As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jeffrey Epstein Co-Conspirator Ghislaine Maxwell Finally Convicted

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited January 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
First of all: CONTENT WARNING for sex trafficking of minors and associated sex acts:

Earlier tonight, The Daily Beast reported that Jeffrey Epstein was arrested today on charges related to sex trafficking.

NBC has since confirmed that arrest.

So who is Jeffrey Epstein and why does this particular asshole deserve a thread? I'll outsource that story to Julie K. Brown of the Miami Herald who revived interest in the story last year with this piece.

Short version (spoilered for content):
Epstein is a hedge fund manager and was a serial pedophile who lured underage girls to his residence with "massage" jobs and then molested them. The Herald says it has identified 60 girls as victims but presumably there are many more as we've seen in cases like the Nassar case. He also allegedly farmed out some of these girls to his powerful/rich friends, that's the sex trafficking part.

He was charged with those acts in 2007, and pled down to a pair of prostitution charges. The US Attorney who handled his case was Alex Acosta, the current US Secretary of Labor. So that's way #1 this could end up being a huge story. A Cabinet Secretary's garbage plea deal allowed a serial pedophile to go free and now he's been charged with other bad acts, though my understanding thus far is that this investigation centered around the sex trafficking from 2002 to 2005. He also got a variety of other favors from the justice system that he didn't really deserve.

However, the other way this story could be an ENORMOUS story is the trafficking part and specifically who he was trafficking to. Which is his rich and powerful friends. Among those accused of having sex with one of Epstein's girls are Alan Dershowitz, Prince Andrew the Duke of York, and in a since dismissed lawsuit (around the same time Stormy Daniels was being paid off) Donald Trump. Dershowitz was part of the team that negotiated the comically favorable plea deal and fought like hell to prevent those records from becoming unsealed and campaigned heavily against the Herald's story winning a Pulitzer. He is the person I think is most likely to have been involved, personally.

AFAIK none of Epstein's victims have actually accused Bill Clinton of having sex with them, but Clinton and Epstein were friends. It wouldn't exactly be surprising. There are many, many other men who could theoretically be involved, Epstein had a lot of very powerful friends.

It is worth noting that according to NBC, this was a joint NYPD/FBI investigation, so even though it seems like SDNY is going to take the first crack at prosecution, it's possible the state could step in, if for example, he were to receive a pardon in exchange for shutting the fuck up. Allegedly, he flipped on some Bear Stearns execs last time to keep his ass basically out of jail, so him flipping on people wouldn't be unprecedented.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Oh also Bill Barr's dad hired this asshole to be a teacher despite having no qualifications. Back in the 70s. So think about that fun tidbit.

enlightenedbum on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    If this case nets nothing else but getting Alan Dershowitz prison time and a thoroughly discredited reputation from here on out, I will be so, SO happy

Hacksaw wrote: »
    If this case nets nothing else but getting Alan Dershowitz prison time and a thoroughly discredited reputation from here on out, I will be so, SO happy

I'm cool with just Epstein finally facing justice. Anybody else is great.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I think Epstein knows where enough of the figurative bodies are buried to effectively avoid any serious jail time, unfortunately.

I think Epstein knows where enough of the figurative bodies are buried to effectively avoid any serious jail time, unfortunately.

I don't think you could get that kind of deal in this environment, even if he brought down two presidents.

• Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

About that. There's really only one person he could roll on that I might be willing to see a lighter sentence happen. Otherwise, let's get ready to burn some reputations and revise our history. Men of any stature who abuse people in this manner deserve to have their legacies questioned if not outright erased from history.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    So I just read the article on cnn. He's basically facing charges in NY that he already served time for in Florida. There's no new charges correct?

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    So I just read the article on cnn. He's basically facing charges in NY that he already served time for in Florida. There's no new charges correct?

His conviction in 2007 was for sex acts with minors. These are sex trafficking charges now. They all took place at the same time, they're just saying not only is he a child rapist, he pimps them out too.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I saw that George Conway tweeted about it being the SDNY's Public-Corruption Unit that is leading this. (They focus on crimes committed by government officials.)

So that could be fun.

LordSolarMacharius on
    RickRude wrote: »

It's unclear. My guess is that this is based on some of the new victims the Herald uncovered. But that is purely a guess. I think we should get charging documents Monday.

I saw that George Conway tweeted about it being the SDNY's Public-Corruption Unit that is leading this. (They focus on crimes committed by government officials.)

So that could be fun.

Christine Pelosi (daughter of the Speaker and DNC big wig in her own right) is expecting "some of our faves" to get caught up in this, which I take to mean Bill. And probably some Senators/Governors because the world is terrible.

It's potentially an enormous mess.

NBC is saying "dozens" of victims in the charging document. Which I don't think was in their article when I first read it, they're updating as the night goes on. We knew that from the Herald, but that, I think, means those victims are working with the FBI. Which is also planning on setting up a dedicated line for other victims. I wouldn't be surprised if that number starts rising fairly rapidly.

edited July 2019
    Former SDNY prosecutor:

I like how one of her "don't get your hopes up" scenarios is only a cabinet secretary being indicted on public corruption charges involving sex trafficking.

enlightenedbum on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Trump is named dropped in all this, considering his connections to New York, his penchant for sexually abusing woman, and his history of being creepy around minors.

That said, it means the fight for justice will be even more difficult with that on the table. The usual parties will be even more motivated to sweep this under the rug despite the optics.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Trump is named dropped in all this, considering his connections to New York, his penchant for sexually abusing woman, and his history of being creepy around minors.

That said, it means the fight for justice will be even more difficult with that on the table. The usual parties will be even more motivated to sweep this under the rug despite the optics.

It's going to come up. I've been seeing this story popping up more and more recently on the net. It will be very telling to see what Trump's reaction to this is on twitter.
    Christine Pelosi (daughter of the Speaker and DNC big wig in her own right) is expecting "some of our faves" to get caught up in this, which I take to mean Bill. And probably some Senators/Governors because the world is terrible.

On the 3rd a federal court ordered a bunch of documents from an Epstein lawsuit released, and put a cautionary note on it to the press and public to basically "be careful with this shit." It seems like there's potential for anyone who just took a ride on the dude's plane to get caught up in this mess.

Dark_Side on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

The first time I actually heard of Dershowitz was at a talk by a professor after his career was essentially submarined by Dershowitz.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    "Some of our faves" jfc

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I will be shocked if our current government actually follows through on this arrest. Republicans are too cozy with the rich and powerful and are readily willing to overlook any sexual transgressions.

This situation is both disgusting and entirely predictable.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It sounds like the Republicans in federal government aren't the ones calling the shots, here.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    I will be shocked if our current government actually follows through on this arrest. Republicans are too cozy with the rich and powerful and are readily willing to overlook any sexual transgressions.

It’s not just Republicans. It’s Democrats too.

It’d be kind of funny if Republicans finally got Bill Clinton, but managed to take down Trump in the same scandal.

• MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Sounds like a fine trade to me tbh.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »
    Sounds like a fine trade to me tbh.

It won't be a trade.

It will be "See!? Aren't you glad I saved you from that woman that stayed married to this monster?"

It’d certainly be tough to produce enough evidence to send Bill to prison and leave Trump smelling of roses.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    It’d certainly be tough to produce enough evidence to send Bill to prison and leave Trump smelling of roses.

I don't disagree. What I'm saying is Trump smelling like shit won't matter. Trump already smells like shit. Trump smells like the horror that comes out of a baby that had it's first taco. It doesn't matter to his base.

But it gives a great opportunity to revisit the 25 year campaign against the Clintons and motivate his supporters.

Not that Bill shouldn't face every consequence possible if he's substantially implicated because in that case fuck Bill Clinton.

But the idea that this will be the thing that finally turns Trump's supporters against him is insane because he was right. The asshole could shoot a random person in the street and his supporters would do whatever mental gymnastics they have to so that they can say "Yeah but he should have shot that random person in the street!"

edited July 2019
    Nothing would turn Trump's supporters against him. But not everyone who votes for Republicans or neglects to vote for a Democrat is a cultist. The similar allegations against Roy Moore produced an insanely improbable win for a Democrat in Alabama. This stuff does matter to people. It would result in lower turnout for Republicans and higher for Democrats, rather than Republicans seeing the light and voting Democrat.

Unless Biden is involved in this, they can't "both sides!" it away. Which is, of course, a good reason for running a clean candidate like Warren or Sanders. Pussygate would have had more effect if it hadn't been plain that Bill Clinton, the husband of Hillary, was much the same sort of toad.

CelestialBadger on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Nothing would turn Trump's supporters against him. But not everyone who votes for Republicans or neglects to vote for a Democrat is a cultist. The similar allegations against Roy Moore produced an insanely improbable win for a Democrat in Alabama. This stuff does matter to people. It would result in lower turnout for Republicans and higher for Democrats, rather than Republicans seeing the light and voting Democrat.

Unless Biden is involved in this, they can't "both sides!" it away. Which is, of course, a good reason for running a clean candidate like Warren or Sanders. Pussygate would have had more effect if it hadn't been plain that Bill Clinton, the husband of Hillary, was much the same sort of toad.

And Roy Moore at least had the (immensely creepy) southern genteel "I asked her parents" garbage that worked on a subset of his base... "I am rich so I should be allowed to bang kids without consequence" is so far removed from even the Roy Moore level of awfulness that anyone who gets sucked into this vortex (where there is actual evidence of wrongdoing) should be imprisoned/exiled/impeached.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    If Bill Clinton is guilty of shit like this he should be in prison. Unlike the Right, we have moral and ethical standards.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    If this takes down bill clinton than good? I mean I tire of him being the rights go to "SEE YOU SUPPORT A RAPIST!!" Not that that would ever actually stop that mind you. Which I guess well shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

Just for posterity, I do like to bring up Trump's quoted opinion on Epstein whenever he comes up.
    "I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side.” - Donald Trump, 2002

steam_sig.png
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Ew

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I mean

That comment is fucking gross even without this new, criminal context

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Even if they didn't want to move against Epstein, the fact is that you have both sex trafficing and pedophilia going on in bulk.

And as appalling as republicans can be they still tend to come out hard against raping children.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Gaddez wrote: »

Even if they didn't want to move against Epstein, the fact is that you have both sex trafficing and pedophilia going on in bulk.

And as appalling as republicans can be they still tend to come out hard against raping children.

mtecsggfzrrw.jpg

See: Catholic church

jungleroomx on
  • BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    See also Roy Moore, see also Trump.

There is nothing a member of their tribe can do that they will not condone.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    As this story develops, I anticipate it will be much more about Clinton, and any ties to Trump will be glossed over and/or overshadowed by Clinton involvement. The media knows where their red meat is, after all.

It's freaking repulsive despite that, and anyone involved deserves to be... ugh, I don't even know what. It's disgusting to think about this. Let alone on this magnitude.

And as a hideous, vile bonus, I'm already seeing the dregs of the conspiracy theory circles out there saying this 'proves' Pizzagate. So get ready for that wild ride to start up again.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The thing with Roy moore is that while it was some hideous pedophilia there was at least some sort of (disgusting and incredibly bullshit) cultural pretext present in alabama wherein it was ok as long as you got parent's permission.

I do not see epstien or any of his clients getting a pass on this since new york lacks alabama's "southern sensibilities."

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    See also Roy Moore, see also Trump.

There is nothing a member of their tribe can do that they will not condone.

They don't QUITE condone it. What they'll do is say that Epstein donated money to a Democrat once, so this proves Democrats are terrible. Any Republicans who did bad things are lousy people, but what can you really PROVE, we shouldn't look too closely into this because it will ruin the poor traffickers' lives to be accused, and even if we pretty much know that some elected Republicans are child sex traffickers, that's still preferable to putting a DEMOCRAT in office, the proper thing to do is just hope the child rapists get primaried.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • DunderDunder Registered User regular
    The thing with Roy moore is that while it was some hideous pedophilia there was at least some sort of (disgusting and incredibly bullshit) cultural pretext present in alabama wherein it was ok as long as you got parent's permission.

I do not see epstien or any of his clients getting a pass on this since new york lacks alabama's "southern sensibilities."

Yes, there is always an excuse when republicans do it.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Dunder wrote: »

Yes, there is always an excuse when republicans do it.

Much like “locker room talk” that cultural pretext didn’t exist until it was needed to avoid voting for a Democrat.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Didn't one of Donald Trump's rape accusers say the assault occurred when she was a teenager on Epstein's private jet?