As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean Pelosi for years has had this image of a vote bender in the caucus and then with this recent fold I call bullshit. Honestly the dem congressional leadership betrayed the country and should be tossed on their ass and new leadership appointed.

The Senate caved. The bill passed 84-8. That gives Pelosi very little leverage over the moderates in the House.

shryke on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I mean Pelosi for years has had this image of a vote bender in the caucus and then with this recent fold I call bullshit. Honestly the dem congressional leadership betrayed the country and should be tossed on their ass and new leadership appointed.

The Senate caved. The bill passed 84-8. That gives Pelosi very little leverage over the moderates in the House.

I'm well past caring why dem leadership keeps failing. Tired of their horseshit excuses and their "slow down hold on slow down". This vote is emblematic of a problem in america and the gutless whining Pelosi is doing to maureen fucking dowd of all people is a good example of why she should go.

We have people in concentration camps, we have children suffering and dying, and the dem leadership is offering fucking thoughts and prayers and all the money it can approve to the people doing the killing. That's a fucking problem for me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    See my previous posts on this thread for all the things they could have done other than going on record as supporting this, by voting for it.

I mean, isn't that what we're constantly saying we need to do to the Republicans? Get them on record, "make them own it"? Well, now there are a whole bunch of D names on that record, in the wrong column.

It all depends what you think they are "making them own" though. Because there's a bunch of stuff in the bill for funding various things it may not look good to vote against.

Which is the core issue here it seems. The moderates did not want to be seen creating gridlock in Congress or refusing to fund aid money for the border or the like.

Then get out there, take control of the messaging, and make it clear that's not actually what they were being asked / allowed / forced to vote on. Make it clear "this is a shit bill to fund concentration camps and I refuse to vote for it."

No, you won't reach the folks who only watch FOX, but they weren't going to listen to you anyway. You can reach everyone else, and IMO the counter message (per above) is not hard to frame or understand.

Commander Zoom on
    edited July 2019
    See my previous posts on this thread for all the things they could have done other than going on record as supporting this, by voting for it.

I mean, isn't that what we're constantly saying we need to do to the Republicans? Get them on record, "make them own it"? Well, now there are a whole bunch of D names on that record, in the wrong column.

It all depends what you think they are "making them own" though. Because there's a bunch of stuff in the bill for funding various things it may not look good to vote against.

Which is the core issue here it seems. The moderates did not want to be seen creating gridlock in Congress or refusing to fund aid money for the border or the like.

Then get out there, take control of the messaging, and make it clear that's not actually what they were being asked / allowed / forced to vote on. Make it clear "this is a shit bill to fund concentration camps and I refuse to vote for it."

No, you won't reach the folks who only watch FOX, but they weren't going to listen to you anyway. You can reach everyone else, and IMO the counter message (per above) is not hard to frame or understand.

That's why, if you can suppress your gag reflex enough, you should read that Dowd piece. Because it's clear that's the what Pelosi wants to talk about. That the GOP is the one running these camps and doesn't even want to allow any sort of basic funding controls to make sure that this bill improves the conditions. And given that it's really obvious how badly they've failed at defining the debate over this bill in those terms.

But even your framing here misses what is going on because the argument was more over how to fund these concentration camps to try and make the conditions slightly more humane and add some small amount of oversight. Those were the provisions that the Senate and then the House moderates caved on when McConnell refused to include them. That's what was being voted on. And that's a lot less stark framing of the issue.

shryke on

I'm well past caring why dem leadership keeps failing. Tired of their horseshit excuses and their "slow down hold on slow down". This vote is emblematic of a problem in america and the gutless whining Pelosi is doing to maureen fucking dowd of all people is a good example of why she should go.

We have people in concentration camps, we have children suffering and dying, and the dem leadership is offering fucking thoughts and prayers and all the money it can approve to the people doing the killing. That's a fucking problem for me.

And this vote was not about that issue. This was not a vote for or against concentration camps. That vote was back in 2016 when Trump won and will only come up again for a vote in 2020. This was basically status quo or better funded concentration camps plus some other funding. Pelosi and the House tried to get provisions for funding of specific things in there, the Senate killed that. If this bill didn't pass, there's still the same concentration camps for kids going on that there were a month ago.

Like, we can talk about the complete failure to control the narrative around the bill but fundamentally that's about all that's up for grabs here. Democrats can't solve this problem right now. Not because of lack of will but because they lost too many elections.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    That still doesn’t explain why Pelosi saw fit to call out those 4 specific congresspeople for ‘using the twitters’

If it’s Trumps fault, or the Senate’s fault, or whatever reason is being used to explain why Democratic leadership has no agency or should not be held accountable for their words and actions today, why make it a point to call out those four and painting them as immature and incompetent?

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    "well, the bill will pass thanks to moderate Dems caving, but if the rest of the party takes a stand here the media narrative will just be Dems in Disarray, I guess we'll vote for this bill and hope nobody notices"

later:

"Speaker Pelosi, four prominent young Dems are yelling at you for voting for this bill. Are Dems in Disarray?"

brilliant strategy, greatest speaker in our lifetime

ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited July 2019
    Javen wrote: »
    That still doesn’t explain why Pelosi saw fit to call out those 4 specific congresspeople for ‘using the twitters’

If it’s Trumps fault, or the Senate’s fault, or whatever reason is being used to explain why Democratic leadership has no agency or should not be held accountable for their words and actions today, why make it a point to call out those four and painting them as immature and incompetent?

Because they are the ones getting a lot of press attention criticizing Pelosi and leadership in general for the whole bill. It's a thing that is happening in the news and she commented on it. She also said a lot of other things but, again, Democrats in Disarray is the press's favourite framing so they pulled that one quote and ran with it.

This is all the most insider baseball of DC shit and all the people being quoted here and reporting on it are eyes glued to that kind of shit.

shryke on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Honestly, those four almost never criticize Pelosi, at least publicly. Outside of this bill.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    But even your framing here misses what is going on because the argument was more over how to fund these concentration camps to try and make the conditions slightly more humane and add some small amount of oversight. Those were the provisions that the Senate and then the House moderates caved on when McConnell refused to include them. That's what was being voted on. And that's a lot less stark framing of the issue.

This implies that Pelosi thinks some combination of the following:

1. The camps are inhumane because of lack of funding.
    2. The Senate will act in good faith by mandating approved spending will go towards making them more humane.
    3. If mandated by the Senate, funds will actually go towards making the camps more humane.

I think she bungled this, but I don't think she's THAT much of a sucker.

Honestly, those four almost never criticize Pelosi, at least publicly. Outside of this bill.

Despite all the stories and twitter arguments and whatever, the new bunch of young congresspeople are very good at what they do. They control the media narrative well, they have a better grasp of the kind of people they are dealing with (both in the media and in the republican party) then the older members and they aren't stupid enough to refuse to work with the system to get shit done. As far as anything I've read they've generally had a good working relationship with Pelosi and the rest of leadership.

Doc wrote: »

2. The Senate will act in good faith by mandating approved spending will go towards making them more humane.
    3. If mandated by the Senate, funds will actually go towards making the camps more humane.

She thinks the camps are inhumane.
    She thinks more funding can help improve conditions.
    She inserted provisions into the House version of the bill to make sure new funding went towards those goals.
    This sets them up for a fight with McConnell in conference.
    That, as far as I can figure out, was the plan.

Then the Senate Dems caved on her. (Some articles had rumours that she was pissed right the fuck off at Schumer for this.)
    And then it didn't matter what she thought because the fight was lost. Basically the entire Democratic Senate Caucus voted for the bill. That's the whole ballgame right there.

She inserted provisions into the House version of the bill to make sure new funding went towards those goals.

Then the Senate Dems caved on her. (Some articles had rumours that she was pissed right the fuck off at Schumer for this.)
    And then it didn't matter what she thought because the fight was lost. Basically the entire Democratic Senate Caucus voted for the bill. That's the whole ballgame right there.

But after that, why vote for the bill? The only reason that I can see is to avoid splitting the party over the camps, except that that’s happened anyways.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    edited July 2019

That's why, if you can suppress your gag reflex enough, you should read that Dowd piece. Because it's clear that's the what Pelosi wants to talk about. That the GOP is the one running these camps and doesn't even want to allow any sort of basic funding controls to make sure that this bill improves the conditions. And given that it's really obvious how badly they've failed at defining the debate over this bill in those terms.

The time to do all of the above talking and justifying, to the media and the public, was before, or rather instead of, voting for the damned thing.

Commander Zoom on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It’s beyond idiotic to think that any funding from this 4.6 billion will go to making the children more comfortable.

1. The cruelty is the point.
    2. If the funding was gonna be used to protect the kids, then why write that out of the bill?
    3. The cruelty is the point!

They caved on changing the language in a promise from Mike Pence. If a Trump promise is worth less that wet fart in a rain storm, then Pence is worth less than that.

It’s bullshit, Pelosi knows it’s bullshit, but is pissed that she’s getting called out on it like she rightfully should be. Schumer is just feckless.

Edit: To clarify, Pelosi is rightfully being called out for funding concentration camps, not that she’s in the right for being pissed.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    The international community is paying attention as well:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/geneva-bachelet-us-migrants-1.5203545
    UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet is "appalled" at the conditions in which the United States is keeping detained migrants and refugees, including children, her office said in a statement on Monday.

"As a pediatrician, but also as a mother and a former head of state, I am deeply shocked that children are forced to sleep on the floor in overcrowded facilities, without access to adequate health care or food, and with poor sanitation conditions," the statement quoted Bachelet as saying.

Last week the Department of Homeland Security's inspector general published photos of migrant-holding centres in Texas' Rio Grande Valley crammed with twice as many people as they were meant to hold.

"In most of these cases, the migrants and refugees have embarked on perilous journeys with their children in search of protection and dignity and away from violence and hunger," Bachelet said.

"When they finally believe they have arrived in safety, they may find themselves separated from their loved ones and locked in undignified conditions. This should never happen anywhere."

Deprivation of liberty of adults should be a measure of last resort, and should be for the shortest period possible with legal safeguards and in conditions meeting international human rights standards, said Bachelet, the former president of Chile.

Detaining a child for even short periods under good conditions could have a serious impact on their health and development, she added.

"Border management … should not be based on narrow policies aimed only at detecting, detaining and expeditiously deporting irregular migrants,"she said...

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2019

I agree with this generally, but the bolded part is where I get stuck. It's not a lack of funding that is causing these conditions - "cruelty is the point" - the only way that adding funding will solve it is if you think that you can use it as a carrot to get Republicans to pass a bill with oversight. That relies on a swath of organizations from ICE to the Senate Republicans (and it turns out, Democrats) acting in good faith to support the oversight clauses, which I can't imagine she was prepared to do.

I guess she was more willing to do that than hold up the entire process, though. There was some math there, and I'm not privy to the information she used to come to her decisions.

It's just incredibly frustrating to see "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" playing out so obviously, and I'm at a loss for what to do about it, besides do my part to get Trump voted out in 2021.

Doc on
    It’s beyond idiotic to think that any funding from this 4.6 billion will go to making the children more comfortable.

2. If the funding was gonna be used to protect the kids, then why write that out of the bill?

They caved on changing the language in a promise from Mike Pence. If a Trump promise is worth less that wet fart in a rain storm, then Pence is worth less than that.

It’s bullshit, Pelosi knows it’s bullshit, but is pissed that she’s getting called out on it like she rightfully should be. Schumer is just feckless.

Edit: To clarify, Pelosi is rightfully being called out for funding concentration camps, not that she’s in the right for being pissed.

If the cruelty is the point, then this bill is irrelevant. Complaining that they are funding concentration camps is pretty weak when the other option is less funded concentration camps. And they didn't have the funding before, so it's not like it made a difference in what they did. Because, as you say, the cruelty is the point. And cruelty is free.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

If the cruelty is the point, then this bill is irrelevant. Complaining that they are funding concentration camps is pretty weak when the other option is less funded concentration camps. And they didn't have the funding before, so it's not like it made a difference in what they did. Because, as you say, the cruelty is the point. And cruelty is free.

Oh, well if it’s irrelevant, then why not just give them another 4.6 billion then?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.

Expanding the camps isn't though.

Astaereth wrote: »

But after that, why vote for the bill? The only reason that I can see is to avoid splitting the party over the camps, except that that’s happened anyways.

Yes, presumably the idea was to avoid splitting the caucus and insulate their members from attacks for "not funding the border" or whatever.

This seems to have failed completely because the press loves them a democratic party infighting story and because the dominant framing emerging around the bill within the democratic base builds itself around the idea that this was a vote on whether or not there would be concentration camps.

edited July 2019

Expanding the camps isn't though.

They do not seem to have been dissuaded by that up to this point. Like, more funding makes it easier but I don't see why anyone would think the Trump Admin would just decide to stop this because they ran out of money or something. The people crossing the border aren't gonna stop and the Trump Admin is not gonna get anymore ok with these people being in the US so it strikes me that the only way this goes, funding or no funding, is more people in camps.

shryke on

Yes, presumably the idea was to avoid splitting the caucus and insulate their members from attacks for "not funding the border" or whatever.

This seems to have failed completely because the press loves them a democratic party infighting story and because the dominant framing emerging around the bill within the democratic base builds itself around the idea that this was a vote on whether or not there would be concentration camps.

Nobody could possibly have foreseen those things? Particularly experienced legislative leaders?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I don't see how 'they were going to do it anyway' is a good reason to give Republicans political cover by passing the bill with bipartisan support

It's going to be super good when the candidates try to come out against the camps, and have to contend with the fact that their own party voted to fund them.

Nobody could possibly have foreseen those things? Particularly experienced legislative leaders?

When people talk about Pelosi being a good Speaker, they aren't talking about her being good at working the press. No one has ever credibly claimed the Democrats were good at working the press honestly. The new batch of congressfolk seem to have finally figured it out though, at least to some extent.

I'm not sure a split caucus on record looks better though.

Trust me: it looks better than voting to be complicit in funding concentration camps.

When the most charitable possible reading is that party leadership is incompetent at everything from whipping to messaging, ya done fucked up.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Democrats control the house. Republicans control the Senate. There is absolutely no reason for Democrats to not bounce back anything and everything vile to force the Senate into owning their garbage.

All this talk about how Pelosi had no choice because Senate Democrats turned traitor is bullshit. She didn't even bother trying to fight and when people rightfully called her out on it she attacks them instead of the shitstains in the Senate

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I don't see how 'they were going to do it anyway' is a good reason to give Republicans political cover by passing the bill with bipartisan support

It's going to be super good when the candidates try to come out against the camps, and have to contend with the fact that their own party voted to fund them.

I see it as politics in general, which is terrible horrific bullshit to use kids in camps as political fodder... but it's the Republicans doing this and not the Democrats. The message boiled down to 'give us more money to house the migrants, or we run out of money and you can watch them starve to death'. You're basically getting mad at the group who decided to give up the money rather that shoot what's effectively hundreds of thousands of hostages.

This is not a situation the Democrats are going to be able to improve on until the 2020 elections. The best they can do is what's already happening, the investigations, the hearings, and the court cases. Shit, anyone paying mild attention to the situation knows it's the GOP and Trump's doing, and apparently some of us are getting mad that the Democrats didn't kill immigrant prisoners in order to try and make the GOP look worse.

How goddamn petty.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Madican wrote: »
    Democrats control the house. Republicans control the Senate. There is absolutely no reason for Democrats to not bounce back anything and everything vile to force the Senate into owning their garbage.

All this talk about how Pelosi had no choice because Senate Democrats turned traitor is bullshit. She didn't even bother trying to fight and when people rightfully called her out on it she attacks them instead of the shitstains in the Senate

She can't credibly bounce it back to the Senate when most of her party there is backing the bill. Senate Democrats are still Democrats. That's why House Dems then caved too. Because once the vote came in, they knew Pelosi had way less leverage on them.

She can't credibly bounce it back to the Senate when most of her party there is backing the bill. Senate Democrats are still Democrats. That's why House Dems then caved too. Because once the vote came in, they knew Pelosi had way less leverage on them.

Yes she can. She just chose not to in an attempt to save political face. She put her own status and power over doing the right thing and that tells me everything about her

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    She can be good at her job while fucking up at a crucial moment. No one claimed she is perfect. This was a blunder, though.

Quiotu wrote: »
    apparently some of us are getting mad that the Democrats didn't kill immigrant prisoners in order to try and make the GOP look worse.

How goddamn petty.

I submit that this framing is bullshit and I refuse to accept it, which is also IMO what Pelosi should have done.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

Party over country? Party over ethics? That does seem to be the point you are arguing that Pelosi felt she was forced to take.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    The camps are going to exist until we get rid of republican control of the federal government. They aren't gonna reduce population in the camps due to lack of funds, they will just let the conditions deteriorate further.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Pelosi feeling its more important to put the young progressives in their place than do anything about children dying on the boarder is all I need to know about what she's going to do in the future.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

So basically the republicans held funding hostage (remind anyone of something?) in order to keep the concentration camps running and the moderates caved.

Maybe it's not directly Pelosi's fault, but "close the concentration camps" should be an easy sell. This is a genuine instance of stupid "political calculus" fucking people over.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    If she's just going to do whatever the fuck the Senate Dem's do then what's the point of her chamber at all?
    Just hang a "do whatever" sign on the door and let the senate run shit.

Shit like this is why people stay home and play xbox instead of voting.

Sleep wrote: »
    The camps are going to exist until we get rid of republican control of the federal government. They aren't gonna reduce population in the camps due to lack of funds, they will just let the conditions deteriorate further.

They are going to do that with increased funds too.

Sleep wrote: »

Then let the Republicans vote to give them those funds, not have the Democrats willingly step into the role of appeasing the fucking Nazis

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

So basically the republicans held funding hostage (remind anyone of something?) in order to keep the concentration camps running and the moderates caved.

Maybe it's not directly Pelosi's fault, but "close the concentration camps" should be an easy sell. This is a genuine instance of stupid "political calculus" fucking people over.

But "Close the concentration camps" isn't even close to being an option right now because republicans control the federal government and will actively oppose that option.

This discussion has been closed.