As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jeffrey Epstein Co-Conspirator Ghislaine Maxwell Finally Convicted

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Didn't one of Donald Trump's rape accusers say the assault occurred when she was a teenager on Epstein's private jet?

At one of Epstein's parties, but yeah.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »
    I will be shocked if our current government actually follows through on this arrest. Republicans are too cozy with the rich and powerful and are readily willing to overlook any sexual transgressions.

This situation is both disgusting and entirely predictable.

Even if they didn't want to move against Epstein, the fact is that you have both sex trafficing and pedophilia going on in bulk.

And as appalling as republicans can be they still tend to come out hard against raping children.

mtecsggfzrrw.jpg

See: Catholic church

While the actual Church is generally conservative, the laity tends to be more liberal.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I will be shocked if our current government actually follows through on this arrest. Republicans are too cozy with the rich and powerful and are readily willing to overlook any sexual transgressions.

Even if they didn't want to move against Epstein, the fact is that you have both sex trafficing and pedophilia going on in bulk.

And as appalling as republicans can be they still tend to come out hard against raping children.

mtecsggfzrrw.jpg

While the actual Church is generally conservative, the laity tends to be more liberal.

Citation?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Dunder wrote: »
    The thing with Roy moore is that while it was some hideous pedophilia there was at least some sort of (disgusting and incredibly bullshit) cultural pretext present in alabama wherein it was ok as long as you got parent's permission.

I do not see epstien or any of his clients getting a pass on this since new york lacks alabama's "southern sensibilities."

Yes, there is always an excuse when republicans do it.

Much like “locker room talk” that cultural pretext didn’t exist until it was needed to avoid voting for a Democrat.

ehhhh, that's not accurate. Both of those cultural things absolutely, unquestionably do exist and have done so for decades or longer.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

mtecsggfzrrw.jpg

Citation?

Phrasing is unclear but in general the GOP do not view Catholic as any kind of demo that favors them. (It doesn't really disfavor them either.) This is a bit weird because if you look at policy issues regarding abortion you'd think they'd be natural allies but it just isn't there. Which does represent a difference between the Church and the folks who attend it.

Stuff here if you like: https://www.people-press.org/2018/03/20/party-identification-trends-1992-2017/

Hispanic Catholics break D but well, more than zero melanin is probably the actual issue there.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Good point.

VishNub on
    Y'all are comically off topic.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Yea, the point being that the GOP as a whole was largely silent on the Catholic molestation scandal because they had no reason to get involved.

Also gonna point out that mostly the GOP denies anything happened then follows with "but it doesn't matter that much because..." in cases like Moore. The official line they took was it didn't happen, but ya know, if it did what does it matter? It moves the question from guilt/innocence and gets folks arguing really stupid topics instead of the core issue. So Trump's "Grab them by the pussy" became "Locker room talk" which, while a thing, isn't usually straight up sexual assault is totally awesome.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yea, the point being that the GOP as a whole was largely silent on the Catholic molestation scandal because they had no reason to get involved.

Also gonna point out that mostly the GOP denies anything happened then follows with "but it doesn't matter that much because..." in cases like Moore. The official line they took was it didn't happen, but ya know, if it did what does it matter? It moves the question from guilt/innocence and gets folks arguing really stupid topics instead of the core issue. So Trump's "Grab them by the pussy" became "Locker room talk" which, while a thing, isn't usually straight up sexual assault is totally awesome.

When it comes to actual people getting actual consequences, I have the lines all ready to go. *ahem*

1. Lone wolf
    2. Does not represent the party
    3. Taken out of context
    4. This issue should not be politicized

If any prominent GOP are trotted out as involved in this scandal, we will see the above used regardless of how many.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I do not hope to get trump, but if they could at least get Acosta for his ridiculous deal with Epstein I'll feel justice was at least had somewhat.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Dunder wrote: »
    The thing with Roy moore is that while it was some hideous pedophilia there was at least some sort of (disgusting and incredibly bullshit) cultural pretext present in alabama wherein it was ok as long as you got parent's permission.

I do not see epstien or any of his clients getting a pass on this since new york lacks alabama's "southern sensibilities."

Yes, there is always an excuse when republicans do it.

Much like “locker room talk” that cultural pretext didn’t exist until it was needed to avoid voting for a Democrat.

ehhhh, that's not accurate. Both of those cultural things absolutely, unquestionably do exist and have done so for decades or longer.

I took it to mean "the Republicans denied that they existed prior to being able to use them to get their guy off the hook."

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    If this does hit Clinton, I imagine that's what Fox will run with for days upon days to try and dominate the conversation with. It doesn't matter that Epstien and the Creepy Orange Manbaby with a thing for young girls were friends in close proximity for years, it's because Clinton was too. This is the network of the party that practically invented both-sidesing.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    If this does hit Clinton, I imagine that's what Fox will run with for days upon days to try and dominate the conversation with. It doesn't matter that Epstien and the Creepy Orange Manbaby with a thing for young girls were friends in close proximity for years, it's because Clinton was too. This is the network of the party that practically invented both-sidesing.

I 100% guarantee no matter what comes of this it will 100% be all about Clinton anyway.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Well yes, because if it were Trump then it's obvious that Trump is a lone wolf maverick whereas Clinton is the total mastermind of over half the country and any of his failings automatically transfer over to people even tangentially related to him.

This is how this shit works in 2019.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Look at how often Clinton has come up here already. This is already going to be what they talk about for weeks, months, years. If solid proof emerges, it will drive the story further, but they won't wait for it to make it all about Clinton.

In any case, anyone found to be involved in this rape and abuse needs to be fucking obliterated and their legacies dismantled.

Look at how often Clinton has come up here already. This is already going to be what they talk about for weeks, months, years. If solid proof emerges, it will drive the story further, but they won't wait for it to make it all about Clinton.

In any case, anyone found to be involved in this rape and abuse needs to be fucking obliterated and their legacies dismantled.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Ol Bill is involved. And if he is I want him downriver asap.

I just dont want him to be treated as the super special case when it sounds like a lot of people involved have a lot to fucking answer for.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

What does it say about America that two of our presidents were associated with this guy?

Winky wrote: »

What does it say about America that two of our presidents were associated with this guy?

That we're not super special and being rich and powerful seems to more often than not coincide with some truly heinous behavior?

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Picking leaders by their magnetic charisma isn’t a great idea if you want to get serious, sincere people, since charisma is a skill people develop to manipulate people.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

That rich people have access to powerful politicians.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Picking leaders by their magnetic charisma isn’t a great idea if you want to get serious, sincere people, since charisma is a skill people develop to manipulate people.

I mean, we are finding that's the fundamental flaw in representative democracy as it currently exists in this country: it is hard to say that our democracy really works to serve the best interests of the people when enough money and enough lies can get some demographics to vote any way you want them to.

• ZekZek Registered User regular

I mean, we are finding that's the fundamental flaw in representative democracy as it currently exists in this country: it is hard to say that our democracy really works to serve the best interests of the people when enough money and enough lies can get some demographics to vote any way you want them to.

I mean in our system it's not even illegal for politicians to lie to their constituents - not even massive lies told in public about important issues. As long as they're not under oath, everything is fair game. We've done nothing at all to stop that, except to hope that voters are informed enough to know a liar when they see one, which of course they aren't because they're human and we're all easily manipulated by emotion.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This is drifting kinda far from the topic. We admittedly don't know much at this point, so speculating about how this shows that democracy is broken is maybe a bit much?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

I mean in our system it's not even illegal for politicians to lie to their constituents - not even massive lies told in public about important issues. As long as they're not under oath, everything is fair game. We've done nothing at all to stop that, except to hope that voters are informed enough to know a liar when they see one, which of course they aren't because they're human and we're all easily manipulated by emotion.

The first sentence is seemingly the status quo everywhere now. After all, Boris Johnson and Farage had the Brexit Buses driving around London with outright fabrications on them in 7 foot tall letters for months and saw no consequences.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Not looking forward to the shit show of coverage for this. In an ideal world the investigators would be far enough along that we would get a clear idea of whose involved very early on, and we would see actual consequences coming soon.

Instead what we will get is endless speculation based off of complete bullshit, done mostly on purpose as a misinformation campaign, until it’s not clear what’s true anymore. Then the stage will be set for the investigation to drag on for enough time that everyone forgets this was a thing, or actively decides it was a whole lot of nothing.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Not looking forward to the shit show of coverage for this. In an ideal world the investigators would be far enough along that we would get a clear idea of whose involved very early on, and we would see actual consequences coming soon.

Instead what we will get is endless speculation based off of complete bullshit, done mostly on purpose as a misinformation campaign, until it’s not clear what’s true anymore. Then the stage will be set for the investigation to drag on for enough time that everyone forgets this was a thing, or actively decides it was a whole lot of nothing.

Do we know that they don't know the scope?

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular

No idea. Just being a bit of a downer to set my expectations accordingly. I would love to see follow up stories that list only those people the investigators think have serious ties to the crimes. But my guess is we are going to see articles listing every person he ever met, with baseless accusations, so long as the name is big enough to drive clicks.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible

No idea. Just being a bit of a downer to set my expectations accordingly. I would love to see follow up stories that list only those people the investigators think have serious ties to the crimes. But my guess is we are going to see articles listing every person he ever met, with baseless accusations, so long as the name is big enough to drive clicks.

First good idea will be with the charging document tomorrow.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    I'm not going to be surprised if the shitty corporate media tries to skew this away from their favorites. On the other hand, if this sweeps up Trump, they might not because those fuckers deal in misery and scandal for their ratings.

We'll just have to see if any names show up tomorrow.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    really amazing that epstein ran a human trafficking ring without ever once interacting with anyone else

you'd think a ring would imply more people but nope it was just him the entire time

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Quick question: Is Epstein still in jail right this second?

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I fully expect the media to utterly fail to cover this appropriately.

Veevee wrote: »
    Quick question: Is Epstein still in jail right this second?

I really doubt it, a rich person would be able to make bail almost immediately if he was ever in a cell to begin with.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    really amazing that epstein ran a human trafficking ring without ever once interacting with anyone else

you'd think a ring would imply more people but nope it was just him the entire time

It wouldnt be that hard. I would expect that a lot of pols who got rides didnt partake but at the same time worked strings to make it harder to catch him. Even if passively. You cant get everyone to believe that you didnt have anything to do with the trafficking and so as soon as youre exposed youre basically compromised. Investigators have a bit of an incentive (for similar reasons) to ignore things pols are doing because the presence of an investigation often implies guilt.

The only real difficult thing to hide, in terms of people, would be procurement. Unless he was doing it himself You could innoculate pilots pretty well as there is no reason they have to see the people getting on their plane and they probably would not want to ask too many questions either. Parties involve compromised individuals and victims only. Victims could quite easily provide their own transportation.

wbBv3fj.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    this guy is definitely guilty as sin and I hope he gets a real sentence this time, but frankly I'm less concerned with prison time than I am with divesting him of his fortune

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I hope these women are ready for what is going to happen next.

Doe the US do things like name suppression for witnesses?

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Iirc we do but you still have to get witnesses to the stand to physically testify. And that means they can be identified

wbBv3fj.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Goumindong wrote: »

Iirc we do but you still have to get witnesses to the stand to physically testify. And that means they can be identified

You can put in an official deposition without going on the stand. That can happen in cases where the witness's is in danger. I think. IANAL.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Are we likely to actually know anything for a while or is it just going to be months of rumors?

Haven't heard anything about bail, so presumably.