As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Resolved] PC won't boot

FremFrem Registered User regular
I have a 7 year old gaming PC. It's been showing random blue screens of death recently, with increasing frequency since I installed the June 2019 Windows 10 update. The BSOD stop codes have been PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and another one I didn't catch. I tried installing BlueScreenView to view the dumps, but the machine blue screened when I opened it.

I ran Memtest86 for an hour a few days ago, but it didn't show any errors.

I planned to roll back the Windows update this evening, but now the PC won't turn on.
  • The case fans run full blast non-stop. Normally they throttle down after BIOS POST.
  • None of the attached USB devices are getting power. The obnoxiously bright blue LED on my mouse is dark.
  • Neither the NVidia GTX 1060 nor the onboard Intel GMA graphics ports output anything. I've tried booting with only one plugged in to no avail.

Is this thing dead? Is there a way to tell for sure that this is a motherboard issue rather than, say, the PSU?

Thanks!

CPU: Core i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz
MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V LK (LGA1155)

Frem on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the PC not turning on at all pretty much eliminates Windows as an issue, at least immediately.

If you have a spare PSU, give that a try.

If you have multiple ram sticks, remove one and try booting, then try with the other, see if you can find a bad ram stick. Reminder here, there's usually a preferred RAM slot, A_1 for RAM, so if you're swapping ram around to test make sure the stick your booting from is in the correct slot.

Disconnect any peripherals you don't need. You mentioned tried plugging into the onboard video outputs, but if you don't remove the video card when trying that, they won't work at all regardless.

As you can kinda tell, generally what you want to do is start removing components to see if you find a bad part.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    FWIW, I've seen similar issues with a dead/dying video card. Not a definite, though. However, a dead/dying card could cause startup issues as well since the board isn't getting a good video output signal.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Finally got a chance to work on this properly. While I was poking around, I noticed a mobo LED labeled "DRAM" was solid red when the power was on. According to the manual this means that there's some sort of RAM issue. I reseated all the RAM sticks and held down a tiny "MEM_OK" button on the board during boot, and we're back to normal again.

Thanks for the help!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Sometimes, you have to re-seat the RAM.