As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I finally got a head after a match yesterday.

I think I've drained the krypt dry outside of whatever the heads open up for you otherwise.

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Tube wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    As a Scorpion player, I get the hate for Scorpion.

As a Shang player (and only an ok one) I'm pretty reliant on being able to
    A. zone
    B. punish jumps

and the fact that he can blow up my zoning and cancel a jump into that teleport is a bit too much. I know that once I learn those tricks I'll rock him but it's a real slog.
    Yea, Scorpion is annoying. I dealt with it by labbing his common strings and the teleport in practice mode for a while. Basically, if Scorpion is full screen he will eventually throw his spear or teleport. If he jumps while far from you, he's about to teleport. If he jumps away from you while close, he's going to teleport.

Don't commit to anything with slow recovery when he's full screen or jumping and you should have plenty of time to react to him. Crouch and block will stop him most of the time, unless he tries for a grab. Crouch and jab or uppercut at the right time to deal with either.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Can’t wait till I get my 50 casual matches achievement, I am just not built for multiplayer fighters. People quit after getting bored killing me over and over, even giving mercies

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Now that I’m playing online I get the hate for scorpion

it's ridiculous how many there are. even if it wasn't the most annoying character to play against, it would become annoying.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I had a guy using the spinny chain attack over and over today and if I knew how to punish it as Shang I would have blown him up but he ended up just chipping me out.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Have they done a balance patch yet?

I had a guy using the spinny chain attack over and over today and if I knew how to punish it as Shang I would have blown him up but he ended up just chipping me out.

I had a rant written up but... it drives me nuts how many hits it gets for one input when most ways that get that many hits need to manage with input lag and timing but that's not me actually saying it's unfair or anything, just that when you face scorpion like 4/5 kombat league matches it gets annoying. likewise that amount of mixups within scorpion combos. all manageable I know, really want to stress I'm not talking about fairness just frustration. but boy is it frustrating hahaha.

been playing liu kang a lot but I'm practice with at least 1 other character just for variety... torn though. might end up deciding based on just what skins I get

I did a few short towers last night, only available for like 2 hours, I guess they cycle those all the time. theree's also one for the july 4th with several skins involved but it is not the most fun of towers.

No-Quarter wrote: »

I think they're quite wisely waiting it out to see where things shake out. In the first couple of weeks everyone was sure that Scorpion and Erron Black were top tier and now they're falling down the ranks and everyone loves Cassie Cage. I think the main character who actually needs nerfs is Geras. Today I transformed into him and did crazy damage and like... I don't even have a Geras. I knew I could just pick him up and hand out Krushing Blows like Kandy.

No-Quarter wrote: »

No balance patch yet, they're probably waiting for a break in the major tournaments before making any significant changes. There's a month long window between Viennality and Evo.

I hate that fucking move. Back away and throw shit at him as much as possible if they abuse it. Shangs fireball and corpse drop specials are great for that. Don't try to jump or attack when you wake up after he knocks you down, the range on that stupid spear will catch you. Roll away from him if he's mid screen, toward him if he's close.

I'm cautious about throwing shit as Shang because he can teleport on reaction pretty easily. I think it's just a bad matchup for Shang Tsung. Probably the best thing to do is soul steal him and blow him up with a 50% combo + transform damage.

Re: balance patches, I'd say it's more clear who needs to be buffed than who needs to be nerfed. Shao Khan, D'vorah and Kotal are all in a pretty bad way and have some obvious fixes that need to be in place. I'd love to play Shao Khan but he's so bad that it honestly feels broken.

Try poking him with one Fire Skull now and then, it's faster than his teleport. Throw one out and immediately hold block, if he teleports you can block it and punish him.

I had a Noob player try and bait me out today when I had a 75% life lead and I was just "brother, I will wait here the whole day I don't give a gosh" and that's precisely how that shit went down. My first ever time out and the last 45 seconds was just a stare down.

edited July 2019
    Does anyone know what level the skin awards come at? I've achieved rank 4 now (champion) and would love to know if I've unlocked the Skarlet skin or whether I should give up on that dream.

Edit: From what I'm reading, I've unlocked it HOORAH

Tube on
    nice work, I'm on the cusp of rank 3 on my switch and on my way there on PC.

there's also a button you can press to check what unlocks you've achieved, not sure what button it is but it should be displayed on screen (like press x for season rewards or something)

edited July 2019
    I’ve made it to Master. Behind me, a thousand WiFi Scorpions. Ahead, hundreds of one trick Erron Blacks and chucklefuck Geras’.

Grandmaster is in reach, but I don’t think I’ll hit Demigod before the season ends.

Dusda on
    I’m the level below master and I don’t care about ranking up any more. I’m still playing but just to get better.

you have to guess whether you're getting hit with a forward or back throw right? there's nothing to react to?

geras does so much dmg omg. watching tourney games from earlier today. played on a ps4 for the first time as well and wow that looks beautiful and is smooooooth mmmmm.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I finally got a head after a match yesterday.

I think I've drained the krypt dry outside of whatever the heads open up for you otherwise.

Sorry for replying to this so many days later (just got back from a cruise!), but, I thought this too, even after resetting all the chests, and I was wrong. The Kollector has skins, etc., and I was like WHERE THE F do the items he wants come from? Some come from the towers, but they don't appear to be for the skins. So where....?

They come from hidden chests. So I've been going around opening them yesterday and got some....so there's more than you think unless you've got all his items already.

I currently have over 14 million Koins, 35-40k hearts, 25-30k souls, etc., so it's not a big deal (I wish I could just menu them), but there y'go.

Btw, you lose a ton of points when not playing ranked (which is probably a good thing). I went from Grand Master down to the bottom of Master after being away 8 days. I had only been doing my 5 sets a day prior to leaving, so I am hoping it's not going to be that hard to grind to Demi-God, but still. Beware of the point loss!

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    I didn't realize the move-after-flawless-block cost bar. no wonder no one does it. I'm glad because the timing is so tight, you need such confidence, it would torture me to see people playing that well haha.

does anyone use the extra button to confirm a krushing blow?

Pretty much universally, yeah. It's no extra effort and prevents you from wasting it.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Scrubs like me don't use it. I'm happy if I can get a krushing blow to pop in the first place.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Sindel looks badass
    mortal-kombat-11-sindel-render.jpg.optimal.jpg

I’m assuming/hoping she’ll have an uncorrupted skin. It would be nice to see the contrast

Prohass on
    I feel like the white hair is an important part of the look

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

does anyone use the extra button to confirm a krushing blow?
    I don't. Kind of scared handicapped hands wouldn't be that great with it.

Luckily, I use Shao Kahn, who has horrible krushings, so it works out!

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    It might not be as hard as you think, it’s just holding down the last button you pressed to see if the KB comes out. For an amplified move for instance, it’s holding down the amp button after you hit.

Right now I would definitely rather lose to a Shao Khan than win against Scorpion

edited July 2019
    I saw the first ever Kollector I've fought in Kombat League today and was thrilled that someone is maining that character. Unfortunately for him, I used to main Kollector and was playing Shang Tsung so I monster killed him, then he switched to Skarlet who I uh, also used to main and I got a flawless.

Now I've unlocked the two Scorpion skins from Kombat League I'm going to learn to play him, because I'm getting blow up by Scorpion players too often.

Tube on
    edited July 2019
    Pretty much universally, yeah. It's no extra effort and prevents you from wasting it.

I originally posed it because I wanted to ask how to execute it but I've learned since than. saving it makes sense for sure but I wasn't confident in how it worked but I just tried it out and it's great.

almost at my 10 days of 5 games so I'll get whateveryou get for completing the season requirements. I'm def gonna finish in the middle 3 ranks (I am not good enough for demi god, just a matter of how high I grind beneath that)

legit loving this game so much more than I expected, and I expected to be very happy with it. if anyone has it on switch or PC let me know! not the popular platforms for it I know.

once the league ends I'm gonna try out 5 or so characters and see who I like the most and make it my second. cetrion, jade, sonya, cassie, jjaqui were all people I considered from the get go when I heard mileena wasn't in the game, but I admit I am also considering Geras because he seems so good and Kabal because he's pretty cool and I have his maskless face thing on PC so I wanna play as him haha. we'll see where I end up. for now it's liu kang 24/7

edit - I am actively not learning scorpion haha. when people switch to scorpion after losing I get so happy becuase they always rely on 1-2 things and that doesn't work on my anymore.

people who go straight for scorpion are a bit scarier. many of them (at my rank) still spam the same stuff, but some of them are just good players who happen to be playing scorpion so those fights are obviously hard for me.

Variable on
    I just want to understand Scorpion's strings and know how to blow him up. As a Shang Tsung player, it also makes a lot of sense for me to know how to play the character that I most frequently come up against. It would be great to face a Scorpion guy and wreck them the way I wreck the two least played characters in the game right now.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping it's okay to put this here since it is Mortal Kombat related at least. I'm trying to decide between an MK Trilogy Arcade1Up cabinet and the new Marvel cabinet coming out next month with Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men: Children of the Atom, and The Punisher on it. I'm having a hell of a time deciding and set up a poll to help.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Variable wrote: »
    people who go straight for scorpion are a bit scarier. many of them (at my rank) still spam the same stuff, but some of them are just good players who happen to be playing scorpion so those fights are obviously hard for me.

I found this with Erron Black too. At lower levels at least, I'm pretty confident that they're going to spam one or two Unbeatable Moves that I know how to blow up. The problem with Scorpion is that his stuff just seems a lot harder to blow up.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I play Scorpion and reading this thread makes me feel dirty. I don't play online though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I made it to Grandmaster rank! It was a bit of a surprise, but I happened to get a lot of good wins yesterday. It's very unlikely that I'll hit the next rank (and get the Erron Black skin) in two days, but I'm officially past my own expectations and looking forward to the next season a lot.

I have also made it to Grandmaster! Man that feels good. Got the last of the achievements, too. The 250 towers and “equip five different intros” one were all I had left. I’ve been one-tricking Cassie this whole time, gotta branch out more.

Hopefully I never have to touch the Towers of Time ever again.

I made it to master with 2 huge point gains as my last two games last night. had made it to master on switch a while ago but after my small upgrade it is decidedly a far better experience to play on my pc so I had to grind my way up a bit, but I got to where I was hoping.

I had a lot of fun with it though. really hope it's not too long of a wait before the next one but I look forward to trying out standard ranked, I never played it before the league started.

I'm really looking forward to the next League, I hope it starts soon. I'm not very motivated by standard ranked.

edited July 2019
    my plan in between leagues is to learn at least 1 more character (I've only played liu kang with any seriousness)... first try was cetrion because I lovelovelove the look and flavor of the character... but damn I am really not feeling the gameplay. I suppose I should play against some real people before deciding on that but I've never played such a zoning focused character and I don't think I'll really enjoy it. I knew it before hand but I thought I might enjoy it a bit more than I actually did.

have a bunch of other considerations so I won't bother listing them all haha, like half the roster, but so far after 1 attempt liu kang holds the top spot. I even finally finished his character tower last night. if you had told me 2 months ago I was gonna end up liking the game enough to grind out fatal blows and brutalities I would have laughed.

Variable on
    I'd like to learn Kitana before the next league, and Scorpion (for transformations). I have trouble with Kitana's BnB needing a dash but I just got a hitbox so that might help

what does a 'command grab' mean? it's like an extra grab that doesn't(?) work against a block... but I guess you can't tech it? it's mentioned as a strength but I don't understand why it's better than any other possible move. that you can reposition and it gets good damage?

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    A command grab is any grab special that isn't the basic throw that every character has. They're called command grabs because they use a different command input from the throw button. If it can be blocked then it's not actually a command grab, it's a hit-grab. Properties of command grabs can vary from character to character, the main strength for them is that they can't be teched. Keep in mind that if you cancel a blocked attack into a grab the grab might not work, because opponents can't be grabbed while they're in block-stun; that strategy can only work if the blocked attack has short block-stun, like a crouch jab.