As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    One thing I still really really wish they would have added by now is some kind of shooting practice mode, I don't care what it is. Even just a totally aimless sandbox mode where I can walk around and shoot people. It's just annoying that the only way to practice is to hot drop, which might piss off teammates and takes a lot of time for just a little action.

Training mode is practice shooting. It has every gun type, stationary and mobile targets at various ranges.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Oh hell yes, my first legit solo win! And it was with Wattson, who doesn't have any useful abilities for that sort of thing.

RtblWwq.png

I stealthed my way around the map until three squads were left. My plan was to hide and wait until the other two squads got in a fight. Unfortunately, the entire third squad died to the ring. C'mon guys, you let me down! I guess I'll have to do it the hard way.

Luckily, the first guy I engaged on the other team was a bit too far away from their teammates so I was able to win with disruptor alternator + triple take, ran off to heal up, then managed to evade the other two well enough to 1v1 each of them.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    One thing I still really really wish they would have added by now is some kind of shooting practice mode, I don't care what it is. Even just a totally aimless sandbox mode where I can walk around and shoot people. It's just annoying that the only way to practice is to hot drop, which might piss off teammates and takes a lot of time for just a little action.

Training mode is practice shooting. It has every gun type, stationary and mobile targets at various ranges.

That's totally different than a player who shoots back though. It's just as much about the psychological aspect of it, helping to keep from panicking or choking in a real fight so your aim can be steady.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

That's totally different than a player who shoots back though. It's just as much about the psychological aspect of it, helping to keep from panicking or choking in a real fight so your aim can be steady.

The targets also don't move around the way players do.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Well, I'm fucking done with Apex for a bit. Constantly dying to people with +1000 kills every match while my team is a duo queue that don't use mics, don't ping anything, and leave you to die while telling you its your fault that you got cut off from them by an enemy team, and who make no fucking effort at all to grab your banner.

All while saying "well I guess you just want to be salty bro"

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/c9nvqv/75_respawn_checkin_introducing_dev_tracker_and/
    Change to Disruptor Rounds Hopup
    Reduced the shield damage multiplier from 2.26 to 1.7. It's a minor tweak while we evaluate the full weapon meta next week.

Change to Location-Based Daily Challenges
    For now we have removed location based Daily Challenges as we’ve seen them have a negative impact on the game. Players will still get 3 Daily Challenges.

Leaving Penalty in Ranked:
    We have temporarily disabled the leaving penalty in ranked as we discovered some bugs we want to squash. That said, we will reserve the right to doll out penalties to players that abandon Ranked matches while we address it.

Twitch Prime Loot: Some tips for those encountering issues.
    Go here to link your accounts: https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/apexlegends?ref=_SM_OM_APEX2_2019_CRWN
    After redeeming, you may need to reboot Apex to see the rewards. The skins are classified as Rare so that's where they should appear in the customization menus for Wattson and L-STAR.

Those are good changes. That 2.26x was absurd.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Awww I wanted to try the absurd Disruptor Rounds before the nerf, but I supppse responding quickly was necessary.

• Options
    Heh. A fully kitted out alternator being God tier was fun while it lasted.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    Well, I'm fucking done with Apex for a bit. Constantly dying to people with +1000 kills every match while my team is a duo queue that don't use mics, don't ping anything, and leave you to die while telling you its your fault that you got cut off from them by an enemy team, and who make no fucking effort at all to grab your banner.

Yeah I’m trying to figure this out myself.

Maybe I should stop playing ranked? I used to think I was good, now I’m always the worst person on my team. Maybe all the wins and total stomps I ever achieved were only because there was no matchmaking. Maybe I shouldn’t be in gold league.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    ronzo wrote: »

Yeah I’m trying to figure this out myself.

Maybe I should stop playing ranked? I used to think I was good, now I’m always the worst person on my team. Maybe all the wins and total stomps I ever achieved were only because there was no matchmaking. Maybe I shouldn’t be in gold league.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Pushing yourself against harder opponents is always the best way to get better. FWIW the matchmaking is basically worthless right now, people haven't had time to settle into their real ranks. Especially the people who belong at the top and haven't gotten there yet.

Zek on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Thread, I would like to make the "no fucking shit" report that the L-STAR is uh kinda really fucking good once you learn how to control its fire

https://youtu.be/YOAFnocWXBs

l1o0wyZh.png

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Yeah I had a pretty run last night with both the spitfire and the l star in my final game, even finished off a “light machine gun kills” daily.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I had my first win in a while last night. We had our whole squad and it had just been the one other squad for a while. Suddenly we got a "You are the champions" out of nowhere...and the only thing I could figure out is that a drop pod was JUST landing right before it happened. I'm thinking he got squished. At least, I hope that's how it went down.

• Options
    Leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf leaf.

Seriously, ugh.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    I had my first win in a while last night. We had our whole squad and it had just been the one other squad for a while. Suddenly we got a "You are the champions" out of nowhere...and the only thing I could figure out is that a drop pod was JUST landing right before it happened. I'm thinking he got squished. At least, I hope that's how it went down.
    Could be the zone.

• Options
    I read somewhere that your XP bar gets reset weekly as well. So if you hit the point where you needed 54k XP to level up, it's back down to 9k.
    Which I somewhat expected, but the key point is that progress towards 54k doesn't carry over. So if you end up at say 24k (like me) all that XP is for nothing.

So if you don't think you'll loop a level, save your weekly challenges and your time until the reset happens, and hopefully it can contribute to something in a meaningful fashion.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Bars reset today and week 2 challenges are out.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Man so far I feel like elite mode definitely acted as a ranked mode primer.

Haven’t been able to play too much so far but mid way through silver and my team is just rolling. 50% win rate with like 3-10 kills per game per duder.

I’m the weakest link on the team so I’m sure it wouldn’t be going as smoothly without my bois rocking so hard. But the competition, cautious gameplay and super deadly storm of elite mode makes low level ranked seem so much less stressful

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Man so far I feel like elite mode definitely acted as a ranked mode primer.

Haven’t been able to play too much so far but mid way through silver and my team is just rolling. 50% win rate with like 3-10 kills per game per duder.

I’m the weakest link on the team so I’m sure it wouldn’t be going as smoothly without my bois rocking so hard. But the competition, cautious gameplay and super deadly storm of elite mode makes low level ranked seem so much less stressful

Sounds like you guys are just really good, get out of silver quickly plz so I can win.

• Options
    I'm definitely winning less than last season, and less than the season prior. I'm at maybe 1 in 25 wins right now, hanging near the top of silver.

• Options
    Gold 2 to 1 was a huge brick wall for some reason, then gold 1 to platinum 4 wound up being over in a flash.

I wish pathfinder wasn’t such a natural fit for my play style. I don’t like the creepy robot guy, he doesn’t even have any cool skins. But the final win that put me into platinum was a huge stomp where several of the big plays weren’t possible without a zip line.

The last fight though was against a caustic and a wattson who tried to set up a death trap in an underground area, only for us to shoot all the fences/canisters before dropping down in there to waste them. So even in a situation where you’d think they’d have an advantage it didn’t help that much in the final ring.

• Options
    Gold 2 to 1 was a huge brick wall for some reason, then gold 1 to platinum 4 wound up being over in a flash.

I wish pathfinder wasn’t such a natural fit for my play style. I don’t like the creepy robot guy, he doesn’t even have any cool skins. But the final win that put me into platinum was a huge stomp where several of the big plays weren’t possible without a zip line.

The last fight though was against a caustic and a wattson who tried to set up a death trap in an underground area, only for us to shoot all the fences/canisters before dropping down in there to waste them. So even in a situation where you’d think they’d have an advantage it didn’t help that much in the final ring.

Did you play gold 2 Friday/sat nigjt? Weekend nights are always the toughest times.

That being said gold is a jump. Having a bit more trouble getting started as teams third party like crazy early.

But once you make like top 5 a win is pretty easy as you are more likely to have a bunch of 1-2 man squads hiding for points left

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Well, in platinum now it seems like almost everyone is playing a lot more conservative. There are way more squads alive for the final few circles, teammates seem to universally avoid gunfire, not push unless absolutely necessary. Definitely seems like a pretty clear shift.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Hell my crew and I played some Bronze games later last week, and we played one where we were one of five squads left in the small circle. Usually it's down to two or three by then.

• Options
    Is there a good video series anyone can recommend for how to get better in solo drops? I'm looking for general guidance on tactics, shooting, item selection, etc - not so much character abilities or expectations of team coordination.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Yeah I don’t know, I was just in a match where my surviving teammates decided to just sit on a roof and die from storm damage instead of even trying to fight the final team below them in the final circle.

A lot of these people have more kills or higher rank than me but still seem to take the survival aspect to an extreme.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Still really happy that Ranked Mode has drawn all the super tryhards (and hackers)

Being able to be a casual and still pick up 3 wins in 1.5 hours feels a lot better

One of the better matches from last night:
    https://youtu.be/Tm9L8u3byag

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    i'm not super good at this game. I'm probably average, and I am happy about a game where I get like 3 kills, come in the top 5, etc.

But tonight I discovered that the Flatline seems to be way better than it used to be, at least with a Magazine mod. That, and I got my beloved Mastiff halfway through the match. I had a solid team who stayed together and pushed fairly appropriately, and was able to abuse invisibility on Mirage, who i normally don't use.

The result was my most enjoyable, and most personally best performance match I've had, and probably will ever have in this game.

vb7dcmmskz3z.jpg

• Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    Won my first game as a solo earlier. I had all of swamps to loot by myself, then I played hide and seek until it was down to the final two squads.
    6cm0ljjq5uf9.jpg
    https://youtu.be/t0eIvUGfgVM

• Options
    Flatline reminds me of Spitfire when it was OP.

Also I have come to the conclusion that helmets are stupid and shouldn’t be in the game.

In no other shooter do I go for body shots. But in APex if a dude has a purple helm it’s not worth aiming for the head. Especially on the light pistols and smgs.

And since there’s no tell of what type of helmet the enemy has, it’s just safer to aim center mass.

I mean early game it’s a different story. You can melt faces pretty good. But by late game just use your massive clip to tear that body apart

616610-1.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Also I have come to the conclusion that helmets are stupid and shouldn’t be in the game.

In no other shooter do I go for body shots. But in APex if a dude has a purple helm it’s not worth aiming for the head. Especially on the light pistols and smgs.

And since there’s no tell of what type of helmet the enemy has, it’s just safer to aim center mass.

I mean early game it’s a different story. You can melt faces pretty good. But by late game just use your massive clip to tear that body apart
    If you're using an SMG, shotty, or sidearm with their base 1.5x headshot multiplier maybe, but with ARs, LMGs, snipers, and the wingman, you have a 2x base multiplier, and purple helmets will only bring that down to 1.5x. If you're using one, landing your headshots will likely be the difference between killing and being killed.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »

If you're using an SMG, shotty, or sidearm with their base 1.5x headshot multiplier maybe, but with ARs, LMGs, snipers, and the wingman, you have a 2x base multiplier, and purple helmets will only bring that down to 1.5x. If you're using one, landing your headshots will likely be the difference between killing and being killed.

With the recoil in most guns you’re likely going to miss quite a lot more shots going for the head then what 1.5x does for you.

I mean if folks were typically aiming for the head in this game then the big bois vs small bois hit box issue wouldn’t be nearly as bad.

At 2x or with lower level health (100-150) it’s certainly worth it. But it’s harder to maintain consistent head shots so once you get to 175-200 health and drop that down to 1.5x it becomes way more difficult to see a Ttk benefit from head shots. You’ll miss more shots than the damage increase makes up for.

At least, that’s my opinion on console. But my buddies all feel the same way. This is the one game we don’t actively focus on headshots on

616610-1.png
  • Options
    I feel like I never aim for the head and yet I still lose most gunfights so shrug.

But I suppose there are ranges depending on if you're terrible like me, or good like other people.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I feel like I never aim for the head and yet I still lose most gunfights so shrug.

But I suppose there are ranges depending on if you're terrible like me, or good like other people.

Well my buddy is ridiculous at console FPS games and we both agree for some reason we don’t go for head shots (sniper and wingman excluded)

So even at higher skills like him it’s not straight forward benefit like most games

It def depends on the gun. I just think helmets drop it to not being viable for most guns. I think the game would be better without them

I also still don’t understand the slow mechanic. It seems random. Most times I don’t seem to notice it but other times one burst leaves me in super slow mo so I get chewed up

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    The slow pus ADS slow stack so getting hit while aiming and firing, say, a spitfire reduces to like a foot an hour movement

• Options
    Don't mind me, I'm just going to quietly suffer in the corner with my Week 1 weekly for 50 headshots with LMGs that I still haven't managed

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Kotaku.com wrote:
    Since launching in February, battle royale Apex Legends has suffered its share of cheaters. Some are even making good money developing cheats for players to use. The game’s developers recently detailed some of the steps it’s taking to squash cheating, including a new system that will match known cheaters into the same games.

“We know reports of cheaters, especially in Ranked, have been a hot topic so this week we also wanted to provide a little visibility into some of the work that’s been going on behind the scenes to combat cheating,” Respawn community manager Jay Frechette explained last Friday.

Some of Respawn’s efforts are common sense—developing new systems to detect cheating, adapting to new cheats, and devoting additional resources to the problem—but one is particularly noteworthy. According to Frechette, Respawn is working on a way to sequester known cheaters in the same games, almost like their very own cheater battle royale. Popping off automatic headshots against fellow players likely won’t be as fun if it’s also happening to you.

Nice.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Kotaku.com wrote:
    Since launching in February, battle royale Apex Legends has suffered its share of cheaters. Some are even making good money developing cheats for players to use. The game’s developers recently detailed some of the steps it’s taking to squash cheating, including a new system that will match known cheaters into the same games.

“We know reports of cheaters, especially in Ranked, have been a hot topic so this week we also wanted to provide a little visibility into some of the work that’s been going on behind the scenes to combat cheating,” Respawn community manager Jay Frechette explained last Friday.

Some of Respawn’s efforts are common sense—developing new systems to detect cheating, adapting to new cheats, and devoting additional resources to the problem—but one is particularly noteworthy. According to Frechette, Respawn is working on a way to sequester known cheaters in the same games, almost like their very own cheater battle royale. Popping off automatic headshots against fellow players likely won’t be as fun if it’s also happening to you.

Nice.

I'm perfectly okay with this. Put em all in the same game and let them deal with each other. Then when they devs start getting hypocritical outcry about too many cheaters, they can post reports of the players inside of those games with cheating data to backup their Cheaty McCheat-faces.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I've only suffered once with someone that was 100% clearly hacking. Sprayed down team after team from distance in seconds. But it's hard to tell in this game compared to say PUBG, due to the lack of kill cams.

Fuck hackers forever though, selfish picks. I'd quite happily spectate these matches just to see the rage when they get merced by people with better hacks than them.

• Options
    The hellban is a time honored tradition. It doesn't solve the detection problem, but it should delay them in realizing that they've been caught which makes them much slower to dodge the ban.