As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nba] franken-warriors rise as curse of the brook settles over lakers

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I thought that last year, when Kawhi was trying to get out of San Antonio, that there were reports he wanted to go to LA.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Based on the durant stuff expect him to be a clipper soon.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Harkless and Leonard from the blazers for whiteside from the heat.

I have no idea what to think about this trade. 2-3 years ago it would have been the steal of a century. But whiteside hasn’t looked dominant for a few years, and Leonard finally looks like a real nba player (albeit a backup).

Meyers Leonard? The same one Blazers fans booed the shit out of until he finally had a break out game in the playoffs against the Warriors this year? The question is will Nurkic/Whiteside work.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    The stuff Canada has been doing, tracking Kawhi's movements, is quite insane.

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Harkless and Leonard from the blazers for whiteside from the heat.

I have no idea what to think about this trade. 2-3 years ago it would have been the steal of a century. But whiteside hasn’t looked dominant for a few years, and Leonard finally looks like a real nba player (albeit a backup).

Meyers Leonard? The same one Blazers fans booed the shit out of until he finally had a break out game in the playoffs against the Warriors this year? The question is will Nurkic/Whiteside work.

Yeah I was never behind the Leonard hate. He wasn’t really a rotation level player until this year, but he never deserved the hate.

I’m assuming whiteside is an insurance policy. He’s on basically a one year deal. If nurk comes back healthy and strong, and Collins steps up, whiteside will be out next year. Until nurk is fully back though he gives us a good look.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I've seen Meyers Leonard do enough dirty stuff in the few games I've actually watched him play that I'm perfectly comfortable having the opinion that he's a giant dick. Like, the small sample size only makes him look even worse.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the "hate" always came from his status as the eternal prospect; it seemed like every season (or multiple times a season) he was right on the verge of a breakout or whatever, and eventually everyone just got tired of it (also, his silly hair style decisions)

that's not really his fault of course (well aside from the hair), that's just fans being silly. He's tall and he can shoot a bit so he can probably play somewhere for quite a while

I'm not big into whiteside but he's expiring and it feels like the blazers have another trade to make

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Wow, Kawhi AND Paul George headed to the Clippers. Clippers trade 7 picks, 5 first rounds, 2 other picks that are swappable, Shai-Gilgeous Alexander, and Danilo Gallinari to Thunder in exchange for Paul George. Apparently Kawhi wanted to play with Paul and told the Clippers to make it happen if they wanted him. Sheesh. Pretty interesting how much power players have now. Not saying it's good or bad, just observing.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    lol westbrook

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    lol Billy Donovan

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what I think of those moves by the Clippers. Kawhi Leonard + Paul George is a formidable combination to be sure, but five first round picks and two swappable picks is a heck of a lot. I guess if none of those picks end up in the lottery it's probably worthwhile, though also giving up Gilgeous-Alexander doesn't seem ideal since he seemed to show promise and was on a rookie contract. Of course I could be completely wrong and this brings a championship or two to the Clippers in which case it is absolutely worthwhile.

The next two years at least should be pretty interesting, as the league is pretty wide open next season and then we get to see what Durant looks like post-injury.

steam_sig.png
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    There's not much in sports I like better than seeing the Lakers fail.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I hope that when Kawhi plays in Toronto next, the crowd gives him a massive standing applause that completely throws him off his game and lets the Raptors sneak in a win to get back up to .500.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Demarcus to the Lakers. Both LA teams very strong and are contenders.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I'm surprised he chose the clippers.

chrisnl wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I think of those moves by the Clippers. Kawhi Leonard + Paul George is a formidable combination to be sure, but five first round picks and two swappable picks is a heck of a lot. I guess if none of those picks end up in the lottery it's probably worthwhile, though also giving up Gilgeous-Alexander doesn't seem ideal since he seemed to show promise and was on a rookie contract. Of course I could be completely wrong and this brings a championship or two to the Clippers in which case it is absolutely worthwhile.

The next two years at least should be pretty interesting, as the league is pretty wide open next season and then we get to see what Durant looks like post-injury.

Here’s my thoughts

This Clippers team was the 7 in the West last year, took as many from the Durant Warriors as the Rockets and more than the Blazers, and only gave up 2 rotation guys for 1 MVP caliber player and another all star. Prior to getting that 7 seed they gave up Tobi and thrived while he got lost in Philly. Doc Rivers might still know what he’s doing...somehow...

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Doc Rivers was always a good coach. He just wasn't a good GM. Or, at the very least, he wasn't good at doing both at the same time. Which makes sense because they're both full-time jobs.

edited July 2019
    They gave up quite a bit but you have to look at it like this, effectively that trade was not for Paul George, it was for Paul George and kawhi Leonard. Without getting that done, they wouldn't have gotten kawhi. There's nothing any NBA team wouldn't trade for a combo like that

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Especially since it's for a minimum of three years of that pair

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    There's not much in sports I like better than seeing the Lakers fail.

Watching the Patriots lose is still my favorite.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Watching the Knicks do stupid shit at the trade deadline is entertaining too

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited July 2019
    Butters wrote: »
    Watching the Knicks do stupid shit at the trade deadline is entertaining too

I dunno, I kind of feel bad for them. I mean you are talking literal decades at this point of bad decision making.

Jebus314 on
    james dolan gotta james dolan

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    I heard one of the commentators saying something like, "This kills the Knicks' attempts to get back to the top of the NBA" and my response was basically, "When have the Knicks ever been at the top of the NBA?" 1973? They've been basically been coasting on nostalgia for 4+ decades at this point.

steam_sig.png
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Hey now. They can get to the Finals, assuming a Jordan retirement and/or a strike-shortened regular season.

edited July 2019
    Hey now. They can get to the Finals, assuming a Jordan retirement and/or a strike-shortened regular season.

I mean fair enough, I guess squads with Patrick Ewing did make the Finals twice. So only two decades of futility instead of four! So instead of literally every player in the NBA right now not being alive the last time the Knicks won a title, it's only a small fraction that were not alive the last time they made the Finals.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    The Knicks were pretty good in the 90s under Pat Riley. But that is about it. Ever since then, they are a laughingstock and this doesn't seem to change any time soon.

TheBigEasy wrote: »
    The Knicks were pretty good in the 90s under Pat Riley. But that is about it. Ever since then, they are a laughingstock and this doesn't seem to change any time soon.

That Knicks was harder to watch than baseball

edited July 2019
    Alright I propose a new Friday night all-star weekend event
    2 on 2 streetball tourney with maybe 8 teams, first to 21 wins, has to be played in the parking lot of the arena
    Duos have to actually come from existing teams, fans vote in 6 and maybe the coaches/journalists pick the last two
    No refs, self enforced fouls
    Make it happen Adam silver

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    2 on 2 streetball tourney with maybe 8 teams, first to 21 wins, has to be played in the parking lot of the arena
    Duos have to actually come from existing teams, fans vote in 6 and maybe the coaches/journalists pick the last two

Eh. The problem with all star games is that no one wants to play full out. It’s a resting weekend. 2 on 2 would be even worse than the all star game.

Go the other way. No intensity games. Horse torney between highest TS % player from each team. Layup, jump shot, 3 pt, half court, sequential shot contest.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm on board with that. If All Star weekend is going to be about fun and casual basketball then let's shift it further in that direction.

If we want intense basketball, a mid-season tournament that affects standings is the way to go.

2on2 doesn't have to be all out, you can just talk a bunch of shit like Wesley Snipes

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Eh. The problem with all star games is that no one wants to play full out. It’s a resting weekend. 2 on 2 would be even worse than the all star game.

Go the other way. No intensity games. Horse torney between highest TS % player from each team. Layup, jump shot, 3 pt, half court, sequential shot contest.

10-11 years ago they did have a Horse event before the main Saturday night activities, and it just turned into long jump shots.

Westbrook to Houston for CP3 and draft picks.

RickRude wrote: »
    Westbrook to Houston for CP3 and draft picks.

This has some real trainwreck potential.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, but honestly I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't make the move at this point. If you are serious about your contention window with Harden, and you know CP3 won't work from either a basketball or personality perspective (and you are desperate to get rid of his albatross contract), then your only real choice is to find another superstar-caliber player to replace CP3 somehow.

Westbrook might not be a perfect fit, but he's at least a change of pace.

Westbrook and harden are looking forward to playing with each other again and Westbrook is still really talented.

RickRude wrote: »
    Westbrook and harden are looking forward to playing with each other again and Westbrook is still really talented.

I'm not denying Westbrook's talent. I'm not even too surprised that he and Harden are looking forward to playing together again. They could even manage to work together! I'm just saying there is potential that it could be a trainwreck.

steam_sig.png
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    I hope that OKC promptly trades CP3 for yet more picks, and then does something silly like "For our first round, we select Duke. As in Duke University. Just put all the starters on a plane, we'll take it from there."