As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Kavinsky really would be the perfect sound for exploring this world.

Also, I hope there's some cool big mini-game to take part in throughout the main game.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Card battle game, you know it's true.

I actually would not be shocked if they tried to adapt Netrunner to a digital format and have that be Cyberpunk's Gwent

There will be some game in it, there just has to be. Let's just hop it's more Gwent than Dice-Poker (though dice-poker in the first one was actually not bad).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I think if they adapted Netrunner for this game after Netrunner died in mysterious, possibly rights involved circumstances, people might scream forever at how not punk that is.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Both me and my bike will have a bitchin mohawk in this game.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Oh Good, a new place to slam my Kavinsky.

:winky:

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I never played dice poker, but I got sick of Gwent after about five seconds so not having the equivalent here is no loss to me.

An adaptation of Netrunner would be pretty amazing, but I feel like that would be too complicated to include in the game. I'm sure they could do it, but making it good and worthwhile would take up resources I'd rather they put elsewhere. But maybe if they use it as the way hacking is done? If they could make something fun enough that you want to play it even outside mission-related hacking, instead of the usual onerous hacking minigames, that would be pretty great.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Thinking about it, I'm not sure exactly what I want out of hacking. Certainly not a samey clone of Mastermind or Pipe Dream, but I think "hold F for 5 seconds" is a little dull. Maybe easy hacks are button presses or holds and big stuff like cracking a security door or breaking some terminal's ice can be mini games (with lots of variety) or AR dives into the net. Just hoping it's interesting and engaging because I'm planning to go heavy into netrunning.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    There's a few new tidbits about how your weapon proficiency state affects your reload animations, but not much else.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Thinking about it, I'm not sure exactly what I want out of hacking. Certainly not a samey clone of Mastermind or Pipe Dream, but I think "hold F for 5 seconds" is a little dull. Maybe easy hacks are button presses or holds and big stuff like cracking a security door or breaking some terminal's ice can be mini games (with lots of variety) or AR dives into the net. Just hoping it's interesting and engaging because I'm planning to go heavy into netrunning.

For as much as the Shadowrun Returns hacking isn't the best part of those games, at least they make a really serious effort at trying something other than a totally humdrum and boring 90s-grade minigame or QTE to show "hacking". Time doesn't actually stop while you hack in SR, it just simulates the accelerated actions by giving you several hacking turns per "realtime" turn.

I think there should be kind two ways the hacking is done: building a hack and deploying a saved hack. If you've got an effective prebuilt hack loaded up in your system, that lets you do things like shut down somebody's aiming almost instantly (which is normally only ever something that happens in a cutscene); you pre-build the hack for their model of aim system, put it in a list, then can flip on "hacking" time which lets you run through your list and execute the hack in what would be less than a second of actual time. Not only would it make for a neat combat move, it would also give the player a reason to know things about their major opponents. If you know what type of smartlink system a boss uses with their gun, you can use a premade hack for that and give yourself a major edge when you go against them.

The other mode would be to actually build the hacks you want to use in a mode resembling Uplink. This is the sort of hacking you would do on non-standard systems (like stuff patched together by a gang) or for things you haven't encountered yet; you can't do it in mid-combat because it takes time to put everything in place, but you can hack things you don't have scripts for. Building the hack means having the right tools, but with varying levels of success. Maybe you can only control 3 of 4 major systems on an enemy network, so something like shutting down their cameras is only 75% effective. Maybe you have the tools to hack every system but they're too weak for max control, so the cameras have cycles of turning on and off. Regardless, this is the hacking that would have you huddling in a corner or under a desk on a rooftop, taking your time without anybody shooting at you.

An approach like that would then have a "fast" option that works for combat without grinding it to a halt with timestop hacking, while still need player creativity and attention for the "slow" version. And as the player goes through the game, their library of effective hacks increases to give them an effective power boost that doesn't rely on stats, but rather on character development.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The problem with hacking is that the two runs from Neuromancer, which tends to be my go to on this, aren't particularly minigamable. The Sense/Net run was a week or two of planning, with the cyberattack itself just being Case triggering certain programs at certain times. The Tessier-Ashpool run was a straight up flight sim. I have no idea how you could get anything like that into a coherent minigame. I'm glad I'm not the one trying to design that section of the game. It's a tough nut to crack.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    The hacking in Cyberpunk 2020 (the tabletop game) has a few neat elements, you need to bounce your signal around the globe to slow traces, the actual data fortress has a crossword puzzle like map layout with barriers, code gates and sentries that you can employ various programs to bypass or kill and then access other locations on the map which represent file servers, individual workstaton terminals or various remote controls (elevator control, door control, cameras, whatever).

They could copy that into a little turn based tactical minigame of moving your digital persona around squares and utilizing program abilities loaded in your limit memory space. Or if all of this sounds very familiar to Netrunner players, yes all the basic elements are the same, and I imagine they could get the rights to use this canceled game's mechanics pretty cheaply. It's a pretty great game, too.

So they have a lot of lazy options already well designed for them to adapt, in addition to whatever creative solution they develop themselves. I'm not worried about the hacking gameplay.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    They can just buy hacknet and add it as the hacking mini-game.

What is this I don't even.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    CDPR has been secretive about hacking, but we do know it comes in two flavors.

The first being basically "lockpicking" and is a pretty straight forward "is your skill high enough?" type of deal.

The second is more along the lines of what people imagine hacking would be (infiltrating computer systems, networks and the like). On this all they've said so far is that there will be a minigame, it will be fairly in depth and it isn't a "win/lose" situation but more of a "how big can you win" system. The better you do the more access and rewards you get. At a minimum you'll gain basic access, but if you do really well you can gain full control of a system and can potentially unlock options to complete your objective that'd otherwise have been denied to you.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I hope they go into social aspects of hacking.
    Learning passwords, getting physical access to the servers, convincing people you should have access, that kind of thing.

Nyysjan on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Give me mini-games or give me death!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Learning passwords, getting physical access to the servers, convincing people you should have access, that kind of thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2efhrCxI4J0

I really want to see Hackers again.

Thought this was neat. It's not the ratio of Witcher 3, but so far it's just preorders. Always dig seeing this.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    It's a testament to the fact that people are, on some level, receptive to GoG as 'good' digital distribution. I'm kinda curious how it compares to other releases on GoG. Though that's probably harder to get data for because they don't get sales info for games that aren't theres.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

"How'd you get in!?"
    "Stood outside with a cardboard box and a worried expression."
    "...goddamit"

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891

I do this for a (legal) living and I can say that it is startlingly easy to do and I don't even have a background in IT!

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

For as much as the Shadowrun Returns hacking isn't the best part of those games, at least they make a really serious effort at trying something other than a totally humdrum and boring 90s-grade minigame or QTE to show "hacking". Time doesn't actually stop while you hack in SR, it just simulates the accelerated actions by giving you several hacking turns per "realtime" turn.

I bounced off those games before getting to that part, so I went and had a look. That's neat, like an XCOM version of Dystopias cyberspace gameplay.

Unfortunately, it mostly made me want to play Dystopia again and no one plays it.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    They can just buy hacknet and add it as the hacking mini-game.

And then include something like the fourth wall break in the hacknet expansion.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

I do this for a (legal) living and I can say that it is startlingly easy to do and I don't even have a background in IT!

I used to work for a network security consultancy. Before I joined, the company used to do physical security testing as part of their services, but they quit doing it. I asked my boss why, and she said it was a waste of time. All she ever had to do was find out where all the smokers went on their breaks and stand out there smoking with them. Someone always held the door open for her.

5gsowHm.png
    Syngyne wrote: »

I used to work for a network security consultancy. Before I joined, the company used to do physical security testing as part of their services, but they quit doing it. I asked my boss why, and she said it was a waste of time. All she ever had to do was find out where all the smokers went on their breaks and stand out there smoking with them. Someone always held the door open for her.

Hah!

My job is gaining access to their networks from inside the building.

One particular time I got in to the server room (which happens more often than not) but they didn't have a bunch of post-it notes with usernames and password everywhere. Which was certainly a point in their favor (there's usually post-it notes). However one of the IT guys was also in the room with me working on a server rack. I simply said to him, "Hey I need to access your system, what's your login info?" and he gave it to me. That was a pretty hard fail. It was probably the most egregious fail I've encountered. I mean I kinda expect that kind of screw up from random office folk, but I expect the IT crew to be a little bit more savvy.

A clipboard, a denim shirt with a name on it and an electrician's toolbelt are quite often all you need to go anywhere you want.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Hah!

One particular time I got in to the server room (which happens more often than not) but they didn't have a bunch of post-it notes with usernames and password everywhere. Which was certainly a point in their favor (there's usually post-it notes). However one of the IT guys was also in the room with me working on a server rack. I simply said to him, "Hey I need to access your system, what's your login info?" and he gave it to me. That was a pretty hard fail. It was probably the most egregious fail I've encountered. I mean I kinda expect that kind of screw up from random office folk, but I expect the IT crew to be a little bit more savvy.

A clipboard, a denim shirt with a name on it and an electrician's toolbelt are quite often all you need to go anywhere you want.

How high is the movie Sneakers on your top 10 list?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Hah, I've actually never seen it.

It might be a common belief that, "Wow these people are dumb" but honestly they're not. Most people are just nice and typically don't distrust someone until given reason to. Expect for the aforementioned IT guy, that was a dumb move. So dumb that I actually "broke character", if you will, and responded to him with, "Are you fucking kidding me?!"

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

You should rectify that.

It's an early genre entry, but is still one of the best (and most plausible/realistic) "hacking" films Hollywood has produced.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    It'd be cool if you can do a full pacifist run. Not only no killing, but never using a weapon against someone.

Remember the first Bourne movie, when Jason comes up with this super complicated spy plan to get some info, and Marie just asks some dude because she noticed he checked her out? That, for 30 hours. Everyone is incredulous. Legends spread that you're some kind of tech phantasm, one who can breach any system, who thinks in code and sees beyond meatspace. When really, you're just polite.

Hah!

Are you cyber Red Cell?

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

Hah!

So, my dad runs a backline rental business. I am technically not part of the business. My mom, meanwhile, is an acting professor.

By god do you know how simple it is to end up backstage basically anywhere if you just have the ability to appear 100% confidant that you're supposed to be where you are and are dressed in reasonably appropriate clothing?

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/

Hah!

So, my dad runs a backline rental business. I am technically not part of the business. My mom, meanwhile, is an acting professor.

By god do you know how simple it is to end up backstage basically anywhere if you just have the ability to appear 100% confidant that you're supposed to be where you are and are dressed in reasonably appropriate clothing?

Yep. It's not hard to gain access anywhere that's not law enforcement level or military level secure. Acting like you belong there and having a good enough story can be enough.

What they do tend to be good at nowadays is getting every piece of info out of you. Most true server farms I've gained access to took everything from my driver's license, had me sign several forms and even got a thumbprint and photo scan.

Getting inside can be easy, but if it turns out you do anything shady... they make sure they have every way of finding and dragging your ass back to them. Most of these companies are aware that the theft they're worried about isn't physical, but rather remotely.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

Hah!

Yeah, I've worked on some concerts and in night clubs

If you're wearing a black t-shirt and have a walkie talkie with an earpiece, no one is going to stop you

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Turambar wrote: »

Hah!

If you're wearing a black t-shirt and have a walkie talkie with an earpiece, no one is going to stop you

Oh man you mention the walkie talkie and let me tell you what, a walkie talkie is almost as good as a badge. It is crazy how easy it is to get absolute strangers to listen to you and follow orders if you're holding a walkie talkie.

Personally I blame the remaster of E.T.

I work as a field engineer on medical devices. Most of the time, I can get access to all sorts of places that should be secured simply by walking in with a toolbox and telling somebody I'm there to work on lab equipment. I don't even say which lab equipment, because that would be too specific and just confuse people. The only places I've seen that actually properly check ID and escorts and whatnot are places that have been burned bad by industrial espionage and the like; companies just don't care about security until they get really fucked over.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Turambar wrote: »

Hah!

Oh man you mention the walkie talkie and let me tell you what, a walkie talkie is almost as good as a badge. It is crazy how easy it is to get absolute strangers to listen to you and follow orders if you're holding a walkie talkie.

Personally I blame the remaster of E.T.

This is making me remember that like... if I knew how to work with the Shadowrun Hong Kong engine, and didn't have severe depression and really, really unstable employment, I really wanted to make a fan game set in Washington, DC based on my dad's business. The concept would be that the team are in fact roadies & backline rental guys, NOT Shadowruners... except that backstage at a show, they accidentally come across evidence of a horrible corporate conspiracy or something. And in the sort of way that if the corps find out that they know... they're super, super dead. So their choices are to just try to forget it ever happened, or to do something about it... and because there's no story if you don't do something about it, well, somebody chooses just that. Then it becomes this delicate game of balancing regular roadie jobs with actual shadowruning.

My biggest problem is that it'd involve doing a LOT of research into local DC culture & history, which is actually kind of hard for me; I've lived here most of my life, but I'm also a huge shut-in. And then into DC's state in Shadowrun itself. If I wanted to be really mean, I'd make the larger conspiracy turn out to be about Dunkelzahn's assassination (taking place at the time), which if you know SR lore, stopping it would make things wayyyyyyyyyyyy worse.

The real point here though is that roadies would make ideal Shadowrunners. On the occasion where they're not actually supposed to be somewhere, they're very, very good at looking like they ARE supposed to be somewhere. And at going unseen, being inconspicuous, MacGuyvering weird stuff out of surrounding materials, and breaking things. Also, one time, a guy at dad's work tried to turn a trombone into a flamethrower for some reason.

(You could also probably run this in Cyberpunk too, but I don't know a damned thing about the state of DC in that universe; it might not even exist anymore???)

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • DoublySymmetricDoublySymmetric Registered User regular

You should rectify that.

It's an early genre entry, but is still one of the best (and most plausible/realistic) "hacking" films Hollywood has produced.
    Realistic, up until they needed to walk SLOWLY across the room with the room temp set to 98.6 degrees (F). Also ignoring that the black box gave you full access to every system in the world. 8-)

Steam - DoublySymmetric (43687993)
    Blizz ID - DoublySymm#1758
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular

You should rectify that.

Realistic, up until they needed to walk SLOWLY across the room with the room temp set to 98.6 degrees (F). Also ignoring that the black box gave you full access to every system in the world. 8-)
    Not the world, only the United States. Redford points out as much when he finally hands it over to James Earl Jones.

Sneaks wrote: »

You should rectify that.

Not the world, only the United States. Redford points out as much when he finally hands it over to James Earl Jones.

JEJ despite his brief cameo in that film has some of the best lines in it.

'Whistler: I want peace on earth and goodwill toward men.
    Mr. Bernard Abbott: We are the United States Government! We don't do that sort of thing.'

wbee62u815wj.png
    Sneakers is one of my favorite thrillers.