As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plastic Free July/Life

lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
I could have sworn we had a Green Living thread somewhere.

Anyways, I'm wanting to get a bit more into the packaging free lifestyle. I'm slowly working on switching over the majority of my bathroom to being packaging free shampoo, soaps, etc.

I'm wanting to do the same with my kitchen soap, but I'm curious if a bar soap will have the same anti-bacterial type of stuff that I expect from a liquid kitchen hand soap. For cleaning my hands after handling raw meats and the like.

Is it possible to get an anti-bacterial bar of soap instead of the liquid soaps? Have you used one that you would recommend?

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Regular soap is antibacterial.

Edit: all soap kills bacteria regardless of the 'antibiotics' in it if you, you know, use it like soap instead of assuming it kills on contact

However, more recent reviews have suggested that antibacterial soaps are no better than regular soaps at preventing illness or reducing bacteria on the hands of users.[2][6]

In September 2016, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration banned the use of the common antibacterial ingredients triclosan and triclocarban, and 17 other ingredients frequently used in "antibacterial" soaps

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    thank you.

That was pretty much what I needed, but didn't quite know how to word the google search.

so i figured y'all would be smarter than me.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/197348/green-living-how-to-and-questions

Found this, but it's been dormant since October of last year, if that helps...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    How does one carry shampoo (a liquid) without some kind of package to hold it in one place???

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    How does one carry shampoo (a liquid) without some kind of package to hold it in one place???

Reusable containers. When you run out, you wash the container and take it back to the store for a discount on the next container of stuff. The Body Shop used to do this, I don't know if they still do.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Shampoo bars are also a thing.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Shampoo bars are the best.

Lush has some great ones, and you might even be able to find some local artisans/makers who are making their own as well.

Conditioner bars are also a thing

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I can dig moving away from unnecessary packaging...as I’m trying to saw through a blister pack.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    My anti favorite is scissors that come in packaging you need scissors to open up.

steam_sig.png