As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Godzilla, King of the [Movies]

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I used to watch Revenge of the Nerds solely for the decathlon. The Tricycle Race, Lamar's Javalin, and the Talent Show are all classic and hilarious scenes for me.

That being said, yeah the rest of that movie is disgusting.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I used to watch Revenge of the Nerds solely for the decathlon. The Tricycle Race

Takashi's Japanese rendition of Daisy is still what I hear in my head anytime I think of that song.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that in the context of 80s comedy sex capades, Venkmen's behavior in Ghostbusters is relatively benign.

When Dana is clearly not in her right mind, and might even appear intoxicated (I don't think he knows she's possessed at the time), he makes a point of not taking advantage and just trying to get her safe in her home.

(I think I'm remembering it right, it's been a while.)

By '80s movie standards that almost qualifies him for sainthood.

It took until I was in college before I understood why Rick Moranis came out of his apartment when Peter closed the door to Dana's apartment.

I do not remember what is happening in this scene. Care to elaborate?

wbBv3fj.png
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that in the context of 80s comedy sex capades, Venkmen's behavior in Ghostbusters is relatively benign.

When Dana is clearly not in her right mind, and might even appear intoxicated (I don't think he knows she's possessed at the time), he makes a point of not taking advantage and just trying to get her safe in her home.

(I think I'm remembering it right, it's been a while.)

By '80s movie standards that almost qualifies him for sainthood.

It took until I was in college before I understood why Rick Moranis came out of his apartment when Peter closed the door to Dana's apartment.

I do not remember what is happening in this scene. Care to elaborate?

IIRC he was inside his apartment waiting for her to come out to "accidentally" run into her.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. He was trying to hit it off with Dana. You have the same thing going on with the art guy in the second one.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    We're watching The Nun, and it is so bad. Nothing really happens, it's just a series of supposedly scary scenes set around a flimsy story. It's 15 minutes of actual story stretched out.

It's so cheesy. Pentagrams! Upside down crosses! Fog machines!

I'm not a huge Conjuring fan, but at least there is some skill to that movie. This is just so by the numbers, and lacks any flair at all.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Petrine crosses in horror movies are hilarious.

• QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

I was wondering why they had yet to release any footage of the animals actually talking, and now I can see why. That was always going to be the weak point of this movie - CGI can't pull that off the way animation can.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If I wanted to see animals wandering around aimlessly to music I can just put on ska and watch my dogs in the backyard try and find a squirrel.

So lifeless, so dull.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    And its still going to make like a billion dollars.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/e6VNAcd1Dgs

Fucking love this movie

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. I need to collect Mouth of Madness.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Rip Torn died. Given his propensity for getting into fights and drinking it's a miracle the stubborn old bastard got to 88, but well done anyway, Rip. More than once while watching him in Dodgeball I was unable to breathe from laughing so hard.
    Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.

Huh. I don't keep track of it, but I had assumed he'd already died, which was why he didn't appear in MiB3.

He got drunk and tried to rob a bank, couldn't appear because he was in jail. No joke.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Re-watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Definitely stand by my original assessment that it's the second-best movie of the Jurassic series. Or at the very least the least-worst of all the sequels.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

The CGI artist deserve much praise for making such realistic looking CGI animals. Too bad it's not what this story needs.

Nobeard on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

The CGI artist deserve much praise for making such realistic looking CGI animals. Too bad it's not what this story needs.

I haven't watched any of these "live-action" remakes, but this is the first clip I've seen from one where I just went "why???"

Why spend all this time and effort to make a CGI cartoon about talking animals that tries its best to pretend it isn't that?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I was wondering why they had yet to release any footage of the animals actually talking, and now I can see why. That was always going to be the weak point of this movie - CGI can't pull that off the way animation can.

CGI absolutely can. You probably couldn't push it that photorealistic without needing $Jupiter levels of rendering time but it can be done.

But they want "live action" "realistic" so they use this weird style which sucks out all the emotion.

And isn't even realistic because real animals show more body language!

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Rip Torn died. Given his propensity for getting into fights and drinking it's a miracle the stubborn old bastard got to 88, but well done anyway, Rip. More than once while watching him in Dodgeball I was unable to breathe from laughing so hard.
    Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste.

Huh. I don't keep track of it, but I had assumed he'd already died, which was why he didn't appear in MiB3.

He got drunk and tried to rob a bank, couldn't appear because he was in jail. No joke.

Woah woah woah, that's slander! He got drunk and confused a bank for his home. Huuuuuge difference.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I wonder if one day I’ll get drunk enough that I think a bank is my house.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Keanu Reeves talking about Sandra Bullock during an interview for Speed in 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV1DeFR2yf4

They've both recently admitted to having crushes on each other at the time, but not knowing the other did.

I'm not sure how though, since you can see those crushes from space in that video.

nibXTE7.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    D'aww

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I'm watching Minority Report again because I guess I hate myself.

And the most infuriating thing is why does Cruise's character still have authorization to get in any god damn door he wants even after he has been labeled a fugitive and a murderer?

Eff this movie.

Oh hey and here is a other one. The crux of the movie is about getting one murder to look like the echo of a previous one. But the murders all produce nice etched wooden spheres with the names on them. Soooo *shrug*

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Oh hey and here is a other one. The crux of the movie is about getting one murder to look like the echo of a previous one. But the murders all produce nice etched wooden spheres with the names on them. Soooo *shrug*
    Only of they accept the report.

Re: the prior one

Ehhh. Institutional incompetence is the most realistic part of that movie

wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Only of they accept the report.

Re: the prior one

Ehhh. Institutional incompetence is the most realistic part of that movie

Except during the climax of the movie when the red ball comes in the tech doesn't do anything. Agatha has the vision and the victim ball immediately comes out. So the fake echo would have a victim ball with a different name and then what seems to be a random amount of time later a perpetrator ball.

And real echoes wouldn't make balls because they aren't seeing a murder.

It is a bad movie and I just wanted to complain about it.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    And real echoes wouldn't make balls because they aren't seeing a murder.

It is a bad movie and I just wanted to complain about it.

The very essence of this thread.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Minor plot holes do not negate the fact that Minority Report is a damn masterpiece

It’s thrilling, it’s accurate near-futurism in a lot of ways, it’s a visionary sci-fi film and a pretty good mystery wrapped in gorgeous cinematography and a soupcon of black comedy, it has a genuinely compelling moral and ethical problem and it has great performances from top to bottom

Get out of here with this Cinema Sins bullshit

Go tell me The Big Sleep makes sense

Movies are not logical equations

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The Big Sleep makes perfect sense

So what if it never flat out says who the murderer is

That’s merely irrelevant data

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Minority Report
    When are the plot holes? Because everything after Tom Cruise gets put in deep freeze is just the dream he's having in deep freeze. Of course there might be some logical inconsistencies in a dream.

Minority Report does thatweird thing where basically everything is futuristic in the near future with no old stuff still being used.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Minority Report does thatweird thing where basically everything is futuristic in the near future with no old stuff still being used.

Now I want a movie where everything is being done on super high tech stuff, but one specific thing still needs to be done with an old VCR. And someone has to blow into the tape to make it work .

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Now I want a movie where everything is being done on super high tech stuff, but one specific thing still needs to be done with an old VCR. And someone has to blow into the tape to make it work .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdPpRnzO9Aw

edited July 2019
    A road filled with futuristic cars and one 2000 Ford F-150.

Couscous on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I thought Minority Report was okay.

Fencingsax on
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

There’s a graphic novel called “The Private Eye”, which takes place in the future but features a scene in which an elderly Millennial has to dig through his junk drawer to find a specific charge cord so they can download crucial data off a Zune.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Tenzytile wrote: »
    Criterion spine #401: Night on Earth

Somehow the only Jarmusch feature prior to The Dead Don't Die that I've never got around to. This one's vignette driven, not unlike Coffee and Cigarettes: 5 different taxis in 5 different cities (L.A., New York, Paris, Rome, Helsinki) that serve as a means for different types of people to interact with one another across classes and races and dispositions. It's really difficult to see a film as vignette driven as this and avoid comparing the sequences to one another, which always feels weirdly unfair to me. In a more standard three-act story we really don't think of it in parts as they're causally linked with a protagonist and all that. I guess I'll say that, for the disparate locations and dramatic intentions of each segment, Jarmusch does a good job staying stylistically consistent. Though each camera setup for each taxi is marginally different, there's a similar quality of light and actor-first direction; and the framing devices, from the kitsch clocks and globes to the location shots of each city before the players are introduced are effective.

But just gut-level reaction here: only two of the segments are worth seeing. Winona Ryder bungles her role as a street-smart greasemonkey type in the L.A. section, the Paris part starts interesting but becomes languid and pensive as it moves on, and then Rome is the Roberto Begnini show. I guess mileage varies on the last one but even if you love the guy, it's the least interesting driver-customer relationship of the bunch. New York and Helsinki (both the coldest locations) have more interesting dialogue, a more interesting relationship between the characters and their surroundings, and are situated at either end of comedy (NY) and drama (Helsinki) comfortably. 2/5 isn't great, so I'll just say I didn't like it overall.

It's a cozy film, but personally, after Ghost Dog(Criterion when), my favorites are Stranger Than Paradise, Mystery Train, and Paterson.

They tried live action lions briefly, but after the third director got eaten alive, they decided to go the CG route.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Now that's a making of feature.

• TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Turns out real lions rip off your face and scalp if you want to make a movie about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cny_D50Rr44

Might be good for Disney. Edit: 2 Disney references in that re-release trailer. It's a sign.

Tenzytile on
This discussion has been closed.