As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is this aloud at Pax 2019

DragonuDragonu Registered User new member
Hey guys, doing a cosplay for Pax 2019 at Melbourne cosplaying, just wondering if anyone knows whether using a Wooden Bokken is ok for a cosplay katana,
fvbq1kqdtrim.png

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Start out here:
    https://aus.paxsite.com/faq/answer/id-like-to-show-off-my-sweet-cosplay-but-are-there-any-rules-regarding-my-p
    I’d like to show off my sweet cosplay, but are there any rules regarding my prop weapon?
    Afraid so! You can get a good sense of our criteria on our safety and accessibility page, and your first stop should be at Info Desk for weapons check tagging for us to verify everything is legit and abiding by our criteria for safety. If we have to hold your prop weapon for the show, we’re sorry, we wish things were different, and we’ll make sure you get it back when it’s time to leave. We’re charged with keeping tens of thousands of people we like an awful lot all safe and sound, and we’ve got to play things pretty conservatively when dealing with weapons (even in prop form).

Then follow up here:
    https://aus.paxsite.com/safety-accessibility#weapons-check-policies

Long story short, it will be inspected by enforcers and, if it passes, peace bonded.
    But functional weapons are not allowed. It's a judgement call on the part of the inspector though as to whether yours is a functional weapon or not.

see317 on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Generally speaking, you don't want to have to carry a wooden sword all con anyhow. Its a pain.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Generally speaking, you don't want to have to carry a wooden sword all con anyhow. Its a pain.

Yeah, I imagine anybody standing near you in a line would also appreciate you not carrying a sword sized stick around.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »

Yeah, I imagine anybody standing near you in a line would also appreciate you not carrying a sword sized stick around.

Have been hit in the head at a con by (thankfully) a foam-covered PVC prop sword slung over someone's shoulder, can confirm.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It's great to have a nice prop photos, but generally speaking get a foam version to actually carry. There's the above situation and also the fact that you'll be wearing it for hours. It can get caught on things, and a scabbard is a failure point in any costume, with a problem leaving you stuck carrying it in your hand all day. Also, it might start out light, but things have a way of feeling a lot heavier at the end of a day the fifteenth time they get caught on a table leg than they did when you started out.

Source: I carried around an actual steel Anduril (sword and scabbard combined at ~16 pounds) two years ago for Halloween when I took my son out dressed as Aragorn and Frodo and regretted it in many ways. But not the way my wife said I would, so she didn't get to say she told me so.

Hevach on
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    It's great to have a nice prop photos, but generally speaking get a foam version to actually carry. There's the above situation and also the fact that you'll be wearing it for hours. It can get caught on things, and a scabbard is a failure point in any costume, with a problem leaving you stuck carrying it in your hand all day. Also, it might start out light, but things have a way of feeling a lot heavier at the end of a day the fifteenth time they get caught on a table leg than they did when you started out.

Source: I carried around an actual steel Anduril (sword and scabbard combined at ~16 pounds) two years ago for Halloween when I took my son out dressed as Aragorn and Frodo and regretted it in many ways. But not the way my wife said I would, so she didn't get to say she told me so.
    I didn’t even like carrying a backpack with a laptop for more than a few hours. It’s a lot of walking and every pound of weight is a pound of water you aren’t carrying.

• Captain Ironsides Captain Ironsides Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    But not the way my wife said I would, so she didn't get to say she told me so.

That's all that really matters in the end.

zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I don't think swords are very loud.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

But what about a swordtar?

n6oh4lh2mw2d.png

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Bokken aren’t really swords. And they are loud.