As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    -Anomia, a fun, simple game that is basically Speed Scattergories—players flip over cards featuring symbols and categories (“Lake”, “Bagel Flavor”, “Jazz Musician”, “Emotion”). If their symbol matches another player’s card, the two players try to be the first to blurt out an example of the other player’s category. It’s surprisingly tense and quite enjoyable.

Never before has trying to say words and having “mmblflgthFUCK!” come out been so enjoyable!

(Seriously, it’s an excellent, shouty game.)

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    My Kickstarted copy of Trogdor is coming next week

I’m certainly not expecting a great game or honestly even a good one, but this is my one spot I’ll take just a blind nostalgia piece for

Dammit that means mine is! Only days late from being played at our annual board game cabin trip. Poop.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
      Oh nice I forgot that trogdor was coming

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
      Discover: Lands Unknown is tough but fun—took two playthroughs for us to win the first scenario, and when I say “us” I mean one survivor and two corpses. The game set up is a little long but so far I really like the mechanics and the way they support exploration—the game has a lot of little nooks and crannies and I feel like even after 1 of the 3 scenarios in that terrain we still have a lot we didn’t find. It’s a strong amount of content for one box, and obviously you could go buy another box and get a lot more variety that way.

Also, FFG is to be commended for figuring out such a robust health and stamina tracker, very solid.

I like the various health/stamina as well but there's so many physical tokens to keep track of, wouldn't you agree it feels like it would be much smoother as a video game where all that book-keeping would be automated?

Anyway, the wife and I haven't beaten the first scenario of our copy yet.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
      DarkPrimus wrote: »
      Discover: Lands Unknown is tough but fun—took two playthroughs for us to win the first scenario, and when I say “us” I mean one survivor and two corpses. The game set up is a little long but so far I really like the mechanics and the way they support exploration—the game has a lot of little nooks and crannies and I feel like even after 1 of the 3 scenarios in that terrain we still have a lot we didn’t find. It’s a strong amount of content for one box, and obviously you could go buy another box and get a lot more variety that way.

Also, FFG is to be commended for figuring out such a robust health and stamina tracker, very solid.

I like the various health/stamina as well but there's so many physical tokens to keep track of, wouldn't you agree it feels like it would be much smoother as a video game where all that book-keeping would be automated?

Anyway, the wife and I haven't beaten the first scenario of our copy yet.

Lots of board games would play smoother as video games

But then they wouldn’t be cardboard, which is why we love them

ACsTqqK.jpg
    • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
      Was there an announcement that Trogdor has shipped? I ask because I haven't seen anything, but I'm also in the Asia region which is due to start shipping Mid-July.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
      Chrysis wrote: »
      Was there an announcement that Trogdor has shipped? I ask because I haven't seen anything, but I'm also in the Asia region which is due to start shipping Mid-July.

My copy arrived on Saturday (in the US, Chicago-area). Had it shipped to my parents though since we're in the middle of moving and I couldn't be sure which address we'd be at when it actually arrived. Will hopefully get it from them tomorrow and take a quick peek as a reward between box packing at old home and furniture assembly at new home.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
      How do y’all feel about Stained Glass of Sintra as opposed to regular Azul

Tried it for the first time last night and there’s definitely interesting stuff going on there, but I almost feel like if I just took the scoreboard from it and put it in regular Azul now it’s a perfect game and this is just an interesting variant on it

6F32U1X.png
    • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
      Trying digital All Creatures Big and Small

It just seems crazy deterministic. Like, the player who randoms first place is probably going to win and then you both just follow a short flowchart. What am I missing?

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      How do y’all feel about Stained Glass of Sintra as opposed to regular Azul

Tried it for the first time last night and there’s definitely interesting stuff going on there, but I almost feel like if I just took the scoreboard from it and put it in regular Azul now it’s a perfect game and this is just an interesting variant on it

I've only played Sintra once and had basically the same reaction. I prefer regular Azul but Sintra was a nice change-up. Azul definitely needs the "broken glass" container, though.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      edited July 2019
      MrBody wrote: »
      Trying digital All Creatures Big and Small

It just seems crazy deterministic. Like, the player who randoms first place is probably going to win and then you both just follow a short flowchart. What am I missing?

Does the digital version have the expansion buildings? It's got extremely limited replayability without those.

Ah_Pook on
    • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
      The expansion buildings are indeed crucial to that game. Barely any rules overhead for tons of variety: the best kind of expansion. I adore this game with the expansion and find it middling at best without.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
      What are some games y’all have found to be worthwhile solo experiences? More games seem to be at least TRYING to support solo play, not all successfully, but the ones I have tried and found worked have been

- Burgle Bros
      - A Feast for Odin
      - Gloomhaven
      - Pax Pamir 2E
      - Railroad Ink
      - Root, with the updated Mechanical Marquise coming with the Kickstarter expansion

I’ve been eyeing Outer Rim lately which I hear has an AI deck for solo play that I wonder is any good either

6F32U1X.png
    • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
      It’s a bit redundant with AFfO but Agricola has always been a great solo game. The starting hands make it easy to set up “scenarios.”

COIN games are good if slow. I think the most recent one, Ghandi, uses a card-based system like Pamir instead of the flowcharts of the rest of the series.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      Coincidentally, I tried the solo mode of Anachrony last night. It's fantastically mediocre. :P But I had a feeling it might be since they're putting out a whole new, supposed to be much better one with Fractures of Time.
      I haven't played it in forever, but I actually found the solo mode of Nations really good when I got the game. It's great for teaching you how the game works and requiring some solid decision making.
      Solo for Labyrinth was fine, but I distinctly didn't like the flowchart because it can get locked into such a repetitive state it's quite boring.
      I can't immediately think of anything else I've played that wasn't just a solitaire game by design.

edited July 2019
      Gaia Project and Mage Knight, for heavier stuff. RFTG is the one I've played the most by far.

Ah_Pook on
    • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      Two Spirit mode in Spirit Island is a good brain burner.

Oh Arkham Horror LCG also.

Are you supposed to play Arkham Horror solo with just one investigator, or multiple?

6F32U1X.png
      Are you supposed to play Arkham Horror solo with just one investigator, or multiple?

Either works. They require different deck building strategies is the main thing. I've been playing 2 handed so far.

• Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular

Playing solo or piloting two investigators both work fine. Personally, I find two-handed to be more fun. But, if you feel overwhelmed by splitting your brain, so to speak. Then, you’ll probably enjoy a solo investigator experience more.

Honestly, for me which way is better depends on how much stress is in my life at that moment.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
      alright I think Arkham Horror works way better solo with two investigators

however maybe I'm just a big dum-dum but I have no idea how anything ever gets done in this game on the higher difficulties because even me playing on easy everything goes wrong still

6F32U1X.png
      Yeah I've only ever played on standard and it's honestly hard enough.

I generically always hated the idea of playing a board game solo over any other solo entertainment. Arkham horror I played a game by myself to try to learn the rules before introducing it to my partner and it immediately made me a believer in both the game itself and the game as a solo experience.

Then I played through a campaign with one investigator and just started my second one trying to handle two at once with my limited table space (though I've also been hitting the game hard in tabletop simulator where managing two is way easier)

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
      Info for the next expansion for Villainous seems to have leaked:
      latest?cb=20190712185955

latest?cb=20190712190133

I'm into it. The game is by no means perfectly balanced, but it's great at attracting people from all experience levels, it nails the theme, and is beautiful to look at.

I called Scar and Ratigan but expected Cruella to be with them to complete the "animal" theme. Yzma's a better choice for that though.

Also that Ratigan pawn is PIMP AS HELL. As befitting a character voiced by Vincent Price I guess.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      Awww yes. Great Mouse Detective getting some love.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
      Holy hell ratigan is great

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
      Trogdor arrived! Yay!
      Can't play it for a week! Boo!

The worst part is it arrived before I left for a Brass Band competition and stayed in a hotel for two nights. Might have been fun to take, but I generally don't like introducing people to a game that I don't know the rules to.

Alright I have to eat my words as I find that Trogdor is kinda fun

Very light and simple, but fun and charming in a way that I have no idea if it translates to anyone that doesn't have 15+ years of love for the source material

6F32U1X.png
    • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      So I "beat" One-Deck Dungeon by filling in all the upgrade spaces on each character. Here are my final stats:

h16xd33y024x.png

That's a total of 64 games played, with a record of 44 wins and 20 losses (47 boss encounters at 34-13). I played almost exclusively with 2 heroes to maximize the rewards.

Extremely fun and solid game. The game starts with a higher difficulty because you're getting used to the system and you don't have the additional progression unlocks available to you. Once the Healing stuff kicks in, I was able to manipulate the system to min/max rewards and health. It wasn't uncommon to be unstoppable by floor 3 if you're doing things right.

Glad I got it digitally though, since I'd probably only play it 1-2 times if it was a physical game. Sometimes the advantages of portable gaming outweigh the physical nature of holding the components.

Now to decide if I want to get the DLC characters and expansion stuff. I've read it's more of the same, only with some new mechanics sprinkled in to shake things up.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      Finished familiarizing myself with all the Spirit Island spirits with a basic combination of Serpent, Ocean, and Bodan (Dreams & Nightmares). Had to restart after an hour when I realized I misunderstood Serpent's Presence limitation, but it went pretty smoothly afterwards.

Started a stage 1 Prussia with Green and Shadows and won! Now to advance to stage 2. Who's a nonstandard Spirit to pair Wildfire with?

Finished familiarizing myself with all the Spirit Island spirits with a basic combination of Serpent, Ocean, and Bodan (Dreams & Nightmares). Had to restart after an hour when I realized I misunderstood Serpent's Presence limitation, but it went pretty smoothly afterwards.

Started a stage 1 Prussia with Green and Shadows and won! Now to advance to stage 2. Who's a nonstandard Spirit to pair Wildfire with?

Wildfire is super risky for a number of reasons. Not sure what you mean by "nonstandard", though? Like, avoiding a known combo?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      Yeah, he's known to have good synergy with some spirits (like Green), so I'm just trying to avoid the straightforward approach.

Try Lightning's Swift Strike. Destroy all the things!

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      Ah, the time-honored Burnination Strategy, then? Let's see if the best defense really is a good offense.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
      In case anyone missed out on it before but wants a crack at 7th Continent, the publisher (Serious Poulp) is selling their stock of copies of the game and expansions via their store page as of this morning.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    • delf4delf4 Registered User regular
      In case anyone missed out on it before but wants a crack at 7th Continent, the publisher (Serious Poulp) is selling their stock of copies of the game and expansions via their store page as of this morning.

I'm hoping they have enough stock to last till Friday. Had to make a lot of wedding purchases this week so its not in the budget till payday.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Damnit i don't know how but i missed the email yesterday. They are already sold out of the small expansions collection. They do still have the main game + main expansion tho.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      azith28 wrote: »

Damnit i don't know how but i missed the email yesterday. They are already sold out of the small expansions collection. They do still have the main game + main expansion tho.

What the crap I didn't get an email either. Nothing in spam.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
        TimFiji wrote: »
        azith28 wrote: »

What the crap I didn't get an email either. Nothing in spam.

I did get an email, i just was working from home and I guess, was checking my phone less than usual. Did you sign up for the newsletter on the poulp website beforehand?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum