As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Well, considering the TV was turning on sporadically in the middle of the night, it wasn't a "the remote can't communicate with the TV" type problem.

Oh that's way cooler of a problem than I was thinking originally. I mean, no offense.

The company doesn't like us just throwing parts at TVs but I'm a big fan of ordering everything that's likely to be the issue and just using the parts I need. Shipping parts I didn't need back is a lot cheaper than extra trips out to a client's house, especially when the clients are 1-2 hours from my store. So yeah, I probably wouldn't order an IR sensor the first time, but it would be on the list for the second visit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Well, considering the TV was turning on sporadically in the middle of the night, it wasn't a "the remote can't communicate with the TV" type problem.

Oh that's way cooler of a problem than I was thinking originally. I mean, no offense.

The company doesn't like us just throwing parts at TVs but I'm a big fan of ordering everything that's likely to be the issue and just using the parts I need. Shipping parts I didn't need back is a lot cheaper than extra trips out to a client's house, especially when the clients are 1-2 hours from my store. So yeah, I probably wouldn't order an IR sensor the first time, but it would be on the list for the second visit.

Yeah, I neglected to mention that (I thought I had, but it was in the Xbox thread)--the TV would turn on at 2 in the morning to whatever channel my cable box was set to, full volume, and scare the crap out of me. Took a while to fix.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Have you considered ghosts or poltergeists? XD

Stabbity_Style.png

Where were you 7 years ago?

Where were you 7 years ago?

We all have our ghosts.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    going to need an old priest and a young priest.

edited July 2019
    Pailryder wrote: »

Yeah, thanks LG. How many priests will I need for one of your OLEDs down the line, huh?

Synthesis on
    Pailryder wrote: »

Yeah, thanks LG. How many priests will I need for one of your OLEDs down the line, huh?

One for each pixel.

• gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Are 1080p 144hz monitors 30+ inches yet?

gBAZ on
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    So I'm looking at putting in a tv, receiver, and speakers in a room that we're remodeling. I have budget between $1500 to $2000 and the television has to be 50" or smaller due to size of the room and significant other concerns. I haven't done a ton of research but I was wondering if anyone had some ideas?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    50" for the TV leaves a lot of room for audio, you'd be looking at around $1k for the 49" 900f as a top of the line TV. Are you looking for some in wall speakers? Standing speakers? Looking to bury the wires?

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    50" for the TV leaves a lot of room for audio, you'd be looking at around $1k for the 49" 900f as a top of the line TV. Are you looking for some in wall speakers? Standing speakers? Looking to bury the wires?

Standing Speakers and I can’t hide the wires in the room as it’s all dry walled so no place to put them.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    edited July 2019
    That doesn't matter really. If you have basement or ceiling access there's almost always a way to hide the wires. But if you don't care, then that's simple enough.

Edit: The Wirecutter has some pretty decent recommendations for subwoofers, speakers, and speaker sets. As for receivers, I'm a big fan of Yamaha. They're more straightforward, easy to set up, and no bullshit with their HDMI handshaking. People like Onkyo and Denon quite a bit, and they sound great, but they're just finicky enough that I don't generally recommend them for most people.

Shadowfire on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Their guides are good, but for the full set one make a note that the ELAC Debut has been fully replaced by the Debut 2.0 series and the prices are about the same. Just isn't a convenient one-click link to make the full set.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Agree; I think the best 50" TVs you can get are going to be the Sony X900/X950 or Samsung Q70.

If there is any way you can bump that to 55", the options for 'budget' and 'good picture' expand significantly; you'll probably wind up being able to choose a less expensive TV than a good 50".

I was just talked into a 65" after shopping for a 55" for months thinking it was the max the room could handle. All of two minutes with the TV on, and going bigger was definitely the right choice...

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Alright, I'm still googling for what's good out there, but I figure I might as well stop in for some recommendations. New TV shopping time.

Last time I did this, plasma's were still the thing for good black levels. So I am still educating myself on 4k and OLED/UHD/HDR stuff. Closest I've been to a smart TV is plugging in my Fire stick.
    The wall space I have in the bedroom to hang this thing is about 56 inches wide. It looks like a 55" can fit in that space, but is it going to look ridiculous just barely fitting between the closet and bathroom door?

Most TV will be watched when the room is dimly lit, and I have always had a terrible time making things out on TV when it's dark, so black levels are a big priority if that's something I still need to look out for.
    And I don't think I have the space for any kind of surround sound, so the built-in TV sound itself needs to be pretty good.
    I'm not against buying a 4k Fire Stick if I have too; the misses and I watch Netflix, Prime, and stream off my Plex server, so the Smart TV needs to support those otherwise.

Hopefully looking at something around $2000 Canadian Funbucks, but I'm flexible if the extra is worth it.

No space for surround sound but what about a soundbar? The Sonos Beam sounds fantastic in smaller rooms and takes up very little space.

No space for surround sound but what about a soundbar? The Sonos Beam sounds fantastic in smaller rooms and takes up very little space.

Do they make soundbar mounts or does it attach to the TV? There will be nothing between the TV and the floor that it can sit on, unfortunately.

A lot of soundbars come with mounting brackets. Nicer ones like Sonos and Bose have mounts you buy separately. Either way they can snug right up under the TV.

How off axis/wide is the anticipated viewing angle for the TV? That's going to play a big role in getting good blacks. If you mostly need to worry about straight-on viewing, modern mid-tier and up LCDs with local dimming will give you very good blacks. Not perfect OLED blacks, but "better than plasmas were" blacks. If you need to watch at an angle, and black needs to stay black when you do, only OLED will give that to you.

It'll also help to set a budget. 55" TVs can run from ~$400 on up to ~$1200, depending on what features you want and brands you're willing to consider.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright TV folks.

Looking at 3 models.

Any particular notes for people who understand TV jargon that makes any of these stand out from the others either in the negative or positive:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/5-series-s517-2018

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu6900

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ru7100

First two are the same price right now third one is a smidge more. So the third one would need something to make it standout and between the first two if either one has something the other doesn't that would be good to know.

Primary usage is just gaming. Just want something to make use of the next gen stuff right around the corner.

As the resident Samsung hater I'll throw my hat in on the TCL. Those Samsungs are fine but won't be any better, and the Roku interface is just good.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    For $2000 loonies you should be able to find a C8 oled at 55" without an issue and the attached sound bar is nice. I got the 65" for 2100 loonies and the sound is really nice.

I think my other tv is a NU7100 65" and it is nice as well, but doesn't come close to pic quality.

EDIT:

I have a question for the group as well, does anyone game with HDR on? Some games like GTA i don't think were setup properly for HRD. When I drive at night I can literally only see by my headlights and when i pass under a street light.

I kinda like it, cause it actually looks really good, but I don't think the person I was driving for in a mission appreciated when I missed the on-ramp and drove off a cliff

Dixon on
    Alright TV folks.

Looking at 3 models... (TCL 517, NU6900, RU7100)

First two are the same price right now third one is a smidge more. So the third one would need something to make it standout and between the first two if either one has something the other doesn't that would be good to know.

Primary usage is just gaming. Just want something to make use of the next gen stuff right around the corner.
    By "next gen stuff" I assume you mean 4K HDR gaming? If so, of the 3 I'd take the TCL. It's the only one that has wide color gamut support and is therefore the only one able to take advantage of any of the aspects of HDR. It's also the only one able to properly display 24p content (movies) if that's a secondary use you care about.
    Technically, the RU7100 has lower input lag in game mode, if you think the difference between 10 msec and 20 msec is important to you. For most any non-pro, anything 20 and under is great, but if your bag is fast twitch FPS, that may actually matter.

None of these will support 120 Hz, as they're all 60 Hz panels, but I'm far from convinced even next-gen consoles will be putting out 120 fps anything consistently. I think 4k @ 60 Hz is going to be much more common.

Senna1 wrote: »
    Alright TV folks.

By "next gen stuff" I assume you mean 4K HDR gaming? If so, of the 3 I'd take the TCL. It's the only one that has wide color gamut support and is therefore the only one able to take advantage of any of the aspects of HDR. It's also the only one able to properly display 24p content (movies) if that's a secondary use you care about.
    Technically, the RU7100 has lower input lag in game mode, if you think the difference between 10 msec and 20 msec is important to you. For most any non-pro, anything 20 and under is great, but if your bag is fast twitch FPS, that may actually matter.

None of these will support 120 Hz, as they're all 60 Hz panels, but I'm far from convinced even next-gen consoles will be putting out 120 fps anything consistently. I think 4k @ 60 Hz is going to be much more common.

There are plenty of PC games that still don't work properly over 60 FPS at any resolution, and that's in an ecosystem (Windows DirectX) with extremely varied and loose hardware standards. Meanwhile, consoles have just discovered Freesync is a thing (well, the Xbox One X has...provided you have something that supports Freesync over HDMI).

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yeah some of the claims of the 4k@120 hz on next gen seem pretty crazy...that's like SLI 2080GTX TI's and even then it would be close lol

I'm not sure how a $500 console will push out that sort of performance when it equates to $3000 in video cards alone

Dixon on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright TV folks.

I can barely tell difference between 30fps and 60fps (which also means the 120 fps concerns are not at all an issue for me) so I think I should be fine without minor input lag delay. I don't really play anything multiplayer either so competive edge isn't important. And yea I meant like the 4k stuff for PS5 and whatnot.

And thanks for the answers!

It looks like the votes are for TCL.

edited August 2019
    Alright TV folks.

I can barely tell difference between 30fps and 60fps (which also means the 120 fps concerns are not at all an issue for me) so I think I should be fine without minor input lag delay. I don't really play anything multiplayer either so competive edge isn't important. And yea I meant like the 4k stuff for PS5 and whatnot.

And thanks for the answers!

It looks like the votes are for TCL.

For a brand like TCL, I think you might have concerns that only specific HDMI inputs will meat the 2.0 (I want to say?) standard, while others will be an earlier one. In practical terms, that means only some (or one) of your inputs will support 4k/60hz that the XB1, XB1X and PSFro can output (the basic XB1 only upscales to 4K, but the point still stands). That being said, you're pretty much guaranteed to have at least one, and as you said, you don't really see the difference, so this is probably not a serious concern. Just plug your console of choice into the best input available, because it's probably the most capable machine.

Synthesis on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Or get a switcher. May not be the exact one you need, but Kinivo seemd well reviewed and I like mine:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-501BN-5-Port-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B0049SCB2Y?th=1&psc=1

All 3 HDMI inputs on the TCL 5-series are full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth, so you don't need to worry about that.

If you can spend more and want to actually get more performance, look towards the TCL 6-series and Vizio M Quantum instead of the Samsung 7100. They get you into decent, or better, local dimming and much higher brightness levels for HDR. But you're crossing that $500 threshold for those, and only the Vizio is available in sizes smaller than 55" (no size was mentioned).

edited August 2019
    Got the TV set up last night! Got the TCL.

Wow 65" looks so much bigger than 55" in person.

I can lean back on my couch while playing games and not constantly find myself leaning forwards to get closer.

Thanks for the help picking it out everyone!

DemonStacey on
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular

I can lean back on my cough while playing games and not constantly find myself leaning forwards to get closer.

Congrats! It's not just your imagination 65" is about 40% bigger than 55"

Cauld wrote: »

I can lean back on my cough while playing games and not constantly find myself leaning forwards to get closer.

Congrats! It's not just your imagination 65" is about 40% bigger than 55"

Well when you put it like that it makes a lot of sense!

So amidst much back and forth, I'm looking at these two right now:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B078GWPQRB/?coliid=I2W3G0TZAQRZ0I&colid=2PKN834PIJXWI&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DY5152H/?coliid=I2YI3LNEOWRG7K&colid=2PKN834PIJXWI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The price of the TCL just dropped some, so now there's even more of a price difference. Is the Sony really worth double the price?
    At just over $700, the TCL seems almost too good to be true. It would definitely give me the budget room to get that Sonos beam bar on top of it.

I think so, but that's a big price difference. Go look at them in a store and see what you think. If the difference is minimal to your eyes, get the TCL.

I can't advocate for seeing a television or a monitor in person--even if it's not properly calibrated, as though that could be properly conveyed in Amazon or even website review photos--if you have the ability to do so. Even if the TV isn't on, you can still see the size, design, and how it will work in your own home. Even a poorly calibrated TV (most demonstration units will be on display floor settings by default, which are not the worse necessarily) gives you some idea of the picture quality, and some retailers actually go through the trouble of calibrating things for exactly that reason. And you can navigate the menus and interface.

"But only grandpas go and see things IRL before buying them! What next, buying them from a store?" Shut up, strawman hipster. If you can, see a TV in person before you buy it--even a related model is better than nothing.

I came very close to buying a TCL 6. It IS amazingly good for the price. But they have consistency issues, the most common of which is poor panel uniformity in which you can actually see the blacklight pattern through the screen on solid/bright colors. A good example of the TCL is certainly (much) more than half the TV the Sony is. The question is whether you're willing/able to go through an exchange if you don't get a good one.

I ultimately went with a Vizio M Quantum for better contrast/color. On the Sony side, you'd gain some brightness and panel uniformity over the TCL, but give up some black performance/contrast (and more money, of course).

Yeah, the wife is going away next week so I talked her into getting her parents to babysit while we go out into town for dinner tonight.
    We may or may not somehow end up at Best Buy to look at TVs somehow on the way there, who knows how these things happen.

Alright, thanks guys. I went to actually look at TVs and now I need to get an OLED. Maybe it was just the stores setup but the LGs were so pretty. Like I found them noticeably better than the other UHD screens.

In the case of OLEDs, is LG basically the only name in town? From what I saw there, the only model that fits 55" (max size I can go with my wall), is the C9 basically it?

edited August 2019
    Lorek wrote: »
    Alright, thanks guys. I went to actually look at TVs and now I need to get an OLED. Maybe it was just the stores setup but the LGs were so pretty. Like I found them noticeably better than the other UHD screens.

In the case of OLEDs, is LG basically the only name in town? From what I saw there, the only model that fits 55" (max size I can go with my wall), is the C9 basically it?

Either the LG or the Sony A9F or A9G. The only difference between the two models is the A9F has a dumb stand that also makes the TV a bit thicker when trying to wall mount it, the A9G has a regular disc shaped thingy as a mount so the TV doesn't lean back. Yes, the A9F leans back. It's dumb and bad.

I personally really like the Sony version and I have the A8F at home. But both TVs look fantastic, and the LG is usually on a much deeper sale. Between the two, the Sony has a faster processor so some of the things you watch might look better, but you probably won't see a difference. They both use the same LG panels.

Two cautions with OLED TVs, though. If you watch a lot of news I would not get one. Burn in is a real thing, I've junked out more than a few TVs after months of MSNBC/Fox News watching from people who didn't know better. Gaming might not be as big a deal, but I'm honestly not sure about that. The other caution is that they don't do well in bright rooms at all. If you can't make the room pretty dark, go a different route because you won't really be able to see the TV.

Model bullshit:
    I said the stand was dumb but still like the stand? Yeah, they changed how the model numbers work between 2018-2019.
    A1E - 2018 model year OLED with the dumb kickstand that is bad.
    A8F - 2018 model without the dumb kickstand and is therefore good.
    A9F - 2019, Has the dumb kickstand, TV model numbers are confusing.
    A9G - 2019, No kickstand, yay!

Shadowfire on