As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Yeah, string skipping is one of those things that seems pretty basic, but it's something amazing players can struggle with at high speeds, at some point. Picking technique becomes a lot more important in those instances.

Oh god, yes. It's something I didn't start trying to perfect till just a few years ago

I'm in the exact same boat. I started playing around 1992, and learned quickly, but was never good at lead stuff. I could play pretty much any Metallica or Megadeth rhythm riff, but anything approaching a solo just made my fingers turn to mush. I just assumed I wasn't a lead player and went on with my life. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I picked up the guitar again after a long absence and actually started practicing, and my lead ability developed way beyond what I thought I could do. I'm still what I would consider "barely adequate", but the right practice can work wonders.

Watching that video and I'm reminded that TBH, one of the biggest challenges I face with RS in particular is that it's difficult to look from the note highway to the fretboard and back, especially when I have to do some kind of big shift from the bottom to the top of the neck or something like that.

That's something I've noticed I've improved greatly on by using Rocksmith. Not only just looking at the screen and moving my hands where they need to be, but also stuff like glancing down and picking out the 16th fret without really processing it.

That's good to know. I probably just need to spend more time on it (as with everything else).

(When I first started playing, back in the 1980s, a lot of my "practicing" time was spent in my room sitting on a chair playing tab from magazines that were open on my bed.)

JOE_1967 on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    (When I first started playing, back in the 1980s, a lot of my "practicing" time was spent in my room sitting on a chair playing tab from magazines that were open on my bed.)

Yeah, that's exclusively what I did. Learned songs from tabs and played along with CDs. I never owned a metronome and never did any kind of exercises. Just learning songs was enough to carry me pretty far, but it did hold me back in key areas.

• Options

Yeah, that's exclusively what I did. Learned songs from tabs and played along with CDs. I never owned a metronome and never did any kind of exercises. Just learning songs was enough to carry me pretty far, but it did hold me back in key areas.

I did have a year or two of lessons at the local music store, which were helpful in establishing basic picking & chording at least.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Yeah, string skipping is one of those things that seems pretty basic, but it's something amazing players can struggle with at high speeds, at some point. Picking technique becomes a lot more important in those instances.

Oh god, yes. It's something I didn't start trying to perfect till just a few years ago

I'm in the exact same boat. I started playing around 1992, and learned quickly, but was never good at lead stuff. I could play pretty much any Metallica or Megadeth rhythm riff, but anything approaching a solo just made my fingers turn to mush. I just assumed I wasn't a lead player and went on with my life. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I picked up the guitar again after a long absence and actually started practicing, and my lead ability developed way beyond what I thought I could do. I'm still what I would consider "barely adequate", but the right practice can work wonders.

Watching that video and I'm reminded that TBH, one of the biggest challenges I face with RS in particular is that it's difficult to look from the note highway to the fretboard and back, especially when I have to do some kind of big shift from the bottom to the top of the neck or something like that.

That's something I've noticed I've improved greatly on by using Rocksmith. Not only just looking at the screen and moving my hands where they need to be, but also stuff like glancing down and picking out the 16th fret without really processing it.

I've always been a big proponent of large, high contrast indicators on the side of the neck for fret positions/numbers so even if you're just using your peripheral vision you can keep track of your hand position without a lot of processing power.

Learning fretboard geography is a very underrated skill to cultivate.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL94hsjq8q4

Trivium

“Dying In Your Arms” – Drop D – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation” – Drop D – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    “Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr” – Drop D – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Not my particular cup of tea, but it's their second pack so I assume plenty of folks will be happy to see it.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, not really my thing, but cool for those who like them. Interestingly, the lyrics seem to be uncensored, at least for the moment.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I'll probably grab Dying In Your Arms and Pull Harder, not a fan of Gunshot.

I do like Heafy's riff writing a lot, some fun picking patterns and a big, ballsy sound that fills a room.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    The DLC for June 18th, 2019 is Rockin' Covers Song Pack II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQCnHx5a4X4

“Over The Hills And Far Away” by Nightwish – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Louie Louie” by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Take On Me” by Reel Big Fish – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Back from vacation. Thanks to everyone keeping the thread up to date.

Huh, this is an interesting one. I'd probably pay to hear Tarja Turunen sing the dictionary, even if her band is a bit dull. Plus Joan Jett is plain awesome. A ska version of Take On Me seems alright, but somehow makes me want to defend a-ha's artistic vision.

I might put this one on my "wait for a sale" list.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    an_alt wrote: »
    The DLC for June 18th, 2019 is Rockin' Covers Song Pack II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQCnHx5a4X4

“Over The Hills And Far Away” by Nightwish – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Louie Louie” by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Take On Me” by Reel Big Fish – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Back from vacation. Thanks to everyone keeping the thread up to date.

Huh, this is an interesting one. I'd probably pay to hear Tarja Turunen sing the dictionary, even if her band is a bit dull. Plus Joan Jett is plain awesome. A ska version of Take On Me seems alright, but somehow makes me want to defend a-ha's artistic vision.

I might put this one on my "wait for a sale" list.

Much to my surprise, I found myself picking this one up.

• Options
    I just picked up Over the Hills, cause I love the original and love their cover, Emmpu rubs some funk on it when necessary without any over the top metal runs.

And anyone that claims he doesn't do anything or sucks as a guitarist needs to give either the intro solo from Stargazers or the primary solo from Romanticide a try and see what they say afterwards.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    The DLC for June 25th, 2019 is Tegan and Sara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa9dLpFfRRw

“Walking With A Ghost” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Call It Off” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Bass; Capo Required – Rhythm/Alt Rhythm
    “The Con” – E Standard – Bass; Capo Required: E Standard – Lead; Capo Required: EGDGBe - Rhythm
    Tegan and Sara are a Canadian indie pop band formed in 1998 in Calgary, Alberta, composed of identical twin sisters Tegan Rain Quin and Sara Keirsten Quin (born September 19, 1980). Both musicians are songwriters and multi-instrumentalists.

Definite miss for me, but it is a beginner friendly pack.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Looks like it'd be fun; maybe when a sale comes along ...

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Bummer that they didn’t include Black Sheep

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    At least I know who they are now, as my only time I’ve seen the names is on “Everything is Awesome Tegan and Sara mix”

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    The DLC for July 2nd, 2019 is Intermediate Exercises, Volume 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQcMsBHxNqE

Guitar – Intermediate Linear Playing Exercise 1
    Guitar – Intermediate String Switching Exercise 1
    Guitar – Intermediate String Skipping Exercise 1
    Guitar – Intermediate Hammer-On/Pull-Off Exercise 1
    Guitar – Intermediate Pull-Off/Hammer-On Exercise 1
    Bass – Intermediate Linear Playing Exercise 1
    Bass – Intermediate String Switching Exercise 1
    Bass – Intermediate String Skipping Exercise 1
    Bass – Intermediate Hammer-On/Pull-Off Exercise 1
    Bass – Intermediate Pull-Off/Hammer-On Exercise 1

This one looks a bit more interesting than the beginner exercises. Think I'll pick this up now and hope to be playing soon again.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Yep, more interesting -- the only one I've tried so far was guitar string skipping, and it messed me up good.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm getting the String Skipping and switching exercises.

I'm okay with where my HO/PO and linear runs are at.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I'm hoping that in the future they add scales and/or longer linear runs with position shifting up & down the neck.

• Options
    The DLC for July 9th, 2019 is The Pretty Reckless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp76lKQpBPU

“Make Me Wanna Die” – Eb Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “My Medicine” – E Standard – Rhythm/Bass; Custom: Open E - Lead
    “Going To Hell” – Eb Drop Db – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    The Pretty Reckless is an American rock band from New York City, formed in 2009. The band consists of Taylor Momsen (lead vocals, rhythm guitar), Ben Phillips (lead guitar, backing vocals), Mark Damon (bass) and Jamie Perkins (drums).

The band released their debut studio album, Light Me Up, in August 2010. The album spawned three moderately successful singles, most notably "Make Me Wanna Die". The band released the Hit Me Like a Man EP in early 2012. In March 2014, the band released their second studio album, Going to Hell, which included the singles "Heaven Knows" and "Messed Up World" which topped the US and UK rock charts. The band's third studio album, Who You Selling For, was released on October 21, 2016 by Razor & Tie. The album spawned the single "Take Me Down", which earned the band their fourth number one on the US rock chart.

Love the singer, but not a huge fan of the tunings. The guitar tabs look interesting.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Never heard of them, but apparently their singer was Cindy Lou Who in the Jim Carrey Grinch movie. I guess she was also in Gossip Girl, but I never watched that.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know I have not listened to the radio since the late 90's still I feel there is a lot of fun songs I feel would be fun to play and learn that are not popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IZKcb3LndA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szvFmW_oxeY

• Options
    Those remind me of one of my favorite groups with sadly only 1 album, Lowood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ypP0NKfES0

I'd love to see them in the game. I'll definitely be checking out more of those 2 bands.

• Options
    Those remind me of one of my favorite groups with sadly only 1 album, Lowood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ypP0NKfES0

I'd love to see them in the game. I'll definitely be checking out more of those 2 bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xykuu_pVZak

• Options
    The DLC for July 16th, 2019 is Indie Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Og3sHjCcUU

“Bittersweet Symphony” by Aranbee Pop Symphony Orchestra – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Renegades” by X Ambassadors – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass

Not so heavy on the rock side of things. Definitely one of the easier packs available.

In an odd bit of trivia, the Rolling Stones gave the songwriting credits for Bittersweet Symphony back to the Verve a few months ago. Wonder if that had anything to do with the track appearing this week.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    The DLC for July 23rd, 2019 is Manic Street Preachers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQsO0Q3pSBg

“If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “A Design For Life” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Motorcycle Emptiness” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    Manic Street Preachers are a Welsh rock band formed in Blackwood in 1986.

Manic Street Preachers' music has been variously described as alternative rock, hard rock, punk rock, glam rock, and pop rock. According to their AllMusic biography, the band were fashioning themselves after the Clash and the Sex Pistols, attempting to restore revolution to rock music "at a time when Britain was dominated by trancey shoegazers and faceless, trippy acid house".

Not a MSP fan, but for anyone looking for some easier tracks, the first two definitely fit the bill. Hope some of you enjoy.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    In an odd bit of trivia, the Rolling Stones gave the songwriting credits for Bittersweet Symphony back to the Verve a few months ago. Wonder if that had anything to do with the track appearing this week.

Appreciate the updates! I picked up Bittersweet today, and never even knew about the whole credits dispute. Pretty interesting
    Producer Youth said: "This was certainly the most successful track I've done. I think Richard had actually cut a version with John Leckie but, by the time I came on board, he didn't want to do the song. I persuaded him to have a go at cutting a version but at first he wasn't really into it. It was only once we'd put strings on it that he started getting excited. Then, towards the end, Richard wanted to chuck all the album away and start again. What was my reaction? Horror. Sheer horror. All I could say was, I really think you should reconsider."

The opening strings are sampled from the 1965 Andrew Oldham Orchestra recording of the Rolling Stones song "The Last Time", arranged and written by David Whitaker. The Verve negotiated rights to use a six-note sample from the recording from the recording's copyright holder Decca Records; however, they did not obtain permission from former Rolling Stones manager Allen Klein, who owned the copyrights to the band’s pre-1970 songs, including "The Last Time". Although "Bitter Sweet Symphony" had already been released, Klein refused to grant a license for the sample. This led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Klein's holding company, which was settled out of court. The Verve relinquished all royalties to Klein, and the songwriting credits were changed to Jagger/Richards, with Ashcroft receiving $1,000 for completely relinquishing rights.

Verve bassist Simon Jones said, "We were told it was going to be a 50/50 split, and then they saw how well the record was doing. They rung up and said we want 100 percent or take it out of the shops, you don't have much choice." Ashcroft sarcastically said, "This is the best song Jagger and Richards have written in 20 years", noting it was their biggest UK hit since "Brown Sugar".
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_Sweet_Symphony

• Options
  • Options
    The DLC for July 30th, 2019 is Advanced Exercises, Vol 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ACjoOQ2wM

Guitar – Advanced Linear Playing Exercise 1
    Guitar – Advanced String Switching Exercise 1
    Guitar – Advanced String Skipping Exercise 1
    Guitar – Advanced Hammer-On/Pull-Off Exercise 1
    Guitar – Advanced Pull-Off/Hammer-On Exercise 1
    Bass – Advanced Linear Playing Exercise 1
    Bass – Advanced String Switching Exercise 1
    Bass – Advanced String Skipping Exercise 1
    Bass – Advanced Hammer-On/Pull-Off Exercise 1
    Bass – Advanced Pull-Off/Hammer-On Exercise 1

Not a ton to explain here, but I'll probably pick this one up for warmups.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    I did pick it up, but haven't had a chance to play it yet -- for some reason, it didn't show up in my downloads until pretty much just as I was shutting down for the night.

• Options
    OK, yep, definitely more advanced, at least the ones I've tried so far.

I kind of wish they'd done something a bit different with the hammer-on/pull-off stuff, instead of just increasing the number you have to perform off of each picked note, but it'll still be useful.

• Options
    I've got a suggestion for them for an Ultimate/Ultra level legato exercise (starting at the 0:40 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2804ggsI0

Anytime I curse my tiny hands, I watch Mike here or Shawn Lane play and kick myself in the ass for having doubt.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    A bit back when I mentioned my teacher telling me "you're doing it ALL wrong", well. For funsies I bought this $9 pick box with EVH colors on it and some of Eddie's EVH picks. Their .60mm and I usually use 1.0mm cuz I'm used to it. The texture on these things are awesome. I normally use the Tortex ones and they are great but these are just awesome. Anyway, he has me doing simple fingering exercises daily. A simple 1,2,3,4 from the 1st fret down to the 4th starting on low E string then jump to A, etc etc. Then shift a fret down and keep going all the way to the 12th. Then I repeat doing the pattern 1,3,2,4. Then I do a 1,2 across the strings but this time at the high e string I shift down 1 fret and go back across then down, etc. Then I repeat that exercise with 2,3 and 3,4. Still with me? Ok. All this bullshit was pointing out how far away my fingers were from the fret board while others were pressing the strings. Teacher told me I'm bad, get them closer, get relaxed fingers, etc.. So I've been practicing slow in speed focusing on trying to keep my fucking pinky from flying away and my index finger from doing the same when play the 3,4 thing. So at practice last week he asks me if I can go faster as I seem to have the speed down and are playing too comfortably. He said get somewhere out of your comfort zone. Low and behold, I freaked myself the fuck out at the speed I had in these finger! He was quite impressed. And, for the most part my fingers stayed close to the strings when they weren't the actual ones pressing notes.

tl;dr - Practice does actually accomplish thing!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    I'll add what my high school choir teacher used to always say, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect". You definitely want to be sure that you're practicing the right things, but yes, consistent practice where you're just barely pushing past what you can comfortably do really makes a difference.

A fun trick to try is if you're kind of struggling with something at a certain bpm, bump it up a bit (like maybe 5 or 8 bpm) for a few minutes. It'll be even harder and you'll probably sound terrible, but when you go back down, you'll most likely find it easier now.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'll add what my high school choir teacher used to always say, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect". You definitely want to be sure that you're practicing the right things, but yes, consistent practice where you're just barely pushing past what you can comfortably do really makes a difference.

A fun trick to try is if you're kind of struggling with something at a certain bpm, bump it up a bit (like maybe 5 or 8 bpm) for a few minutes. It'll be even harder and you'll probably sound terrible, but when you go back down, you'll most likely find it easier now.

What I always found was if I was really having trouble with something just taking a break and doing something completely different like watching an episode of a show/going for a half hour walk/making some dinner/etc. was that when I came back it's like my brain and my fingers had a meeting during that time and suddenly I'm just doing the thing I just spent an hour beating my head against.

• Options
    As expected, advanced string-skipping was (for me, at least) pretty brutal.

Although sometimes when I'd skip to the wrong string (instead of just botching it altogether) I'd end up playing some kind of cool harmonies.

• Options
    The DLC for August 6th, 2019 is Wrestling Theme Song Pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxVz8lh1h_8

“I Won’t Do What You Tell Me (Stone Cold Steve Austin)” by Jim Johnston – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Break The Walls Down (Chris Jericho)” by Jim Johnston – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Electrifying (The Rock)” by Jim Johnston – E Standard – Lead; Drop D – Rhythm/Bass

Maybe wrestling fans will enjoy this, but the tracks didn't look very fun to play to me. Hope some of you enjoy them.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    They should have had the DX theme.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    They should have had the DX theme.

That was my jam as a teen

• Options
    The DLC for August 13th, 2019 is Gary Moore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wg_D3QWYTI

“Still Got The Blues” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “The Loner” – E Standard – Lead; Drop D - Bass
    “Over The Hills And Far Away” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Robert William Gary Moore (4 April 1952 – 6 February 2011) was a Northern Irish guitarist and singer-songwriter. His music was in genres including blues, heavy metal and hard rock. He is often described as a virtuoso on the guitar.

During his teenage years in the 1960s, Moore played in the line up of a number of local Belfast based bands, before a move to Dublin, Ireland, after being asked to join the Irish band Skid Row before the departure of lead singer Phil Lynott. Later on, Moore played in Thin Lizzy and British jazz-rock fusion band Colosseum II, as well as having his own successful solo career. Moore shared the stage with such blues and rock musicians as B.B. King, Albert King, John Mayall, Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, Albert Collins, George Harrison, and Greg Lake.

Gary Moore was pretty awesome. I'm just starting to be able to play a bit again, so I'll wait for a sale on this one. Otherwise, it would probably be a day one purchase.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    I didn't realize that Gary Moore was no longer with us. I never really listened to him back in the day, but I remember his name being mentioned frequently in hushed, reverential tones in the pages of Guitar for the Practicing Musician back in the 1980s.