As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gigabit speeds and routers

MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
I signed up for Gigabit service (FiOS) about 15 months ago. Since then, our wired service has been in the 700-800 Mbps range, when I bother to check.

I recently picked up a Netgear Nighthawk X6S from Costco and was farting around with it (I like it so far; wifi is a bit better than the TPLink it replaced). Most notably, I've noticed that wired speeds via the Nighthawk are on the order of 260-320 Mbps; whereas if I connect directly to the FiOS router, I get 700-800 Mbps.

It's hard for be to believe that you lose *that much* headroom by adding another router between yourself and the gateway. Is there potentially a setting I'm missing?

If it matters, here's some other facts:
  • I'm running a PiHole, connected to the FiOS router via ethernet cable
  • All wifi runs through the Nighthawk
  • Both routers are at my desk, so the cable run is very short
  • No service issues or connection issues with any other connected device on the network

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I signed up for Gigabit service (FiOS) about 15 months ago. Since then, our wired service has been in the 700-800 Mbps range, when I bother to check.

I recently picked up a Netgear Nighthawk X6S from Costco and was farting around with it (I like it so far; wifi is a bit better than the TPLink it replaced). Most notably, I've noticed that wired speeds via the Nighthawk are on the order of 260-320 Mbps; whereas if I connect directly to the FiOS router, I get 700-800 Mbps.

It's hard for be to believe that you lose *that much* headroom by adding another router between yourself and the gateway. Is there potentially a setting I'm missing?

If it matters, here's some other facts:
    • I'm running a PiHole, connected to the FiOS router via ethernet cable
    • All wifi runs through the Nighthawk
    • Both routers are at my desk, so the cable run is very short
    • No service issues or connection issues with any other connected device on the network

That seems pretty odd, are you perhaps using some older Cat5 (and not Cat5e or Cat6) cables in any of your connections? All of three X6S routers seem rated for at least gigabit wired speed. Do you know which specific X6S you have, could help with some trouble shooting.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Unless you have the Nighthawk's IP in the DMZ, you're done NATted. Losing a chunk of speed is not surprising then.

I would also remove the PiHole for now. If it runs right without it, try it connected to the nighthawk instead.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Is there a DMZ in the default firmware for the FiOS router?

I'll try swapping the patch cable. I hadn't tried that.

Is there a DMZ in the default firmware for the FiOS router?

I'll try swapping the patch cable. I hadn't tried that.

Make sure to reserve an IP for the Nighthawk first.

edited July 2019
    The patch cable was a Cat 5, so I swapped in a 5E cable. Still no change.

I tried disconnecting the PiHole from the network and speed didn't change.

I set up the DMZ Host for the IP of the Nighthawk and that didn't change things either (though I'm not 100% certain I did all the steps right because FiOS's software is a pain in the ass for anything beyond rote basics). I haven't power cycled either router in between each change, so I'm not sure if that matters.

The Nighthawk is M/N R7960P-100NAS; AC3600

Edit: I power cycled the FiOS router and now I'm getting nearly 400 Mbps on my phone via wifi, but ethernet speeds seem to have actually dropped by nearly 100Mbps.

Mugsley on
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, so things have changed a bit. I'm starting to tweak the location of the Nighthawk to get better wifi coverage, so I've just switched it to AP mode. That was easier than trying to mess with having the Nighthawk do all the heavy lifting and arguing with the gateway.

Also the wired ports on the Nighthawk are really screwy for top-end speed. I'm not sure if that has to do with the controller chip on board or possibly the quality of the ports. I now have a 8-port gigabit switch sitting next to the gateway, that everything plugs into. This will get tweaked further within the next year.

Edit: the good news is that wifi and ethernet speeds are over 300Mbps for most of the house now. The bad news is I can't find a decent spot for the router. And if I go forward with this configuration (likely), I may just return the router to Costco and use the money to pick up a Ubiquiti AP instead. Though if I did that, I'd either add or swap in a PoE switch so I don't need to use an injector.

Mugsley on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The Ubiquiti APs don't tend to have the range of the standalone consumer routers, because they're designed for environments where you have wired backhaul in every room.

I tried it, wasn't nearly good enough, and ended up with an Orbi kit. Eero is supposed to be nice, too.

a5ehren on
    I'm confused. Others in networking related threads swear that Ubiquiti APs are business-grade at a relatively reasonable price for consumers; and they have their best wifi experiences with them.

----
    I think I said in the PC Build Thread, that I was going to try an experiment. This morning, I completely removed the FiOS gateway from the network and inserted my old TPLink Archer C7. I enabled DHCP and shut off Wifi (so that the Nighthawk handles wifi on its own).

Everything is running super smooth and super fast. This is a fantastic proof of concept for when we drop FiOS TV service later in the year.

I was at first worried I'd need to call FiOS to get the router recognized, but everything seems to be running smoothly so far. I'm going to stay on it for a while to see if something changes if/when leases need to be renewed (though I suspect not). I was also worried because I thought I had to have the Ethernet port at the ONT enabled by FiOS, but I discovered this is already done by Verizon when you subscribe to Gigabit (which I am).

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    If you just need to cover a small home or apartment, then they would work great. Or if you're willing to run wired backhaul in a larger home.

I'm confused. Others in networking related threads swear that Ubiquiti APs are business-grade at a relatively reasonable price for consumers; and they have their best wifi experiences with them.

Because they're wired for the backhaul. Their range isn't as good because, like business APs, they're often used in large rooms/office spaces and not individual bedrooms. You don't need as much power when the AP is in the middle of a gym.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    businesses also tend to have more, less powerful AP's in a building so you don't end up overloading any single AP with too many clients.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar