As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Had a thought last night about some character growth off screen before Endgame
    wonder how Pepper came to want an Iron Man suit? Tony has admittedly fucked up with gifts for her before (strawberries...) but it seemed like the Rescue suit is something she actually wanted? She's clearly adept at using it. Last we saw her in IW, she was disappointed that Tony had put a pseudo Arc Reactor thing on his chest again, so she still seemed pretty firmly anti-robot suit before the time skip.
    She had something she really wanted to protect.
    In the comics at least the Rescue suit was designed specifically for search and rescue operations and didn’t have weapons in it. Kind of a reverse of War Machine.

That was why Pepper actually used it.

This version at least looks to have some more iron man level weaponry in it though

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Edit; nvm, I'm not certain enough to say this definitively.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So after getting out of Far From Home, my friend asked when the next movie's out and I realised I didn't know? Or even what comes next?
    I've read about Guardians 3, Strange 2, Black Panther 2 and Black Widow, but I don't know where any or them are in production, when they're out or what order they'll be in. Do we have an announced roadmap for the next block of movies yet?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nope, no roadmap, just a set of release dates. Black Widow, or whatever they're calling it, is filming right now and will likely come out first. The Eternals movie and Shang-Chi are the next closest to being filmed, so they'll come out after that.

Doctor Strange 2 and Black Panther 2 seem like they're a reasonable way into hiring and script-writing, and GotG3 and Captain Marvel 2 are definitely going to be made but they'll be farther off. Also probably a third Spider-Man movie.

2 movies next year, then three in both years after that.

Plus the TV stuff on the Disney streaming channel.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I expect a slate will probably be revealed with more details at Comic Con, seems like a reasonable time and place for it.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Technically no upcoming movies are even officially announced accept for vague Feige quotes of him mentioning movies they are working on.

Black Widow and Eternals are the most obvious ones that should be coming next that they've pretty much said are in production. Shang-Chi seems like a safe bet for how much Feige has talked about it. Guardians 3 is announced but is a little ways off.

I'm pretty sure Black Panther and Dr. Strange sequels are just speculation and haven't been officially announced as far as I know. Black Panther is probably the safest best since the first movie did so immensely well. Did they ever convey that they are making Dr. Strange 2 though? I don't remember that one setting the world on fire.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Technically no upcoming movies are even officially announced accept for vague Feige quotes of him mentioning movies they are working on.

Black Widow and Eternals are the most obvious ones that should be coming next that they've pretty much said are in production. Shang-Chi seems like a safe bet for how much Feige has talked about it. Guardians 3 is announced but is a little ways off.

I'm pretty sure Black Panther and Dr. Strange sequels are just speculation and haven't been officially announced as far as I know. Black Panther is probably the safest best since the first movie did so immensely well. Did they ever convey that they are making Dr. Strange 2 though? I don't remember that one setting the world on fire.

Doctor Strange made $677 million worldwide and they built him up a lot in Infinity War. For comparison, Ant-Man made $519 million and already has a sequel (and even that sequel made $55 million less than Doctor Strange).

Ketar on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/06/28/doctor-strange-sequel-kevin-feige-marvel-studios/
    During a chat with Cinemablend at the event, Feige was asked about the next steps for the characters of Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers 4. The studio head quickly noted that Benedict Cumberbatch and Stephen Strange would definitely be back for more.

"Sometimes it's where do those characters pop up? [Doctor] Strange, you know, whenever we do another Strange [movie], which we will do, it will be a number of years from the first Strange, and yet he's a very big part of Infinity War," Feige explained. "So it is just a good problem to have when you have too many beloved characters that people want to see more of, whilst keeping to our core belief that we need to keep exploring nuance and keep doing different types of things."

So, even if it takes "a number of years" for another Doctor Strange movie to arrive, it at least means that the character will be returning once again. In addition to his first solo movie, Strange has appeared in Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I think the comics just set the table for mutants to join the MCU.
    Using Cerebro, among other aids, Emma Frost is able to hide the very concept of mutants across the globe. It's like they never existed, people just don't remember them.

My bet is the movies play this out on the back end. Mutants have always been in the MCU. Somebody will turn off the psychic cloaking and it will be free reign to have old mutants ready to rock and roll.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I think the comics just set the table for mutants to join the MCU.
    Using Cerebro, among other aids, Emma Frost is able to hide the very concept of mutants across the globe. It's like they never existed, people just don't remember them.

My bet is the movies play this out on the back end. Mutants have always been in the MCU. Somebody will turn off the psychic cloaking and it will be free reign to have old mutants ready to rock and roll.

And a scene in Avengers 7 will show the X-Men were fighting the Chitari during the Battle of New York just one street over from the Avengers.

sig.gif
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Marvel are being pretty good about not just making movies of their biggest earners (coughBatmancough), and Strange got a lot of extra attention from his fight with Thanos in IW showing what an non-origin-level Sorcerer Supreme could do.

If they were making sequels based on which movies scored large, we'd never have gotten Ragnarok after Dark World's reception.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Define 'scored large'. It made plenty/enough of money. Hence we get another. It may not be the biggest, but money is money.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Feels like they are putting too many eggs into their streaming basket. Kinda don't like that.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They're going to have plenty of movies. The streaming could fall into a black hole and it won't matter much in the end.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    They're going to have plenty of movies. The streaming could fall into a black hole and it won't matter much in the end.

The streaming could fall into a black hole and they'd go back to getting Netflix or Amazon to pay hundreds of millions or more for their content.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I saw "Spider-Man vs. Eurotrip".

I really really liked it and the post credits scene made me really interested to see what happens next.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I finally saw both Endgame and Homecoming this weekend, so I think I’m all caught up on all these movies. I really enjoyed Endgame and it make me want to go back and watch bits of a few of the others. I don’t consider myself a huge MCU fan, but I think I’ve basically enjoyed all of them except maybe Thor 2. I have a few quibbles with Endgame but they feel minor and generally in service of a more entertaining movie so they don’t bother me that much. The sign of a fun movie for me is that I immediately wanted to go online and read about all the little things I either caught or didn’t. Really impressive feat and I feel like Endgame did a good job of being fanservicey in really good but not hamfisted ways that retroactively made the older movies even more enjoyable.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Speaking of the mutants, it's looking like Dark Phoenix's total worldwide box office take will be significantly less than the last Fantastic Four, which was considered a major bomb.

I mean, holy shit.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The word of mouth around Dark Phoenix was among the worst in recent memory. Me and my friend even have a tradition of intentionally going out of our way to see bad or poorly reviewed movies (I saw the Hellboy reboot in theaters). We still avoided Phoenix.

It was the perfect storm of: retreading ground + not that amazing source material to start with + Fox X-Men

Is New Mutants even coming out?

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I disagree that the source material is bad. I love the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix sagas. All the space stuff was pretty good.

But that’s the catch; it’s a saga. You can’t cram all that into one movie and expect it to be good.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The word of mouth around Dark Phoenix was among the worst in recent memory. Me and my friend even have a tradition of intentionally going out of our way to see bad or poorly reviewed movies (I saw the Hellboy reboot in theaters). We still avoided Phoenix.

It was the perfect storm of: retreading ground + not that amazing source material to start with + Fox X-Men

Next year, allegedly. Last I heard there were supposed to be reshoots but none of the actors heard about it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I disagree that the source material is bad. I love the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix sagas. All the space stuff was pretty good.

But that’s the catch; it’s a saga. You can’t cram all that into one movie and expect it to be good.

See: Avengers vs. Justice League

What is crazy, and knocked me for a loop when it was pointed out (perhaps in this very thread), The Avengers is the 6th Marvel movie, and released 4 years after Iron Man.

Justice League was DC's 5th movie, though it was in a much more condensed release rate (Man of Steel was in 2013 and JL was 2018, yes, but there was a 3 year gap between MoS and BvS:DoJ, BvS to JL is only about a year and a half).

Time scale ramblings aside, they had almost as many minutes committed to (figurative) celluloid. Yeah, one of those films was Suicide Squad (which I'm contractually obligated to note is one of the worst movies I've ever paid to see in theaters, not that this was a shocking development given the word of mouth in the thread at the time).

I would love an in depth documentary that compared and contrasted the two franchises. Not in a tribalistic 'lol Marvel rules DC drools' kind of way, but in a thoughtful analysis of how both approached building a shared setting, and even having a bit of the blueprint to follow from Marvel leading that charge by over half a decade, how they managed to be so dramatically different despite appealing to similar fan bases with potentially substantial overlap. I mean, all fan boy flame wars aside, I imagine a whole lot of kids of the 80's and 90's grew up on both the X-Men cartoon (annnnd now the theme song will be stuck in my head all afternoon), AND on Batman: the Animated Series (and others) AND the Spider-Man cartoon, not to mention the various Superman & Batman movies, leading into the X-Men films that kind of kicked this all off in a way (which, contrasted with where X-Men films are today, Logan aside, is kind of depressing).

Both franchises had major advantages of pre-existing fan bases, of overlap in those fan bases, of merchandising, product placement, cultural penetration, comics, video games, etc.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Speaking of the mutants, it's looking like Dark Phoenix's total worldwide box office take will be significantly less than the last Fantastic Four, which was considered a major bomb.

I mean, holy shit.

Pretty inaccurate headline. DP has earned over half again more than F4, just the production budget was also more. They're saying DP only hit 1.2x budget, while F4 hit 1.39x budget, and therefore DP was a bigger bomb.

DP is already at ~1.25x budget, but yeah that's probably accurate, just the headline itself is kind of a misdirect. DP made more, ~$250m vs ~$168m.

Looking at BoxOfficeMojo, DP had a harder 2nd week drop, but F4 had a bigger drop in 1st Friday to 1st Saturday.

They both did terribly.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Next year, allegedly. Last I heard there were supposed to be re-shoots but none of the actors heard about it.

The only way New Mutants is ever seeing the light of day is MAYBE as a Disney+ exclusive. There's no way it's seeing the inside of theaters outside of a Fathom event. It's a shame about both movies. By all accounts they were re-shot in their entirety at least 3 times each. At some point you just gotta look at each other and say, "this isn't working" and just can the whole thing. The only reason I think either film made it as far as it has is due to the Disney buyout. Rupert Murdoch was just running out the clock before payday. It's a shame Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams fell in with such a disaster.

That_Guy on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Next year, allegedly. Last I heard there were supposed to be re-shoots but none of the actors heard about it.

The only way New Mutants is ever seeing the light of day is MAYBE as a Disney+ exclusive. There's no way it's seeing the inside of theaters outside of a Fathom event. It's a shame about both movies. By all accounts they were re-shot in their entirety at least 3 times each. At some point you just gotta look at each other and say, "this isn't working" and just can the whole thing. The only reason I think either film made it as far as it has is due to the Disney buyout. Rupert Murdoch was just running out the clock before payday. It's a shame Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams fell in with such a disaster.

Literally I've never heard that before, do you have any sources for that?

And New Mutants will likely go to theaters, just like DP they can detach it from X-Men. It probably won't do very well because we now live in this strange world where people will say, "what's the point? There won't be any sequels or spin-offs, these characters aren't going anywhere!" and then not see it. But at this point it would be dumb to not release it at all. You've spent money on it, try to recoup some of that.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Dark Phoenix should be either your first or second mutant centric event movie in whatever universe you plan to set them in.

It should be no earlier then the fourth "main" X-Men movie because killing Jean has zero impact if you're doing it to a new character or bringing her back to life fifteen minutes later.

But honestly the well is so poisoned you'd be better off avoiding it for a decade at this point.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »

Literally I've never heard that before, do you have any sources for that?

And New Mutants will likely go to theaters, just like DP they can detach it from X-Men. It probably won't do very well because we now live in this strange world where people will say, "what's the point? There won't be any sequels or spin-offs, these characters aren't going anywhere!" and then not see it. But at this point it would be dumb to not release it at all. You've spent money on it, try to recoup some of that.

On the other hand it delays the reset of the brand and potentially furthers consumer bad will depending on the quality of the product.

DP is out and in the toilet and someone at Disney knows how and when the mutants are getting trotted out again. New Mutants may or may not keep the fart smell in the car longer then desired.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

What is crazy, and knocked me for a loop when it was pointed out (perhaps in this very thread), The Avengers is the 6th Marvel movie, and released 4 years after Iron Man.

Justice League was DC's 5th movie, though it was in a much more condensed release rate (Man of Steel was in 2013 and JL was 2018, yes, but there was a 3 year gap between MoS and BvS:DoJ, BvS to JL is only about a year and a half).

Time scale ramblings aside, they had almost as many minutes committed to (figurative) celluloid. Yeah, one of those films was Suicide Squad (which I'm contractually obligated to note is one of the worst movies I've ever paid to see in theaters, not that this was a shocking development given the word of mouth in the thread at the time).

I would love an in depth documentary that compared and contrasted the two franchises. Not in a tribalistic 'lol Marvel rules DC drools' kind of way, but in a thoughtful analysis of how both approached building a shared setting, and even having a bit of the blueprint to follow from Marvel leading that charge by over half a decade, how they managed to be so dramatically different despite appealing to similar fan bases with potentially substantial overlap. I mean, all fan boy flame wars aside, I imagine a whole lot of kids of the 80's and 90's grew up on both the X-Men cartoon (annnnd now the theme song will be stuck in my head all afternoon), AND on Batman: the Animated Series (and others) AND the Spider-Man cartoon, not to mention the various Superman & Batman movies, leading into the X-Men films that kind of kicked this all off in a way (which, contrasted with where X-Men films are today, Logan aside, is kind of depressing).

Both franchises had major advantages of pre-existing fan bases, of overlap in those fan bases, of merchandising, product placement, cultural penetration, comics, video games, etc.

Consider how Snyder would have handled the Snap and the Blip.

Therein lies the difference. Content matters.

Oh, the differences in the creative teams alone would probably be a full episode or two of the Netflix mini series I’m envisioning.

Hawkeye has a new one-shot:
    https://youtu.be/jL2DcWB994s

(It's actually pretty catchy!)

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It cringes me and also make all the sense in the world Jeremy Renner has a band

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    I have always found it amusing when people are shocked to discover that some actors can sing and/or dance...

Of course they can. They are entertainers. It's their job.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I think Alexander Hawkeyeton could have stood to throw away that shot.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    I have always found it amusing when people are shocked to discover that some actors can sing and/or dance...

Of course they can. They are entertainers. It's their job.

Eh, it's a lot less common these days. Old-school actors commonly had training in singing, dancing, and some kind of instrument, but not so much these days. But the modern actor is also expected to be more of a "professional" than just an "entertainer". Why bother getting an actor to play their hobby instrument when you can get a professional musician to do the same instead?

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I tend to assume most actors were probably theater kids in school, so they probably have some experience in musicals and maybe band. Maybe not a lot would keep it up after high school though.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Something that I've thought about since my last rewatch of First Avenger, and seeing Cap toss that fool out the door at 40k feet, is what Avenger haven't we seen kill anyone? Scott and Peter are the ones who jump out at me as the most likely candidates.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    My nephew went and saw far from home today. He really enjoyed it and can't wait for me to see it to talk about it.

edited July 2019
    Peter kills, like a shitload of opponents in Endgame.

Even if we ignore the outriders as possibly more animal than not (I’ve read that in the comics they’re intelligent), he pulls one of the children of Thanos under Giant Man’s foot just before he and Stark have their mini reunion.

Yeah, it’s a war to save trillions, but I feel like it’s splitting hairs to avoid admitting every avenger has had to kill in the line of duty.

Granted, he strives to avoid killing humans, and certainly doesn’t in either of his own films.

Forar on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Something that I've thought about since my last rewatch of First Avenger, and seeing Cap toss that fool out the door at 40k feet, is what Avenger haven't we seen kill anyone? Scott and Peter are the ones who jump out at me as the most likely candidates.

Tony killed plenty of people in the very first Iron Man, both directly and indirectly.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
This discussion has been closed.