As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Ouroboros

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Ouroboros

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• UshioUshio Registered User regular
    Don't worry about it according to the UN the human race will be extinct within 30 years.

• there'saforum?there'saforum? Registered User regular
    9cpLdXu.jpg

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Trying to get real lions to do all the acting they need for this movie would be time and labor intensive.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Trying to get real lions to do all the acting they need for this movie would be time and labor intensive.

It might also involve necromancy.

• FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    Why the fuck does Hollywood feel some sort of compulsive NEED to make everything "realistic?!" That was the main flaw in Sonic's movie design, and it seems that the people who make movies don't understand WHY we go to the movies; TO ESCAPE REALITY FOR AT LEAST TWO FUCKING HOURS!

• Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I admit a Sonic movie which features just a spraypainted regular hedgehog would have a special charme.
    And Eggman would look more insane than usual.

Johnny17 on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I recently watched a clip of the attack of the terror birds from 10,000 BC, and while it’s not a great movie, I appreciated the effort that went into bringing to life on the screen what are basically razor-beaked dinosaurs that stalked this planet up until disquietingly recently. And it struck me. This was a good use of CGI. Telling a new (if absurd) story, and showing us creatures we haven’t seen, and can’t just go to the zoo and see any time we’re prepared to put up with the traffic.

And now, here we are, a decade later. And the alchemistry of talented VFX artists is being harnessed to bring us pointlessly realistic lions, a dull and lifeless genie who somehow can’t sing his way out of a paper lamp despite the casting of a chart-topping music star, and an endless parade of exterior shots of the Millennium Falcon being chased by TIE Fighters with a new, more sinister paint job. Let’s hear it for innovation.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    I recently watched a clip of the attack of the terror birds from 10,000 BC, and while it’s not a great movie, I appreciated the effort that went into bringing to life on the screen what are basically razor-beaked dinosaurs that stalked this planet up until disquietingly recently. And it struck me. This was a good use of CGI. Telling a new (if absurd) story, and showing us creatures we haven’t seen, and can’t just go to the zoo and see any time we’re prepared to put up with the traffic.

And now, here we are, a decade later. And the alchemistry of talented VFX artists is being harnessed to bring us pointlessly realistic lions, a dull and lifeless genie who somehow can’t sing his way out of a paper lamp despite the casting of a chart-topping music star, and an endless parade of exterior shots of the Millennium Falcon being chased by TIE Fighters with a new, more sinister paint job. Let’s hear it for innovation.

Right there with you. Walking with Dinosaurs was great (and had a decent amount of practical stuff, though not nearly as effectively as Jurassic Park). And there were several other "Walking with" type shows that had all kind of cool extinct creatures. Ambulocetus. Gastornis (likely the terror bird show you saw). Hyaenodon. Entelodon ("hogs from hell").

Granted, those shows were rife with speculation and errors. But it really felt we were heading on a path where being able to put yourself in those ancient settings and see the amazing creatures come alive around you. Why isn't THIS a thing I can do in VR? I want to chill with a Megatherium, dammit.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    If there's one thing the widespread use of CGI seems to have killed, it's a sense of restraint. When Jurassic Park was made, if they couldn't make a shot look perfectly believable in CGI, they simply didn't do it. That's why Jurassic Park still holds up visually; for whatever they couldn't use CGI for, they used puppets, and if neither could do the job, they made the scene differently. Ultimately no one needs to make a photorealistic Lion King. Disney isn't going to go belly up if they fail to produce a lifeless looking musical with digital animals.

BloodySloth on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I just don't understand why mother-fucking Disney of all companies has such a boner to try and erase western animation from existence?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I just don't understand why mother-fucking Disney of all companies has such a boner to try and erase western animation from existence?

If it will make them billions, that's why.

And if re-introducing it will make them billions more, that's fine with them.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    No no, they’re only erasing it for 5-10 years so they can release the old movies “from the vault” in order to pressure people to buy buy buy! Artificial scarcity is so much better than erasing!

YL9WnCY.png
    maybe in 30 years they'll start re-remaking all these movies in tradition cel animation.

• InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Copyright renewal. That's all these remakes really are.

Invertin on
    Disney's already ensured that their copyrights will last 100+ years already, though, haven't they? I don't think they actually need to periodically make new movies in order for that to happen.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, making a new Lion King has no effect on their copyrights.

Tube on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The best explanation I've heard is that this is basically a tools development project/ tech demo that they're hoping will pay for itself.

steam_sig.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I mean, these movies make bank

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Regarding copyright law, I heard somewhere that Disney is gearing up to go to battle again. Mickey Mouse is getting very close to entering public domain, and one opinion piece I read claims that all these recent remakes are an effort by the company to show that copyrighted material that is held by a corporation and not an individual can live on indefinitely.

This is all for the sake of Mickey Mouse. (According to whatever article or whatever it was that I read a while ago).

Lucascraft on
    edited July 2019
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Regarding copyright law, I heard somewhere that Disney is gearing up to go to battle again. Mickey Mouse is getting very close to entering public domain, and one opinion piece I read claims that all these recent remakes are an effort by the company to show that copyrighted material that is held by a corporation and not an individual can live on indefinitely.

This is all for the sake of Mickey Mouse. (According to whatever article or whatever it was that I read a while ago).

You need to read more. Or less.

"Mickey Mouse" isn't protected by copyright. He's protected by trademark. Trademarks don't expire.

"Public domain" doesn't mean every work with a character enters public domain. It means that specific work does. It means you can download the film legally. It means anyone can legally sell a copy of it.

dennis on
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Why the fuck does Hollywood feel some sort of compulsive NEED to make everything "realistic?!" That was the main flaw in Sonic's movie design, and it seems that the people who make movies don't understand WHY we go to the movies; TO ESCAPE REALITY FOR AT LEAST TWO FUCKING HOURS!

It's worse than that. The minds behind all these endless sequels and remakes seem incapable of understanding there is more to stories than the literal plot devices involved. Great works have themes.

I can't remember where I heard it, what the source was, or anything. But I recall a Solomon "split the baby"-eqsue parable about two authors who go before a judge both claiming a work belongs to them. To figure out who the true author is, the judge orders them both to write a sequel, the reasoning being, only the true author will be able to continue the work.

I think of that parable every fucking time I see another sequel or remake. Aside from Ash VS The Evil Dead, which is way better than it has any right to be, largely thanks to so many of the same people being involved, and not having been replaced with pod people creative hacks over the years.

The fact of the matter is, most great stories have central themes. And those themes get teased at, poked, prodded, tested, weakened, reinforced. Ultimately, much of the story revolves around these themes just as much as they revolve around the characters or the literal mechanics of the plot.

Take for example Lord of the Rings. Very strong themes of a world in decline. Magic is leaving it, the elves are all leaving, most of the noble bloodlines of kings are vanishing. And probably the biggest theme of absolute power corrupting absolutely. And then you have the literal themes of the war against Sauron.

Imagine if some fucking hack at Amazon for their new series decided to have the elves return to middle earth, and they all help to reforge the One Ring, to defeat some new big bad. Sure, maybe they have contrive some plot devices to have it make sense at a bare bones mechanical level. But on a thematic level? That'd be some hot bullshit, and undermine the message of the rest of the story.

Namrok wrote: »

It's worse than that. The minds behind all these endless sequels and remakes seem incapable of understanding there is more to stories than the literal plot devices involved. Great works have themes.

While not disagreeing with your point, I have to point out that it's just irrelevant to "why the fuck does Hollywood...?" The answer is money. The answer is always money, when it comes to a large corporation (and plenty of smaller ones and individual people). That Aladdin remake has made almost a billion dollars worldwide (gross). The "live action" Jungle Book? Also a billion dollars. Beauty and the Beast? $1.2 billion. Hell, even Alice in Wonderland made over a billion.

Thought Coco was a much better movie than any of this drek? Well, it barely broke $800 million worldwide. Moana didn't even manage to hit $650 million.

So they're just going to keep making as many of these suckers as they think they'll be able to sell. That's their goal. And like we've mentioned before, when people get tired of that they'll swing back to their animation printing press.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The blame also cannot be placed entirely on Disney or other big corporations.

They make what brings in money. If remakes weren't making them money, they wouldn't be doing it.

The consumer public is as much to blame for this as Disney is, because the consumer public is empowering them with fat stacks of cash.

• LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Another financial word involved is risk. People are more likely to invest in making a big budget movie if you can predict in advance how much money it will make. Original movies are less predictable

The consumer public is as much to blame for this as Disney is, because the consumer public is empowering them with fat stacks of cash.

Nobody is saying it's not successful. That doesn't mean it's not lazy, exploitative or artistically barren which it is.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Invertin wrote: »

Nobody is saying it's not successful. That doesn't mean it's not lazy, exploitative or artistically barren which it is.

I know it's the thing to point this criticism at Disney but

All the major studios are lazy, exploitative, and artistically barren. Disney does not have a monopoly on this.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Invertin wrote: »

I know it's the thing to point this criticism at Disney but

All the major studios are lazy, exploitative, and artistically barren. Disney does not have a monopoly on this.

Well, not yet. There are a few studios left for them to buy before they get to that point. :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”

...Yeah. I didn't say they did. I didn't say we couldn't criticize people for being lazy, exploitative and artistically barren, either. I am criticizing people for being those things right now.

• zagatdinner11zagatdinner11 Registered User new member
    hey gabe, put down the flaming hot twinky and let me upload an Avatar. >:3

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    hey gabe, put down the flaming hot twinky and let me upload an Avatar. >:3
    Might be that you need to make some number of posts before it lets you do that.

• Adam DuckieAdam Duckie Registered User regular
    I haven't had a nice, warm bubble bath in quite a while...