a gibbon (using my favourite, pileated)
    animals.png
    +bear
    bear.png

Mayday on
    edited August 2019
    After a long break for holidays and life stuff, I'm resuming work.
    dfd_resume.png
    I was super happy with the lion and shark... so to balance it out I started working on the DF-original creatures, starting with the Draltha. Looks like I'm gonna have to spend some more time actually learning concept-art techinques >_<

Mayday on
    It’s been many a moon, have you completed your time with Dwarf Fortress? What are you working on now?

edited February 2020
    I actually haven't finished it yet. The sad thing is I joined the project expecting a repeat of my first experience with DF, when I was frantically working on making a complete set while playing. Turns out having absolutely no way to check my work in-game (because Tarn hasn't started the development on the graphical upgrades yet) killed most of my motivation.
    But now that the Villains arc is released and we're starting the actual development in less than a month, I'm getting back into it, making a couple of icons a day.
    manera-yeti.pnglobster-satyr.pngreacher.pngrutherer.pngcreatures_1119.pngcivs_1022.pnggreen_1020.pngcreatures1014.pngcs_draltha.pngcreatures1007.png

Mayday on
    edited February 2020
    I mean, if you guys want I can even post these daily, but it's just a couple of icons so I'll probably stick to once per week.
    0217creatures.png
    Molemarian (a molerat-man / molerat centaur), voracious cave crawler, troglodyte, strangler (a three-eyed, four-armed black ape).

Mayday on
    edited February 2020
    Alright, here's the latest batch, including some minor variations and corrections of previous stuff:

0225creatures.png
    0224creatures.png
    0221creatures.png
    0220creatures.png
    0218creatures.png

Mayday on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Looking gr8. I saw the DF booth at PAX and I didn't stop because CHAOS, but I assumed you weren't there otherwise I woulda stopped to say hi!

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Wait, what? There was a DF booth at PAX??

So pissed I missed it.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Haha, I'd seriously question the business value of flying me to the US and back just to talk a bit about my sprites >_<
    Maybe in a few decades I'll have the skill and fame to justify that?
    0226creatures.png
    0302creatures.png

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I love these sprites though, shame you couldn't be flown in.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    Especially given the incredible pile of incoming cash a graphical overhaul of Dwarf Fortress represents

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Man, all of these are looking great so far. I am super excited. Your original graphics pack is actually how I learned to play DF the first time.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Recent work:
    0309creatures.png

We're facing a problem of having roughly 1500 undead sprites to create. There's no way for us to handle all of that for the initial release, so I've devised a "placeholder" edit that shouldn't take more than a few seconds for each sprite (of course we have proper "zombie" sprites for the most prominent creatures).

undead.png

I chose purple because it's the colour of necromancers and miasma in the game and also there are pretty much no purple creatures, while there's lots of greenish/brownish stuff.

This is kind of a programmer tip than artist tip, but for that they could just adjust the hue on the image programmatically to make it purple and recycle the sprites and save y'all time and work.

Super easy to do in most programming languages.

But it's also super easy to do via scripts to do that as well, yeah.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    It's easier for me to just take a spritesheet and recolour it in Photoshop (about 15 seconds with fine control) than have Toady code a new recolouring algorithm (his current one suuuuucks).
    The only problem will be adding the eyes.

Hey guys!
    Tarn started coding and posting screenshots in his devlog, so I can now share my work in action.
    There are still some minor issues with ramp shadows, but the goal is to get them about 80% ok (hello mr Pareto) and leave it at that, because it's a huge rabbit hole that can potentially end up with hundreds of composite sprites - not a great thing for modders to worry about.

march_26_ramps1.png

march_26_ramps2.png

march_26_fort.png

march_26_animals.png

I've been playing the fuck out of DF the last few weeks. I will be getting this when it comes out on steam. Just wanted to pop in again and say how great all these are looking.

edited April 2020
    Well, I can finally show how the WIP of multilevel view works in the game:
    multilevel.png

Having to work within the confines of the display being randomly generated, extremely tile-based and unoptimised performance-wise is a bit of a challenge. The harsh transition on the lowest level needs to be fixed though - but in general, do you find the whole 3d situation readable?

Mayday on
    Yeah it is immediately readable, but also looks a little underwater, like the atmosphere is incredibly thick. Maybe the shift being further into shadow (like weak torchlight) rather than blue-shift atmosphere would sell that last level better?

Well, it's been quite some time. I was working on finishing all the base creatures.
    Many creatures in the game have child, undead, undead child, war-trained, hunting-trained, giant and animal-man variants, but there are some 300 creatures in the game on which those are based.
    That's done!

9Ijj4y5.pngdXwT4J0.pnguigTc9i.png
    mFyr1Hk.pngGyQetbu.png6W4VqHh.png
    9mOaSpV.png

Now I'm working on the basis for the UI, but I think that must wait until the first screenshots are posted in the official devlog.

Keep it up! I particularly love that manta ray.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The sunfish is amazing for pixel art! (I didn't even know there were sunfish in DF!)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited August 2020
    I can now share the first pass on the GUI. I'm very interested in hearing what the pros here will think about it.
    I've already received a few comments I have to agree with:
    -the scrollbars feel very "windows 95"
    -the colours could use some work (definitely not my forte, I could come up with no way to improve it, other than maybe starting from scratch with a completely new colour scheme).
    -the categories on the left need an icon to denote that they're collapsible
    -the filter "..." should be replaced with a tip that it's a filter

There are also a couple of problems with the fact that the GUI is heavily tile-based (using 8x12px tiles), I'm afraid there's little I can help here.

13f662e9694091cf4b49053b2bc2b52b39d88f2a.png

Mayday on
    I dig the purple and gold, at the very least you should keep those. Just change the brown menubar/list color into something else. Filter box can just have some brand of white background to indicate it's a textbox.

• FranganFrangan Registered User regular
    I've been a DF player for a long time and I've always avoided the graphics packs like the plague because they made things more confusing instead of less.

This not only looks great, it also looks like it could actually work! Love it. Nice to get a first glimpse at it here, too. Thanks.

Developed a hard sci-fi RPG with base building and survival elements called Titan Outpost. It's on Steam.
    Windows 95 fits DF I think. I think you’re doing great work, and honestly this is one game where a simple brown and grey UI works. Keep it up champ!