As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Achievement Unlocked] Bleep Bloop

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Oh cool, I got my 8,888th achievement!
    lUq4fh3.jpg

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I have a bit less then half that number of trophies. That is pretty impressive, if I remember the true achievements site setup the number in parenthesis is your actual score right? Closing in on 200k is pretty awesome. I am closing in on platinum 100. I may buy myself a cake.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    *sobs* Arteen has more individual achievements than me now! I've 8,831 achievements, 50 Challenges in 236 games and 5 apps.

Amusing thing is that you've played over 100 more games than I have. Kind of weird seeing that post given the rut I came here to post about too. Kind of been in a rut since breaking 200k gamerscore last year. It's so bad, that this year I've only gained ~2.5k gamerscore to date. Partly because I haven't really pushed to complete things, partly because I have way too many long run games going on with Anthem, The Division 2, Defiance 2050 and Warframe. By habit I try to only play 4-5 games at a time and swap out games when I complete one... because ideally I want to be at 90% completion, but I've been at 80% for so long and the games that I have in rotation are just making that impossible. Literally just been logging in to chip away at various achievements in the games. No new story to discover... it's not boring so much as uh... monotonous.

I think I'm just going to throw in Nier: Automata, completion percentage be damned.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    if we're posting stats ive got 8706 trophies, 49.7% completion

i barely play for trophies any more, though at one time i was pretty big into chasing them. its just kinda stacking them up over the years at this point.

Ah_Pook.png

• Options
    I started achievement hunting to save money. It distracted me from buying new games. Once I got my PS4 I found I really liked the trophy system better so just kept it up. Keeping my completion rate above 75% also helps keep me from buying games and adding to my huge backlog.

Furlion.png

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Does anybody have any large time differences between achievement unlocks in some games? It's fun to see progress in a game over multiple years.

I've been playing Trials Evolution again now that it's backward-compatible (yay!), and it's over seven years between my earliest achievement (5/12/2012) and most recent achievement (today). Crackdown is another one, which I started in Dec 2007 and completed in Dec 2013.

• Options
    I think my biggest so far is 2 years or so for gauntlet Slayer edition. It was just this massive grind time sink. It is nice to finally check them off the list though.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    In skate 3, I have achievements from 2010 all the way up to 2018

Same with Mirrors Edge, I have achievements from 2008, 2015, and still some left to go

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    My Dragon Age 2 achievements are like that. Also Halo 3 because they invented new ones later.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I just finished up The Lost Archive for ACR. All that is left are MP achievements and fuck that noise. I have two achievements for 100% in ACB and those are just not going to happen. I can only imagine how barren the online presence is for ACR. Now I'll finally start AC3. Huzzah!

The largest gap for achievements I have is a little over eight years. 2008/01/27 to 2014/04/01. In Saints Row. I have a few others that are in the seven year range. ACR has a four year gap. Most games I've either gotten all that I can/want or any new achievements are spaced out relatively evenly in comparison.

• Options
    I generally focus on one or two games at a time until I am completely done with them so I don't get big age gaps. Started Metal Gear Solid V and an really enjoying it so far. It is about 120 hours for the platinum trophy but several of my friends have it so I am definitely getting it.

• Options
    haha... I need to finish The Lost Archive. Isn't that hte first person perspective DLC?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Yes. Every annoying bit of it.

• Options
    Yeah, I stopped at trying to jump across some river without falling in or something weird... I guess I should go back and finish it.

• Options
    That part was annoying.

Then there is the achievement for getting across without failing... I probably restarted, from the beginning, a dozen times.

From start to finish it took me about five or six hours to get all 250gs.

• Options
    so what you're saying is... don't go back and try to finish it? got it. :p

• Options
    If you haven't finished the story, then sure. If you're grinding for gamerscore/trophies, well, that's up to you. My personal philosophy is to get all possible SP achievements. (With an acknowledgment that some are just straight bullshit.)

However, I hate first person gameplay. It's a constant struggle for me to move around in a game world where I have no way to determining 'physical' presence/location. Some games, like shooters, don't matter so much. You just run around and blow stuff up real good. And some games, like what ACR did or Mirror's Edge, just makes it a pain. Especially first-person jumping puzzles. It's all just some amazing bullshit.

Two achievements for The Lost Archive require you to move through large segments of a level perfectly. And that can be a hassle when you can't 'locate' yourself in the game world. Memory 4/the Animus was much, much harder than the River Styx. Failure still means restarting the whole memory, though.

What I'm not looking forward to is struggling to maintain a connection to XBL whilst playing through AC3. There is a reason I've had a decided lack of interest in playing anything new over the last few years. For both of those perfect level achievements I was almost terrified that I'd dropped connection and didn't notice.

• Options
    Just 1000/1000'd Rebel Galaxy, knocking off one of the SPs I've been kicking along for the past year. yay.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Finished Sekiro with 1000/1000.

That was a humbling experience for someone who did all the Dark Souls with few issues.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I've been grinding games in Talisman Digital Edition for the last couple trophies, and man I can't even imagine trying to get those trophies legitimately. First, you can play a full online game (taking 3+ hours to complete) and literally get no xp at the end. Second, it looks like the final trophy is going to pop around lvl 26 (for unlocking all the Runestones), and it's taking about 10 games to gain a level now with an optimized xp grinding setup. The setup let's you finish a game and get a bunch of xp in like 3-5 minutes, but when you're looking at having to play hundreds of games that still takes some pretty monotonous grinding. Anyway I should finish off the Platinum in the next couple days.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Nier: Automata is shaping up to have the dumbest story beats for me in a game this year, and I don't think the gameplay really carries it. (Real Spoilers in this post)
    Me: *on first launch* That attract video sure seems like it spoiled a lot of this game... nah.

*later*

Me: Yeah, humans are probably really dead.

Game: ~Le Twist~ The aliens are really dead, the machines killed them!

Me: Huh, Guess maybe the humans are alive then?

Game: W7RHOvo.gif

Humans are dead too and the android leadership is just pretending that they're still alive.

Me: uh... okay.

Game: Also after wars covering roughly 10,000 years of time or something the machines just realized viruses and hacking will kill androids too... Oh, yeah. After fixing one of the protagonists we're going to have them somehow get infected again and you get to slow walk them from one an absurd distance so they'll die anyway in a cripple walk sequence that was more grating than the one in Destiny 2. Here's a ledge you have to jump on. Oh wait, you can't jump RN try again when the bar progresses far enough for dramatic effect or whatever.

I just hope that one of the normal endings doesn't involve her or any of these androids somehow getting better. But this is like a depression-era Tomino tilt... done badly.

edit: Even the grotesqueries was more natural feeling than this game’s chain of events.

Might end up using that achievement shop as there's a ton of secret achievements plus the grinding out mats and I get the feeling this route or whatever will just double down on the stupid.

I was able to do this though (ending spoilers), so... there's that at least:

Really can't wait to be done with this game though.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Nier: Automata is shaping up to have the dumbest story beats for me in a game this year, and I don't think the gameplay really carries it. (Real Spoilers in this post)
    Me: *on first launch* That attract video sure seems like it spoiled a lot of this game... nah.

*later*

Me: Yeah, humans are probably really dead.

Game: ~Le Twist~ The aliens are really dead, the machines killed them!

Me: Huh, Guess maybe the humans are alive then?

Game: W7RHOvo.gif

Humans are dead too and the android leadership is just pretending that they're still alive.

Me: uh... okay.

Game: Also after wars covering roughly 10,000 years of time or something the machines just realized viruses and hacking will kill androids too... Oh, yeah. After fixing one of the protagonists we're going to have them somehow get infected again and you get to slow walk them from one an absurd distance so they'll die anyway in a cripple walk sequence that was more grating than the one in Destiny 2. Here's a ledge you have to jump on. Oh wait, you can't jump RN try again when the bar progresses far enough for dramatic effect or whatever.

I just hope that one of the normal endings doesn't involve her or any of these androids somehow getting better. But this is like a depression-era Tomino tilt... done badly.

edit: Even the grotesqueries was more natural feeling than this game’s chain of events.

Might end up using that achievement shop as there's a ton of secret achievements plus the grinding out mats and I get the feeling this route or whatever will just double down on the stupid.

I was able to do this though (ending spoilers), so... there's that at least:

Really can't wait to be done with this game though.

I bought most of the trophies. No shame. The endings, other then the main 5, don't really add anything to the game. The weapons are just mindless grinding. Same thing with the optional super boss, you just end up getting to max level and then beating him down. I feel like the ability to buy trophies was both a jab at players and a subtle nod at how dumb a lot of the trophies were.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    What are the prices like in the shop? I can probably just sell all my chips if it gets down to it.

most enjoyable thing about the game for me is its music, for sure.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    What are the prices like in the shop? I can probably just sell all my chips if it gets down to it.

most enjoyable thing about the game for me is its music, for sure.

Reasonable, especially if you just backup your save, buy a few trophies, and then load the backup. I think I had to do it once.

• Options
    ah, so it doesn't force a save on use? That's good to know... as I'm sure the plot trajectory is veering even deeper into dumb.
    I decided to change from A2 to 9S, this sequence has a Xenogears last disc feel to it, and during the 9S part I went through Pascal's village to get to the forest doodad and it was wiped out. When I finished that part and hopped back onto A2, it's not wiped out and the quests are all "help the children." Trying way too hard to push into downer turf.

I think I'm just going to stick with A2 unless it makes me play as 9S as he seems to be far ahead of her time wise.

• Options
    The next achievement I get will be number 4000. Whatever it is will be from AC3.

• Options
    Finally done with Ghost Recon - Wildlands 1500/1500

That only took 2 years.

• Options
    Reminds me that I need to go back and try and wrap up those last few division 1 achievements and ugh... man... it got worse.

Like... I think this game's plot is trying for feels harder than an oscar bait movie... like... it's not even trying to Tomino. It's just... what was even the point of controlling that one character for like five minutes?

I wouldn't be surprised if they start bringing characters back to life just so I can boss fight kill them at this point. o_o

• Options
    I earned the platinum in division 1 and wildlands but none of the dlc stuff. The story of wildlands was much worse then division to me since they desperately wanted you to agree that having a covert US team murder their way across Bolivia was just the best. Oh and let's not forget about all the implied torture threats plus the US prison system being so heinous they would rather risk their life then be sent here. I had to skip every cut scene from about the halfway point on.

• Options
    Yeah, I just need someone to go rogue and let me kill them because I really dislike that mechanic. :T

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Lets just say I’m not exactly preordering Breakpoint.

The vehicle controls/physics in Wildlands was some 90’s level of bullshit that shouldnt be tolerated in a post-GTA world.

Especially motorcycle controls make no fucking sense, felt like driving a potato, whoever signed off on that one is a goddamn idiot, one of the DLC has Motorcycle obstacle courses, I got through those with an 18+ profanity rating.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    The only thing that's jumped out to me about that game is Jon Bernthal, heh.

My impressions of Wildlands from the videos and the like was Just Cause: Serious Edition

• Options

My impressions of Wildlands from the videos and the like was Just Cause: Serious Edition

Combined that with more then a smidge of American jingoism (which really means white pride at the point the game was made) and yeah you are spot on.

• Options
    I didnt care much for the premise, I just wanted a game I could play with friends in.

They checked out long before the DLC though.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

Only if his good dog is in the game, and the dog switches sides, and I can pet the dog.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Wildlands was a LOT of fun with friends, but only kinda fun by myself. I never did finish it, but I did get a number of hours out of it and never bought the DLC.

The most confusing thing was the helicopter controls; what the fuuuuuuuuuck *crashes into the side of a hill*

• Options
    edited July 2019
    They made a “New” Helicopter control that is a semi-passable copy of GTA’s.

Motorcycle control is still an atrocity.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    I came into it a year after release (just like division 1 actually) and while they took some adjusting I got used to them. The semi random nature of the drops was also pretty shit. I did end up with a super nasty suppressed epic submachine him though

• Options
    Get the feeling I shouldn't have put off getting those 3 last stand wins, heh.

• Options
    Stuck in a rut: I have completed 96% of the quests and I'm assuming the last 4% is from the get all the enemy intel sidequest because reasons... and I've peaked at 89% unit data for that... though it wouldn't surprise me if I couldn't complete this quest without actually beating the game or something as that's probably where the last percent are. I can only imagine the reward the quest offers will be beyond useless after having killed the vast majority of the things in the game at least once too... but eh. Was trying to complete that last quest because I saw that there's an NPC that evaluates your progress up to that point or whatever... but I think I'm just going to keep going. have to finish this nonsense.

This intel tab is driving me crazy... I'm at like 64% of 80% needed for archives; and there's no more chests (I've been using the item finder chip too... so that's probably also chapter select too... IDK. I have 16% Novel completion, and 96% Tutorial? What else could this game possibly have at this point that would warrant a tutorial entry?

I only have 48% fishing because I stopped that once I got the achievements for it. Shifting even further toward the in-game buy of achievements when I can do it.