As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Quiotu wrote: »
    apparently some of us are getting mad that the Democrats didn't kill immigrant prisoners in order to try and make the GOP look worse.

How goddamn petty.

I submit that this framing is bullshit and I refuse to accept it, which is also IMO what Pelosi should have done.

The camps are there, and will continue to be there. Do you think lack of funding will make them stop using the camps?

Because have adults and children dying in their care made them stop giving a shit up until now? I don't get the end result you want here... a moral victory? It's going to be a lot harder to proclaim moral superiority when the immigrants start to die faster than before, because you won't fund their survival.

it'd be a lot easier to believe this if the "fund their survival" part had been added in there somewhere

It was. The Senate stripped it out.

exactly, that's why you send it back with "put oversight back in" again and again and again

Senate Democrats overwhelmingly voted for it already so that doesn't happen. McConnell laughs at you and the press reports on Democratic infighting between the Senate and the House killing the bill and in this case that would actually be accurate.

so what? fuck senate dems. hang them out to dry. I'd rather that than give $texas to nazis who specifically say they will not bother to provide oversight into their concentration camps.

Because it doesn't get you the message you want. That's why it matters.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It's not fucking border security though. Like letting the GOP claim it is, is one reason the dems are in the position they are in.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    apparently some of us are getting mad that the Democrats didn't kill immigrant prisoners in order to try and make the GOP look worse.

How goddamn petty.

I submit that this framing is bullshit and I refuse to accept it, which is also IMO what Pelosi should have done.

The camps are there, and will continue to be there. Do you think lack of funding will make them stop using the camps?

Because have adults and children dying in their care made them stop giving a shit up until now? I don't get the end result you want here... a moral victory? It's going to be a lot harder to proclaim moral superiority when the immigrants start to die faster than before, because you won't fund their survival.

it'd be a lot easier to believe this if the "fund their survival" part had been added in there somewhere

exactly, that's why you send it back with "put oversight back in" again and again and again

Senate Democrats overwhelmingly voted for it already so that doesn't happen. McConnell laughs at you and the press reports on Democratic infighting between the Senate and the House killing the bill and in this case that would actually be accurate.

so what? fuck senate dems. hang them out to dry. I'd rather that than give $texas to nazis who specifically say they will not bother to provide oversight into their concentration camps.

the message "the house will not support extra concentration camp funding" is the exact message every decent person in the country should want

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

How goddamn petty.

Senate Dems wanted to vote for the bill to protect their right flank on border security. Pelosi could have sent back the bill saying “I’m not passing this without oversight.” Republicans can’t be negotiated with, but Democrats should be a different story. If Pelosi holds up a vote Senate Dems want, then Senate Dems can tell McConnell they’re not voting for it without oversight.

Pelosi didn’t have to cave on this, she chose to cave on it.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

How goddamn petty.

So this whole thing about them being complicit in funding concentration camps is the message they want?

These old Democrats absolutely suck at actually getting the messaging they want and then turn around to yell at the younger ones when they prove they know how to actually succeed

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    It reminds me of the framing against the Wayfair walkout.

Wayfair Employees: “We don’t want our company profiting off concentration camps!”
    Fox & the GOP: “Oh, so you don’t want those children to have beds? Who are the real monsters here?”

The bill dies: Nancy Pelosi wants immigrant children to suffer worse, without funding!
    The bill passes: Nancy Pelosi supports concentration camps!

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    It reminds me of the framing against the Wayfair walkout.

Wayfair Employees: “We don’t want our company profiting off concentration camps!”
    Fox & the GOP: “Oh, so you don’t want those children to have beds? Who are the real monsters here?”

The bill dies: Nancy Pelosi wants immigrant children to suffer worse, without funding!
    The bill passes: Nancy Pelosi supports concentration camps!

At least the Wayfair employee's actually fucking walked out though.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Son of a fucking bastard, I knew Barr was going to be more trouble than just the Mueller investigation shit he pulled. God our country is so compromised right now.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    “Go drink from the toilet” is not a funding issue

People crammed into cells while other areas stand empty is not a funding issue

Hate speech on a CBP Facebook group is not a funding issue

Democratic leadership failed here because once again they decided against making an argument

They could have said, “Recent reports of conditions in these camps are shocking and horrible. The American people will not stand for mistreating human beings on our soil, and until the camps are closed we will not vote to give CBP a single cent in funding.”

But they didn’t.

No one's saying that wasn't an option... it's just hard to put the blame on Pelosi when the entire Senate turned their back on her during the showdown. Be mad at Democrats, be especially mad at Senate Democrats... Pelosi choosing to fight the camps in a different way after her Senate brethren caved isn't good optics, but at that point there were no good optics. She lost... stretching it out would only further smear the message of Democrats losing support.

Stretch it out, eat the bad narrative. This is one of the rare times I think the fight itself is worthwhile, no matter the consequences. Even if the 'pubs stonewall it, even if the messaging of it fails, even if it does not move the needle on public opinion, it is very, very important that concentration camps are flatly fought against in the legislature. If that means all you can do is "not be complicit", then do it.

How goddamn petty.

Senate Dems wanted to vote for the bill to protect their right flank on border security. Pelosi could have sent back the bill saying “I’m not passing this without oversight.” Republicans can’t be negotiated with, but Democrats should be a different story. If Pelosi holds up a vote Senate Dems want, then Senate Dems can tell McConnell they’re not voting for it without oversight.

They already voted for it. There's nothing to negotiate with. It's already a done deal when it comes back to Pelosi. Senate Dems put the Democratic Party on record as for the bill as the McConnell wanted it.

How goddamn petty.

They already voted for it. There's nothing to negotiate with. It's already a done deal when it comes back to Pelosi. Senate Dems put the Democratic Party on record as for the bill as the McConnell wanted it.

it absolutely is not!

Madican wrote: »

How goddamn petty.

So this whole thing about them being complicit in funding concentration camps is the message they want?

These old Democrats absolutely suck at actually getting the messaging they want and then turn around to yell at the younger ones when they prove they know how to actually succeed

The message in the press is more "AOC vs Pelosi FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT" from what I've seen. They've been pushing it since she ran in the primary and they are finally really getting it for real.

The point though was that you are thinking Pelosi kills the bill and then goes "We won't fund concentration camps!". But what imo actually happens there is Pelosi kills the bill and you get "Democratic party infighting kills border funding bill" as the headlines and no mention of the other shit.

None of which is to say they don't suck at controlling the messaging.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

How goddamn petty.

The message in the press is more "AOC vs Pelosi FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT" from what I've seen. They've been pushing it since she ran in the primary and they are finally really getting it for real.

The point though was that you are thinking Pelosi kills the bill and then goes "We won't fund concentration camps!". But what imo actually happens there is Pelosi kills the bill and you get "Democratic party infighting kills border funding bill" as the headlines and no mention of the other shit.

This is still the right way to go.
    The people who will believe "Democratic party infighting kills border funding bill" already think the democrats are for open borders.
    There is zero harm in that headline in terms of votes.
    The opposite is not true.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

How goddamn petty.

These funds are not going to improve the lives of these people.

These funds will enable them to lock up more people. Subject more people to these conditions. Hire more ICE agents. Make more broad stroke arrests. Scan more drovers licenses. Be more cruel.

Why are we still trying to argue that these funds will improve conditions for the people that are imprisoned? It won’t, the cruelty is the point! All it does is enable the racists to racist even harder.

This is a 4.6 billion dollar check to imprison and kill more kids. We know this because the language to protect them was removed.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

How goddamn petty.

Then they need to fucking do that, or hand "leadership" over to people who can.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

How goddamn petty.

These funds are not going to improve the lives of these people.

These funds will enable them to lock up more people. Subject more people to these conditions. Hire more ICE agents. Make more broad stroke arrests. Scan more drovers licenses. Be more cruel.

Why are we still trying to argue that these funds will improve conditions for the people that are imprisoned? It won’t, the cruelty is the point! All it does is enable the racists to racist even harder.

This is a 4.6 billion dollar check to imprison and kill more kids. We know this because the language to protect them was removed.

At least most of that money will probably just dissapear into the grift machine without having much of a material affect.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious

How goddamn petty.

it absolutely is not!

It is. Votes are on record. Bill is passed. McConnell has everything he needs and no reason in the world to ever back down. He's got a massively bipartisan bill to wave around whenever the issue comes up. And all it needs is the House to pass it.

The House has no leg to stand on here with even their own party. They already made their choice and put it on record.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

How goddamn petty.

Yes. Shryke, it feels like you’re saying “Sure, they didn’t achieve any policy aims, but on the other hand, they didn’t get a good message out either.” On what level are you defending these decisions?

ACsTqqK.jpg

How goddamn petty.

it absolutely is not!

It is. Votes are on record. Bill is passed. McConnell has everything he needs and no reason in the world to ever back down. He's got a massively bipartisan bill to wave around whenever the issue comes up. And all it needs is the House to pass it.

The House has no leg to stand on here with even their own party. They already made their choice and put it on record.

yeah, but so what? that's arguing in favor of the "yes, mom, my friends are all jumping off a cliff" bill.

Aridhol wrote: »

How goddamn petty.

The people who will believe "Democratic party infighting kills border funding bill" already think the democrats are for open borders.

Nah, this is not true at all imo. Plenty of democratic voters view "border security" as an important issue. It's a mistake to think that anyone who cares about this stuff must be an immovable GOP base voter.

How goddamn petty.

Nah, this is not true at all imo. Plenty of democratic voters view "border security" as an important issue. It's a mistake to think that anyone who cares about this stuff must be an immovable GOP base voter.

So you make it clear this is not about "border security", it's about concentration camps. Take control of the damn narrative!

I feel like we're talking in circles here.

edited July 2019

How goddamn petty.

Yes. Shryke, it feels like you’re saying “Sure, they didn’t achieve any policy aims, but on the other hand, they didn’t get a good message out either.” On what level are you defending these decisions?

I'm saying the same thing I said when this first dropped. That way too much blame is shifting down to the people with the least agency over how this went down and that, specifically here, arguments that Pelosi should have just killed the bill and that this would have been easy and gotten good messaging are at best not at all certain to be true.

In general Democrats have failed at winning the messaging war on this (as evidenced, if nothing else, by how everyone in the press or twitter or here or anywhere is complaining about Pelosi or talking about Democratic infighting instead of blamming McConnell and the GOP) but it does not seem to me that there are any good moves to be made once the Senate Democrats cave completely and throw their support behind McConnell's bill anyway. And these are separate issues in that they can fail on messaging regardless of what the Senate Dems do and that even good messaging leaves you with no real options once the Senate Dems cave.

shryke on
    edited July 2019

How goddamn petty.

I'm saying the same thing I said when this first dropped. That way too much blame is shifting down to the people with the least agency over how this went down and that, specifically here, arguments that Pelosi should have just killed the bill and that this would have been easy and gotten good messaging are at best not at all certain to be true.

In general Democrats have failed at winning the messaging war on this (as evidenced, if nothing else, by how everyone in the press or twitter or here or anywhere is complaining about Pelosi or talking about Democratic infighting instead of blamming McConnell and the GOP) but it does not seem to me that there are any good moves to be made once the Senate Democrats cave completely and throw their support behind McConnell's bill anyway.

DON'T VOTE FOR THE BILL, AND TELL THE COUNTRY WHY NOT.

there. done.
    why is (was) this apparently so fucking impossible?

Commander Zoom on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I mean, yeah, you won't ever catch me saying Chuck Schumer isn't part of the problem

How goddamn petty.

How goddamn petty.

it absolutely is not!

All true. Keep fighting it anyway. The legal and lawful levers of power are being used to put children in concentration camps. It is vitally important that we not concede that those same legal and lawful levers of power cannot be used to close these concentration camps. It is vitally important that we not concede that the wielders (and those who elected them) of those levers of power cannot be convinced or coerced into closing these concentration camps.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean we've seen in the past Boehener and Ryan would just not hold votes on things they didn't want to pass. But Pelosi didn't do that because she's beholden to the idiotic Joe Biden "we have to work with them to get them to listen to us" brand of politics.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

How goddamn petty.

So you make it clear this is not about "border security", it's about concentration camps. Take control of the damn narrative!

I mean, yeah, it's about concentration camps. But it's only about how well funded you want those concentration camps to be. You are either symbolically against the camps but leaving them underfunded or are you for trying to improve conditions in them by funding those camps better. And it's also still about border security or whatever because that's what the GOP is saying every time they get in front of a camera.

I think the framing of this issue is not as simple or as straightforward as you are thinking.

Interviewer: Speaker Pelosi, why didn’t you allow the Senate bill to be voted on?
    Speaker Pelosi: Because language to protect children from inhumane conditions was removed. We believe that children should be protected regardless of circumstances, why would McConnell purposely remove this language?

Parry and redirect. Seems pretty easy to me.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

How goddamn petty.

I mean, yeah, it's about concentration camps. But it's only about how well funded you want those concentration camps to be. You are either symbolically against the camps but leaving them underfunded or are you for trying to improve conditions in them by funding those camps better. And it's also still about border security or whatever because that's what the GOP is saying every time they get in front of a camera.

I think the framing of this issue is not as simple or as straightforward as you are thinking.

I don't see much daylight between "concentration camp" and "well funded concentration camp".

And that's even ignoring that the "well funded" part of the latter one doesn't mean improved conditions.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Interviewer: Speaker Pelosi, why didn’t you allow the Senate bill to be voted on?
    Speaker Pelosi: Because language to protect children from inhumane conditions was removed. We believe that children should be protected regardless of circumstances, why would McConnell purposely remove this language?

Interviewer: But your own party supports this language. Why are you letting children starve in camps because of lack of funding?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The thing that's really infuriating is the House already passed a border funding bill; they have a record to fall back on and can make the the question be "why is mcconnel so against protections for children."

Interviewer: But your own party supports this language. Why are you letting children starve in camps because of lack of funding?

Pelosi: These children can be fed with current funding. It is the Trump admin that chose not to feed them as cover in order to illicit more funds. We will not fund horrific acts with over 4 billion dollars of tax payer money, especially with language guaranteeing their protections ensured. Again I must ask, why was that language removed?

steam_sig.png

How goddamn petty.

Get out in front of the cameras too, and make your case to the people. If the framing is bad, change it. If you don't know how, find someone who does.

Otherwise, you're stuck with choosing between the two chalices your opponent offers you (both of which are poisoned) while he jabs you with Morton's Fork. No, fuck that. If you cannot win on the ground your foe has prepared for you, don't go there; change the site and form of the engagement.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

"Nancy Pelosi can't handle basic spin" isn't really the winning argument that you might think it is

Again, when the most charitable reading is "they're bad at their jobs"...

Again, when the most charitable reading is "they're bad at their jobs"...

Right?

One side funds the torturing of children because they are evil.
    The other funds because they are incompetent, but I guess that makes it okay.

steam_sig.png

edited July 2019

How goddamn petty.

Get out in front of the cameras too, and make your case to the people. If the framing is bad, change it. If you don't know how, find someone who does.

Otherwise, you're stuck with choosing between the two chalices your opponent offers you (both of which are poisoned) while he jabs you with Morton's Fork. No, fuck that. If you cannot win on the ground your foe has prepared for you, don't go there; change the site and form of the engagement.

Can't do that when the ground is the federal legislature.

Nobeard on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

How goddamn petty.

That isn't where the PR game is playedfor the most part.

edited July 2019
    Nobeard wrote: »

How goddamn petty.

That's when you go to the media and the public. And if they say "yes, that is what we elected you for, quit stalling and represent us", make sure they understand exactly what they are telling you to vote for

Commander Zoom on
    Shorty wrote: »

"Nancy Pelosi can't handle basic spin" isn't really the winning argument that you might think it is

Winning in what sense? Like, has anyone claimed they were good at media spin?

I just think y'all are just missing how this ends up playing out in the media. It's a classic Democrats In Disarray story and at best you get a he-said/she-said between the two chambers.

This discussion has been closed.