As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It's much less of a deathblob now since the Karlings aren't all automatically allied to each other anymore

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    You can also start in 768 instead and clean up after Charlemagne dies and Europe gets divided 1000 different ways between gavelkind and heresies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I was doing the new timed Featured Ruler (which apparently now has Steam friend's list leaderboards) as King Llywelyn of Wales and was doing decent; I managed to marry the very pregnant Queen of Scotland. Since her baby wasn't my dynastic heir, I did the obvious and murder plotted. Surprisingly, a lot of people were down with baby murder...
    hQsHotV.jpg
    I was able to have the baby smothers, but unfortunately the plot had been revealed to my wife who was obviously quite upset.
    2LyQVqy.jpg
    but she got over it pretty quick tbh
    kDQUxYn.jpg
    then I died in a duel.
    gyxc34E.jpg
    Now I'm playing as my daughter from a prior marriage, and the Queen of Scotland hates me. A fun CK2 run, even though I didn't complete any of the Featured Ruler objectives

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Yeah the "relatives are no longer allied by default" is something I *still* forget about, but it's very evident when playing

Honestly the Crusades aren't *that* big an issue as long as you don't conquer any of their holy sites and reform reasonably quickly; they can't happen before around ~950. The problem is ensuring that none of your zealous vassals don't go balls out and holy war Cordoba or whatever on their own initiative, which is impressive and infuriating in equal measure.
    Foefaller wrote: »

You can also start in 768 instead and clean up after Charlemagne dies and Europe gets divided 1000 different ways between gavelkind and heresies.

You could, but there's no Haesteinn in 768.

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    If you're a true Pagan you can start in 1066 as Erik the Heathen

• Options
    Platy wrote: »
    If you're a true Pagan you can start in 1066 as Erik the Heathen

Think my favorite Pagan game since Holy Fury was when I started in 1066 and turned Romuva into a Warmongering Enatic Clans that had blood sacrifices.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Like Charlemagne, King Otto of Germany has his own personal little event chain that'll funnel him into becoming Holy Roman Emperor (he has a weak claim on Italy, so keep an eye on that).

Unlike Charlemagne, the game's systems haven't yet been tweaked so much that becoming Holy Roman Emperor through Otto's event chain is actually pretty difficult.

Anyways, new start date! Woo!

• Options
    Niiiice

I found out that, funnily, if you want to conquer the world, the optimal bloodline would be the Peaceful one because it reduces Revolt Risk and makes vassals less likely to join faction

• Options
    edited May 2019
    My ruler's wife has been banging successive holders of the office of Court Chaplain but I don't care since my ruler is actually a terrible person

The children are all from different Chaplains

Platy on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    My ruler's wife has been banging successive holders of the office of Court Chaplain but I don't care since my ruler is actually a terrible person

I've long ago given up on trying to find out whether my spouse is cheating on me or not. If I don't know the children are bastards, then the children are not bastards, and the family line continues.

• Options
    edited May 2019

I've long ago given up on trying to find out whether my spouse is cheating on me or not. If I don't know the children are bastards, then the children are not bastards, and the family line continues.

I used to be the same way.

Until the time the children of my totally-not-related-to-me wife started coming out inbred.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If your character is Paranoid, they will almost always suspect an affair even if there's none

I actually found out every time in this case but kept quiet - although I did name the children after the respective Chaplains

• Options
    edited July 2019
    9RPbTDy.jpg8

Okay!

This guy seems to have come a long way to be installed as Anti-Pope in Reims

Platy on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "This? This is the best you could find?"

• Options
    Looking at that 34 Learning he's probably more learned than any other person in Christian Europe

He's also an adventurer, I wonder which place he tried to conquer (I guess he lost and was forced to convert by whoever imprisoned him, then made a career as a bishop)

• Options
    I finally managed to become immortal - it seems extremely obvious but I didn't realize the different paths were tied to attributes

Some people say they became immortal from the Martial path but the chance - if it exists - seems really low

I'm now some kind of Taoist mountain witch

What I wanna do is reform Bön and have this character as an immortal head of religion in some mountain monastery while I play on as their descendants

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I finally managed to become immortal - it seems extremely obvious but I didn't realize the different paths were tied to attributes

Some people say they became immortal from the Martial path but the chance - if it exists - seems really low

I'm now some kind of Taoist mountain witch

What I wanna do is reform Bön and have this character as an immortal head of religion in some mountain monastery while I play on as their descendants

If I remember correctly...

Every Mystic, more often than not, has a chance to be a fraud (90% chance in fact, though the odds of getting a real mystic are better based on I think your stat in the related attribute? Some of the in-game files make it sound like the adviser's related stat plays a role if they succeed in finding her themselves.) This makes the last step almost (but not completely, if you don't mind a 1 in 1500 chance) impossible. There are a couple ways you can figure this out in an Ironman game, though neither is 100%.

First is that your adult heir or a member of your court might approach with a chance look into them for you. If they don't get caught by the Mystic, they'll tell you if they believe them to be a fraud, or they can't find anything that proves that she isn't (which doesn't mean she *is* real, only that she *might* be real.) HOWEVER, if they are devious, envious, or ambitious, they will lie to you and say the opposite of what they found.

The second is to look at the stat related to what kind of mystic she is. Diplomacy, Martial and Intrigue get a hidden +6 bonus to that stat if they're real, and Learning a whopping +15. Since it's hidden, it will show up as part of their "Base" value when you mouse over, which normally ranges from 0-10. So a Mystic with a base of 5 or less is absolutely a fraud, a non-learning mystic with a base of 6-10 might be real, and a mystic with a base of 11+ absolutely is real.

Afterwards, for each step the odds based on the mystic's fraudulence and your stats are the same, regardless of the stat being used or the specifics of the event, with the risky option potentially or always resulting in death if it fails and the less risky a lower chance of success (and usually nasty traits getting added/removed if failed) but no risk of death. The exception is the first Learning trial; it has 3 options, with the money option only succeeding if your character has compassion for the drunkard in the event text (guaranteed with Kind/Drunkard/Charitable/Just, will never happen with Temperate/Cruel/Arbitrary/Cynical, 1 in 5 chance if none of those things) the understanding option always succeeding, and the blame option always failing.

On the final step, with a real Mystic, the risky has a 40% chance of success, increasing based on your relevant stat up to ~60% chance of success at 22, and the safe has a 25% chance of success with the best chance being ~40%.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Heyya folks! I have questions, I feel like I'm not doing something right with my military but I can't figure out exactly what. Does the AI get a massive boost or am I just being stupid? I'm attacking a smaller kingdom, they've only got like 4 counties to my 8... I'm able to raise about 2500 troops total including tribal allies or whatever they're called, the ones you can't directly control but follow you around. The enemy is somehow able to raise about 6000 troops and I get stomped.

Of course I'd saved before I declared war, so I load the save and for fun I take control of the folks I was attacking... and the situation is reversed. My new kingdom is only able to raise about 1500 troops, and the kingdom I had been using comes up with like 7000! Is the game really just that stacked against the human player or am I missing something when it comes to raising troops?

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Heyya folks! I have questions, I feel like I'm not doing something right with my military but I can't figure out exactly what. Does the AI get a massive boost or am I just being stupid? I'm attacking a smaller kingdom, they've only got like 4 counties to my 8... I'm able to raise about 2500 troops total including tribal allies or whatever they're called, the ones you can't directly control but follow you around. The enemy is somehow able to raise about 6000 troops and I get stomped.

Of course I'd saved before I declared war, so I load the save and for fun I take control of the folks I was attacking... and the situation is reversed. My new kingdom is only able to raise about 1500 troops, and the kingdom I had been using comes up with like 7000! Is the game really just that stacked against the human player or am I missing something when it comes to raising troops?

If you're playing as a tribe without the Legacy of Rome DLC enabled you have a decision available that allows you to spend prestige to raise troops.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Fleeb

are they hiring mercs?

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    It could also be that the country in question is more built up militarily.

• Options
    "Defending against religious enemies" modifier gives a large opinion boost and thus to your maximum levy

2500 troops sounds like the tribal army

• Options
    "Defending against religious enemies" modifier gives a large opinion boost and thus to your maximum levy

2500 troops sounds like the tribal army

The tribal army decision gives you 2500 troops (per click, you can spam it if you have enough Prestige) but they're just treated as levies, you can order them around fine. Guessing the 2500 following him around are either allies or tribal vassals.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Couldn’t figure out why my two daughters were coming out with hunchback babies, since I had carefully picked out their husbands.

Then I noticed my younger brother, a neighbouring count, had both the hunchback trait and the master seducer title and trait.

Never have I ever started an assassination plot so quickly.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yeah @Monwyn I do have the Legacy or Rome enabled, so not sure that's it.

@Elvenshae could be, but I doubt it, the tribe I was running before I reloaded was pretty much broke :lol:

@Platy that would seem to be most likely what's causing it, that would explain why it's a boost to defensive troops, but when I attack as either side I can't raise as many.

and yeah the 2500 following me are tribal vassals

Thanks guys! At least reasonable doubt that I'm not doing something totally stupid :D

On a related note, man the After the End mod is pretty incredible. The Mouse shall rise!

Fleeb on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    There are also event troops that can spawn especially in the 867 start, as well as religious wars

• Options
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Yeah @Monwyn I do have the Legacy or Rome enabled, so not sure that's it.

@Elvenshae could be, but I doubt it, the tribe I was running before I reloaded was pretty much broke :lol:

@Platy that would seem to be most likely what's causing it, that would explain why it's a boost to defensive troops, but when I attack as either side I can't raise as many.

and yeah the 2500 following me are tribal vassals

Thanks guys! At least reasonable doubt that I'm not doing something totally stupid :D

On a related note, man the After the End mod is pretty incredible. The Mouse shall rise!

If you're playing on a patch before 3.0, you still get the tribal army click even with LoR. That's an edge case, though.

The opinion mod is the most likely culprit, it's just that it doesn't normally double the number of troops provided.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Finally, religious war CBs will have same-faith neighbors of the defender join in as well.

This is usually why it's better to go with county conquest as a tribal, at least at first, until you're either powerful enough to take on the neighbors too or said neighbors are busy with their own wars, because unless you can pull off medieval blitzkrieg and destroy each army before they coalesce you're going to get overwhelmed in pretty short order.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Finally, religious war CBs will have same-faith neighbors of the defender join in as well.

This is usually why it's better to go with county conquest as a tribal, at least at first, until you're either powerful enough to take on the neighbors too or said neighbors are busy with their own wars, because unless you can pull off medieval blitzkrieg and destroy each army before they coalesce you're going to get overwhelmed in pretty short order.

The other way to do it is to wrangle an ally or two into going in on a multi front holy war, that way you can split the forces up, sieze more territory (and delicious moral authority) and blunt the overall cost in terms of man power losses.

• Options
    If you need moral authority you're far better off raiding, burning down churches, and sacrificing whatever priests you capture.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    If you need moral authority you're far better off raiding, burning down churches, and sacrificing whatever priests you capture.

This thread/game generates the best out-of-context quotes.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Those "CKII out-of-context" videos are always good for a laugh.

"My wife is pissed that I'm banging our mom"

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Those "CKII out-of-context" videos are always good for a laugh.

"My wife is pissed that I'm banging our mom"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShitCrusaderKingsSay/

• Options

Raiding isn't bad when you want it quick, but holy wars can sieze territory that results in more severe losses to a target's morale authority both by virtue of winning it (3%) and also the loss of holy sites (10%).

Also: you now have a location you can launch raids from that can rapidly increase wealth,prestige and more moral authority 8-)

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Remember A.B.R

Always Be Raiding

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

Raiding isn't bad when you want it quick, but holy wars can sieze territory that results in more severe losses to a target's morale authority both by virtue of winning it (3%) and also the loss of holy sites (10%).

Also: you now have a location you can launch raids from that can rapidly increase wealth,prestige and more moral authority 8-)

Capturing holy sites is an excellent way to get yourself made the target of a Crusade that will almost certainly lead to you being reduced to two counties in different duchies where all your neighbors hate you and have a religious cb against you (or, best case, reducing your available levies to the point where your crotchety uncle feels no compunction about naming himself king and rising up in rebellion.)

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Capturing holy sites is an excellent way to get yourself made the target of a Crusade that will almost certainly lead to you being reduced to two counties in different duchies where all your neighbors hate you and have a religious cb against you (or, best case, reducing your available levies to the point where your crotchety uncle feels no compunction about naming himself king and rising up in rebellion.)

One of the places you're always raiding is Rome so as long as the pope is still the pope you should be able to quickly sail to and siege down Rome and tank the Crusader war score quite a bit.

That said in the context of the original discussion I think it's more about taking and holding your own faith's holy sites even beyond what you need for reformation.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

One of the places you're always raiding is Rome so as long as the pope is still the pope you should be able to quickly sail to and siege down Rome and tank the Crusader war score quite a bit.

That said in the context of the original discussion I think it's more about taking and holding your own faith's holy sites even beyond what you need for reformation.

I thought that the most recent patch reworked stuff so that didn't work, but yes, I always forget about that.

And yeah you holding your own holy sites is a good reason to Holy War, but you can also County Conquest without pissing off every neighboring Catholic. Definitely not a bad idea just something you should be cautious of until you're sure you can win quickly, since Tribal troops suck and you're going to lose both wars of attrition and doomstack v doomstack fights against Karlings.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    I find a pretty good strategy for keeping the roving hordes of crusaders at bay while utilizing this strategy is to target canterbury; seizing it gives you a decent foothold in britain, ensures that the karlings can't get to you (but ensures that your within easy striking distance of their coast for raiding) and also screws up their morale authority (which leads to more heresies for the mainland to have to weed out).

This strategy is extra effective if you can bolster Saxony and prevent it from falling to charlemagne's initial push, though that might be just a bit too much for any vikings to pull off.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So I just started playing, and most stuff is self explanatory, if super complex. Got stuck in the tutorial when my army refused to embark on a pretty big navy (like 20 cogs or so?)