As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Note you can use the other 2 characters to face people away from the mark as well. Just port away with everyone in reverse order once you let the vendor out of dialogue (thief first, distractions, person talking to the target quickly)/be ready to kill everyone/flee. They all have brain damage so will forget who was there when they got robbed, but are nosy bastards that will rifle through your stuff the first few minutes or so. Some of them even go off from other peoples stolen goods, like they're cops. Best to just run away for a few minutes.

Xeddicus on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Wait, can I control other party members while one is in dialogue?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah you just need to tab switch to them or whatever. Basically the stealing procedure is
    1. Split party
    2. Have one member talk to target (Ensure this person has no stolen goods)
    3. Have one member steal from target whatever you want
    4. Have all but party member in dialog run away
    5. End conversation
    6. Wait for target to conduct stolen goods check.
    7. Regroup party.

I tried using smokescreen to steal from the guys in the city but I could never make it work.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Wait, can I control other party members while one is in dialogue?

yeah it's the basis of all thieving

have one party member talk to the mark
    have the other member sneak around their back to pickpocket, then sneak away
    when the NPC realizes they've been had, have your first party member deny everything

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Yes, and if you use stolen skill books before ending the dialog the merchant you stole from will search you and then apologize for the inconvenience when they can't find them.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Note that you can't have any stolen goods on the person who gets searched, even if they weren't stolen from them. You do have time to just have everyone run away before they notice stuff is missing though.

Also, there are secret/cross class skills you can't buy. They can be made by crafting two different schools of skill books together. E.g Rain + Necro book = Blood Rain skill

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Unfortunately theft is both overpowered and necessary in this game.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    I wouldn't say necessary, but it sure helps.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    See, I've never picked a pocket, I'm about halfway done with Act 2, all my gear is up to my current level, I've bought all the skill books I need, and I'm still sitting on 35k in gold and another 10k in wares.

I do, however search every container, loot every corpse, and pick up every piece of loose brik-a-brak that isn't nailed down and worth at least a gold.

Like do you have any idea how much cash a stack of blank paper can net you? Or empty potion bottles? Or paintings, definitely snag every painting, no matter how much it weighs. My str melee character is like a walking art gallery.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Note that you can't have any stolen goods on the person who gets searched, even if they weren't stolen from them. You do have time to just have everyone run away before they notice stuff is missing though.

Some people care some don't, easiest that you don't. There's an A2 quest you can complete and if you fail the persuasion check you get a stolen item in your inventory and for the rest of the run or the act, I forget, guards will always search the character. Guards are mostly the ones that care about any stolen items.

butts
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    All right so I’m still on the island with fort joy but I got out of the castle itself and things have started to pick up.

This game gives me Skyrim vibes in that I like to just wander and explore until I come across a weird cave or something. Which is exactly what happened when I got lost after running a ridiculous fight with giant lizards. (This game is hard). Cue 90 minutes of me fighting my way through a bunch of traps and illusions and pretty tough customers to find a whole mess of sweet loot.

My party was pretty fucked up but we walked out of there with bags full of gold and sweet gear. And then I was able to buy a whole bunch of skill books for my necromancer who should be able to do a lot more interesting shit in combat.

When I respec, does that cause me to unlearn skills I have already collected? If a skill drops down to 0, do all the associated abilities disappear or are they just unusable?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Yeah the beginning of the game can be real tough. I think I had to restart and change the way I leveled early to get through fort joy

You don't lose learned skills, you just cannot equip anything that you don't meet the requirement. The same goes for gear that increases the respective skill stat - going from three Necro to two means you can't use any skills you learned that took three until you get back up to three.

butts
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    All right so I’m still on the island with fort joy but I got out of the castle itself and things have started to pick up.

This game gives me Skyrim vibes in that I like to just wander and explore until I come across a weird cave or something. Which is exactly what happened when I got lost after running a ridiculous fight with giant lizards. (This game is hard). Queue 90 minutes of me fighting my way through a bunch of traps and illusions and pretty tough customers to find a whole mess of sweet loot.

My party was pretty fucked up but we walked out of there with bags full of gold and sweet gear. And then I was able to buy a whole bunch of skill books for my necromancer who should be able to do a lot more interesting shit in combat.

When I respec, does that cause me to unlearn skills I have already collected? If a skill drops down to 0, do all the associated abilities disappear or are they just unusable?

Just unusable.

For me the fights in Fort Joy got a lot easier once I had a few levels (the lizards wrecked me at first), then mostly wasn't a problem barring a few outliers. May depend on your party makeup too, I guess.

This game, like the predecessor, is hard early and then the difficulty falls off pretty sharply once you get access to skills. I thought my friend was kidding when he said the very first fight in D:OS1 was the hardest fight in the game but it was definitely up there. He knew how to min/max the hell out of that game.

If you don't know what you're doing I think it remains difficult throughout the entire game mostly but I remember the beginning being a downward slope on my first playthrough. Eventually you hit a point where brute forcing everything wins without any added strategy - and in the case of thought out builds Poly 5 leads to busted shit post sixteen.

butts
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I don’t know about that the beginning of arx is pretty annoying especially the fight to enter the city proper , vampiric voidwoken are always annoying. At least on a magical build.

edited July 2019
    The fights I’ve had trouble with were against Flenser, Radeka, and one of the Trompdoy fights. I also skipped a fight with 5-6 undead and a giant voidwoken. Most of the magisters have been pushovers.

I know my builds are pretty messed up though. When I can respec I’m going to change a lot. Everyone’s getting at least one source of physical and one source of magical damage. And I think some of my gear is just not where it should be. Even though I’ve been able acquire a bunch of pretty sweet stuff. An identifying glass hasn’t dropped for me yet.

I also definitely don’t have enough cc, which is just a function of being unable to access more skills. CC seems almost better than pure damage.

GoodKingJayIII on
    You may want to get a mod for an infinite ID glass and lockpick too.

i really enjoyed having maxed out "lucky charm"

by the time you get it up to 4 or 5, you're finding better gear than most vendors sell, and since you have about a 5% chance per container opened, you can get 3-4 bonus legendary items just by exploring some indoor areas and houses

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Yesterday I learned that you can launder stolen goods by selling them to a merchant and buying them back. Removes the stolen tag. Feels like cheating but I'm gonna do it anyways.

Kane Red Robe on
    Given the exchange rate and lack of real consequences for stealing that's just mainly a decent way to blow gold. Gold is plentiful eventually, just seems like too much effort for no real payoff.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    Given the exchange rate and lack of real consequences for stealing that's just mainly a decent way to blow gold. Gold is plentiful eventually, just seems like too much effort for no real payoff.

yeah but once you launder it

it's untraceable

the guards can't touch you, nor can the feds

and then you invest it in SourceCoin, and become rich as a Void King

Wow ok that Mordus fight was a fucking slog. It seemed like an awful lot of things had to go right for me to finally kill him without his minions spraying me with acid and constantly killing me.

edited July 2019
    If you haven't already, it helps *so much* to get everyone to at least Aerothurge 2 so that the entire party has access to teleport. Having that and some sort of instant movement spell (phoenix dive, tactical retreat) unlocks a lot of strategies that become critical as the game introduces more environmental hazards.

Brolo on
    Yeah movement skills are clear winners in this game. And I have been trying to do somewhat “purer” builds but I should really be dipping into a few different trees.

Also some of my merchants seem bugged. The guy who sells scoundrel gear will not give me a dialog option to buy from him, no matter what I do. So my rogue character is stuck with the same skills he had when he joined the party.

This has happened to me with at least one other merchant as well. It’s not a fun bug.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I think you need to get on his good side first.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    How do I do that if his only dialogue finishes with "end".

I hit that problem too if you're talking about the asshole dwarf guarding the stairs down. I ended up killing him.

I spawned in the books he was supposed to have and I wanted with a mod and left the gold on his corpse.

Otherwise if you can't get him to sell to you you'll have to wait until the next vendor which is probably in next act (or not)...

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    How do I do that if his only dialogue finishes with "end".

I think it’s a quest that comes from one of the lackies. Or maybe I’m thinking too early in the game.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Maybe. I've been reading other people having the same issue.

Man, I really like this game but a lot of the bugs are just getting to me. The Torturer talent is not working either. And there's probably other stuff I haven't encountered yet. Nothing's breaking the game, but being unable to teach characters skills and finding interesting combat talents don't actually work puts a huge damper on things. Thank goodness I didn't want to main a rogue, I guess.

Are you clicking the NPC's inventory option?

butts
    Jookie wrote: »
    Are you clicking the NPC's inventory option?

Well boy now I feel silly, because this was not a thing I knew existed.

yeah they should make that more obvious

but pretty much everyone can be traded with on some level

just most NPCs have like... an apple and a fish and 40 gold

The Torturer talent is not working either.
    I can't say for sure since I haven't tried it but Torturer only applies to damage statuses.

butts
    Jookie wrote: »
    The Torturer talent is not working either.
    I can't say for sure since I haven't tried it but Torturer only applies to damage statuses.

Right, I have a character that's very focused on fire damage so I wanted to be able to apply burning on my attacks, regardless of magic armor. Spontaneous combustion does a ton of damage when things have the burning status, which I just realized you probably already know. Torturer should apply to burning, based on the tooltip, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've looked at that one pretty closely but I'll take a look at it again.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    That's odd. I have Beast as a pyromancer in my current playthrough on the PS4 definitive edition and torturer is definitely working to do exactly what your plan is above. (Ignition to set everyone on fire, then Combustion to really ruin someone's day)

Kane Red Robe on
    Aaaand another bug. This time Gareth will not go to the Lady Vengeance. He is just running around a field near Driftwood, mumbling to himself. I can’t interact with him I’m any way except kill him, and Malady won’t leave A2 until he’s on ship so... this fucking sucks.

What version of the game are you running, Jay? Maybe verify files or something...

It’s the Definitive Edition.